into the dustbin, where it belongs

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: into the dustbin, where it belongs

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:46 pm

In itself, the word "trope" is no more objectionable than the words "conspiracy" or "theory" (or "seriously" or "dangerous"; or"insanely" or "awesome"). The question is how these words are used, what they're used for, in what contexts, by whom, to what ends, and how often. The once-useful term "trope"is currently being fired off incessantly, pretentiously and dishonestly, by dozens of full-time corporate-media yappers. They're deploying it as a further weapon in their long-running campaign to destroy Jeremy Corbyn and get the Labour Party back in full alignment with the neoliberal project. Pardon me, did I say "neoliberal"? Good lord, I'm guilty of using a "trope"... :shock: It's unspeakable, literally Or so the Guardian's salaried yappers would have us all believe. Can you guess what sort of "trope" it is? Right first time. Just like "bankers", "financiers" and even "capitalism" itself, "neoliberal" is a deadly trope, and it's spreading through the unwashed masses like Yersinia pestis. Great Mortality! Stamp it out! No, not the thing, you fool, not neoliberalism -- the word, the word!

Have you been infected with tropes? Ask an expert.

JackRiddler wrote:Trump and a million other yappers are stochastic terrorists.

Nope. Call them demagogues or blowhards or influential brutes or irresponsible yappers or whatever you like, but calling them "stochastic terrorists" adds absolutely nothing to our understanding of terrorism in general or of any terrorist act in particular. On the contrary. It clouds our understanding. All it does is allow a million yappers to feel cleverer than the unwashed masses by using a word most people will have to look up.

It is also the exact same tripey argument wheeled out by the likes of Cockburn and Corn in the aftermath of 9/11. Remember? "BLOWBACK! We TOLD you so!! It HAD to happen, sooner or later!!! Statistically INEVITABLE!! Case closed!!" Of course these heroes of reasoned discourse put a leftoid slant on this alleged (but in fact entirely imaginary and wish-fulfilling) "statistical inevitability", as do you now. It was nothing more than a thoughtstopping rhetorical manoeuvre. It precluded, or was intended to discourage, any closer examination of any particular terrorist attack. Any such closer examination was, of course, by definition, A CONSPIRACY THEORY. And that kind of thing has to be nipped in the bud, as you know better than most.

The aim is to make certain things unnnamable. Cui bono? (Rhetorical question.)

Words are weapons, among much else; some more effective than others.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:21 pm

...ellipses used as periods.....ellipses used as periods.....ellipses used as periods....ellipses used as periods...
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby streeb » Fri May 10, 2019 11:22 am

"clap back"
"going forward"
"which"
streeb

Postby JackRiddler » Mon May 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Which? That?! Why?
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby streeb » Tue May 14, 2019 10:24 am

It's a pet peeve I've nursed for years. Which is why I put it there.
streeb

Postby JackRiddler » Tue May 14, 2019 11:16 am

Oh, thanks for reminding me:
"pet peeve"

I've seen that one used to describe people who talk too much about wars or genocides. They have this pet peeve they're always bringing into perfectly civil discussions.

Similar, which I'm sure has been mentioned here:
"buff"

These are falsely friendly trivializations of the person, not unlike the famous if unfriendly "conspiracy theorist."

And now that I've mentioned it:
"civility" (in the sense you often see it used, to mean shut up and stick to the mainstream scripts)
"polarized," "polarization"
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Wed May 15, 2019 4:34 pm

"absolutely"

JackRiddler

Postby streeb » Wed May 15, 2019 6:21 pm

Goddammit, you're right! "Pet peeve." From my fingertips into the dustbin, where it belongs. And word on "buff," especially if it's preceded by "assassination." Also "word," now that I mention it.
streeb

Postby JackRiddler » Fri May 17, 2019 8:51 am

"We got this"

"downtime"

JackRiddler

Postby coffin_dodger » Fri May 17, 2019 8:58 am

"I don't think ..."
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby DrEvil » Fri May 17, 2019 6:54 pm

I don't think that one belongs in the dustbin (also: we know. Sorry, couldn't resist).

Dustbin material: It's just business

.. which is just shorthand for "I know I'm being an asshole, but I'm only doing it for the money so it's all good".
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Previous

Return to The Lounge & Member News