into the dustbin, where it belongs

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: into the dustbin, where it belongs

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:32 pm

Identity Politics
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Nordic » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:18 pm

The word "protein" used to describe food.

Like on menus: "choose your protein".

Yuck.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:15 pm

thoughts and prayers
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby tapitsbo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:04 pm

Western Mystery Tradition
tapitsbo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby coffin_dodger » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:14 pm

"pre-loved" being used as a term for 'used' on ebay.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:37 pm

"insanely", as in 9 Insanely Tasty Winter Soup Recipes
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:40 pm

"killers" for "suspects", as in 10 Insanely Weird Things About The San Bernardino Killers
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:27 pm

"sources said"

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:43 am

" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "
Belligerent Savant

Postby MacCruiskeen » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:06 pm

"Gold Star families"

:ohno:

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:35 am

"seriously dangerous"

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:24 pm

RI is turning into CNN.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Searcher08 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:14 pm

Cisheteronormativity
Searcher08

Postby dada » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:36 pm

star wars

dada » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:03 am wrote:Total sidetrack here, but I'll say it anyway. I don't like star wars. I don't like the first movie, or any others. I don't like the ideas, the lessons, the philosophy, the messages. Don't like the role it has played in the culture since the beginning. I think it channels creative thought down unproductive avenues. I like nothing about it.

JackRiddler » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:26 am wrote:Si. Sad and persistent effect on culture.

dada wrote:Realizing this was a very freeing experience for me. I've since moved to a dimension where none of it exists. I'm happier and my life is richer without it.

Searcher08 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:31 am wrote:OK dada, you get my Most Intriguing R.I. Comment of the Month.

How do you do this when it (Star Wars) is nearly pervasive?

I think it mostly comes down to what you do with your time.

Besides that, I'd say it's a matter of attention. When I first realized that I didn't like anything about star wars, I thought about why this was. By critiquing it, I untangled myself from its influence.

Then, instead of making 'not liking it' a hobby, I moved on. Now star wars related things have faded into background noise, blending with everything else I'm indifferent to. I've metaphorically 'moved into another dimension.' While cruising the timestreams, there's lots of media debris floating around. I simply avoid it, fly around it.

RI for me is like an interzone hub-world between the dimensions. I park my ship, hang out here for a while. I saw a few references to star wars. It's kind of like sitting around a table at a space bar drinking space soda with the other inter-dimensional aliens, seeing a star wars poster on the wall, and saying, 'you know, that movie sucks.'

(see what I did there? haha)

Now I'll tell a funny story. I used to get invited to these arcade and pinball expos around the US, before I became the evil monster that I am. There would always be a team of guys at these events, cosplaying as a stormtrooper brigade. I loved taunting them. I'd go up to them and say things like, 'what are you guys dressed up as?' and play dumb. Oh, they hated me.

One time there was a guy with a remote control r2d2. I asked him, 'What is that, a garbage can?' Guy got so pissed off. It's all in the way you say it.

It helps that I always carry a guitar around at these things. I'm kind of a unique character with my own gravity. It attracts attention. When I talk to people, others are always watching. This puts them 'on the spot.' I like to cause a scene.

Sometimes I would do a Dune schtick to mess with them. I was in a small room one morning with my friend the arcade referee guy, getting things ready, and the cosplaying stormtroopers walked in to get suited up. I got right in their face and said, 'Your days are numbered. The witches of the Bene Gesserit are coming to destroy your puny star wars universe.' or something to that effect. They were not happy. I think if my friend wasn't there, it might have got ugly. He got a kick out of my antics. He's an avid sci-fi reader.

Another time I was on stage with a bunch of players, we were giving some talk. I brought one of those novelty snakes in a can. I had my referee friend introduce me as "Duncan Idaho." I yelled at the audience about how the star wars universe will soon be crushed, and they should consider this baby sandworm a formal declaration of war, and popped the can. A few people loved it. Mostly got some uncomfortable laughs. Then we did our talk, and I didn't mention it again.

I don't want anyone getting the impression that I'm only about popping the star wars bubble. I have plenty of other trouble to start. My troublemaking plate is full.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:44 pm

dada » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:03 am wrote:Total sidetrack here, but I'll say it anyway. I don't like star wars. I don't like the first movie, or any others. I don't like the ideas, the lessons, the philosophy, the messages. Don't like the role it has played in the culture since the beginning. I think it channels creative thought down unproductive avenues. I like nothing about it.

Bravo to every word.
Seeing the world through rose-colored latex.
Spiro C. Thiery

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News