How old are you?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby sunny » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:26 pm

I turned 46 on Halloween. I have four dogs--Heidi, a 20 month old GSD; Tinkerbell, a 3 1/2 year old chihuahua/pomeranian mix who belonged to the murdered friend of my daughter; Buddy, a terrier mix who belonged to my deceased mother; and Cookie, a one year old Shih tzu with several personality disorders who was given to me by my MIL. One kitten named Sally Heart, a beautiful grey with gold eyes who was reluctantly given to me, and helpfully named, by my grandbabies. I'm really just boarding her since the babies can't have more than one kitty at their house. :wink: I lost my Sugar, a 14 year old Maltese/poodle mix, last July. :cry:
Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Cosmic Cowbell » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:32 pm

I'm 15.

Here's one taken of me and "Chu-Chu" awhile back.

"There are no whole truths: all truths are half-truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that plays the devil." ~ A.N. Whitehead
Cosmic Cowbell

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nordic » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:31 pm

MacCruiskeen wrote:You are only as old as [the woman*] you feel.

*Insert other gender or species according to taste.

Well that sucks, because some days I feel ancient! (and not in a good way)
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby beeline » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:07 pm

38. No wife, no kids, no dog.
beeline

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:11 pm

Champ, around 5 yrs, 130 lbs, male, lab-rottweiler mix; abandoned and brought to me; fortunate to know his name and history.

Kasey, 4 yrs, 110 lbs, male, red doberman (with eyes that look right into your soul); puppy mill dog bought by wrong people; starving and brought to me.

Roadie, 5 yrs, 45 lbs, breed unknown, female; picked up at approx 3 mos of age on entrance ramp to I-35 South.

There are also a mini dachshund mother, Heidi aged 15, and daughter, Strudel, aged 12. Heidi was my ex's wife's dog and was preggers when they gave her to me. Miraculously, she'd mated with their next door neighbor's mini dach.

Year-old pic of the three kitties.

I also have 2 parakeets that I haven't uploaded pics of. See, I'm old but clever enough to buy the digital camera for someone young enough and motivated enough to learn how to use it. I just need to remember to "order" photos.

And I know this is what you read the post for: turned 60 in July. I hear it's all downhill from here. :lol:
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:22 pm

Mid thirties.

I have a spider, a Chilean Rose Tarantula, for a pet. People always ask me if I handle her or take her out of the terrarium. I don't. I'm fearful I'll drop her, and yes, I'm fearful she'll bite me, and that will precipitate the dropping. Tarantulas don't do so well when dropped, I've heard. Even worse would be if she got loose and I'd never find her in all this clutter I surround myself with.

Some day I'd like to hold her, if I can find someone who has experience with handling spiders to facilitate it. When I've put my hand in her environment she always rears up and goes into defensive posture, so she doesn't seem so interested in cuddly love.

I do so love watching her, though. She does a little dance, while spinning a carpet of web on the floor of her terrarium, whenever she catches a cricket to eat. And it is exciting to watch her hunt crickets. She will be so still for so long, then pounce faster than a blink of an eye.

Here she is making a kissy face...

§ê¢rꆧ

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:14 pm

I also have one of those! My son got it about 10 years ago. Some months ago he caught a gecko and put it in the terrarium and now we can't find it. It's still in there; I spotted it once. We'd release the gecko if we could catch it again. I think the tarantula would be happier in the wild but don't know how well it would do. One night I was sitting in the kitchen staring into the living room when I noticed the cat getting very interested in something. When I went to investigate I found Rose (we're so original) had gotten out, climbed down the dresser, and traveled about 25'. I was so glad I found her before the cat or the dogs did. We have picked her up without being harmed but haven't handled her in a long time now.
And at the same time,
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:16 pm

Advice on handling spiders from a spider forum.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=41775
And at the same time,
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

sw

Postby sw » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:34 pm

45 and 3/4

I don't have a camera now. When my daughter comes home for Thanksgiving, I'll get her to take photos of my current rescues

Sonya: age 12...from dog hoarder probably part Chow/ Austrialian Shep mix.

Junebug: age maybe two but acts like a puppy...probably part poodle/ part Cocker Spaniel.... from shelter.

Our ornate turtle, Sophia, passed away last year after we set her free at a local turtle rescue. She did not live through the winter but I know she passed away happy being wild and free.
sw

Re: How old are you?

Postby Karmamatterz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:42 pm

We lost our beloved family dog of 13 years yesterday. He had a life full of joy but also had a serious blood disease 10 of his 13 years. The vet didn't think he would live to be 6, let alone 13. I gave it my best with medicine and super clean diet with food I cooked for him. But his body finally gave out and we chose to put him down rather than suffer any longer.

It's without a doubt the most heartbroken I've felt my entire life. He was so damn much fun and a ridiculous silly dog. Any of you dog lovers will know what I mean. Chowder was my first dog and I didn't even want him to start, but he charmed my heart and then during the divorce he stayed with me and became my buddy and always at my side companion. He was adorable, playful and the world's best snuggler.

Karmamatterz

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Very sad news, Karma. My condolences on the loss of a dear friend.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Elvis » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:28 am

My thoughts are with you, Karma. Thanks for sharing the pictures of Chowder.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Cordelia » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:07 am

I'm sorry Karma; what a lovely dog. :hug1: (I'm feeling weepy that the world no longer has Chowder.)

In March, following a sudden, brief, but aggressive illness we lost our 10+ year old Mastiff. I've experienced losing many animals, and largely accept the ‘cycle’ of life, especially for one that is old (10 years is a long life for a dog weighing 125+ lbs), but I’ve had a harder time w/this death. Maybe because I was w/him more than w/others; maybe because I too am getting older. He was such a big, goofy, stuffed animal of a dog (he looked more like his Airedale cross—“What is that?” a bicyclist once shouted), exuberant & friendly to everyone everywhere he went.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Karmamatterz » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:47 pm

He was such a big, goofy, stuffed animal of a dog (he looked more like his Airedale cross—“What is that?

I LOVE that! I'm sorry to hear about your buddy. Thank you for the kinds words from all of you. :basicsmile

They are such lovable animals and bring so much joy to us. It is a pleasure to care for them and enjoy a less serious part of life. I can't tell you how much our beloved dog softened me up as a person. My kids reminded me on the day of his passing what a hard case I was when them and their mother hoodwinked (LOL) me into getting a dog. The little furry fella really charmed me good!

May the memories of your furry friends who have passed always be fond and bring you smiles and laughter.

Here is one more thing about Chowder. My kid's mom wrote this years ago on a napkin when we were on vacation and missed our little buddy.

Peace out!
Karmamatterz

Postby Cordelia » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:34 am

^^^What a beautiful Ode to Chowder! Lucky guy, being so loved by his people. :lovehearts:

(I just wrote about our big guy's adorable effort once, when his 'guard dog' genes called upon him to 'protect' me from a non-menacing stranger, but my post was lost to the ether. Maybe later.)

:praybow

eta: no harm done to the stranger.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Previous

Return to The Lounge & Member News