Reception: First Thursday, October 6, 6 – 9 pm

Trabant

602 Second Ave
Seattle, 98104
Open weekdays 6:30am – 6pm
Weekends 9:00am – 5:00pm

Sheila & George Colored pencil on layered drafting film 10 x 8 inches 2011

Curator: Willow Fox.
Revenant means one that returns after death or long absence. In this latest series of figurative works, Lynn Schirmer focuses on the process of reconnecting with and re-inhabiting her limbs after long dissociation.

Schirmer says:
“The way we move our bodies, our limbs, is loaded with subtle communication. You can see the product of love in the movement of a hand; you can detect it by a lack of hesitation, unselfconscious spontaneity, and the degree of celebrated idiosyncrasy. Likewise, subtly hesitant or restricted movement can denote weakness, fear, or insecure beginnings.”

This was not quite finished when I shot it last, there are more faces and toes now.

"Revenant", oil on canvas, 57 x 81"
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Schirmer Show

Postby elfismiles » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:39 am

Congrats Willow!

I hope the show goes well.

Wish I could be there to see your work in person.

- SMiles
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby psynapz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:08 am

Awesome! Have a great show!
“blunting the idealism of youth is a national security project” - Hugh Manatee Wins
psynapz

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Project Willow » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:03 pm

Thanks guys! I am excited for tonight.
Project Willow

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:03 pm

Viel Glueck!!!
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Free » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:54 am

Awesome! Beautiful. Congratulations.
Free

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:32 pm

Damn, you're talented, and that's just from web images.

Would have loved to have seen it (as it happened, I was at a show Thursday - no comparison).

How did things go?

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Project Willow » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:35 pm

Thanks Free and JR!

I just got home from walking Elvis :wave: to a bus stop and on the way we peeked in the windows at the show. I need to edit the notice above because they decided without warning to close the place on the weekends for the winter.

The opening was not a complete disaster but it also was not well attended, except for my friends who are wonderfully supportive. I don't know what I'd do without them!

In all honesty, I spent a portion of the evening stealing private moments to cry, but that's not unusual as openings are always emotional events for me. One reason I was sad was that in spite of countless assurances and accolades, in 6 years, I have not made much progress with the local art establishment. I'm showing in a coffee shop, and local writers have gone from making fun of me to ignoring me. This is one reason why I traveled to New York twice last year.

I was also sad that the crowds had obviously been cut to a third or a quarter of their usual number, on what was the first artwalk since our famed neighborhood artist building was evacuated. The Saloon, which is normally filled with nearly a hundred artists, collectors and creative types on any given First Thursday was host to barely two dozen people. I literally sat at the bar and cried. One of the poor evicted artists took it upon himself to comfort me, something I feel quite ashamed about now. I should have been comforting him! He had had no studio opening that night! He assured me that we will eventually rebuild artwalk.

The highlight of my evening was addressing 3 high school students who accompanied an artist friend who is also a collector and teacher, to my opening. They read my artist statement and one of them, who had been a fan of The United States of Tara show, asked me several questions about dissociation. It was fantastic to be able to correct some misinformation about DID in a one-on-one setting. We also spoke about the OWS protests, the environment, and their futures. I had a chance to outline may of the difficulties they face, and also to say that I cared. That was great!

Oh, and I may have sold a painting, but the fellow is haggling with me. We'll see.

The show is extended through November so I'll be there again next First Thursday. Maybe it will be more celebratory.
Project Willow

Postby Project Willow » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:48 am

Revenant Limbs extended through November 27

2nd reception: First Thursday, November 3, 6-9pm

Trabant
602 Second Ave
Seattle, 98104
Open weekdays 6:30am – 6pm

***Trabant is no longer open on weekends.***

Project Willow