Downieville: Strange Historic Landmark - Road Trip Vlog 26

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Downieville: Strange Historic Landmark - Road Trip Vlog 26

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:13 pm

From the brochures outside the closed visitor center, we found out information on Downieville, CA that was fascinating. Back in the 1850s, it missed becoming the state capital by one vote! We also found out that the infamous Gallows of Downieville are located adjacent to the Sierra County Courthouse. The area around there was kind of steep, so Sar stayed near the car while Neek and I checked it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH0IlaHCiuA
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Downieville: Strange Historic Landmark - Road Trip Vlog

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:26 pm

Did you count the steps? All gallows of this sort had 13, no more, no less.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:09 pm

Iamwhomiam » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:26 pm wrote:Did you count the steps? All gallows of this sort had 13, no more, no less.

No, we forgot to do that! Usually we'll do things like that when we're visiting strange places, or if it's somewhere like Angel's Flight in downtown LA where there's a significant number of steps. Oh well, I guess we were just too fascinated with looking up above!
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:02 am

I imagine so! Creepy sorts of places like gallows evokes weird thoughts. I remember visiting a Ripley's Museum in Times Square around 50 years ago and it was filled with hundreds of torture devices, including two Iron Maidens, one that had an opening in the bottom allowed the corpse rotting away inside to fall into the moat below so no one needed to witness its horrible disfigurement.

I still get a creepy feeling just thinking about all I saw that day.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to The Lounge & Member News