C2W Suspension

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: C2W Suspension

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:53 am

In terms of not letting crises go to waste -- I'd like to just come clean on the stealth mod stuff. That chapter needs to end decisively.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Jeff » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:44 am

I thought I'd been unequivocal about that. There was no stealth modding.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:04 am

Jeff » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:44 am wrote:I thought I'd been unequivocal about that. There was no stealth modding.

Jeff,

The entire excerpt below concerns me regarding this, but especially the final quote from drew.

Please address it from your POV.

Thanks,

B.D.

Bruce Dazzling » Thu May 09, 2013 11:27 am wrote:Last week (May 1st) C_W sent me a PM wondering why she was unable to add barracuda to her "foes" list. I suspected that it may have had something to do with his former status as a mod, so I got Drew involved (and cc'd Jeff).

Drew said the following:

justdrew wrote:no one ever removed his global moderate privs

you want me to?

I replied to Drew and Jeff as follows:

Bruce Dazzling wrote:Jeff,

C_W wanted to add Barracuda to her list of foes, but was unable to do so because, as Drew confirmed below, he still has his mod privs.

justdrew wrote:no one ever removed his global moderate privs

you want me to?

So my question to you is ... do you still want 'cuda to have those privs?

Thanks,

B.D.

Jeff never responded to this message, or any others regarding this topic. Drew, on the other hand, responded as such:

justdrew wrote:ok... I've modified the phpBB code to allow people to put mods(and admins) on their foe lists.

I've not revoked any rights from 'cudda

but I informed CW that the problem is fixed and that she can now add him to her foe list, and explained the problem in a way that doesn't reveal that he still has "stealth" mod rights. CCed Bruce on that message. Not sure if we want to maintain a practice of having stealth mods, but it's your call.

Again, this took place a week ago, and since then, multiple board members have posted publicly about 'cuda's "stealth mod" status,
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby Jeff » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:23 am

On my ACP page for global moderators - "Here you can assign global moderator permissions to users or groups. These moderators are like ordinary moderators except they have access to every forum on your board."

There's a list of "users" and the option to "manage users."

The only names listed are

Bruce Dazzling
DrVolin
Project Willow
Wombaticus Rex

Barracuda's name is not listed. And not because I just now deleted it. It hasn't been listed there for me since I retired him from the moderator list.

If he is still somehow showing moderator privileges, then it's simply beyond my phpBB skill set to know how I'm supposed to make that go away.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Thank you Jeff, that is considerably less troubling.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:33 pm

justdrew wrote:ok... I've modified the phpBB code to allow people to put mods(and admins) on their foe lists.

I've not revoked any rights from 'cudda

but I informed CW that the problem is fixed and that she can now add him to her foe list, and explained the problem in a way that doesn't reveal that he still has "stealth" mod rights. CCed Bruce on that message. Not sure if we want to maintain a practice of having stealth mods, but it's your call.

Jeff,

It was easy to read drew's message (above) and come to the conclusion that:

1. 'cuda did indeed have stealth mod status.

2. It was with your blessing.

3. Hiding it from the general posting population was also being done with your blessing.

When you didn't respond to any of my queries about it, it became even easier to come to the above conclusions.

I guess it was all just a misunderstanding, though, the flames of which were fanned by your prolonged absence/unresponsiveness.

I hope you understand why I was concerned.

BTW, on May 10, after conferring with DrVolin, I asked drew to actually revoke 'cuda's mod privs (as opposed to simply modifying the board code to allow C_w to add him to her foes list), and he told me that he would. A bit later, he confirmed that he had indeed revoked 'cuda's privs, so I'm guessing drew can explain the process to you if you're interested.
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby Jeff » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Bruce Dazzling » 14 Jun 2013 03:33 pm wrote:I guess it was all just a misunderstanding, though, the flames of which were fanned by your prolonged absence/unresponsiveness.

I hope you understand why I was concerned.

I absolutely do. And I appreciate how much of it was my fault. So starting today I'll be present and responsive.
Jeff
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Moderators