YNN report on Occupy Austin 1/6/12

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

YNN report on Occupy Austin 1/6/12

Postby harry ashburn » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:15 pm

01/06/2012 08:06 PM

Occupy Austin celebrates hits three month mark

By: Sebastian Robertson

It started as an ideological protest to bring about change, but now, the shape and size of the Occupy Austin movement is much different than it was months ago.

Since it began Oct. 6, the 24-hour occupation of City Hall has produced a fair share of problems along the way. This week alone, Austin Police responded to criminal trespassing, public intoxication and an illegal bonfire in the area.

"I think that co-habiting with strangers kind of makes things very stressful, especially with people that sometimes have mental illnesses," Occupy Austin protester Josh Madere said. "I think we are getting off track. I don't think we are really as focused as we should be with the core issues here, and I'm sad because I think it reflects poorly on us."

It's not the attention they want, and it's drawing with it rumors of a shutdown by police. However, Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell said that isn’t the plan.

"It is fair to say that as of right now there is no action plan to dramatically change the situation, but we are carefully monitoring and studying situations," he said.

The mayor said he has followed through on all the reports and appropriate action within the movement. He said the protest has not caused enough trouble to warrant being shut down.

Heading into Friday evening, protesters are trying to show they are still alive and well with a celebration of their three-month mark.
http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_stori ... month-mark

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Activism