Elementary Particles

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Elementary Particles

Postby FourthBase » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:32 am

Maybe the most disturbing ending to a book I've ever read, all the more disturbing because some readers (hopefully few) don't seem to get that the ending is a dystopia, not some inspirational vision of the future like the narrator presents it. But I'm not even totally sure that the author meant it as a dystopia, I sure as fuck hope so though. As a deep-thoughts novel, it merely wishes it could be a pimple on the ass of Infinite Jest. Still, worth reading as a cautionary tale for any potential world-savers.
“Joy is a current of energy in your body, like chlorophyll or sunlight,
that fills you up and makes you naturally want to do your best.” - Bill Russell
FourthBase

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby FourthBase » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:49 am

Houllebecq is a big fan of Lovecraft:

http://www.themodernword.com/reviews/ho ... craft.html
FourthBase

Postby Pierre d'Achoppement » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:29 am

I never left anybody. It was him that left me

'Michel Houellebecq, France's most shocking novelist, made his name with tales of dysfunctional, estranged relationships. Now his own mother, portrayed as a sex-obsessed hippy in one of his books, has launched a devastating counter-attack in a new memoir. Here the foul-mouthed Lucie Ceccaldi, 83, grants her first British interview to Angelique Chrisafis

In the corner of a Sri Lankan canteen in northern Paris, sits a wrinkled, 83-year-old hippy with her hair in scarlet plaits. Lucie Ceccaldi might look like a harmless, peace-loving old dear, but France is wondering if this foul-mouthed, poison-tongued pensioner is the nation's worst ever celebrity mother.

Ceccaldi's son is Michel Houellebecq, France's most successful contemporary writer, an award-winning, ageing enfant terrible whose nihilistic, deliberately shocking novels have seen him hailed as a genius. Philip Larkin spoke for most writers when he said: "They fuck you up, your mum and dad." But Houellebecq's disgust for his "old slut of a mother" goes far beyond that. When Ceccaldi abandoned him to his grandparents as a baby so she could go travelling across Africa with her husband, the rejection shaped his whole oeuvre. In his international bestseller Les Particules élémentaires - translated as Atomised - he created one of modern French literature's vilest mothers, a selfish, sex-obsessed hippy called "Ceccaldi" who leaves her young son in an attic in his own excrement then dumps him so she can enjoy free-love life in a bizarre cult. Elsewhere, he described the "fundamental psychic flaw" his mother caused in him. He hasn't spoken to her for 17 years. He once told an interviewer she was dead.

But now Ceccaldi has emerged from her beach-hut on the French Indian ocean island of La Réunion and today publishes her own memoir answering back. She calls her son an "evil, stupid little bastard" adding that "this individual, who alas came from my womb, is a liar, an imposter, a parasite and above all - above all - a petit arriviste ready to do absolutely anything for money and fame."

Continued
Pierre d'Achoppement

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby FourthBase » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:30 am

Yep. If your mother wants to bash your teeth in, chances are that there's something horribly wrong with you. I realized after some googling that Houellebecq really does hate his life, and is depraved enough to desire a posthuman future, and he didn't intend the epilogue as a dystopia. You can still see it as that anyway, despite him. Correction: You should still see it that way, if you are sane.
FourthBase

Postby TheDuke » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:41 am

Hey Fourthbase. Less than a hundred pages into the book. Starting to enjoy it....

After being familiar with the Fourthbase 'persona' I can see some of the main characters philosophy would grate on you.

Something along the lines of humankind's duty to wipe out the repulsive natural world lol
TheDuke

Postby FourthBase » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:14 pm

Wait for the end. Or rather, let me spoil it: The douchebag's scientist brothers ruins the human race in the only way that anyone no matter how evil could possibly fuck things up, and it's all under the guise of a seemingly utopian "final solution to the human question". I mean, who wouldn't want super-IQ and a world full of polymorphous lesbians? Thing is: WE ALREADY HAVE THAT WORLD, and any real-life attempt to achieve that goal will ironically FUCK EVERYTHING UP PERMANENTLY.

p.s. I ran out of toilet paper the other day, and have found that the pages of my paperback copy of The Elementary Particles are quite supple and easy to flush. I'm not kidding. I have pictures to prove it, lol.
FourthBase

Postby FourthBase » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:20 pm

Oh, and it's no persona.
FourthBase

Postby TheDuke » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:52 am

'Persona' was meant to be respectful by the way......

Avoided most of your spoiler...will discuss once i finish

Cheers
TheDuke

Postby FourthBase » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:34 am

TheDuke wrote:'Persona' was meant to be respectful by the way......

Avoided most of your spoiler...will discuss once i finish

Cheers

Sorry, lol, I just cringe at the mere mention of personae.

FYI: I didn't even really spoil it much, detail-wise.
Not a large book though, so you should get there pretty soon.

p.s. Discovered that its pages are pleasant to blow my snotty nose in, too. Although, a small part of me sympathizes with the narrator's "new world order" poem (which I've saved from defiling), because the words and theme could apply to any utopian-ish world-historical shift, regardless of whether it's disasterous like Houellebecq's or jubilant like...
FourthBase

Return to Book Forum