What are you planting, growing, harvesting right now?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: What are you planting, growing, harvesting right now?

Postby Hammer of Los » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:24 am

What am I planting, growing, harvesting right now?

It's that old mustard seed.

I think it's growin' ok.

It sure needs something though.

Watering, maybe.

Still a long way from harvest time.

I told you I wasn't a gardener. I can't do it alone.

Hammer of Los

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby ShinShinKid » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:57 pm

Getting some peas now, squash and zucchini are coming soon.
I am harvesting Moringa leaves on a daily basis, munching a few a day...
I just planted a fig tree, and I am actively looking for a Honey Mesquite; I hear it makes a fine tea.

A friend just gave me a terraced planter, so I also have some strawberries, thyme, rosemary, basil, lavender, and peppermint out of that. The Flat Parsley is going crazy, and native; and with any luck I might have serrano pepper or two.

Cauliflower looks healthy, the chives are going nuts, and my plum cherry tomato seeds finally took. I also have single Daikon radish that just bloomed...
Well played, God. Well played".
ShinShinKid

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Perelandra » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:42 pm

This probably belongs under poetry, but the circular theme goes here, too.
The crocuses and the larch turning green every year a week before the others and the pastures red with uneaten sheep's placentas and the long summer days and the newmown hay and the wood pigeon in the morning and the cuckoo in the afternoon and the corncrake in the evening and the wasps in the jam and the smell of the gorse and the look of the gorse and the apples falling and the children walking in the dead leaves and the larch turning brown a week before the others and the chestnuts falling and the howling winds and the sea breaking over the pier and the first fires and the hooves on the road and the consumptive postman whistling "The Roses are Blooming in Picardy" and the standard oil-lamp and of course the snow and to be sure the sleet and bless your heart the slush and every fourth year the February debacle and the endless April showers and the crocuses and then the whole bloody business starting all over again.

Samuel Beckett, Watt
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Postby Perelandra » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:49 pm

ShinShinKid wrote:I am harvesting Moringa leaves on a daily basis, munching a few a day...
Another gardener! :thumbsup
I can't believe I somehow missed Moringa, thanks.

I'm going to put my fig tree on Craigslist, it's just too cool for it here. I did get a couple Chilean guava and am excited to grow them. Not a lot new, as life demands other activities, but am happy it's spring.

HLos, your avatar is evolving, I see. Cheers, all.
Perelandra

Postby ShinShinKid » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:50 am

Yes, I discovered Moringa whilst trying to make my yard "edible". Most of it already is, it's just super sparse. We moved, and our new neighborhood is quite the concrete jungle. I am trying to make the place more verdant, but it's pricey...My next big project is water collection.
ShinShinKid

Re:

Postby Hammer of Los » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Perelandra wrote:This probably belongs under poetry, but the circular theme goes here, too.
The crocuses and the larch turning green every year a week before the others and the pastures red with uneaten sheep's placentas and the long summer days and the newmown hay and the wood pigeon in the morning and the cuckoo in the afternoon and the corncrake in the evening and the wasps in the jam and the smell of the gorse and the look of the gorse and the apples falling and the children walking in the dead leaves and the larch turning brown a week before the others and the chestnuts falling and the howling winds and the sea breaking over the pier and the first fires and the hooves on the road and the consumptive postman whistling "The Roses are Blooming in Picardy" and the standard oil-lamp and of course the snow and to be sure the sleet and bless your heart the slush and every fourth year the February debacle and the endless April showers and the crocuses and then the whole bloody business starting all over again.

Samuel Beckett, Watt

The Cuckoo?

Cuckoo in the Nest.

I really like you Perry.

From the notes of the Magic Harp;

"Hear now Cuckoo of Ken Kesey!
Merely improbable be easy!"

More to come.

Stay tuned.

Hammer of Los

Postby Perelandra » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:17 pm

^Thank you, it's but a scrap that I recently found again and thought to share. Haven't read the book, though.

ShinShinKid, best of luck with it all. Don't forget craigslist and ebay for plants and used items. Your local gardenweb can be useful in research and possible seed and plant barter or trade.
http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/ukgard/
I've been slowly converting my smallish yard to mostly edible species. The Moringa must be potted?
Off to look up dandelion wine. :sun:
Perelandra

Postby ShinShinKid » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:06 pm

We've got too many figs to eat, we're drying, and freezing them. We have grape and roma tomatoes...and we've got some watermelon...a couple of chiles, some garlic, and somehow the strawberries are still alive, but just barely.
ShinShinKid

Postby Perelandra » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:22 pm

Hey, SSK. Glad you had a good year, so did we. Last winter a prolonged cold spell killed my lemon tree and chilean guava babies. Gardening keeps you learning, eh. I probably need a small heater for the greenhouse.

It was a good summer extended into fall. Many volunteer potatoes. We grew lots of tomatoes, I'm tired of them now. One eggplant, which is fine because I'm not a fan. Tons of basil. Lots of peaches, but have decided I don't like the variety I planted a few years ago. Will probably craigslist it. Golden beets are awesome, but can be hard to germinate. Rainbow chard is the prettiest thing in a garden. Got five small cantaloupes, which I will never grow again, will do other melon instead. I was excited to taste a homegrown one, and they are super sweet and juicy. However, I just don't LIKE the taste.

Must plant lettuce and carrots, maybe garlic and onions soon, as the rains are coming.
Perelandra

Previous

Return to Self Sufficiency