What are you planting, growing, harvesting right now?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: What are you planting, growing, harvesting right now?

Postby dqueue » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:24 pm

Sugar snaps are in the bed. Hops are back, and quite vigorous. Mint looks happy. I need to move a sage bush, mix in some compost, and put in more seeds.

In the meantime, I'm foraging morels. Very dry here, but I consider my good fortune to leave the woods with 3/4-LB last weekend. I aim to get out some more this coming...
We discover ourselves to be characters in a novel, being both propelled by and victimized by various kinds of coincidental forces that shape our lives. ... It is as though you trapped the mind in the act of making reality. - Terence McKenna
dqueue

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Perelandra » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:54 pm

Oh you lucky soul...I love morels. I think the last time I bought them they were about $30/lb. I want to try to find some around here, maybe on the weekend.

It's time to harvest the overwintered kale now, as it's about to bloom. I've been procrastinating on my planting and anytime I see this it's motivating, so thanks!

Dirt is good for us, but we knew that.
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Re:

Postby dqueue » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Perelandra wrote:Oh you lucky soul...I love morels. I think the last time I bought them they were about $30/lb. I want to try to find some around here, maybe on the weekend.

It's time to harvest the overwintered kale now, as it's about to bloom. I've been procrastinating on my planting and anytime I see this it's motivating, so thanks!

Dirt is good for us, but we knew that.

It remains so very dry here in Virginia. I haven't had a chance to get back out to hunt morels; though, sustained cool temperatures give me hope the season continues. Rain would REALLY bolster my hopes! I have been surprised to learn the breadth of morel availability across much of the country. Really, I have met folks, or read about people finding morels in so many different states! They are a real treat!

I don't know what price they're fetching wholesale this year. At the farmer's market, they always open at $20/pint! Outrageous.

It remains just a little bit early to plant too much here. An early warm spell has been followed by more seasonal temps. Then, there have been a handful of unexpected freeze warnings. Overall, my procrastination has paid off, this time!

And I'm quite glad to provide a little motivation. You're welcome. And thanks for the kind words!
We discover ourselves to be characters in a novel, being both propelled by and victimized by various kinds of coincidental forces that shape our lives. ... It is as though you trapped the mind in the act of making reality. - Terence McKenna
dqueue

Postby barracuda » Wed May 23, 2012 11:17 pm

The loquats are ripening to a golden yellow. Hundreds of them. Probably enough to fill two five gallon buckets. They have the most amazingly unique, sweet, complex, aromatic flavor. I think they've become my favorite fruit, except maybe for the boysenberries, which are just beginning to turn purple.

Something went very right here this year in terms of the weather, because it is extraordinarily lush and verdant in a way I haven't witnessed before.
barracuda

Postby Perelandra » Thu May 24, 2012 4:48 pm

I always marvel at how every year is different. The gardens are going along well here, too. I returned from a two week trip awhile ago and the flowers had just exploded. Now we just need more heat, which I heard is coming soon. (I'll believe it when I see it.)

The garlic, herbs, and greens are rampant, and we should have our abundance of strawberries shortly. I avert my eyes from the Mexican guys selling the enormous tasteless ones at the stop sign up the street. Little green cherries are growing and I still have figs on the tree from last fall. I hope they'll grow again. Whatever I don't have I can easily pick up at a couple of farm markets nearby, luckily. Last week I found baby Walla Walla onions and garlic.

I took some photos upon my return, but am still learning the new OS on my pc and at least this one browser I have only likes RI about 50% of the time. Will keep at it and hopefully post some pics.

Loquats sound intriguing, thanks. I'll look them up on my local mail-order source.
Perelandra

Postby Hammer of Los » Sun May 27, 2012 10:22 pm

I have a hornbeam stave.

I acquired it at an ancient coppiced woodland that goes by the name of Marvel's Wood.

No, I ain't kiddin'.

Every wizard needs a staff.

I already have a number of wands and rods.

But I have to wait for the staff to cure, then I shall carve it.

I love to swing my stick.

It's monkey magic.

Yet the rod of Hermes is white.

Hammer of Los

Postby Perelandra » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Magical gardens. I saw a tiger (swallowtail) in mine today. Be careful waving that staff around. You should post a photo when it's done.

These little bugs I've never seen before. They were tiny and more like a blue-green against the leaf.
IMG_5349.JPG

IMG_5351.JPG

IMG_5357.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perelandra

Postby Perelandra » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Cherries and tall garlic.
IMG_5437.JPG

Miniscule grapes.
IMG_5440.JPG

Mini harvest today.
IMG_5443.JPG

Also just stuck my hand in the soil in a couple of places, and voila! Lovely potatoes that I didn't even plant, they're volunteers. I recently heard bad news about the summer weather to come, but we'll see...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perelandra

Postby barracuda » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:39 pm

The back yard, with obligatory dancing faerie child:

The first hibiscus flower of the season blossomed this week, my personal signal that summer's begun.

barracuda

Postby Perelandra » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Lovely!

For me, it's borage.
IMG_5565.JPG

Felis in origanum.
IMG_5554.JPG

Lots of strawberries are ripe and the cherries nearly there. Another day, I will get more photos of my beloved amazing sour cherries. I don't like this three-limit attachment thingy, but it's how it must be done for now.
IMG_5559.JPG
Perelandra

Postby Perelandra » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Well, I am grumpy that my camera has been missing for several days now. When I find it, will have lots of photos to post.

Today I picked my second good-sized bowl of black raspberries, not bad for one shrub. Over the weekend, I picked as many sour cherries as I could, waited too long and they were almost too far gone. Got enough for a small batch of jam. Now looking for the other berries and stone fruits.

The garlic was pulled the other day and it is awesome, heads the size of my fist. Still getting potatoes and peas and I have lots of baby zucchini growing. There are plenty of small green tomatoes, but I'm not too hopeful for them, for it's another not so great summer thus far. In fact, I must get out in the sun, as tomorrow it's back to chilly again.
:grumpy
Perelandra

Postby Perelandra » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Found the camera awhile ago. So these are a bit older now, but there's more to come. Among other things, I have four smallish peaches on my little tree, so exciting.
IMG_5569.JPG

IMG_5571.JPG

IMG_5608.JPG
Perelandra

Postby Perelandra » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:35 pm

IMG_5615.JPG

IMG_5624.JPG

A few days ago...another image was too big to attach (?), but it was just a pile of zucchini anyway. Everybody's seen those. I'm fearful that my tomatoes won't ripen, and it's off to the farmers' market today to buy some from folks with greenhouses. Gave away the cheap greenhouse that blew apart in the first winter windstorm a couple years ago and am seriously considering investing more $ in a more durable setup. This no tomatoes thing is tough to take, plus there are many other reasons.
Perelandra

Postby Perelandra » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:37 pm

Now is the best harvest time of the year for nearly everything here, but especially peaches. My own four little ones were like pebbles compared to the softball-sized, glowing, perfumey fruits brought over from east of the mountains. I'm debating whether to get a whole box, maybe next week.

The tomato goddess has blessed me beyond any expectation, probably because of the varieties that were planted. Some did very well indeed. Next year I hope will be awesome, as I'm in the prepping phase for the indestructible new greenhouse, as well as a new raised bed.

I've had such an array of tech problems lately that made posting images difficult, but I noticed drew would like to discourage the use of attachements. So no photos right now, but maybe I'll get it sorted before long. Wish I could see more of others' gardens.
:sun:
Perelandra

Postby Perelandra » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:54 pm

Harvesting wild blackberries and rose hips. Remarkably to me, I have some grapes that are beginning to ripen. They aren't very big, maybe index finger size, but they're delicious and seedless. I must plant some carrots and onions to overwinter soon, maybe pull up some damn tomatoes to make room. :clown
Perelandra

PreviousNext

Return to Self Sufficiency