Autopoiesis-how systems recreate themselves (Krippendorf)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Autopoiesis-how systems recreate themselves (Krippendorf)

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:12 pm

Psyops is a tool of creating and maintaining a social engine.
This process is known as
AUTOPOIESIS which just means "self-production."

The National inSecurity State's Operation Mockingbird sysem of CIA media is an institutionalization of government autopoiesis.

That stupid movie, 'Krippendorf's Tribe,' was a negative framing of the real Klaus Krippendorf who has been a big academic name in content analysis, cybernetics theory and linguistics, all of which are tools of scientific fascism.
http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/krippendorff/RECENT1.html

Krippendorf wrote a 1995 paper about how Power uses language called 'Undoing Power.'
http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/krippendorff/POWER.htm
Our experiment demonstrates that languaging -- the process of people co-ordinating their voicing and listening, their writing and reading, their feelings and doings and their being-with each other -- virtually "says" things into being, "brings forth" ways of seeing.

Languaging is a social process in which we jointly construct realities for each of us to see, occupy and to talk into. Evidently, languaging can open our "eyes" to alternative ways of seeing and create new ways of being-with Others. Talking or writing of power is just one example which we shall now explore.

This 'Undoing Power' paper is probably what provoked the 1998 Richard Dreyfuss movie dissing Krippendorf.
This awareness of the power of nuts and bolts language, of citizen power to shape the world by realizing language control IS mind control...this is not what Power wants us to know about just before a big increase in oil warring.

Krippendorf wrote about how we are conditioned to perceive things Power's way.
Power tries to control the definitions of important words.
This is what I've been pointing at here at RI and which Jeff is now trying to weed out of discussions as 'mere keyword hijacking.'

Cybernetics is an excellent model for understanding linguistics and social control, especially now that the internet plays a big part in this.

Power uses media (language) to make people do what they're supposed to do, a model of autopoiesis. Since WWII it has been the job of military-intelligence to covertly control civilian populations using language in media psy-ops to create social cohesion and warriors.

source-
http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/Asc/IndexASC.html
Web Dictionary of Cybernetics and Systems

This dictionary is a combination (with permission) of theASC Glossary, Krippendorff's Dictionary andHornung's Glossary.

Autopoiesis-
http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/Asc/AUTOPOIESIS.html

AUTOPOIESIS
the process whereby an organization produces itself.

An autopoietic organization is an autonomous and self-maintaining unity which contains component-producing processes. The components, through their interaction, generate recursively the same network of processes which produced them.

An autopoietic system is operationally closed and structurally state determined with no apparent inputs and outputs. A cell, an organism, and perhaps a corporation are examples of autopoietic systems. See allopoiesis. (F. Varela) Literally, self-production.

The property of systems whose components
(1) participate recursively in the same network of productions that produced them, and
(2) realize the network of productions as a unity in the space in which the components exist (after Varela) (see recursion).

Autopoiesis is a process whereby a system produces its own organization and maintains and constitutes itself in a space. E.g., a biological cell, a living organism and to some extent a corporation and a society as a whole. (krippendorff)
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby brainpanhandler » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:00 am

Alright and I get this, but I doubt the general populace would or if they did they would not pay it a whole lot of heed as people tend to place way more faith in their individuality than is warranted and so the Krippendorf's Tribe film, if indeed it is a keyword hijacking, is overkill. The social process of languaging seems to me to be a largely subconscious process. Consciously people see themselves as directing their own thoughts, even when the evidence to the contrary is overwhelming. Nonetheless, that is not a valid argument against the theory that the film Krippendorf's Tribe was intended to divert attention away from or negatively frame a theory which purports to explain how language can shape our perceptions and indeed, our realities.

What percentage of the population do you suppose would want to understand or could understand the model of autopoiesis and how it could be covertly applied by USG counterpropagandists to control thought and the "mainstream narrative"? Who wants to believe that much of their worldview is an inherited herd mentality and they have been manipulated since childhood by not only overt propaganda but by the very culture itself which most people notice about as often as they notice they are surrounded by air? I ask this not with the purpose of dismissing your theory that Krippendorf's Tribe is a psyop, but rather as a way of assessing the chances that the populace might wish to begin creating their own mainstream narrative that serves the greater good.

If the mainstream narratives the USG wishes to promote are self perpetuating, and I can understand how they would be even without the model of autopoiesis, and regular folks assist in this process subconsciously, what hope is there of turning this around? (Especially when one considers all the other variables in play, like the deliberate dumbing down of the public education system).

I've struggled through Chomsky's Knowledge of Language a couple of times. Although it was written so as to be more accessible to the layman I still find it very difficult to assimilate. Linguistics makes my head hurt.

Out of curiosity I googled Chomsky and autopoiesis and ran across the following article:

http://informatics.indiana.edu/rocha/emcsr96.html

Our point here, in simple terms, is that language has likewise opened up a whole new universe of meaning for cognitive systems, as they can access the dynamics of classification beyond local interactions. That is, communication between individuals, as well as internally, is not restricted to only those things we can "show" or otherwise somehow physically mimic: the displacement of local observations. Language may be, as the genetic system, a method to point to and reach a particular dynamics necessary in a particular context. It may allow a (fairly) random access to an otherwise distributed memory, defining a more sophisticated system of structural perturbation.

4 Metaphor and Evolutionary Constructivism

We can thus say that the existence and use of a language is thunderously transformational. The categorical constraints of, purely classifying, instinct-level autopoiesis can be accessed and recontextualized through the consensual, willful exercise of a system of perturbations. It is the recognition of the access to and limited control over a previously closed, interior ecology of largely autopoietic processes that more than likely gave rise to the myths, prevalent in all ancient cultures, that language was a gift of the gods and made human beings god-like in its acquisition [Cassirer, 1946].
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby OP ED » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:21 am

Hugh do you know anyone at Principia Cybernetica?

just curious.
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore:
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.

:: ::
S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Postby orz » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:21 pm

That stupid movie, 'Krippendorf's Tribe,' was a negative framing of the real Klaus Krippendorf

Klaus Krippendorf would probably disagree with this theory.
orz

Postby OP ED » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:35 am

bumped for my curiousity.

S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Postby OP ED » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:22 am

OP ED wrote:bumped for my curiousity.

S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:10 pm

I bumped into Francisco Varela all the time when I was growing up...that got my attention off the title alone, but this was an excellent thread, a lot more meat than than the usual HMW presentation. Very glad I found this.
Wombaticus Rex

Re: Autopoiesis-how systems recreate themselves (Krippendorf

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:52 am

Gotta add, though, the real Klaus has two "f"s at the end of his name.

Re-reading "Undoing Power" today in light of my past year or so of reading, it's a whole new essay. Thanks again.
Wombaticus Rex

Re: Autopoiesis-how systems recreate themselves (Krippendorf

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:57 am

Uh, the OTHER "Krippendorf." And the one who probably evoked the movie decoy, reinforced by the cybernetics Krippendorf. Two targets firm up a decoy effort more than just one.

Yah. The Krippendorf linked to CIA media in Germany.

From am awkward 2006 translation in another of my threads on CIA media-
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24004
Dr. Ekkehart Krippendorf (crib village) was until recently a professor at
the free University of Berlin and already as a student author of the
literature magazine DER MONAT
“the month”. It was CO-financed of the CIA.
“We ran into a trap”, say Krippendorff today.
(Picture: Second German
television/Guy Mertin)
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Return to Psyops and Meme Management