Bolsonaro Family Death Squad Killed Marielle Franco?!

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Bolsonaro Family Death Squad Killed Marielle Franco?!

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:40 am

This has been the news in Brazil for weeks, obscured from us by all the other noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4edeJiqY41E

https://theintercept.com/2019/01/24/vid ... ee-brazil/

A DRAMATIC, MULTI-LEVEL, and increasingly dark scandal has been engulfing the Brazilian presidency of Jair Bolsonaro for the last month. It began just weeks after his stunning November victory but before he was inaugurated on January 1, and has completely paralyzed his presidency ever since. Just this week in Davos, where Brazil planned to unveil its new face to foreign capital, Bolsonaro and his top ministers left a long-scheduled press conference empty to avoid answering questions about any of this, causing empty chairs abandoned by fear — rather than vibrant, investor-friendly policies — to be the face of the new government.

Folha de S.Paulo ✔ @folha
Bolsonaro cancela entrevista em Davos e culpa comportamento da imprensa ----> https://bit.ly/2T9adul #folha #Bolsonaro
4,525 5:02 PM - Jan 23, 2019

The scandal most centrally involves Bolsonaro’s eldest son, Flávio, who has long been a state deputy from Rio de Janeiro, but was just elected to the Federal Senate with a massive vote total in the last election. The scandal began with the discovery of highly suspicious payments into and out of the account of Flávio’s driver, a former police officer and long-time friend of the president’s.

Each new discovery has escalated the scandal’s seriousness: One unexplained deposit was found going into the account of Jair Bolsonaro’s wife, Michelle; both the driver and Flávio himself began using highly suspicious maneuvers to try to stymie the investigation; the amounts of the suspicious transfers began rapidly increasing to US$2 million; and then deposits were found going into Flávio’s accounts in small increments of multiple deposits in rapid succession: at times up to 10 cash deposits made within three minutes, the hallmark of money laundering and evading banking regulations.

But two recent events have converted what looked to be a classic scandal of money laundering and kickbacks into something much more ominous and terrifying. Earlier this week, Rio de Janeiro police arrested five members of Brazil’s most dangerous militia, one linked to the 2018 assassination of City Council Member Marielle Franco of the left-wing PSOL party. As it turned out, Flávio Bolsonaro formally praised two of the leading members of that militia; gave an award to the militia’s chief; and, most astonishingly of all, kept the mother and the daughter of the militia chief on his payroll for the last 10 years. That the Bolsonaro family has been discovered to have such close and intimate ties with militias, including the one involved in Franco’s brutal assassination, stunned the country.

Then, on Thursday, Brazil’s only LGBT member of Congress, the longtime leftist critic of Bolsonaro, Jean Wyllys, who just won a third term in the November election, announced that he has fled the country and will not assume his office due to serious threats to his life. In explaining why he fears for his life, Wyllys specifically cited these new revelations that the Bolsonaro family is linked to the militia blamed for the death of Franco, who was in the same party as Wyllys (my husband, David Miranda, is a Rio de Janeiro city council member in that same party and, as the alternate behind Wyllys, will now assume Wyllys’s seat in Congress, becoming the only LGBT member of the lower house).

Prior to Wyllys’s stunning announcement, we began work on a short video documenting the key facts of this genuinely shocking scandal that has paralyzed the Bolsonaro presidency before it could even begin and, today, drove the country’s only LGBT Congress member not only from office, but from the country. Watch:

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Bolsonaro Family Death Squad Killed Marielle Franco?!

Postby Jerky » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:50 am

Wow... wouldn't it be awesome if this fascist asshole's reign were to come to an end before it even really got a chance to begin?!

A boy can dream!

YOPJ
Jerky

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:28 pm

Goddamn all this talk about Evil Venezuela and nothing about actually fascist Bolsonaro in Brazil.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby Elvis » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:29 pm

I'm worried about Glenn Greenwald, who lives in Rio de Janeiro.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:44 am

Elvis » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:29 pm wrote:I'm worried about Glenn Greenwald, who lives in Rio de Janeiro.

I am sure he is, too, right? This kind of comment is self-evident but I also always find it dismaying. He does what he can and obviously feels he must, since any reporting by him on Brazil right now is courageous and he and Miranda have got be in the crosshairs. My feeling or superstition really is we should better say we salute him for this. He's just a guy, occasionally off and apparently not even in control of some of what goes on at the magazine he helms.

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:25 am

Wow, Greenwald.

Actually has put his spear in near the dragon's heart.

JackRiddler

Postby Grizzly » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:49 pm

I can at least find some respect in that for GG ... Still pissed he's not fully disclosing.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:24 am

https://www.democracynow.org/2019/6/12/secret_files_show_how_brazils_elites

A political crisis is growing in Brazil after The Intercept revealed that the judge who helped jail former Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva likely aided federal prosecutors in their corruption case in an attempt to prevent Lula’s Workers’ Party from winning the presidency. Leaked cellphone messages among Brazilian law enforcement officials and other data obtained by The Intercept point to an ongoing collaboration between Judge Sérgio Moro and the prosecutors investigating a sweeping corruption scandal known as Operation Car Wash. Lula was considered a favorite in the lead-up to the 2018 presidential election until he was put in jail and forced out of the race on what many say were trumped-up corruption charges. The leaked documents also reveal prosecutors had serious doubts about Lula’s guilt. The jailing of Lula helped pave the way for the election of the far-right former military officer Jair Bolsonaro, who then named Judge Sérgio Moro to be his justice minister. We get an update from Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Glenn Greenwald of The Intercept, whose reporting is based on a trove of internal files and private conversations from the prosecutorial team behind Operation Car Wash.

Visit link for full transcript and video.
Iamwhomiam

Return to SLAD Newswire