U.S. Senate confirms Haspel to be first woman CIA director

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu May 17, 2018 6:39 pm

Reuters May 17, 2018

WASHINGTON, May 17 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate confirmed Gina Haspel on Thursday to be director of the CIA, ending a bruising confirmation fight centered on her ties to the spy agency's past use of waterboarding and other brutal interrogation techniques.

Haspel, who will be the first woman director of the CIA, is a 33-year veteran at the agency currently serving as its acting director. As senators continued to vote, the tally was 51-43 in favor of her nomination in the 100-member chamber, where a simple majority was required for confirmation.

Haspel was approved despite stiff opposition over her links to the CIA's use of harsh interrogation methods, including waterboarding, a type of simulated drowning widely considered torture, in the years after the Sept. 11 attacks.

An undercover officer for most of her CIA career, Haspel in 2002 served as CIA station chief in Thailand, where the agency conducted interrogations at a secret prison using methods including waterboarding. Three years later, she drafted a cable ordering the destruction of videotapes of those interrogations.

more...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-senate ... 43571.html
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: U.S. Senate confirms Haspel to be first woman CIA direct

Postby Grizzly » Thu May 17, 2018 10:58 pm

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a20736366/gina-haspel-confirmed-cia-director-torture/
Democrats Join in to Make Torture a Bipartisan Affair

This is my shocked face ...
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: U.S. Senate confirms Haspel to be first woman CIA direct

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Fri May 18, 2018 1:51 pm

"Moderate" Democrats. Once an invertebrate, always an invertebrate.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Return to SLAD Newswire