FB gave personal data to 60 companies Apple Amazon Samsung

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

FB gave personal data to 60 companies Apple Amazon Samsung

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:02 am

Facebook reportedly gave personal data to 60 companies including Apple, Amazon and Samsung
The New York Times revealed Sunday that Facebook had formed at least 60 data-sharing partnerships with device makers including Apple, Amazon, Microsoft and Samsung over the last 10 years.
The embattled social media giant is already facing intense scrutiny from lawmakers, regulators and users around the world over its handling of personal data.
Sam Meredith | @smeredith19
Published 3 Hours Ago Updated 37 Mins Ago
CNBC.com

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg arrives to testify before a joint hearing of the US Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee and Senate Judiciary Committee on Capitol Hill, April 10, 2018 in Washington, DC.
Facebook struck dozens of data-sharing deals with smartphone and tablet makers over the last decade, according to a report by The New York Times.

The newspaper revealed Sunday that Facebook had formed at least 60 data-sharing partnerships with device makers including Apple, Amazon, Microsoft and Samsung over the last 10 years. Without explicit consent, these deals granted device makers access to a Facebook user's relationship status, political leaning, education history, religion and upcoming events, the Times reported.

Fewer teenagers are spending time on Facebook, says study Fewer teenagers are spending time on Facebook, says study
12:31 PM ET Fri, 1 June 2018 | 02:31
The embattled social media giant is already facing intense scrutiny from lawmakers, regulators and users around the world over its handling of personal data and the subsequent steps it has taken to protect user privacy.

In response to The New York Times report, Facebook published a blog post late Sunday to defend its practice of sharing user's personal data with other companies.

"These partners signed agreements that prevented people's Facebook information from being used for any other purpose than to recreate Facebook-like experiences," Ime Archibong, vice president of product partnerships at Facebook, said in the blog post.

Apple, Amazon, Microsoft and Samsung were not immediately available for comment when contacted by CNBC.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/04/faceboo ... msung.html
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: FB gave personal data to 60 companies Apple Amazon Samsu

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:12 pm

Michael LaForgia

We wanted to learn more about what kinds of data Facebook makes available to “partners” that manufacture phones and other devices.

We were curious because Facebook was supposed to have made it impossible for third-party developers to access data from a user’s friends in 2014-15.

So we plugged my Facebook account info into a 5-year-old BlackBerry device. My colleague @gabrieldance used a computer program to monitor the network traffic — what the phone was asking for and getting.

Right away, and even though we had deleted the Facebook app from the phone, it started sucking down lots of my Facebook information. It pulled in my name and global user id — which can be synced up with all kinds of other, non-FB databases to get details about me.

It got my email address and cellphone number, my location, my profile picture, both sides of my private messages, and the names and user ids of the people I exchanged messages with. (Sorry, Mom.)

Then we went a little further. We found out the phone could get the user ids, birthdays and work and education histories of nearly all my friends, even though access to such info was supposed to have been walled off years ago. It could also tell which of my friends was online.

(Remember, this isn’t Facebook making the calls for this data; it’s a device manufactured by an outside company, using an app built by that company, that Facebook has given special access to.)

My friends could not have stopped the device from snagging their information even by going to their settings and disabling all sharing with third-parties, an option known as turning off the platform.

So we could be sure about that, we had one of them turn off the platform, THEN add in new profile information for the first time, and then set it to be shared only with friends.

Right away, the third-party BlackBerry device pulled down all the information we had disallowed any third party apps from obtaining.

Then we watched the device go even further. Turns out it can jump from my modest 550-something friend list to access the names and all-important global user ids for most of my friends’ friends — a total of about 295,000 people.
https://twitter.com/laforgia_/status/10 ... 9736143872
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Return to SLAD Newswire