Lead singer of Tool a rapist?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Lead singer of Tool a rapist?

Postby thrulookingglass » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:01 am

As posted on disinfo.com, lead singer to industrial metal band "Tool" stands accused of sexually abusing and raping several under-age women. Using the power of his celebrity status to seduce and betray "attractive" young audience members backstage for what I guess has become an accepted behaviour of rock god status, however, this seems a step beyond normal "groupie-esque" behaviour. Known for apocalyptic views, helping to popularize the Area 51 caller from the Art Bell program coast to coast and comedian Bill Hicks. Once a band I genuinely liked, now just another misogynistic asshole. :mad2 :wallhead:
thrulookingglass

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Lead singer of Tool a rapist

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:40 pm

These are allegations, at this time, correct?

Suspending condemnation/factual statements until due process runs its course would be advisable, generally, in these situations.

The anonymous postings about the alleged incident goes into some detail, however, which doesn't bode well for Mr. Keenan, barring a credible alibi.

http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/so-w ... es-keenan/

So where are we with the allegations against Maynard James Keenan?
[Gilles LeBlanc has been following the story about the anonymous rape allegations against Maynard James Keenan of Tool/A Perfect Circle. He summarizes what we know so far. – AC]

As Alan posted a couple of times this week, Maynard James Keenan’s name has been in the news. Not just because A Perfect Circle are currently on tour in Europe (promoting Eat the Elephant, released in April), or that a new 12-years-in-the-making Tool album is about to be announced, maybe.

On the night of Friday June 22nd, a newly-created Twitter account going by the handle @IWas17HeWas36 sent out 20+ messages describing in pretty graphic detail how Keenan invited a then-underage girl backstage at a Nine Inch Nails/A Perfect Circle show in 2000, then to his tour bus where he proceeded to have unwanted, unprotected sex with her. You can read the thread at Ultimate-Guitar.com, one of the first sites to publish it:

Damning stuff, and we in Canada have seen firsthand how allegations such as these can quickly ruin an artist’s career; case in point being Jacob Hoggard from Hedley. In that Twitter trial, numerous stories of sexual impropriety by members of the band were shared, which led to actual police investigations being opened and Hoggard temporarily stepping away from his music career.

The big difference with Maynard is that aside from a serious-sounding incident involving Behemoth that authorities should probably look into, the only other retweet is from someone calling themselves “Dingledoddies”, who Tool/APC/Pucifer fans have deduced was created by the same person? And that they’re male?

Mr. Keenan, for his part, took a few days in order to craft a response. But when he did, it was strongly worded towards his accuser and also in solidarity with the #MeToo movement:

Maynard J Keenan
@mjkeenan
Many thanks to those of you who saw right through this despicable false claim that only does damage to the #metoo movement. And shame on those of you who perpetuate this destructive clickbait. As for my delayed but un-required response, I had my phone off. You should try it.

4:00 PM - Jun 28, 2018

Those with long memories may remember Maynard singing with RAINN spokesperson Tori Amos back in 1997 at a benefit concert

RAINN stands for Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, which interestingly is featured prominently as @IWas17HeWas36’s header photo (there’s even a link to donate). I reached out for further comment on behalf of A Journal of Musical Things, but the only statement they’ve made since was in a DM to the NY Daily News today, one week since the account was made.

“I do not fear libel or any lawsuit, because he knows that he’s guilty. I will testify if need be. The whole point of this is to stop him and others from assaulting anyone else.” Requests to Keenan’s public relations representatives simply directed me back to his tweet.

I’m all for a healthy balance of justice being served tempered with innocent until proven guilty. The thing is though, there hasn’t been any solid proof from Keenan or his people that something like this didn’t happen. This situation is getting weird, but Alan and I promise to stay on it.

Belligerent Savant

Postby Grizzly » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:58 pm

When did he stop raping his wife!???
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby thrulookingglass » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:45 pm

#Ibelieveher
thrulookingglass

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:38 am

Not a shock that the guy who wrote "Prison Sex" has unresolved issues he is compelled to act out on a young canvas.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Jerky » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:34 am

What?! You guys just buy this whole cloth?

As for the the allegations being detailed and realistic... have you ever read a novel? A short story? Fiction of any kind?

And as for him having "no proof that he didn't do it"... I can't believe I have to type this out here, but you can't disprove a negative. And it isn't up to him to do so, anyway.

And as for it not being a surprise that "the guy who wrote Prison Sex" would be a rapist... WTF?!? It's a song, Wombat. You, an artist yourself, should know better.

Everything I've ever heard about Tool and Keenan (who has been gay and out for decades) makes this accusation sound suspect to me.

I don't know if he did or didn't sexually assault anyone, but I DO know that the incidence of false rape/sexual assault accusations is uncomfortably high, and that it's far worse when you add celebrity (especially the kind of deep-rooted, substantial cult celebrity that TOOL enjoys) to the mix. Fantasies take nest in people's brains and they fester for years, until suddenly you can't parse whether you're remembering fantasy or reality or even a dream. So which one would be more interesting? would give you real world cache of some sort? Reality, right? If you're a certain kind of person.

But that's the point. Anyone can say anything right now, and have what seems like a majority just believe it, no matter the circumstances. That's fucked up.

J
Jerky

Re: Lead singer of Tool a rapist?

Postby Elvis » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:09 am

This is neither here nor there, but I just listened to Tool for the first time. For some reason I thought it would be more "djent." Interesting but mostly not my thing. Seems like half the bands looking for musicians on Craigslist include Tool in the lists of bands they want their band to sound like.

That's all I know about Tool.

Seeing how the fellow merely "stands accused," should we add a question mark to the thread title?

on edit: I think yes, and I changed it.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Jerky » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:40 am

I went through a TOOL phase in my college years. Aenima was the album I grooved to then, and I still enjoy it now. Djent music is relatively new (like just a couple years old) and not what Tool is about. Tool are more "progressive metal" if anything... altho to me they seem more sui generis. They don't sound like too many other bands (maybe some of the heavy, early 70's King Crimson albums?), and not many bands sound like them. It's like trying to find an analog to Pink Floyd. You'd think there would be many imitators, considering their success... but no band sounds quite like Pink Floyd. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Tell me this, Elvis... what do you think of THIS song, by ISIS, from their album Wavering Radiant, which features Tool guitarist Adam Jones (very distinctive sound) as a guest? I'm not usually a fan of the Cookie Monster metal voice, but this song is an exception. I LOVE the build up of increasingly huge, towering guitars that explode in a crescendo near the end there...

Elvis » 06 Jul 2018 11:09 wrote:This is neither here nor there, but I just listened to Tool for the first time. For some reason I thought it would be more "djent." Interesting but mostly not my thing. Seems like half the bands looking for musicians on Craigslist include Tool in the lists of bands they want their band to sound like.

That's all I know about Tool.

Seeing how the fellow merely "stands accused," should we add a question mark to the thread title?

on edit: I think yes, and I changed it.
Jerky

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:52 am

Jerky » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:34 am wrote:And as for it not being a surprise that "the guy who wrote Prison Sex" would be a rapist... WTF?!? It's a song, Wombat. You, an artist yourself, should know better.

Consider the fact that's exactly why I fucking said it.

I have no problem believing it to be true -- but I don't yet. Time will out. I just don't need to reflexively defend the accused (or question the accuser) just because I enjoy their work.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:15 pm

I agree with the spirit of Jerky's response(s).

There isn't any substantive content that can lead anyone to conclude affirmatively one way or another. Time/additional 'evidence' will tell.

Also agree, as alluded in my first response, that there is a near-fervor now, in light of the '#metoo' movement (which is absolutely necessary when justified, of course) to render judgment at the mere hint of an allegation -- lives/careers are ruined before facts are presented.

Dangerous territory, needless to say.

(Only tangentially related, but I'm an aficionado -- been to a few Tool concerts over the years; first exposure was in the 90s with their single 'Sober', though my music interests cover a broad range, particularly in my older years)
Belligerent Savant

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:35 pm

I always "hated" Tool. Or more exactly, their fans. There were perfectly good bands back in the day that didn't "sell out" which hit all the same themes and shit. Just sayin'. I thought they were pozers/posers/poseurs (how ever the fuck it is spelled in your region). If the jocks liked 'em, I sure didn't.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Elvis » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:39 pm

Jerky wrote:Tell me this, Elvis... what do you think of THIS song, by ISIS, from their album Wavering Radiant, which features Tool guitarist Adam Jones (very distinctive sound) as a guest? I'm not usually a fan of the Cookie Monster metal voice, but this song is an exception. I LOVE the build up of increasingly huge, towering guitars that explode in a crescendo near the end there...

I like it okay, some it I might even enjoy playing myself; when I'm not making a living or trolling RI, I'm all about electric guitars, and do dig the guitar sounds in that track. It's not really something I'd put on while doing the dishes, but then very little 'rock' music coming out since the end of the 1970s has interested me much. You mentioned King Crimson, and they are a big exception, and I'm a yuge admirer of Adrian Belew.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:21 pm

82_28 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:35 pm wrote:I always "hated" Tool. Or more exactly, their fans. There were perfectly good bands back in the day that didn't "sell out" which hit all the same themes and shit. Just sayin'. I thought they were pozers/posers/poseurs (how ever the fuck it is spelled in your region). If the jocks liked 'em, I sure didn't.

That's a mighty broad brush you're painting with there.

None of the Tool 'fans' I knew/know were/are confused for "jocks" (is that a euphemism?). Quite to the contrary, actually, at least in my experience.
(And, many of the 'fans' I've encountered also listen to bands/music from artists never/rarely heard on the radio or viewed on cable TV...).

Everyone's experience is subjective, of course; part of the reason I try to avoid generalizing.

(Also: speaking for myself, my like/dislike of a given genre of music is based on the music alone. I pay no mind to -- don't give a sh#t about -- whatever 'category' of humans may also harbor an appreciation for it.)
Belligerent Savant

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:20 pm

It was more a comment of "back in my day this is what I thought". In the "skater punk scene" of which I was "in" which was quite "underground" in those days, one could barely get by by liking the "wrong bands" (Tool definitely was). Somehow, I was able to escape being the only one out of my crew that survived being the only one (?) who loved The Smiths. But shit, it reminds me too of dating a girl who had just moved to town from Iowa and she showed up to school one day wearing a Guns N' Roses T-shirt. I dumped her. Or quit talking to her or something. I forget. Kidz, I tell ya.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:23 am

Ha.. Yea, I hear ya. "Back in the days" , indeed, when we paid far more attention to such things (we're about the same age, so I can relate with the timeframes you mention).

I didn't get around to appreciating the Smiths until later into my earlier 20s, was tied up on the hard stuff through most of my teens.

In any event, back on topic:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... ience.html

As reported, after the first allegation surfaced - the one behind the alias of Iwas17HeWas36 - the second accusation came from Dingledoddies@gmail.com, saying:
#metoo

A Perfect Circle tour November 6, 2003, Tampa, FL.

Maynard James Keenan and [former longtime Marilyn Manson bassist] Twiggy Ramirez invited me back to the hotel, A high-rise in downtown Tampa, booked under another name which I had to use to get upstairs. Maynard tried to rape me.

"Dingledoddies@gmail.com responded to Alternative Nation, while IWas17HeWas36 didn't. I learned her real name, which did match up with one listing. Fans have been suspicious of the Dingledoddies@gmail.com account, and another one called Buried Memories, as they were created within a few hours of each other, leading to many fans calling her a liar and fraud who created multiple accounts. These emails took place after Keenan's tweet [in which he called the accusations 'false' and 'despicable'].

"Alternative Nation first contacted Dingledoddies@gmail.com asking for proof and more details regarding her allegations. I asked her, 'Do you have any proof/more details regarding your accusations against Maynard James Keenan?'

"She responded, 'Yes I would be willing to make a statement. I am willing to report my experience the night of 11/06/03 with Maynard Keenan. Let me know how to proceed.'

"I asked, 'Did you create the Buried Memories account? It was registered within a couple of hours of your account, which has made many very suspicious. Also, what is your story/claim about Maynard? Do you have friends and family who can corroborate you told them about it? Do you have a ticket stub from the concert?'

"She responded, 'Just so you know that other Twitter account was not me, so you should definitely track down who she is. I can assure you my account of what happened is 100% factual and over the years I have shared with select friends. In fact on 11/11/17 I shared a #metoo on Facebook. This post was public and is now private so that my identity is protected. I had no idea this was going to blow up the way it has and I'm glad I had the chance to be prepared before I got in over my head. I was not at the concert, they invited me to the hotel from a place of business back to their hotel.'

The reporter added:

"I then pressed for more proof and corroboration, 'What place of business? Do you have a screenshot of the Facebook post and comments?'

"She responded, 'I'm working with Rolling Stone thank you.'"

More at link.
Belligerent Savant

Next

Return to SLAD Newswire