El Jebel residents charged with 4th-degree arson for Lake Ch

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

El Jebel residents charged with 4th-degree arson for Lake Ch

Postby chump » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:38 am

El Jebel residents charged with 4th-degree arson for Lake Christine Fire
Scott Condon
July 4, 2018

A man and a woman from El Jebel are facing an initial charge of fourth-degree arson for allegedly starting the Lake Christine Fire by firing tracer rounds Tuesday evening at the Basalt shooting range, according to the Eagle County Sheriff's Office.

Other charges may be filed against Richard Karl Miller, 23, and Allison Sarah Marcus, 22, after the investigation is concluded, according to Amber Barrett, a spokeswoman for the Sheriff's Office. Both suspects live at the same address in El Jebel, Barrett said.

Fourth-degree arson is the most severe type of misdemeanor. They were given a summons in lieu of arrest, so they aren't being held in Eagle County Jail. No information was available on the date of their first court appearance.

They could be potentially responsible for restitution for the firefighting effort up to $1 million, Barrett said.

Marcus and Miller were cooperative with law enforcement authorities and appeared distraught over starting the fire, according to a law enforcement source.

They were allegedly at the shooting range firing tracer rounds shortly before 6 p.m. Tuesday. The public shooting range was open despite fire restrictions banning everything from charcoal grill fires to outdoor smoking. However, firing tracer ammunition is always banned, according to Colorado Parks and Wildlife, which owns and operates the shooting range.

Perry Will, district wildlife manager for area 8, said the two were using a range where targets were set up in front of a berm cleared of vegetation. The point of origin was the hillside adjacent to that cleared area.

"CPW is working with the Eagle County Sheriff's Office and District Attorney for the 5th Judicial District to issue formal charges in this case," the wildlife agency said in a statement.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/el-jebe ... stine-fire
chump

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: El Jebel residents charged with 4th-degree arson for Lak

Postby 82_28 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:27 pm

An interesting aspect to this post is how territorial or local it is to you, Chump. What I mean is that it exemplifies the power of fires all around you and having a constant reminder because you have to go outside every day. I'm from Denver, born and raised there and "I went through" the distant BC fires last year here in Seattle. What is striking and no one is to blame, is how little anyone gives a fuck and that I perfectly understand why at the same time. How is it possible to dedicate one's self to every crazy fucking thing that ever happens at every given moment?

Most certainly not a knock on you Chump. Actually keep us (me) posted. I have failed to circumvent the Denver Post's paywall this week (fucked up my "meticulous" timing of cookies and IP address announcements to their servers). So now I'm going 9News and shit and personal friends. But I can't get at the DP's maps and shit they have.

My dad's friend's friend's house in one of those fires survived in Colorado, BTW. All of her neighbors' homes were lost. I can't keep track of all the fires for some reason.

Seriously, buddy, keep this shit alive on RI. It is only the beginning of summer. :zomg
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:29 pm

The 5th, when chump posted, there were 191 active forest fires. Today, there are 192.

https://fsapps.nwcg.gov/

Iamwhomiam

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:57 pm

In Australia when its a total fire ban if you use an angle grinder, slasher (big mower on the back of a tractor) or even a mower and start a fire odds are you will be charged with arson if the fire escapes your property and there is a good chance you'll be charged with lighting a fire during a total fire ban if it doesn't unless you put it out immediately.
Joe Hillshoist

Return to SLAD Newswire