Blacklisted: The Social Media Purge of 2018

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Blacklisted: The Social Media Purge of 2018

Postby elfismiles » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:41 am

So, in the last few days ... besides ye olde InfoJonestowners:

@JustinRaimondo

Two more casualties of the Twitter purge of antiwar voices: @ScottHortonShow, the new editorial director of http://Antiwar.com , and @DanielLMcAdams, director of the Ron Paul Institute.

Are you next?
10:53 AM - 6 Aug 2018 from California, USA

https://twitter.com/JustinRaimondo/stat ... 6681883649

Monday, August 6, 2018
Daniel McAdams and Scott Horton Have Been Suspended By Twitter
. . .
Daniel McAdams emails to explain what went down:

Robert I can give you an update from my perspective regarding what happened:

Yesterday on Twitter, former US diplomat Peter Van Buren (@WeMeantWell) took members of the mainstream media to task for swallowing and printing government lies without even bothering to check them out. He said as a former US government official (turned whistleblower) he also lied to the press on behalf of the government and was astonished that the press swallowed each one, hook, line and sinker.

Several corporate media hacks and in particular one employee of an NGO funded by George Soros -- a fellow called Jonathan Katz -- piled on Peter, accusing him of all manner of treachery. When Peter ended one response with a sarcastic reference to zombie attacks - "I hope a MAGA guy eats your face" -- which is obviously a joke, Katz replied that he is reporting Peter for promoting violence.

So he and his buddies ganged up on Peter and got him banned. Scott Horton and I were incensed over the ban, which seemed to us totally arbitrary. There was no threat of violence and it was no different than millions of Tweets all the time. So Scott and I both joined in and criticized Katz for running off to the authorities in attempt to get someone banned rather than just walk away from the debate.

Katz then did his usual routine and ran to the authorities and had Scott and me banned. Mine was for, as Twitter informed me, because "you may not promote violence against, threaten, or harass other people on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, religious affiliation, age, disability, or serious disease." There is no way at all that my Tweet violated the above rule. In no way did I harass or threaten based on those criteria. I merely strongly criticized Katz for running to the authorities to get Peter banned.

http://www.targetliberty.com/2018/08/da ... -have.html
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: Blacklisted: The Social Media Purge of 2018

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:08 pm

Wow, very telling they'd go after Scott Horton. While not super-familiar with anyone whose public life involves talking into a fucking camera, I have always gotten the impression Horton was a smart, honest libertarian -- basically a white rhino in those circles.

Also, "Anti-War" being a threat to Democracy is delicious optics.

I have very much enjoyed the social media cognitive dissonance of the past 24 hours: 1) Alex Jones is a monster, an amoral human SEO algorithm made flesh, opportunist scum and a danger to democracy. This is such a special case we obviously had to make an exception -- this isn't about infringing on free speech! 2) Alex Jones is just the beginning, part of a much larger Fake News ecosystem, and there is a lot more work to do if this purge is going to be successful.

Aight, cool!

Senator Chris Murphy, from Connecticut - "Infowars is the tip of a giant iceberg of hate and lies that uses sites like Facebook and YouTube to tear our nation apart. These companies must do more than take down one website. The survival of our democracy depends on it."
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby American Dream » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:19 pm

Alex Jones is a piece of shit.

Just sayin'...
American Dream

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:06 pm

And it's not just Democrats from New England singing from that dumbass hymn book, either...

Via: https://www.thedailybeast.com/new-poll- ... down-media

New Poll: 43% of Republicans Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media

All told, 43 percent of self-identified Republicans said that they believed “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.” Only 36 percent disagreed with that statement. When asked if Trump should close down specific outlets, including CNN, The Washington Post, and The New York Times, nearly a quarter of Republicans (23 percent) agreed and 49 percent disagreed.

Republicans were far more likely to take a negative view of the media. Forty-eight percent of them said they believed “the news media is the enemy of the American people” (just 28 percent disagreed) while nearly four out of every five (79 percent) said that they believed “the mainstream media treats President Trump unfairly.”

But swaths of self-identified Democrats and Independents supported anti-press positions as well. According to the survey, 12 percent of Democrats and 21 percent of Independents agreed that “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior” (74 percent and 55 percent, respectively, disagreed). Additionally, 12 percent of Democrats and 26 percent of Independents agreed that “the news media is the enemy of the American people” (74 percent and 50 percent, respectively, disagreed)

Tactical thought: if the real problem with America is idiots, how exactly is Democracy going to fix that?
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Elvis » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:27 pm

New Poll: 43% of Republicans Want to Give Trump the Power to Shut Down Media

All told, 43 percent of self-identified Republicans said that they believed “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.” Only 36 percent disagreed with that statement. When asked if Trump should close down specific outlets, including CNN, The Washington Post, and The New York Times, nearly a quarter of Republicans (23 percent) agreed and 49 percent disagreed.

[...]

swaths of self-identified Democrats and Independents supported anti-press positions as well. According to the survey, 12 percent of Democrats and 21 percent of Independents agreed that “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior” (74 percent and 55 percent, respectively, disagreed). Additionally, 12 percent of Democrats and 26 percent of Independents agreed that “the news media is the enemy of the American people”

This constitutes a jumped-the-shark moment for me. All seems lost.

Wombaticus Rex wrote:Tactical thought: if the real problem with America is idiots, how exactly is Democracy going to fix that?

Me in 1989: "These Bilderbergers are managing the world!!!"

My conservative older friend: "I'm glad somebody's doing it."

Me: :ohwh
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Grizzly » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:27 pm

^^^

No worries, Israel will tell us what to do... /s
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby elfismiles » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Yeah, I'm a bit shocked by them going after Scott Horton. He's one of the most whip-smart dudes I know (especially for a non-tobaco-smoking, skateboarding, punkrock kinda dude) ... I mean, he can go toe-to-toe with ANYONE on Foreign Policy. He's no "conspiracy-theorist" by any stretch of the imagination - perhaps to his detriment sometimes but I respect and admire the heck outta him and am proud to call him a friend. He's not really been a "talking into a camera kinda guy" - he's just been doing the audio mic thing daily nonstop for over 16 years. Hardcore antiwar foreign policy and anti police-state reporting all that time.

Wombaticus Rex » 07 Aug 2018 16:08 wrote:Wow, very telling they'd go after Scott Horton. While not super-familiar with anyone whose public life involves talking into a fucking camera, I have always gotten the impression Horton was a smart, honest libertarian -- basically a white rhino in those circles.

Also, "Anti-War" being a threat to Democracy is delicious optics.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby 82_28 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:02 pm

Unlike RI, FB is unfathomably vast as well as the rest of them. This clearly had to be a lawyer centric decision. Way too many damages to be claimed unto infinity. But I have heard from someone on FB in the past few minutes that her Anti-war blog was also taken down or something. I don't know what their "rubric" is obviously and I do not know how widespread it is, but all I can say is I don't know how I feel about it. As a "mod" here I can say I'd get rid of someone espousing the antics of Jones right away. But RI is super teeny. Duh. These companies have doubtless floors of offices where people have the task of moderating shit. I wouldn't want to deal with them either.

I think it was just an overall legal decision. But I do not know. Here's what I just posted on FB:

These companies are only deciding what they want to do with their platforms (I do not support a one of them btw). The way to avoid this is not use the platforms for "extremism", hatred, malice etc. Toss in a few cat or gorilla videos along with your "beliefs" and I think one would be safe from getting nixed. But if you're incapable of recognizing beauty etc and that is your only method of your interaction with the world, well, you are going to get what's coming to you. I am not excusing them and fully understand the "kerfuffle", but it really is Occam's Razor here I think.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby alwyn » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:46 pm

It's not just right wing predators, it's also so called alternative medicine sites. Google changed their algorithms a couple years back so any information that was contrary to the pharma vaccine rush got put to low priority. Unless you know what you are looking for, years of evidence of aluminum toxicity got misfiled somehow. This, btw, is not a red flag to the bull over the vax issue, the post is about media purging. There's a war on the media, and there's a war on truth, and it isn't always the corporate line that veers closer to true, if you catch my drift, and it's usually not about what the hapless social media magnates think either. Yes, Veronica, there is a REAL world, and it is burning in some spots, and shaking in others, and flooding, things can change in an instant. Don't lose sight of truth.

I'm the blogger that had her right of free speech disinvoked. Scrubbed from the internets for waging peace. I'm an uppity woman from way back, and this is still the same war for our heads that it ever was, and then some.

Peace is dangerous in this world. Truth is dangerous in this world, because it exposes baseless lies for what they are. I'm for, to pick up on a late conversation, Alex Jones having his say on the internet, because he's only a red flag for the real pruning going on. Like Trump, he's a gasback that everyone can point to while the real rape and roll continues business as usual.

Hashtag Free Press. Hashtag Free Speech. Hashtag Power To The People. Hashtag Support REAL Education Hashtag TrueScience

thanks 82-28 for hooking me back in here
question authority?
alwyn

Postby Cordelia » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:12 am

alwyn » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:46 pm wrote:It's not just right wing predators, it's also so called alternative medicine sites. Google changed their algorithms a couple years back so any information that was contrary to the pharma vaccine rush got put to low priority. Unless you know what you are looking for, years of evidence of aluminum toxicity got misfiled somehow. This, btw, is not a red flag to the bull over the vax issue, the post is about media purging. There's a war on the media, and there's a war on truth, and it isn't always the corporate line that veers closer to true, if you catch my drift, and it's usually not about what the hapless social media magnates think either. Yes, Veronica, there is a REAL world, and it is burning in some spots, and shaking in others, and flooding, things can change in an instant. Don't lose sight of truth.

I'm the blogger that had her right of free speech disinvoked. Scrubbed from the internets for waging peace. I'm an uppity woman from way back, and this is still the same war for our heads that it ever was, and then some.

Peace is dangerous in this world. Truth is dangerous in this world, because it exposes baseless lies for what they are. I'm for, to pick up on a late conversation, Alex Jones having his say on the internet, because he's only a red flag for the real pruning going on. Like Trump, he's a gasback that everyone can point to while the real rape and roll continues business as usual.

Hashtag Free Press. Hashtag Free Speech. Hashtag Power To The People. Hashtag Support REAL Education Hashtag TrueScience

thanks 82-28 for hooking me back in here

Your right of free-speech revocation really sucks Alwyn, but great to see you back!

:lovehearts:
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Grizzly » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:45 am

What the fuck ever happened to: “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” ??
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Agent Orange Cooper » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:26 pm

alwyn wrote:It's not just right wing predators, it's also so called alternative medicine sites. Google changed their algorithms a couple years back so any information that was contrary to the pharma vaccine rush got put to low priority. Unless you know what you are looking for, years of evidence of aluminum toxicity got misfiled somehow. This, btw, is not a red flag to the bull over the vax issue, the post is about media purging.

:yay welcome back
Agent Orange Cooper

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:29 pm

Grizzly » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:45 am wrote:What the fuck ever happened to: “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” ??

Attributed to Voltaire, reduced to a .jpg, and filed next to "I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER" and "HERE COME DAT BOI"

Today's escalations have been predictable enough and a bit boring - Vox calling for a broad swath of conservative(tard?) YouTube commentators to get the axe, and Team Red hyperventilating about victimization and hypocrisy.

Of all the goldfish brain endeavors that my fellow humans commit themselves to in 2018, the old "exposing the hypocrisy of my opponent" slog, that one perhaps baffles me the most. It's a strategic loss - there are few referees in culture war, and certainly no effective ones - but more importantly, a waste of time itself. Hypocrisy is the human condition. There is no difficulty in proving this and no achievement in point it out.

Hate to keep harping on the same subjects, but it's really all I have the aptitude for anyway: most good reporting comes from motivated actors who are the polar opposite of objective. These are the people who are sufficiently incentivized to dig like that. This is why Chanboards keep sprinting laps around the Mormons working analysis desk jobs in our actual intelligence agencies. This is also why RI ... well, you know that song by heart, too.

I definitely suspect there's going to be a big tide of refugees coming back here before summer is through. I still keep my feet wet in .com and SEO circles, and we've seen the internet get swallowed whole by Facebook, Amazon, Instagram, and watched the Google SERPs degenerate into ... well, whatever they are now. Those changes started before Trump got elected; those trends are so far along that the playing field is unrecognizable now.

It is famously said that the internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it. The problem is that consumers do not.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby dada » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Sounds interesting. Let me know how it turns out.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:42 pm

Alex Jones’ Lawyer Seeks To Make Sandy Hook Parents’ Home Addresses Public
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/al ... 5abaa940a3

Family Of Sandy Hook Victim Driven Out Of 7 Different Homes
https://forward.com/fast-forward/407094 ... ent-homes/

fuck Alex Jones

Our child died at Sandy Hook – why let Facebook lies hurt us even more?
After our son’s death, online abuse claiming the attack was a hoax drove us into hiding. Yet Facebook refuses to take meaningful action
Leonard Pozner and Veronique De La Rosa, parents of Noah Pozner
Wed 25 Jul 2018 06.00 EDT Last modified on Wed 25 Jul 2018 09.44 EDT

Victims of the shooting at Sandy Hook, with Noah Pozner at the bottom center. Composite: AP, Reuters & Rex

Dear Mr Zuckerberg,

Our names are Lenny Pozner and Veronique De La Rosa. We are the parents of Noah, who on 14 December, 2012, at the age of six, was gunned down in his classroom at Sandy Hook elementary school. Since that day, we, as well as the parents, family, and friends of the 25 other victims, have been embroiled in a constant battle with social media providers, including Facebook, to protect us from harassment and threats.

Almost immediately after the massacre of 20 little children, all under the age of seven, and six elementary school teachers and staff, the attacks on us began. Conspiracy groups and anti-government provocateurs began making claims on Facebook that the massacre was a hoax, that the murdered were so-called “crisis actors” and that their audience should rise up to “find out the truth” about our families. These claims and calls to action spread across Facebook like wildfire and, despite our pleas, were protected by Facebook.

US gun violence spawns a new epidemic: conspiracy theorists harassing victims
Read more
While terms you use, like “fake news” or “fringe conspiracy groups”, sound relatively innocuous, let me provide you with some insight into the effects of allowing your platform to continue to be used as an instrument to disseminate hate. We have endured online, telephone, and in-person harassment, abuse, and death threats. In fact, one of the abusers was sentenced to jail for credible death threats that she admitted in court she had uttered because she believed in online content created by these “fringe groups”. In order to protect ourselves and our surviving children, we have had to relocate numerous times. These groups use social media, including Facebook, to “hunt” us, posting our home address and videos of our house online. We are currently living in hiding. We are far from alone in our experiences, as many other families who have lost loved ones in mass shootings and other tragedies have reported the same continuing torment.

Our families are in danger as a direct result of the hundreds of thousands of people who see and believe the lies and hate speech, which you have decided should be protected. What makes the entire situation all the more horrific is that we have had to wage an almost inconceivable battle with Facebook to provide us with the most basic of protections to remove the most offensive and incendiary content.

Lenny Pozner with his son Noah.
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Lenny Pozner with his son Noah. Photograph: courtesy Lenny Pozner
In your recent interview with Kara Swisher of Recode, you were asked why Facebook would allow an organization to post a conspiracy theory claiming that the Sandy Hook massacre was staged. While you implied that Facebook would act more quickly to take down harassment directed at Sandy Hook victims than, say, the posts of Holocaust deniers, that is not our experience. In fact, you went on to suggest that this type of content would continue to be protected and that your idea for combatting incendiary content was to provide counterpoints to push “fake news” lower in search results. Of course, this provides no protection to us at all. It would require people writing articles and making posts about our family and the massacre in the same quantity and read and spread by the same numbers as those who post and publish the hoax content. Since few are writing about a school shooting from six years ago, especially when other mass shootings have followed, only the Sandy Hook “hoax” information appears and is spread, giving increased credence to the hateful, dangerous content. If your goal is truly to provide protection to us and remove dangerous and malicious content quickly, may we suggest the following:

Treat victims of mass shootings and other tragedies as a protected group, such that attacks on them are specifically against Facebook policy.
Provide affected people with access to Facebook staff who will remove hateful and harassing posts against victims immediately.
Facebook plays a mammoth role in exposing the world’s masses to information. That level of power comes with the tremendous responsibility of ensuring that your platform is not used to harm others or contribute to the proliferation of hate. Yetit appears that under the guise of free speech, you are prepared to give license to people who make it their purpose to do just that.

After the death of our son and the bewildering attacks on our family and the families of the other victims, we began to hear from the people affected by other mass shootings and tragedies who were suffering similar abuse on Facebook. In response to the overt disregard shown by Facebook, we founded HONR.com with the mission of providing assistance to those being targeted online by mob hate.

After feeling so much hope following your pledge in the Senate to make Facebook a safer and more hospitable place for social interaction, we are once again feeling let down by your recent comments supporting a safe harbor for Holocaust deniers and hate groups that attack victims of tragedy.

Our son Noah no longer has a voice, nor will he ever get to live out his life. His absence is felt every day. But we are unable to properly grieve for our baby or move on with our lives because you, arguably the most powerful man on the planet, have deemed that the attacks on us are immaterial, that providing assistance in removing threats is too cumbersome, and that our lives are less important than providing a safe haven for hate.

Sincerely,

Leonard Pozner & Veronique De La Rosa

Parents of Noah Pozner, Sandy Hook shooting victim
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... pen-letter
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Next

Return to SLAD Newswire