Laurel Canyon

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby smallprint » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:50 pm

vince wrote:Damn! I thought another section of that guy LC thing was up! :cry:

I wish McGowan would spend less time on Laurel Canyon and more on the events of the last 2 years, of which he barely mentions.

Oh well, the guy can do what he wants.
His mind now misgave him; he began to doubt whether both he and the world around him were not bewitched.
smallprint

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Fred Astaire » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:54 pm

smallprint wrote:

I wish McGowan would spend less time on Laurel Canyon and more on the events of the last 2 years, of which he barely mentions.

What in particular are you referring to? I'm guessing that Jay-Z is in there.
Fred Astaire

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:35 am

jakell wrote:
Sweejak wrote:Jakell, I think McLean has two versions of this song and in both of them the lyrics are the same. I don't know of a version with alternate lyrics.

Pretty amazing song, I don't think McLean ever did anything like it again.

These aren't really alternate lyrics, just extra verses tacked on to the ones we already know. They may have been cut because they are a bit darker, or simply make the song too long. I've heard two versions, one with three verses, and the single version with two verses (probably pruned to make it a more commercial length).

Have found it on Youtube ! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMlzfpwJZuc

For what its worth, growing up in Australia and listening to that song in the late 70s/early 80s on the radio those lyrics were always in there. (I know this is months late, but if you are away from here for any length of time its almost impossible to catch up on everything.)
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Sweejak » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:44 am

if you are away from here for any length of time its almost impossible to catch up on everything.

Too true, and I don't know about you but threads that I have subscribed to don't always give notifications that there has been a response. When I track down the thread I'm beyond behind.
Sweejak

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:39 am

Sweejak wrote:
if you are away from here for any length of time its almost impossible to catch up on everything.

Too true, and I don't know about you but threads that I have subscribed to don't always give notifications that there has been a response. When I track down the thread I'm beyond behind.

I gave up on subscribing to threads years ago. That was part of the reason.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby vince » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:16 am

Fred Astaire wrote:
smallprint wrote:

http://www.davesweb.cnchost.com/nwsltr108.html
vince

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby smallprint » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:09 pm

Fred Astaire wrote:
smallprint wrote:

What I mean is that his last post about current events was Feb 2008.

It would have been nice to hear some commentary about Obama et al, especially before the election.

on edit: he does offer a little commentary in that last post, but just a few paragraphs.
His mind now misgave him; he began to doubt whether both he and the world around him were not bewitched.
smallprint

Postby Percival » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:58 am

I suppose this fits well in this thread:

One Day at a Time' star Mackenzie Phillips promised to tell a juicy family secret -- and boy does she deliver a whopper.

The actress writes in her memoir about her incestuous relationship with her father John Phillips, of Mamas and the Papas fame, PEOPLE reports.

"Don't hate my father," she tells PEOPLE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She describes that in a haze of drugs, she slept with her father on the night before her wedding.

"On the eve of my wedding, my father showed up, determined to stop it. I had tons of pills, and Dad had tons of everything too. Eventually I passed out on Dad's bed," she writes. Phillips was 19 at the time.

"My father was not a man with boundaries. He was full of love, and he was sick with drugs. I woke up that night from a blackout to find myself having sex with my own father," she continues.

"Had this happened before? I didn't know. All I can say is it was the first time I was aware of it. For a moment I was in my body, in that horrible truth, and then I slid back into a blackout," Phillips adds.

Their relationship developed consensually and her father even asked her to run away with him.

"One night Dad said, 'We could just run away to a country where no one would look down on us. There are countries where this is an accepted practice. Maybe Fiji.'"

The troubled star has struggled with drugs her entire life, having most recently been arrested just over a year ago in the Los Angeles Airport during a drug bust.

Mackenzie's sister, Chynna Phillips, also recalls the moment when she found out about the affair.

"She said, 'I don't know why, but I just really felt the need to call you and tell you something that I think you need to know.' And she went on to tell me that she had had an incestuous relationship with our dad for about 10 years," Chynna told Usmagazine.com.

"Somebody could have dropped a piano on my head and I probably wouldn't have felt it. But I knew it was true. I mean, who in their right mind would make such a claim if it wasn't true?" she adds of her reaction.
Percival

Postby IanEye » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:26 am

[url=http://tinyurl.com/m997b5]Image
Time passes by - And I watch her fly
Yes, I watch her fly - And time passes by…
[/url]
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Maddy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:34 pm

She told it to Oprah, too.

UPDATE: 6:20 Tuesday:
Phiilips tells Oprah that she had sex with her father John Phillips. People.com has more book excerpts detailing their long term affair.

"I had sex with my own father," she says. She says he shot her up with drugs and raped her. When she confronted him about it, she writes in her memoir, she said "We have to talk about how you raped me." He responded, "You mean when we made love?"

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/2 ... 94479.html
Be kind - it costs nothing. ~ Maddy ~
Maddy

Postby Maddy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:44 pm

Mackenzie Phillips to Return to Oprah with Half-Sister

Mackenzie Phillips will return to the The Oprah Winfrey Show Friday with her half-sister, Chynna Phillips, to talk more about her claim that she had a sexual relationship with her father, US Weekly reports.

Mackenzie Phillips' Family Split Over Star's Incest Claims
Maddy

Postby nathan28 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Maddy wrote:Mackenzie Phillips to Return to Oprah with Half-Sister

Mackenzie Phillips will return to the The Oprah Winfrey Show Friday with her half-sister, Chynna Phillips, to talk more about her claim that she had a sexual relationship with her father, US Weekly reports.

Mackenzie Phillips' Family Split Over Star's Incest Claims

No freakin' way I can top that, but one of the Manson Family died of brain cancer.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/25/california.manson.atkins/index.html
„MAN MUSS BEFUERCHTEN, DASS DAS GANZE IN GOTTES HAND IST"

THE JEERLEADER
nathan28

Postby MinM » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:20 pm

IanEye wrote:[url=http://tinyurl.com/m997b5]Image
Time passes by - And I watch her fly
Yes, I watch her fly - And time passes by…
[/url]

Penny for your thoughts: John Phillips- singer/songwriter Laurel Canyon resident and more.....
MinM

Postby barracuda » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:07 pm

nathan28 wrote:No freakin' way I can top that, but one of the Manson Family died of brain cancer.

The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby Maddy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:34 pm

Christ, they all have that thousand yard stare, dont' they?

That's always been a kind of a signal to me when looking at people, and listening to them. Not a good signal. Creepy. Worrisome.
Maddy

PreviousNext

Return to High Weirdness