Quote Only Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Quote Only Thread

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:45 pm

Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby liminalOyster » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:54 am

We call on you to stop what you are doing, to stop the destruction, to stop your attack on the spirits of the Earth. When you cut down the trees you assault the spirits of our ancestors. When you dig for minerals you impale the heart of the Earth. And when you pour poisons on the land and into the rivers – chemicals from agriculture and mercury from gold mines – you weaken the spirits, the plants, the animals and the land itself. When you weaken the land like that, it starts to die. If the land dies, if our Earth dies, then none of us will be able to live, and we too will all die.

-- Raoni Metuktire. We, the peoples of the Amazon, are full of fear. Soon you will be too
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby stickdog99 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:10 pm

Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever: that considering numbers, nature and natural means only, a revolution of the wheel of fortune, an exchange of situation, is among possible events: that it may become probable by supernatural interference!

The Almighty has no attribute which can take side with us in such a contest.

Thomas Jefferson
stickdog99

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:24 pm

:roll:
The author of the torture memos warns the United States not to do anything rash.

"We should beware that rushing into an impeachment may do long-term harm to the presidency and our national security,"

John Yoo
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:37 pm

Every moment Trump holds presidential office brings more harm to our national security, weakening the respect for such high office. (by those who respect such things)
Iamwhomiam

Postby Cordelia » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:46 pm

“The First Amendment is first for a reason. The Second is just in case the first one doesn’t work out."

Dave Chappelle
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby chump » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:57 pm

via Cryptogon:

https://mises.org/library/how-central-b ... ndless-war
How Central Banks Fund Our Age of Endless War
Llewellyn H. Rockwell
10/31/2019

[…]

In the 1830s, the hard-money Jacksonian monetary theorists coined the marvelous phrase "separation of bank and state." That would be a start.

What we need today is the separation of money and state.

There are some ways in which money is unique among goods. For one thing, money is valued not for its own sake but for its use in exchange. For another, money is not consumed, but rather is handed on from one person to another. And all other goods in the economy have their prices expressed in terms of this good.

But there is nothing about money — or anything else, for that matter — that should make us think its production must be carried out by the government or its designated monopoly grantee. Money constitutes one-half of every non-barter market transaction. People who believe in the market economy, and yet who are prepared to hand over to the state the custodianship of this most crucial good, ought to think again.

Interventionists sometimes claim that a particular good is just too important to be left to the market. The standard free-market reply turns this argument around: the more important a commodity is, the more essential it is for the government not to produce it, and to leave its production to the market instead.

Nowhere is this more true than in the case of money. As Ludwig von Mises once said, the history of money is the history of government efforts to destroy money. Government control of money has yielded monetary debasement, the impoverishment of society relative to the state, devastating business cycles, financial bubbles, capital consumption (because of falsified profit-and-loss accounting), moral hazard, and — most germane to my topic today — the expropriation of the public in ways they are unlikely to understand. It is this silent expropriation that has made possible some of the state's greatest enormities, including its wars, and it is all of these offenses combined that constitute a compelling popular brief against the current system and in favor of a market substitute.

The war machine and the money machine, in short, are intimately linked. It is vain to denounce the moral grotesqueries of the US empire without at the same time taking aim at the indispensable support that makes it all possible. If we wish to oppose the state and all its manifestations — its imperial adventures, its domestic subsidies, its unstoppable spending and debt accumulation — we must point to their source, the central bank, the mechanism that the state and its kept media and economists will defend to their dying days.

The state has persuaded the people that its own interests are identical with theirs. It seeks to promote their welfare. Its wars are their wars. It is the great benefactor, and the people are to be content in their role as its contented subjects.

Ours is a different view. The state's relationship to the people is not benign, it is not one of magnanimous giver and grateful recipient. It is an exploitative relationship, whereby an array of self-perpetuating fiefdoms that produce nothing live at the expense of the toiling majority. Its wars do not protect the public; they fleece it. Its subsidies do not promote the so-called public good; they undermine it. Why should we expect its production of money to be an exception to this general pattern?

[… con’d]
chump

Postby chump » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:22 pm

“My viewpoint is all my own, as was my decision to share the documents.

I call on the European Commission and the British Parliament and the United Staes Congress and all nations to put an end to massive pervasive Corruption.

In this system, our system, the slaves are unaware, both of their status and of their masters. who exist in a world apart and where the shackles are hidden amidst reams of unreachable legalese. It is a result of massive, pervasive corruption of the legal profession.

When it takes a whistleblower to sound the alarm, it is cause for even greater concern. ‘Cause it signals that democracy’s check and balances have all failed, and that severe instability could be just around the corner.

So, now is the time for real action. It’s starts with asking questions. Tax evasion cannot possibly be fixed while elected officials are pleading for money from the very elites who have the strongest incentives to avoid taxes… relative to any other segment of the population. These political practices have come full circle and are irreconcilable. Reform of America’s broken campaign finance system cannot wait.”

- John Doe
chump

Postby LolaB » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:31 pm

How about a little Nietzsche to brighten the day?
This spoke Zarathustra: "To fathom this secret I have fared across the sea: and I have seen truth truly! barefoot to the neck."
LolaB

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:00 pm

David Foster Wallace on Life

On solipsism and compassion, and the choice to see the other:

Here is just one example of the total wrongness of something I tend to be automatically sure of: everything in my own immediate experience supports my deep belief that I am the absolute centre of the universe; the realest, most vivid and important person in existence. We rarely think about this sort of natural, basic self-centredness because it’s so socially repulsive. But it’s pretty much the same for all of us. It is our default setting, hard-wired into our boards at birth. Think about it: there is no experience you have had that you are not the absolute centre of. The world as you experience it is there in front of YOU or behind YOU, to the left or right of YOU, on YOUR TV or YOUR monitor. And so on. Other people’s thoughts and feelings have to be communicated to you somehow, but your own are so immediate, urgent, real.

Please don’t worry that I’m getting ready to lecture you about compassion or other-directedness or all the so-called virtues. This is not a matter of virtue. It’s a matter of my choosing to do the work of somehow altering or getting free of my natural, hard-wired default setting which is to be deeply and literally self-centered and to see and interpret everything through this lens of self. People who can adjust their natural default setting this way are often described as being ‘well-adjusted’, which I suggest to you is not an accidental term.

On the double-edged sword of the intellect:

It is extremely difficult to stay alert and attentive, instead of getting hypnotized by the constant monologue inside your own head (may be happening right now). Twenty years after my own graduation, I have come gradually to understand that the liberal arts cliché about teaching you how to think is actually shorthand for a much deeper, more serious idea: learning how to think really means learning how to exercise some control over how and what you think. It means being conscious and aware enough to choose what you pay attention to and to choose how you construct meaning from experience. Because if you cannot exercise this kind of choice in adult life, you will be totally hosed. Think of the old cliché about ‘the mind being an excellent servant but a terrible master.’

This, like many clichés, so lame and unexciting on the surface, actually expresses a great and terrible truth. It is not the least bit coincidental that adults who commit suicide with firearms almost always shoot themselves in: the head. They shoot the terrible master. And the truth is that most of these suicides are actually dead long before they pull the trigger.

And I submit that this is what the real, no-bullshit value of your liberal arts education is supposed to be about: how to keep from going through your comfortable, prosperous, respectable adult life dead, unconscious, a slave to your head and to your natural default setting of being uniquely, completely, imperially alone day in and day out.

On empathy and kindness:

[P]lease don’t think that I’m giving you moral advice, or that I’m saying you are supposed to think this way, or that anyone expects you to just automatically do it. Because it’s hard. It takes will and effort, and if you are like me, some days you won’t be able to do it, or you just flat out won’t want to.

But most days, if you’re aware enough to give yourself a choice, you can choose to look differently at this fat, dead-eyed, over-made-up lady who just screamed at her kid in the checkout line. Maybe she’s not usually like this. Maybe she’s been up three straight nights holding the hand of a husband who is dying of bone cancer. Or maybe this very lady is the low-wage clerk at the motor vehicle department, who just yesterday helped your spouse resolve a horrific, infuriating, red-tape problem through some small act of bureaucratic kindness. Of course, none of this is likely, but it’s also not impossible. It just depends what you want to consider. If you’re automatically sure that you know what reality is, and you are operating on your default setting, then you, like me, probably won’t consider possibilities that aren’t annoying and miserable. But if you really learn how to pay attention, then you will know there are other options. It will actually be within your power to experience a crowded, hot, slow, consumer-hell type situation as not only meaningful, but sacred, on fire with the same force that made the stars: love, fellowship, the mystical oneness of all things deep down.

On false ideals and real freedom, or what Paul Graham has called the trap of prestige:

Worship power, you will end up feeling weak and afraid, and you will need ever more power over others to numb you to your own fear. Worship your intellect, being seen as smart, you will end up feeling stupid, a fraud, always on the verge of being found out. But the insidious thing about these forms of worship is not that they’re evil or sinful, it’s that they’re unconscious. They are default settings.

They’re the kind of worship you just gradually slip into, day after day, getting more and more selective about what you see and how you measure value without ever being fully aware that that’s what you’re doing.

And the so-called real world will not discourage you from operating on your default settings, because the so-called real world of men and money and power hums merrily along in a pool of fear and anger and frustration and craving and worship of self. Our own present culture has harnessed these forces in ways that have yielded extraordinary wealth and comfort and personal freedom. The freedom all to be lords of our tiny skull-sized kingdoms, alone at the centre of all creation. This kind of freedom has much to recommend it. But of course there are all different kinds of freedom, and the kind that is most precious you will not hear much talk about much in the great outside world of wanting and achieving…. The really important kind of freedom involves attention and awareness and discipline, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day.

That is real freedom. That is being educated, and understanding how to think. The alternative is unconsciousness, the default setting, the rat race, the constant gnawing sense of having had, and lost, some infinite thing.

On what “education” really means and the art of being fully awake to the world:

The real value of a real education [has] almost nothing to do with knowledge, and everything to do with simple awareness; awareness of what is so real and essential, so hidden in plain sight all around us, all the time, that we have to keep reminding ourselves over and over:

‘This is water.’

‘This is water.’

It is unimaginably hard to do this, to stay conscious and alive in the adult world day in and day out. Which means yet another grand cliché turns out to be true: your education really IS the job of a lifetime.
Belligerent Savant

Postby liminalOyster » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:54 am

Speaking of water ...

Donald J Trump wrote:Sinks, uh, showers, all of this stuff, I did a lot of it. No water comes out. You have areas where there’s so much water you don’t know what to do with it. You turn on the shower, you’re not allowed to have any water anymore. I mean, we do a lot of it. Uh, dishwashers. You did the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it? Boom, there’d be like an explosion, five minutes later, you open it, the steam pours out, the dishes. Now you press it 12 times. Women tell me. Again. You know, they give you four drops of water. And they’re in places where there’s so much water they don’t know what to do with it. So we just came out with a reg on dishwashers. We’re going back to you.

... Now we’re doing it with a lot of other things. Uh, dishwashers, and uh, you know. I won’t tell you one of the things because every time I tell you they do a big number on it. You know the one I’m talking about, right? Sinks, right? Showers? And what goes with a sink and a shower?

[Crowd chants, “A toilet!”]

Ten times, right? Ten times. [Trump does flushing motion while saying something that sounds like ‘bah, bop.’] Not me of course, not me, but you. You. But I never mention that. Because one time I mentioned all three. I said, sinks, showers, and toilets. The headline was, ‘Trump with the toilets, toilets.’ That’s all they want. They don’t even mention the, so I didn’t mention that, okay? I go off the record.

But you know what, it’s terrible. You wanna wash your hands, you turn on the sink, no water comes out. So you leave the water, go ten times as long, it’s same thing. You have a shower. Drip. It’s no good for me, for me.

You know, the one thing that came out really good about being in this business, they used to say I wore a hairpiece...

https://earther.gizmodo.com/as-hes-impe ... 1840522364
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby brainpanhandler » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:31 pm

“I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...

The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”
― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby chump » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:04 am

https://kurtnimmo.blog/2019/12/28/2020- ... this-blog/

December 28, 2019 Kurt Nimmo
2020 Prognostication and the End of this Blog

Below I enumerate the reasons we will be unable to effectuate meaningful political and social change in America and why I have decided this blog is pointless.

1. The wars will continue. No political solution is possible. The people are now inured to war. It is not an issue for most Americans. The media does not report the cause and effect of war in a truthful manner. If the wars are to be fought by the invisible poor and the flag-draped coffins arriving at Dover airbase are not shown—to say nothing of videos and photos of uncounted innocents killed by the US government—then most people simply don’t care. They are not motivated to do much of anything about the situation. In this way, they are analogous to the citizens of Nazi Germany.

2. Economic predation by the ruling elite, central banks, and the so-called “one percent” (actually more like 0.001 percent) will continue until the entire house of cards collapses. This will be blamed on whoever is president at the time. It may be Trump, or his successor, be he or she Democrat or Republican. It doesn’t really matter which individual gets the blame for the coming catastrophe that will result in billions of people living in poverty or near-poverty. Anyone who knows anything about how the economy really works under the “guidance” of the Federal Reserve and its cartel of international banksters understands that the president has very little influence over economic policy. The task of the president, backed up by a raft of bogus and misleading statistics issued by government agencies, is to tell lies (he may not know they are lies) and blue sky bullshit about jobs and inflation.

3. Because the corporate media does not tell the truth about the economy, most people are woefully ignorant and unprepared for the eventuality of a “Greater Depression.” This will result in civil violence never before experienced in this country and the government will respond with authoritarian measures.

4. Increasingly, we are denied to right to speak and organize politically. The state is now in the process of making sure its critics cannot be heard on social media and the internet. Narratives counter to official propaganda are now considered domestic terrorism by the FBI, the state’s political police force. Activists on the “far-right” are considered racist, xenophobic, misogynist—essentially “fascist,” although it is obvious many on the “far-left” and even “center-left” have zero idea what a real fascist is. The state in league with corporations—“public-private partnership”—are fascist in orientation. Mussolini, whom we may regard as the grand-daddy of fascism, defined his authoritarian doctrine as corporatism. For most Americans, fascists goose-step in old newsreels and shove Jews in crematoria ovens. They have no idea the credit card they use to buy their corporate latte every morning essentially renders them slaves to real fascists.

5. Donald Trump will likely escape the fate of impeachment, primarily because he is not guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors. Trump should be impeached for telling lies to the American people and engaging in war crimes, not for the patently absurd, vile, and vicious fantasies put out since 2016 by butt-sore loser Democrats led by the psychopath Hillary Clinton. It now (late December 2019) appears Trump may actually be reelected. This will result in further political and social polarization and a marked increase in violence. Again, this will provide the state with an excuse to implement draconian measures, including the rendition of political activists within the United States. The state has prepared for this since the late 60s (Rex 84, Garden Plot, Ollie North’s plan to subvert the Constitution during a “national emergency,” all should serve as examples).

6. The political strategy now used by the state—fomenting division along political, sexual, racial, and perceived class lines—will result in violence on an unprecedented scale. The so-called Left has demonstrated over the last few years that it is not adverse to openly advocating and using violence—from shooting Republicans at baseball practice to the brutality and thuggery of Antifa and other “anarchists” (they defy the definition)—as weapons to score political points.

7. As noted above, the strategy by the state and the global elite is to create division and violence that will require a violent “solution.” The Pentagon has prepared for this for at least a decade and police departments around the nation are now paramilitary organizations—largely due to the effort of the federal government and the Pentagon—that daily reveal a proclivity for violence, including the murder of unarmed and non-threatening civilians.

8. Add to this stew of social and political toxicity the probability of a regional war in the Middle East initiated by Israel and the US (and the scary prospect of a military confrontation with Russia, China, or both), and we have a situation where political repression in America will resemble that of the former East Germany and the Soviet Union. The state adores war—not only for the ability to centralize government and impose sacrifice on the people—but as a sufficient cover to eradicate all political opposition.

9. I believe we have few if any options. As noted above, the American people, by and large, are sufficiently indoctrinated and unable to organize effective resistance. It is far too easy for the state to divert the masses into meaningless and dead-end political sideshows, most obviously the idiotic circus to impeach Trump with its collection of inanities, magician illusions, lies, breaking of the rule of law, and spreading of venomous (and diversionary) hysteria.

10. I see little reason to continue posting this blog. I am, in essence, preaching to the choir, all 200 or so who daily visit this blog. Granted, many of my posts are reposted elsewhere, but the effect, educative or otherwise, is at best minimal. I see little reason to continue. I do fear many of us will be prosecuted—or at best have our internet resources curtailed—and this will be, as the endless wars, of only minimal passing concern to a majority of Americans. After all, the corporate media has maligned us as Nazis, white supremacists, and dangerous terroristic conspiracy theorists. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out where this will lead.

Endnote: I advise the small number of you who have pledged money to this blog through a monthly donation to end payments to my account. I sincerely appreciate your support but, unfortunately, I can no longer continue posting to ADE.
chump

Postby Elvis » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:42 pm

Early in 2000, in a private home in Boca Raton, FL, I
was seated next to then-Presidential Candidate Al Gore at a
fundraiser/dinner to discuss the economy.
The first thing he
asked was how I thought the next president should spend the
coming $5.6 trillion surplus that was forecasted for the next 10
years.

I explained that there wasn’t going to be a $5.6 trillion
surplus, because that would mean a $5.6 trillion drop in nongovernment
savings of financial assets, which was a ridiculous
proposition. At the time, the private sector didn’t even have
that much in savings to be taxed away by the government
, and
the latest surplus of several hundred billion dollars had already
removed more than enough private savings to turn the Clinton
boom into the soon-to-come bust.

I pointed out to Candidate Gore that the last six periods of
surplus in our more than two hundred-year history had been
followed by the only six depressions in our history. Also, I
mentioned that the coming bust would be due to allowing the
budget to go into surplus and drain our savings, resulting in a
recession that would not end until the deficit got high enough
to add back our lost income and savings and deliver the
aggregate demand needed to restore output and employment.

I suggested that the $5.6 trillion surplus which was forecasted
for the next decade would more likely be a $5.6 trillion deficit,
as normal savings desires are likely to average 5% of GDP
over that period of time.

That is pretty much what happened. The economy fell
apart, and President Bush temporarily reversed it with his
massive deficit spending in 2003. But after that, and before
we had had enough deficit spending to replace the financial
assets lost to the Clinton surplus years (a budget surplus takes
away exactly that much savings from the rest of us), we let the
deficit get too small again. And after the sub-prime debt-driven
bubble burst, we again fell apart due to a deficit that was and
remains far too small for the circumstances.

For the current level of government spending, we are
being over-taxed and we don’t have enough after-tax income
to buy what’s for sale in that big department store called the
economy.

Anyway, Al was a good student, went over all the details,
agreeing that it made sense and was indeed what might happen.
However, he said he couldn’t “go there.” I told him that I
understood the political realities, as he got up and gave his talk
about how he was going to spend the coming surpluses.

—Warren Mosler, SEVEN DEADLY INNOCENT FRAUDS OF ECONOMIC POLICY (2010)
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:24 pm

Hello and welcome to the 77th Annual Golden Globe Awards, live from the Beverly Hilton Hotel here in Los Angeles. I’m Ricky Gervais, thank you.
...tonight isn’t just about the people in front of the camera. In this room are some of the most important Tv and film executives in the world. People from every background. They all have one thing in common. They’re all terrified of Ronan Farrow. He’s coming for ya. Talking of all you perverts, it was a big year for pedophile movies. Surviving R. Kelly, Leaving Neverland, Two Popes. Shut up. Shut up. I don’t care. I don’t care.
...You could binge-watch the entire first season of Afterlife instead of watching this show. That’s a show about a man who wants to kill himself cause his wife dies of cancer and it’s still more fun than this. Spoiler alert, season two is on the way so in the end he obviously didn’t kill himself. Just like Jeffrey Epstein. Shut up. I know he’s your friend but I don’t care.
...Apple roared into the TV game with The Morning Show, a superb drama about the importance of dignity and doing the right thing, made by a company that runs sweatshops in China. Apple, Amazon, Disney — if Isis started a streaming service you’d call your agent, wouldn’t ya? So if you do win an award tonight, don’t use it as a platform to make a political speech. You’re in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg.

So if you win, come up accept your little award, thank your agent, and your god and fuck off. It’s already three hours long.

Belligerent Savant

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie