SCOTUS Overturns Roe v Wade

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

SCOTUS Overturns Roe v Wade

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:33 am

SCOTUS has rendered their decision in Dobbs v Jackson Woman's Health Organization and has overturned the long- standing precedent granting the right to abort pregnancy, as decided in Roe v Wade.

Abortion in the United States is now illegal, and criminal.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/slipopinion/21

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/19-1392_6j37.pdf
Last edited by Iamwhomiam on Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: SCOTUS Overturns Row V Wade

Postby kelley » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:33 pm

the US is coming apart

this decision is the first step in overturning the civil rights legacy going back to '64

didn't think this would ever happen but there it is

another humiliating day for the citizens of this country
kelley

Re: SCOTUS Overturns Roe V Wade

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:05 pm

Yes, iam, but remember this goes by state. It is now illegal and criminal (sometimes with incredible penalties!) in those states that have already passed laws to automatically render it illegal as soon as the SC decides to overturn Roe, as it did in the ruling issued today. Other states may now pass laws to do the same. Otherwise it remains legal in New York (I mention as my own state) and, for now, about 30 other states (I think) where the majority of U.S. people live.

Very fucked up. Human beings commandeered into forced breeders on the command of a state, at pain of potential life imprisonment if they do not comply (or are found to have visited another state for the procedure). Why? Because of a pretty much invented religious doctrine forced on the majority who do not subscribe to it, in violation of separation of church and state. (Of course it shouldn't matter whether it's a majority or minority who don't share this belief.) Of course, also because of other motives that can be summed up as patriarchy and an atavistic understanding of capitalism as demanding natalism.

It's kind of an ultimate in violating freedom and rights, yet it's not something that's taken too seriously by many on this board, unfortunately. I've seen more than a few posts recently along the lines that some "debate" about abortion is just part of stoking up "culture war" to "artificially" divide "us." By that logic, it's suspect to even mention such Democratic-oriented trivia as abortion rights, because it hurts the theocratic fanatics who might otherwise become our essential allies against the real Big Bads of finance and imperialism, etc.

In keeping with that idea, there were those who were more interested in the source of the leak last month, knowing, just knowing by the magic POOMA method, that it could not be an angry intern, or perhaps Alito himself looking to defuse the anger in advance. No, it had to be, could only be, the product of a high-level mastermind conspiracy seeking to divide "us" along these useless culture-war lines.

And of course this echoes the right-wing damage-control against the popular anger caused by the news that Roe was about to be overturned, which was to try to distract by making the leak (of something that predictably became official a month later) into the main issue. The leak, in fact, was supposed to be some kind of ephochal violation, far greater than the violation of the rights of 170 million women. (Tangentially, I remembered, as I often do, that 10 years ago this board was awash in posts about how Assange had to be one of THEM since the Wikileaks leaks weren't magically satisfying everyone's desire to hear confirmation of one's preferred conspiracy, and therefore must have been cooked up wholesale as distraction or limited hangout, etc. etc.)

Also, I saw some sophistry along the lines of golly gee, person X could have been aborted and look at what a remarkable and worthy life they lived! Which is Hollywood stuff, because it could be true of ANYONE, anyone at all. It's completely arbitrary which story is constructed and presented as worth telling as if it is making a meaningful general point. (Golly gee, person X could have been run over... bombed by drone... died from this disease or that cause of malnutrition... etc. etc. For that matter, Golly gee, mass murderer Y could have been aborted thus saving all those lives... etc. etc.) Totally irrelevant to the issue. Sentimentalist religion-tinged bullshit, in some cases perhaps presented by those who don't have the balls to just say that they really are thinking, no, women should not have bodily autonomy, their wombs should be under the control of their men and/or the state.

The issue is about bodily autonomy and it is as fundamental as or more fundamental than anything else that has ever been seen as belonging to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The fact is that none of the currently 90+ percent boys on this forum condemning Covid vaccine mandates (as they SHOULD, by the way, no false binaries here) would, if they were female but otherwise basically the same fellows, see this as anything other than far worse, especially if they were of child-bearing age. Forced breeding is the most egregious conceivable violation this side of chattel slavery, the Guantanamo treatment, or straight-up murder. In addition, the revocation of rights is to be perpetrated on the majority of humans within these jurisdictions, but somehow this is supposed to be some kind of specialized interest.

[added after cross post with kelley] It's more like the fifteenth or 25th step, at this point. How do we not see Bush v. Gore as the granddaddy? Absolutely anything goes, after that travesty. Buckley v. Valeo was back in the 1970s, setting up the nuclear bomb version that is Citizens United in 2011 or so. The voting rights act was largely gutted by the Roberts court about 10 years ago. Yes, paradoxically, they can sometimes find against the trend, as with the gay marriage ruling, but there's no doubt where the preponderance of the direction lies. All kinds of voter suppression and gerrymandering moves have been accepted by courts, though some have been rejected. As you may know, this court just in the last couple of days finished off Miranda. A lower court just found that anti-BDS laws are constitutional. How do you think that and all the other new censorship laws are going to do, once they get to the highest court?

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby kelley » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:10 pm

I understand these points about previous points as political

the overturning of Roe is deeply personal

and it is different

there's absolutely nothing abstract about it

today's decision affects every single citizen of the US in the deepest manner possible

I'm not disagreeing with you Jack

but am pretty certain the power dynamics here are exactly what Carol Hanisch had written about
kelley

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:39 pm

kelley » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:10 pm wrote:I understand these points about previous points as political

the overturning of Roe is deeply personal

and it is different

there's absolutely nothing abstract about it

today's decision affects every single citizen of the US in the deepest manner possible

I'm not disagreeing with you Jack

but am pretty certain the power dynamics here are exactly what Carol Hanisch had written about

I'm sure, believe you in solidarity, yes, yes, didn't think so, and yes.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby DrEvil » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:26 pm

I was going to rant about this, but Jack pretty much summed it up above in his excellent screed. Fuck these people, and fuck their apologists.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby liminalOyster » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:19 pm

Viva, Jack and kelley. Thank you both for your words. I've expected this for a very long time and still find I'm viscerally nauseous and enraged. There's much to discuss about the strength of Roe in the first place and why this happened, not to mention what is necessary now mutual aid and support wise. But for now I'm just pissed off on behalf of all the disadvantaged young women in my neighborhood in the South who don't have the resources/means to travel and for whom this may well ruin their lives.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Re: SCOTUS Overturns Row v Wade

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:04 am

Sorry to hear this people.

I know she's not here anymore but this decision was a big reason SLAD was so TDS after the 2016 election. I guess we all saw it coming but I'm not a woman in the US so it doesn't have the same visceral effect for me. (Youse should check out Australian abortion law history, we are pretty barbaric.)

Anyway I saw this tweet a little while ago and it sort of sums the whole thing up for me.

When the penalty for aborting after rape is more severe than the penalty for rape, that's when you know it's a war on women
Joe Hillshoist

Postby drstrangelove » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:37 am

After a brief hiatus, the theology picks up where the science left off in the bipartisan attack on bodily autonomy. The doublethink will be something to behold amongst devout and secular alike.
drstrangelove

Postby DrEvil » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:24 pm

That didn't take long. :roll:
DrEvil

Re: SCOTUS Overturns Roe v Wade

Postby drstrangelove » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:34 pm

Looks like they successfully divided us.
drstrangelove

Postby liminalOyster » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:11 am

drstrangelove » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:37 am wrote:After a brief hiatus, the theology picks up where the science left off in the bipartisan attack on bodily autonomy. The doublethink will be something to behold amongst devout and secular alike.

The base being played to (aka manipulated and controlled) in both cases here seems to be disproportionately the social (evangelical) right. And there is no shortage of people on the Left (evidenced here often) who feel that body autonomy is close to a moral absolute whether it be protected against vax mandates or against prohibiting reproductive autonomy.

Refocusing away from the fact that one side of a major culture war - the side who hate women, gay people, intellectuals, etc - just got the victory they've been salivating over for nearly fifty years seems far more divisive and similar to doublethink than anything else.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby DrEvil » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:16 am

drstrangelove » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:34 am wrote:Looks like they successfully divided us.

Yeah, because being hunted down and thrown in jail for getting raped is totally the same as risking your job for refusing the vaccine.

They didn't divide us, the division was already there, as the supreme court's latest decision should be a stark reminder of. This was the culmination of forty years of planning and preparation by the republican party and their evangelical allies.

Next up, gay marriage and access to contraceptives. Interracial marriage will probably be okay until Thomas fucks off to the afterlife.
DrEvil

Postby kelley » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:35 pm

it makes turning sixty this summer ALOT more tolerable

welcome even

( fifty-nine actually but who's counting )
kelley

Postby DrEvil » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:41 pm

On that note: birthdays are now mandatory.
DrEvil

Next

Return to General Discussion