War on Drugs, Money Laundry and Plan (Destroy) Mexico

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: War on Drugs, Money Laundry and Plan (Destroy) Mexico

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:25 am

I'm cynical about this too, but I think you guys are too reflexively so. The UN report with the high-profile list of commissioners would have been unimaginable in the recent past.

gnosticheresy2 wrote:If there is ever de facto (or even de jure - now there's a thought!) legalisation of currently illegal drugs in "The West", it will be one of the final breaks in the chain, not one of the first.

I disagree. Of all the major links in "the chain," to take your metaphor, I think the War on Drugs is the most vulnerable both in popular and elite perception, and obviously its demise would have an incredible number of consequences on multiple systems of repression and exploitation. Certainly it's weaker than "links" like private corporate banking, or the MIC and perpetual war for empire and the concept that the military defends "us," or the need for a deep national security state, or globalization and "free trade," or the myth of terrorism, or the power of the hydrocarbon industries, or the myth of technological fixes for everything.

I clip articles from counterpunch a lot, I know, but damned even given Cockburn if it isn't one of the more open forums for good writing and research that hits hard on the right targets. The following article is highly informative but depressing for completely discounting (to the point of omission) the chances of the Mexican left, which actually won the last presidential election in 2006 and saw it stolen by brazen fraud.

http://counterpunch.org/imison06022011.html

June 2, 2011

Enough Already!
Los Zetas, the PRI, Mexico's Anti-War Movement

By PAUL IMISON

Meet the meanest of the mean, the baddest of the bad. Having started life as the armed wing of the Gulf Cartel and then gone solo, "Los Zetas" (the Z's) are currently regarded as the deadliest of the organized crime gangs tearing up "Drug War"-era Mexico. Now formidable drug-traffickers in their own right (the DEA has linked them to Italy's 'Ndrangheta mob) as well as making a hefty sum through kidnappings, extortion and other delitos, the Zetas are best-known for a startling string of atrocities that have elevated the Mexican cartel war to new levels of grisliness. The recent spate of senseless executions in Durango and Tamaulipas (where over 300 bodies were discovered in mass graves, some dating back four years), as well as the massacre of 27 in Guatemala, are widely attributed to the gang.

Los Zetas was founded by and originally consisted of deserters from the Mexican Special Forces who in the late '90s accepted an offer to join Osiel Cardenas Guillen's Gulf Cartel, taking their considerable military expertise and heavy-duty weapons with them. The Gulf Cartel's main plaza (or territory) is the aforementioned Tamaulipas, which borders the US in northeast Mexico and is therefore home to lucrative trafficking routes. Los Zetas steadily climbed the ranks of the cartel, gaining increasing influence, until February 2010 when banners hung from bridges in the city of Matamoros announced a vicious split between former employer and hired muscle; in Drug War etiquette, a sure sign that all hell is about to break loose.

Referring to the reputation that Los Zetas have for brutality, the banner read: "The Gulf Cartel distances itself from [Los Zetas]. We do not want kidnappers, terrorists, rapists, child-killers and traitors in our ranks" (because obviously the carnage carried out by Cardenas Guillen and his gang over the years was of a more humane variety).

Since then, the states of Tamaulipas and neighboring Nuevo Leon have hosted a fierce turf war between the two sides and are currently seeing the worst violence in the country. Los Zetas' main strongholds are the cities of Monterrey, Nuevo Laredo, and Veracruz, the historic gateway to Mexico, while they are fighting to take key Gulf plazas like Matamoros, a port city that receives crucial shipments of cocaine and Central American arms. The Zetas' turf stretches south along the Gulf and Caribbean coasts, while they are also known to control smuggling corridors through Central America, where 27 people were slaughtered and beheaded on a Guatemalan farm last month.

The elite Special Forces unit that spawned Los Zetas was created in the mid-'80s as Grupo Aeromovil de Fuerzas Especiales, or GAFE (motto: "Everything for Mexico"), and trained by both France and the US – in the latter via the "School of the Americas". The unit was deployed in Chiapas in 1994 to put down the left-wing Zapatista rebellion, employing the same counterinsurgency tactics now used against rival cartels and the very armed forces they once served. As a snapshot of how Los Zetas go about business, federal police recently seized a converted pick-up truck turned steel-plated assault vehicle belonging to the cartel, which had been fitted with gun turrets and christened "the Monster".

But they can't win. As an acknowledged rival of the Sinaloa Cartel, Mexico's most powerful criminal organization and purported favorite of the Felipe Calderon administration, Los Zetas have already suffered some pretty heavy losses at the hands of security forces, with eleven top members and regional bosses captured since the start of the year. Sinaloa boss "El Chapo" Guzman supports the Gulf Cartel against Los Zetas in the northeast, while the latter have assisted Guzman's rivals elsewhere in the country. Zeta incursions into El Chapo's "Golden Triangle" of Durango, Sinaloa and Chihuahua have been largely unsuccessful so far, but the gang's high-octane hardware and violent tactics mean that local communities have been paralyzed by the fighting. Like Tamaulipas, Durango has recently seen a shocking phenomenon of mass graves – the victims are mainly economic migrants and illegal immigrants traveling cross-country, attacked on highways and either forcibly recruited or killed.

Until the mass graves started appearing, Los Zetas' most notorious attack was the murder of one US Customs Agent and the wounding of another in the city of San Luis Potosi in February. Despite the fact that 30,000-plus lives had already been lost to "Drug War" violence, the incident drew international attention because the targets were US officials. It's been suggested that the attack was not sanctioned by the Zetas' leadership – who would be loath to bring the wrath of the Obama administration upon their heads - but the result of a local cell acting independently. This throws up another notion, that the powerful capos, or bosses, of the cartels have only loose control over the mercenaries they hire, resulting in evermore gruesome acts of violence by lower-level gangs.

Looking Ahead: Can the PRI End the Mexican Drug War?

After five years of mayhem in Mexico, what follows will largely depend on the outcome of next summer's presidential election, where former ruling party the PRI is expected to return to power. Famously described by Peruvian writer Mario Vargas Llosa as "the perfect dictatorship", the once-radical, later-reactionary Institutional Party of the Revolution was thought to be dead in the water when their 70-year rule ended in free elections in 2000. It's a testament to how badly Felipe Calderon's PAN administration has managed things since – particularly the "Drug War" – that many Mexicans will now welcome the PRI back with open arms.

It's believed that the PRI was considerably more adept at "negotiating" with the drug-trafficking organizations and keeping inter-cartel violence to a minimum. Organized crime reportedly contributes $25-35 billion per year to the Mexican economy, making it almost impossible to dismantle the financial networks propping up the cartels – not to mention the huge international demand that feeds the drug trade. Whether you call it corruption or just plain common sense, successive PRI governments parceled out territory between the cartels, for the most part keeping the peace, while ensuring that Washington was kept happy with comprehensive neoliberal reforms (the US went from breaking off relations after the PRI nationalized the oil industry in the 1930s to giving President Miguel Aleman a Washington parade in 1947 when Mexico jumped on board as a Cold War ally).

The likeliest candidate for the PRI next year and probable next president, dapper Mexico State Governor Enrique Pena Nieto (complete with telenovela-actress-wife), has already quietly visited Washington, courted European investors via the Financial Times, and generally sold the idea that "Drug War"-era Mexico is still open for business. Interestingly, however, the recent US embassy cables released by Wikileaks suggest concern about the PRI retaking office. Although increasingly pro-US and "free trade" in their final years, the party was always less pliable than the PAN, and their rumored plan to bring the drug cartels to the negotiating table could punch holes in the US strategy for increased military co-operation between the countries.

The US essentially wants to turn Mexico into Colombia, with military bases and a shared bi-national security strategy. The former is extremely unlikely under any party because of national sentiment towards US intervention going back to the Mexican-American War. The latter is already in place, however, via the Merida Initiative, whereby military aid to Mexico (and Central America) effectively be used to carry out US foreign policy aims, which have everything to do with suppressing popular opposition and keeping countries like Mexico as client states. The PRI will certainly not turn against its northern neighbor wholesale, but it may well have its own ideas to end the inter-cartel rivalry.

"We've Had It Up to Here"

Given the intense violence engulfing the country, it was only a matter of time before popular movements emerged protesting the actions of both the cartels and the government. The biggest anti-war statement, which I reported for this site, so far took place on Sunday, May 8, when some 200,000 Mexicans from a wide range of backgrounds marched from Cuernavaca, Morelos, to the National Palace in Mexico City's Zocalo Square. The figurehead of the movement is poet-turned-activist Javier Sicilia who lost his son to drug violence in March. Sicilia is a middle-class, media-friendly voice of dissent who has harshly criticised government policy and sparked more debate in two months than thousands of "ordinary" (lower class) victims of the Drug War before him.

Sicilia has since organized a "Peace Caravan" that will journey through twelve Mexican states and arrive June 10 in Ciudad Juarez, the city most affected by violence, with 3000 killings in 2010 alone. He and his supporters will collect signatures for a "National Pact for Peace" which demands an end to the policy of militarization and urges the government to tackle the public health and socio-economic issues behind drug-trafficking (an estimated 450,000 Mexicans are employed by organized crime, while rates of drug use have shot up as the cartels seek to open domestic markets). While there is substantial popular support for the anti-war movement, it's highly unlikely that Felipe Calderon will change tack before he leaves office next summer. The protest in Ciudad Juarez, like the one in Mexico City, is likely to be symbolic of the sea-change in Mexican public opinion and little more.

Strikingly, the movement has focused its protest against Calderon and not the US despite the Obama administration's full backing of the Drug War and its plans to increase military aid to Mexico. Indeed, it's almost inconceivable that Calderon would have embarked on the policy without US support. Obama is still relatively popular south of the border where many Mexicans bought the same hype as liberal America and were of course awed by the historical significance of his election. Some observers have suggested that, however well-intentioned, Mexico's anti-war movement is doomed to fail precisely because it fails to address the broader political forces at work in the "War on Drugs".

Ultimately, the irony of the Merida Initiative security agreement that Washington signed with Mexico (and Central America) in 2008 is that it was intended to protect US interests and put down the kind of popular resistance that could undermine both governments and the incredibly lucrative (for a handful of CEOs) NAFTA/CAFTA free trade agreements. Ironic then that the very "security" policies Washington is pushing on the region are leading to the kind of unrest it sought to suppress. Mexicans, traditionally more politically aware than their northern neighbors, have little doubt about who really pulls the strings in regional policy-making, and if the burgeoning resistance movement finds its feet, it could begin to force the next government's hand in forging an alternative path to tackle the country's problems.

Paul Imison is a journalist. He can be reached at paulimison@hotmail.com

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby hanshan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:19 pm

J

JackRiddler:

I'm cynical about this too, but I think you guys are too reflexively so. The UN report with the high-profile list of commissioners would have been unimaginable in the recent past

Jack - you're too cute by half; although, I do agree the UN report/conclusions would have
never appeared a scant few years ago; not that it makes a rat's ass diff...

JackRiddler:

I disagree. Of all the major links in "the chain," to take your metaphor, I think the War on Drugs is the most vulnerable both in popular and elite perception, and obviously its demise would have an incredible number of consequences on multiple systems of repression and exploitation.

Vulnerable, not. Too entrenched. It ain't goin' anywheres, Jack; & your naivete/opto is touching.

hanshan

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:51 pm

I don't think Jack is being naive at all, but is bringing a refreshing counterpoint to the skepticism surrounding the intents behind "ending the war on drugs". I don't agree with Jack, but here is what I think is the point. Creating controlled mayhem and stemming uncontrolled mayhem in which no profit can be extracted from. It is about education, racism, sexism and religion. All of them pivot points that can be manipulated at will, fine tuned if you will, in order for this to be a win win for the authority. As shit has fallen and is falling increasingly out of their control, they are tuning up the level of fascist authority, fascism 2.0.

They make it appear as though they are bumbling idjits, their figureheads, they make it appear as though they are doing something noble, logical, ethical. But in the end, it is more power, more subjugation, more racism, more war etc. Look at what ex-police chief of Seattle has gone on to do as the "drug czar" and left Seattle with. Cops running around murdering citizens, for one. But as I said in the John T Williams thread, it seemed to me to be somehow sacrificial. They spin the system like a top and then wait for the intended results. And the result is they win. What they don't get is an increasing number of people don't believe that winning is the right term to describe a wholesome life. So thus, they create mayhem. And thus, they have had to roll out ever so slowly fascism 2.0. They don't call it "creeping fascism", "slippery slope" for nothing.

(edit: wait I read the thread again and I think I do agree with Jack. The meta-ness of this situation is its power. But Jack is definitely never ever naive for christ's sake.)
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 8bitagent » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:44 pm

82_28 wrote:I don't think Jack is being naive at all, but is bringing a refreshing counterpoint to the skepticism surrounding the intents behind "ending the war on drugs". I don't agree with Jack, but here is what I think is the point. Creating controlled mayhem and stemming uncontrolled mayhem in which no profit can be extracted from. It is about education, racism, sexism and religion. All of them pivot points that can be manipulated at will, fine tuned if you will, in order for this to be a win win for the authority. As shit has fallen and is falling increasingly out of their control, they are tuning up the level of fascist authority, fascism 2.0.

They make it appear as though they are bumbling idjits, their figureheads, they make it appear as though they are doing something noble, logical, ethical. But in the end, it is more power, more subjugation, more racism, more war etc. Look at what ex-police chief of Seattle has gone on to do as the "drug czar" and left Seattle with. Cops running around murdering citizens, for one. But as I said in the John T Williams thread, it seemed to me to be somehow sacrificial. They spin the system like a top and then wait for the intended results. And the result is they win. What they don't get is an increasing number of people don't believe that winning is the right term to describe a wholesome life. So thus, they create mayhem. And thus, they have had to roll out ever so slowly fascism 2.0. They don't call it "creeping fascism", "slippery slope" for nothing.

(edit: wait I read the thread again and I think I do agree with Jack. The meta-ness of this situation is its power. But Jack is definitely never ever naive for christ's sake.)

Yeah it feels to me like some of this stuff is partially intended to cause total chaos. Like the civil war that happened in Iraq a few years ago. Mass chaos and death for chaos and death sake.
The situation in Mexico seems like Sheen approaching Col. Kurtz, just "Wtf" levels of depravity. Order out of chaos
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:28 pm

Well, all the places Americans go in Mexico are American, subsidized by the corporations. When the Mexicans come here they call it "the Mexican part of town" and they're "illegals". Nobody seems to get this racist ass irony.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:07 am

The US is still at war with Mexico. Hence this drug war.

Imagine if Mexico were socially, economically and politically united, like say Canada or the US (ie not a lot, just enough to function.) The flow of illegal immigration would probably be south from Az now.

Better a Mexico thats tearing itself apart than one thats economically strong.

I tend to agree with jack wrt to the war on drugs being potentially the most vulnerable of the platforms of repression and oppression.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby vanlose kid » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:54 am

The global drug war and the Nixon connection
Failed policies in the war against drugs have historical roots in the foreign policy objectives of powerful nations.
Paul Rosenberg Last Modified: 05 Jun 2011 08:20

On June 2, a report form the prestigious Global Commission on Drug Policy told the world what it already knew: the decades-long war on drugs has been a spectacular failure.

"The global war on drugs has failed, with devastating consequences for individuals and societies around the world," said the report in its executive summary, "fundamental reforms in national and global drug control policies are urgently needed.”

As one indication of how badly the war on drugs has failed, the report cited UN data showing a 34.5 per cent increase in opiate use from 1998 to 2008, along with a 27 per cent increase in cocaine and an 8.5 per cent increase in cannabis.

It went on to highlight counter-productive aspects of the war on drugs, noting that "repressive efforts directed at consumers impede public health measures to reduce HIV/AIDS, overdose fatalities and other harmful consequences of drug use".

The report also stated that "government expenditures on futile supply reduction strategies and incarceration displace more cost-effective and evidence-based investments in demand and harm reduction".

The commission's membership includes former UN Secretary-General Kofi Anan, as well as former presidents of Brazil, Colombia, Mexico and Switzerland, the current Prime Minister of Greece, former US Secretary of State George P Shultz, and former US Federal Reserve Chair, Paul Volker. Prominent writers Carlos Fuentes and Mario Vargas Llosa and businessman Richard Branson, are among other members.

The report recommended four guiding principles for national and international drug policies, replacing the current prison-filling approach:

Drug policies must be based on solid empirical and scientific evidence. The primary measure of success should be the reduction of harm to the health, security and welfare of individuals and society.

Drug policies must be based on human rights and public health principles. We should end the stigmatisation and marginalisation of people who use certain drugs and those involved in the lower levels of cultivation, production and distribution, and treat people dependent on drugs as patients, not criminals.

The development and implementation of drug policies should be a global shared responsibility, but also needs to take into consideration diverse political, social and cultural realities. Policies should respect the rights and needs of people affected by production, trafficking and consumption, as explicitly acknowledged in the 1988 Convention on Drug Trafficking.

Drug policies must be pursued in a comprehensive manner, involving families, schools, public health specialists, development practitioners and civil society leaders, in partnership with law enforcement agencies and other relevant governmental bodies.

In cahoots with cartels?

Unsurprisingly - given the role the Cold War played in promoting the international drug trade - both Russia and the US recklessly denounced the report. The report also advised a strategic approach to tackling criminal mass violence as a distinct problem: Focus repressive actions on violent criminal organisations, but do so in ways that undermine their power and reach while prioritising the reduction of violence and intimidation.

"We have to realise that we are dealing with a global propaganda of illicit drugs here," said Russia's federal drug control service head Viktor Ivanov, clearly ignoring the report's actual content. "This propaganda campaign is linked to the huge profits [from sales of illicit drugs] that are estimated at about $800bn annually," he said.

The US stopped short of accusing the commission of being in cahoots with drug cartels, but was similarly disengaged from the report's actual contents.

"Drug addiction is a disease that can be successfully prevented and treated," said Rafael Lemaitre, spokesman of the Whitehouse office of National Drug Control Policy. But this argument ignores two key points made by the report: First that only ten per cent of users are drug-dependent, and second, that the current law-enforcement focus makes it significantly harder to provide the successful prevention and treatment that Lemaitre spoke of as if they were already the norm.

Lemaitre's press release also cited a smorgasbord of statistics giving the strong impression of dramatic and unbroken success. But they had the distinct feel of being carefully cherry-picked, as was confirmed by Bill Piper, Director of National Affairs for the Drug Policy Institute.

"Drug use statistics go up and down, they fluctuate," Piper said. "What really matters is not overall drug use rates, but more important criteria such as overdose fatalities, spread of HIV/AIDS, violence, addiction, etc. And when we look at all those statistics, it's all bad news."

And, indeed, it was the totality of drug war results that was the drug commission's over-riding concern: the wasted money and other resources, violence and wasted lives. If one reads the report itself, and ignores the criticisms that are based on mis-characterising what it says, it's difficult to understand how or why the current failed policies can persist. Which is why it helps to turn to a bit of history.

CIA connection

As historian Alfred McCoy explained in his 1972 classic, The Politics of Heroin in Southeast Asia: CIA Complicity in the Global Drug Trade - later revised and expanded into The Politics of Heroin - the global hard drug trade was virtually destroyed by World War II. The CIA helped revive it, beginning by striking a deal with the Corsican Mafia to secure their assistance in driving communist union organisers off of the docks of Marseilles, laying the foundations for the "French Connection".

There followed a long, far-reaching pattern of cooperation between US covert operations and high-level drug-dealing organisations, who helped make the shadier covert operations self-financing, insulating them from unwanted oversight. Thus, Southeast Asia became a major global drug-supplier as an off-shoot of the Vietnam War, especially its more covert aspects. Similarly, the CIA-supported Afghanistan conflict not only helped create al-Qaeda, it rocketed the local poppy crop to the top of the global charts. In addition, a wide range of covert actions across Latin America helped fuel the cocaine explosion of the 1970s and 1980s, including the innovation of crack cocaine.

But this was only one side of the story. The other side begins with Richard Nixon, who ran for president on "law and order" in 1968. This was largely just code for lumping together his most voiceless political enemies - student demonstrators and "uppity" urban blacks - but it was given a rational veneer as a promise to crack down on street crime - something that presidents had virtually nothing to do with at the time.

Once elected, Nixon cast about for a way to make good on his impossible promise - or at least to look tough fighting against the odds. The war on drugs was the answer he came up with, and ever since it has survived on this strange conjunction of unacknowledged political motives on the one hand, and the impossibility of actual success on the other. Its political utility is grounded in the fact that it's a war that can never be won. All it can do is keep piling up victims, year after year.

The Global Commission on Drug Policy calls that a "failure". But Nixon would call it a tremendous success. And Washington is Nixon's town, now more than ever before.

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/op ... 60347.html

"Teach them to think. Work against the government." – Wittgenstein.
vanlose kid

Postby lucky » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:03 pm

fwiw -in the UK and and alot of europe there has been a heroin drought since oct last year, it can be got but the price is higherand the quality lower but for the forst 3 months there was nothing. I have connections and managed to to score when i wanted but i was one of the lucky few - the media has more or less ignored this btw the uk normally gets thro @25-30 tonnes of junk a year
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

Postby hanshan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:56 am

bumping for later

hanshan

Postby Stephen Morgan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:18 am

lucky wrote:fwiw -in the UK and and alot of europe there has been a heroin drought since oct last year, it can be got but the price is higherand the quality lower but for the forst 3 months there was nothing. I have connections and managed to to score when i wanted but i was one of the lucky few - the media has more or less ignored this btw the uk normally gets thro @25-30 tonnes of junk a year

Not sure if that's a good thing or not. Probably a method of manipulating the market to increase profit margins.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Re: Drug War: Covert Money, Power & Policy: Viva Zapata

Postby American Dream » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:13 pm

http://narcosphere.narconews.com/notebo ... g-confirms

U.S. Special Ops Troops Deployed in Mexico, Leaked Briefing Confirms
Posted by Bill Conroy - June 5, 2011

Document, Prepared At the Request of a “Tea Party” Congressman, Indicates the 7th Special Forces Group “Has Conducted Operations in Every Latin American Country”

A Pentagon document has come to light that confirms the U.S. has put special operations troops on the ground in Mexico as the drug war there continues to escalate, notching some 40,000 murders since late 2006.

The document is a Department of Defense briefing presented in mid-May 2009 in Washington, D.C., to a group of business and political leaders from northwest Florida. The “Unclassified/For Official Use Only” briefing reveals the 18 Latin American nations where 7th Special Forces Group soldiers [Airborne Green Berets] were deployed as of fiscal year 2009, which ended Sept. 30, 2009.

Among those nations, according to the briefing document, was Mexico.

The document also indicates a 7th Special Forces unit was deployed in Mexico in 1996 as well, as part of a “counter-narcotics” mission.

The revelations in the briefing material are important because, to date, neither the Pentagon nor the State Department has confirmed that U.S. special forces have been deployed inside Mexico — a politically volatile subject in that Latin American nation given the rising drug-war death toll there and the “Yankee” history of U.S. Gunboat Diplomacy in the region.

From the vantage point of U.S. policymakers, the deployment of covert Pentagon special forces inside Mexico also is fraught with political peril, given the discovery of such operations by the targets, narco-traffickers in this case, could result in blowback against U.S. agents and interests in Mexico. It also could strain relations with Mexican President Felipe Calderon, who is already feeling increasingly isolated due to his disastrous drug-war policy.

The 7th Special Forces Group (SFG) has played a key role since the 1980s in the bellicose history of Latin America, according to the briefing document and other sources. The 7th SFG has participated in numerous “counter-insurgency” missions in Central America as well as in the invasion of Panama in late 1989. It also has been quite active over the years in counter-narcotics missions in the South America Andean Ridge Countries of Colombia, Venezuela, Peru Ecuador and Bolivia; and more recently in hostage rescue operations in Colombia.

The latter operation, according information in the briefing document, involved the participation of the 7th SFG in the July 2008 rescue of three DoD contractors and noted Colombian activist and politician Ingrid Betancourt, among others, who were being held as hostages by the leftist FARC guerrillas.

Narco News reported on that rescue at the time, indicating then, against the tide of mainstream reporting, that a U.S. special-forces unit was deeply involved in the rescue — a report now seemingly confirmed by this briefing document.

Narco News also reported in detail last year about the activities of U.S. special forces operating covertly inside Mexico.

From that June 12, 2010, story:
The U.S. unit [operating inside Mexico], dubbed Task Force 7, since early 2009, according to the CIA operative, has helped to uncover a warehouse in Juarez packed with U.S. munitions and under the control of drug traffickers; provide critical intelligence that led to the raid of a Juarez sweatshop that was manufacturing phony Mexican military uniforms; worked with the Mexican military in uncovering a mass grave near Palomas, Mexico, just south of Columbus, New Mexico; and, behind the scenes, cooperated with the Mexican Navy in hunting down a major narco-trafficker, Arturo Beltran Leyva -- who was killed by Mexican Navy special forces last December [2009] during a raid on a luxury apartment complex in Cuernavaca, Mexico.

That information was provided to Narco News at the time, according to the source, Tosh Plumlee, a former CIA contract pilot who still has deep connections in the covert world, because the members of Task Force 7 believed they had been compromised by leaks.

In fact, Plumlee had relayed some information to Narco News about the task force and its security concerns as early as April of 2009 on the condition we not publish that information then for fear it might jeopardize the lives of the unit’s members.

By June of 2010, however, when Narco News published its story, Plumlee told Narco News the “bad guys” already knew the task-force members were in-country and, as a result, they had become targets. Coming forward in the media, Plumlee says, provided the task force with some cover that made it more difficult for bureaucrats in Washington, D.C., to avoid addressing the security breach — a tendency on the part of some who might wish to avoid the complications that come with accountability.

The stakes of the covert game are quite high, for all those on the ground who are touched by it, including innocent citizens – and are made even steeper when politics and special interests (including careerism) start dictating the shots, literally.

The whistleblower organization WikiLeaks recently released a State Department cable revealing that the Mexican Navy unit that conducted the operation against narco-capo Beltran Leyva “received extensive U.S. training” — which serves as further evidence supporting Narco News’ original reporting on the involvement of U.S. special forces in that operation.

The same cable, however, also points out that the killing of Beltran Leyva will, in the short-term (a period not defined precisely) result in a “spike” in narco-related violence “as inter- and intra-cartel battles are intensified by the sudden leadership gap in one of the country’s most powerful cartels.”
That ramped up violence was still playing out as recently as this past March, when the son of Mexican poet and journalist Javier Sicilia, along with six of his compadres, none of them involved in narco-trafficking, were brutally tortured and murdered near Cuernavaca (just outside Mexico City) – the same region where Beltran Leyva was killed. The senseless murder of those innocents has sparked a mass movement in Mexico, one that is currently marching toward Juarez, the most violent city on earth, where a collective, non-violent action in opposition to the drug war is planned for June 10.

The confirmation that U.S. special forces are now in the mix of the drug-war violence, which Mexican citizens by the millions now see as senseless and resulting in far too much collateral damage (the death and disappearances of thousands of innocent victims), is certain to enhance the public outrage in that land — given the quite visible U.S. role as the major consumer of the drugs and the major exporter of weapons and policies fueling the drug war.

Given this madness, and the inherent duplicity, treachery and buffoonery marking the drug war, it should come as no surprise to anyone, even if their sympathies are not with the U.S. special-forces in Mexico whose lives are jeopardized due to leaks and other security lapses, that the source of those transgressions (intentional or not) is, in part, traceable to the U.S. side of the border.

The briefing document revealing the extent of the 7th SFG operations in Latin America in fiscal 2009 – in 18 countries involving 21 missions and 165 soldiers, including Mexico — was made public by a Florida business group whose membership includes a number of defense contractors. That group, the Economic Development Council for Okaloosa County (EDC), via its Defense Support Initiative, made the May 14, 2009, briefing available on its Web site for all to see and download — including WikiLeaks and some media in Latin America who made it available in Spanish to their audiences (almost assuring that the narco-trafficking organizations being targeted by covert U.S. special forces also were tipped off to their presence in Mexico).

This occurred despite the fact that the briefing document was marked “For Official Use Only,” which, according to Ken McGraw, spokesman for the Pentagon’s U.S. Special Operations Command, means the document was “not to be released publicly.” McGraw adds that he does not “know the specifics” of the 7th SFG operation referred to in the briefing document, explaining that “by the end of the year, we [USSOCOM] will have operations in 120 countries.”

That briefing was prepared by the 7th SFG at the request of U.S. Rep. Jeff Miller, a far-right Republican with Tea Party leanings whose Florida district is about to become the new home for the 7th SFG (which is relocating from Ft. Bragg in North Carolina to Elgin Air Force Base in Florida’s panhandle).

Dan McFaul, chief of staff for Congressman Miller, stressed, when contacted by Narco News, that his boss did not attend the May 14, 2009, 7th SFG briefing.

“That was a non-classified briefing,” McFaul said. “The Congressman is on the [House] Intelligence Committee … and he is briefed at the classified level. … We request briefs on different issues affecting District 1 [Miller’s Congressional area] for chambers or economic development groups [and others], and so this [the 7th SFG briefing] could have been for something like that.”

Both the briefing document and a letter drafted by the EDC’s Defense Support Initiative chairman appear to indicate that was the case. McFaul said he had not received any other media inquiries about the restricted briefing document being made public prior to being contacted by Narco News.
Calls to the Okaloosa County EDC were not returned by press time.

However, someone as of Saturday, June 4, had removed the link on the EDC’s Web site that directs readers to the site where the briefing document can be downloaded. [See screen shot here of material removed]. The EDC Web-site download link for the document is still active, though, and can be accessed here — as well here should that EDC download link be deactivated in the future, with a screen shot here of the EDC download link as it exists as of the publish date of this story.

It is important to stress that there is no evidence that the Okaloosa County EDC, Congressman Miller or members of the 7th SFG intentionally included or made public information that might compromise the security of the U.S. special-forces operations in Mexico.

But it seems clear that somewhere along the line, some bad calls were made — beginning with the decision to include country and date-specific specific information about supposedly covert troop deployments in a non-classified briefing and to then put those briefing materials online, even though the document is marked “For Official Use Only.”

In fact, Narco News contacted the press office for the U.S. Army Special Operations Command, which oversees the 7th SFG, seeking comment on how the sensitive mission information ended up in a non-classified briefing, but was told no one was available to comment until next week, after Narco News’ deadline for this story.

Narco News also contacted USNORTHCOM, which has command control over DoD missions involving Mexico. Lt. Commander William Lewis, USNORTHCOM spokesman, said he would look into the matter and get back to Narco News after “finding out what can and cannot be released” about the matter.

Narco News will update the story if additional pertinent information is provided by USASOC, USNORTHCOM, or others.

Stay tuned…..
American Dream

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Yo. Never saw this. Want to consolidate it somehow with the other one I just started?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32268

We could ask fish to do it, if we're agreed. If so, flip you for thread title, or do you want to suggest one? It should be generic enough to keep floating up and suggesting itself as the logical place to post Drug War & especially Plan Mexico stuff. I'd like it to start with the UN report though, since that's effectively an elite, general and inarguable declaration of bankruptcy on a century of prohibition and drug war, so if you're all right with that, append this one to that even though it's earlier.

What say?

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby American Dream » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:37 pm

I am fine with consolidating these two threads and the title doesn't really matter.
American Dream

Postby barracuda » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Okay, I've merged the two threads. For the life of me, I've never been able to understand how the application selects which topic title it defaults to during the merge process, so apologies, but you get what you get.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby hanshan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:38 am

barracuda wrote:Okay, I've merged the two threads. For the life of me, I've never been able to understand how the application selects which topic title it defaults to during the merge process, so apologies, but you get what you get.

say what? - ummmm...what was the title?

hanshan

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion