Bob Dylan a false prophet, says Pope Ratzinger

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Bob Dylan a false prophet, says Pope Ratzinger

Postby Jeff » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:35 pm

"If you examine the songs I don't believe you're going to find anything in there that says that I'm a spokesman for anybody or anything."

Maybe not in his songs. But in his movies.

September 20, 2003
Masked and Anonymous
Bob Dylan's Elegy for a Lost America

By DAVID VEST

In spite of what you may have read, the film is not "set in some imaginary third-world country at some point in the future," anymore than King Lear is about prehistoric England. Failure to recognize the true setting should immediately disqualify any reviewer. "Masked and Anonymous" is a spot-on accurate portrayal of what is going on RIGHT NOW, seen through the eyes of someone with vision and not just eyesight, someone who has looked through the eyes not only of Charley Patton and Elizabeth Cotton but also of Emmett Miller and even Daniel Decatur Emmett.

All America's chicken-hawk foreign wars have come home to roost. The horrors once visited upon El Salvador, Nicaragua, Vietnam, Somalia and Iraq are now rolling through the streets of California. All the electoral disgrace of recent campaigns has been compressed into one presidential speech. As for the major media as portrayed in this film, it is impossible not to think of Christiane Amanpour's recent admission that CNN "was intimidated" by the Bush administration and operated in a "climate of fear and self-censorship" during the invasion of Iraq.

When the new president (Mickey Roarke) concludes his "war-is-peace" oration at the end of the film with the sarcastic words "May God help you all," it is merely what anyone with a perceptive imagination can hear Bush or Cheney saying when they conclude their speeches with the formulaic "God Bless America." Certainly the administration portrayed in "Masked and Anonymous" is no more thuggish than the one currently rooting at the trough in Washington.

Or, as Uncle Sweetheart (John Goodman) puts it, "It's the dark princes, the democratic republicans, working for a barbarian who can scarcely spell his own name."

http://www.counterpunch.org/vest09202003.html

Jeff
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (0)

“Be easy, baby. There ain’t nothin’ worth stealin’ in here”

Postby IanEye » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:54 pm

Never could learn to drink that blood - And call it wine
Never could learn to hold you, love - And call you mine
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby vanlose kid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:41 am

"Teach them to think. Work against the government." – Wittgenstein.
vanlose kid

Postby Jeff » Fri May 13, 2011 8:19 am

May 13 - To my fans and followers

Allow me to clarify a couple of things about this so-called China controversy which has been going on for over a year. First of all, we were never denied permission to play in China. This was all drummed up by a Chinese promoter who was trying to get me to come there after playing Japan and Korea. My guess is that the guy printed up tickets and made promises to certain groups without any agreements being made. We had no intention of playing China at that time, and when it didn't happen most likely the promoter had to save face by issuing statements that the Chinese Ministry had refused permission for me to play there to get himself off the hook. If anybody had bothered to check with the Chinese authorities, it would have been clear that the Chinese authorities were unaware of the whole thing.

We did go there this year under a different promoter. According to Mojo magazine the concerts were attended mostly by ex-pats and there were a lot of empty seats. Not true. If anybody wants to check with any of the concert-goers they will see that it was mostly Chinese young people that came. Very few ex-pats if any. The ex-pats were mostly in Hong Kong not Beijing. Out of 13,000 seats we sold about 12,000 of them, and the rest of the tickets were given away to orphanages. The Chinese press did tout me as a sixties icon, however, and posted my picture all over the place with Joan Baez, Che Guevara, Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg. The concert attendees probably wouldn't have known about any of those people. Regardless, they responded enthusiastically to the songs on my last 4 or 5 records. Ask anyone who was there. They were young and my feeling was that they wouldn't have known my early songs anyway.

As far as censorship goes, the Chinese government had asked for the names of the songs that I would be playing. There's no logical answer to that, so we sent them the set lists from the previous 3 months. If there were any songs, verses or lines censored, nobody ever told me about it and we played all the songs that we intended to play.

Everybody knows by now that there's a gazillion books on me either out or coming out in the near future. So I'm encouraging anybody who's ever met me, heard me or even seen me, to get in on the action and scribble their own book. You never know, somebody might have a great book in them.

http://www.bobdylan.com/news/my-fans-and-followers
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby vince » Fri May 13, 2011 9:11 am

I kinda like the name, 'Pope Ratzinger'!
I don't really recall the real last names of all the other popes, but his...... it;s just rolls off the tongue.
vince

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby leondespair » Fri May 27, 2011 11:59 pm

David Vest (quoted above) is a big fan of Jeff's.
leondespair

Postby The Consul » Sat May 28, 2011 12:26 am

Damnit, if the pope won't write a book about Dylan, I will!
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby justdrew » Sat May 28, 2011 2:06 am

Jeff wrote:
"If you examine the songs I don't believe you're going to find anything in there that says that I'm a spokesman for anybody or anything."

Maybe not in his songs. But in his movies.

yeah, I would agree that in masked and anonymous his character assumed an avatar like role.

and just because....

which required this...

and finally...

but it's that anonymity that makes the power what it is, he can't ever claim anything or it would all pop back into nothingness potential. like all human creation, he puts the obvious lie to the closed entropic universe concept, things are not merely running-down, more information is always available.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby vanlose kid » Tue May 31, 2011 1:40 pm

In some courts, Dylan rules
The lyrics of the protest era troubador are cited more often in judicial opinions than any other musician's, experts say.
May 09, 2011|Carol J. Williams

On summer nights in the mid-1960s, while black-and-white television crackled elsewhere in his Staten Island home with news of Southern violence and Vietnam, Bobby Lasnik would stretch out in his bedroom to let the righteous soundtrack of the civil rights movement waft into his impressionable teenage soul.

Tuned in to WBAI-FM, coming across the water from Manhattan, he heard baleful laments about injustice that he would carry with him for a lifetime.

"Suddenly there was someone speaking a certain kind of truth to you. You'd say, 'Wow! That's something I'm not used to hearing on the radio, something that moved me,' " Lasnik said of the first time he heard the lyrics of Bob Dylan. "I don't even remember which song it was, but I loved the imagery, the words you wouldn't think about putting together and the concepts that would emerge in your mind when you heard them."

Now the imagery flows in the other direction. U.S. District Judge Robert S. Lasnik -- Your Honor, not Bobby -- has been known to invoke the voice of the vagabond poet in rulings from the federal bench in Seattle. He has recited lines from "Chimes of Freedom" in a case weighing the legality of indefinite detention and "The Times They Are A-Changin'," the battle cry of the civil rights movement, in a landmark ruling that excluding contraceptives from an employer's prescription drug plan constitutes sex discrimination.

Lasnik isn't alone in weaving Dylan's protest era pathos into contemporary legal discourse.

No musician's lyrics are more often cited than Dylan's in court opinions and briefs, say legal experts who have chronicled the artist's influence on today's legal community. From U.S. Supreme Court rulings to law school courses, Dylan's words are used to convey messages about the law and courts gone astray.

His signature protest songs, "Blowin' in the Wind" and "The Times They Are a-Changin'," gave voice and vocabulary to the antiwar and civil rights marches. His most powerful ballads, "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" and "Hurricane," have become models for legal storytelling and using music to make a point.

Dylan's music and values have imprinted themselves on the justice system because his songs were the score playing during the formative years of the judges and lawyers now populating the nation's courthouses, colleges and blue-chip law firms, says Michael Perlin, a New York Law School professor who has used Dylan lyrics as titles for at least 50 published law journal articles.

Perlin and others lured to the law by the moral siren songs of the 1960s credit Dylan with roles in passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, federal sentencing guidelines that purport to ensure more equitable prison terms and due process reforms prohibiting racial profiling.

"Everyone wants to believe that the music they listen to says something about who they are," says Alex Long, a University of Texas law professor who has researched the penetration of political songwriting into the legal system.

"Being a judge is a pretty cloistered existence, having to crank out these opinions in isolation. Dylan was popular at the time they were coming of age and trying to figure out who they were," says Long, a 41-year-old exposed to Dylan's musings as a child at the foot of his parents' record player. "The chance to throw in a line from your favorite artist is tempting, a chance to let your freak flag fly."

During a semester in 2007, Long combed legal databases to identify lyrics in court filings and scholarly publications, finding Dylan cited 186 times, far outpacing the rest of the top 10: the Beatles, 74; Bruce Springsteen, 69; Paul Simon, 59; Woody Guthrie, 43; the Rolling Stones, 39; the Grateful Dead, 32; Simon & Garfunkel, 30; Joni Mitchell, 28; and R.E.M., 27.

And it doesn't end with musicians. In apparent efforts to add rhetorical flourish to their rulings, judges have also often cited famous writers and humorists. In a U.S. Court of Federal Claims ruling last year, Judge Francis M. Allegra lamented the perplexity of the 1982 Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act, writing that it "is the sort of law that brings to mind the old Mark Twain line: 'The more you explain it, the more I don't understand it.' "

But to date, it is the songs of the 1960s that seem to have the judges' ears.

One oft-cited line comes from Dylan's first top 10 hit, which half a dozen California appellate court rulings have included to convey that expert testimony is unnecessary to make a point obvious to any layman.

You don't need a weatherman

To know which way the wind blows.

-- "Subterranean Homesick Blues"

Georgetown Law School Professor Abbe Smith describes Dylan's "Hattie Carroll" as "an almost perfect ballad, a little bit of story and a little bit of lecture." It mocks the injustice of a six-month jail sentence given a wealthy Maryland socialite, William Zantziger, for the 1963 beating death of black barmaid Hattie Carroll for being too slow to bring his drink.

Devoted Dylan fans now teaching law have incorporated into their curricula that ballad and "Hurricane," the story of boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter's murder trial in Paterson, N.J., as models from which aspiring trial lawyers can hone their craft.

The traffic stop during which the Paterson police found shell casings linking Carter to a triple murder should have led to exclusion of the evidence because the police had no "reasonable suspicion" of a crime having been committed when they stopped him, said Allison Connelly, a University of Kentucky law professor and former public defender.

His trial is a textbook example for young attorneys on the value of digging for evidence and challenging the authorities' side of the story, Connelly said. She asks her students to draw on Dylan's lyrical account of the case to identify flaws in the prosecution's theory, find witnesses and set up parallel time lines to create an alibi for the defendant.

All of Rubin's cards were marked in advance

The trial was a pig-circus he never had a chance

-- "Hurricane"

The song tells a story of racist cops, a crooked judge and a biased jury that sent Carter to prison for two life sentences. A federal judge ultimately overturned Carter's conviction, saying the prosecution had been "based on an appeal to racism rather than reason."

Dylan's portrayal of the case as a frame-up may have influenced the enactment or enforcement of laws prohibiting traffic stops without cause and barring prosecutors from dismissing jurors because of their race, Connelly speculates.

In one of his first important cases after being named to the federal bench by President Clinton in 1998, Lasnik quoted Dylan's "Chimes of Freedom" to evoke the artist's sympathy for the downtrodden and mistreated. The case centered on a challenge by deportable undocumented immigrants who had been detained for years.

We ducked inside the doorway, thunder crashing

As majestic bells of bolts struck shadows in the sounds

Seeming to be the chimes of freedom flashing

Flashing for the warriors whose strength is not to fight

Flashing for the refugees on the unarmed road of flight

An' for each an' ev'ry underdog soldier in the night

An' we gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing.

-- "Chimes of Freedom"

But while judges like Lasnik, 60, pay homage to Dylan, the respect doesn't appear mutual, notes David Zornow, a partner at the New York office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom.

"This is a guy who doesn't have a lot good to say about judges," says Zornow, who in the voluminous archive of the artist's lyrics found only two references to judges that cast them as caring and professional. Most refer to corruption and caprice.

Like a suspect invoking his right to remain silent, Dylan declined through his spokesman Larry Jenkins to talk about his role as legal muse.

Dylan's lyrics are often identified with the left, but the two citations in U.S. Supreme Court rulings were made by conservatives. Chief Justice John Roberts Jr. ruled in 2008 that billing firms hired by pay-phone operators didn't have standing to sue because they had no claim on the money they collected, slightly misquoting Dylan with his comment: "When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose."

The lyrics:

When you ain't got nothing, you've got nothing to lose.

-- "Like a Rolling Stone"

Last year, Justice Antonin Scalia brought up Dylan when he scolded his high court colleagues for declining to rule yet on the evolving question of when employees have an expectation of privacy in using company email, arguing that " 'The times they are a-changin' ' is a feeble excuse for disregard of duty."

Lasnik, who has also quoted Paul Simon's line from "The Boxer" about willful ignorance -- "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" -- feigns distress at the justices' emulating of his habit of referencing Dylan.

"When Chief Justice Roberts quoted Dylan, I thought, 'Oh, no!' " said Lasnik. "Now it's not cool anymore."

carol.williams@latimes.com

For The Record
Los Angeles Times Thursday, May 12, 2011 Home Edition Main News Part A Page 4 News Desk 1 inches; 56 words Type of Material: Correction
Bob Dylan lyrics: In the May 9 Section A, an article about the use of singer-songwriter Bob Dylan's lyrics in legal opinions and briefs misstated the university affiliation of Alex Long, a professor who has researched political songwriting and the legal system. Long is a professor at the University of Tennessee, not the University of Texas

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/09 ... w-20110509

link to pdf below:

ALEX LONG: The Freewheelin’ Judiciary: A Bob Dylan Anthology. “This paper, presented as part of a symposium on Bob Dylan and the Law at the Fordham University School of Law, explores the ways in which judges have used the lyrics of Bob Dylan in their opinions.”

"Teach them to think. Work against the government." – Wittgenstein.
vanlose kid

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Tue May 31, 2011 2:29 pm

Dylan's deal with the "Chief Commander."

Ed Bradley: Why do you still do it, why are you still out here?

Bob Dylan: It goes back to that destiny thing. I made a bargain with it, you know, a long time ago, and I'm holding up my end.

Ed Bradley: What was your bargain?

Bob Dylan: To get where I am now.

Ed Bradley: Should I ask who you made the bargain with?

Bob Dylan: You know, with the Chief Commander.

Ed Bradley: On this earth?

Bob Dylan: In this earth and the world we can't see.

"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby MinM » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:55 am

This Date - 7/25/65 - In History

1965 - Bob Dylan appeared on stage at the Newport Folk Festival with an electric guitar. He was not well received, even with the classic folk song, Blowin’ in the Wind. The electrified “poet laureate of a generation” was booed and hissed by the audience for being amplified. He was, in fact, booed right off the stage.

http://www.440.com/twtd/today.html

Bob Dylan, 'History Detectives' dispute ownership of historic electric guitar

Published July 12, 2012

Associated Press

NEW YORK – Bob Dylan and historians at PBS are in a dispute over the whereabouts of an electric guitar that the singer plugged in at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965, quite possibly the most historic single instrument in rock `n' roll.

The New Jersey daughter of a pilot who flew Dylan to appearances in the 1960s says she has the guitar, which has spent much of the past 47 years in a family attic. But a lawyer for Dylan claims the singer still has the Fender Stratocaster with the sunburst design that he used during one of the most memorable performances of his career.

If the authentic "Dylan goes electric" guitar ever went on the open marketplace, experts say it could fetch as much as a half million dollars.

The guitar is the centerpiece of next Tuesday's season premiere of PBS' "History Detectives," and the show said late Wednesday it stood by its conclusion that Dawn Peterson, the pilot's daughter who works as a customer relations manager for an energy company, has the right instrument.

On July 25, 1965, that guitar was more an object of derision than desire.

With his acoustic songs of social protest, a young Bob Dylan was a hero to folk music fans in the early 1960s and the Newport festival was their Mecca. Bringing an electric guitar and band with him onstage to launch into "Maggie's Farm" was more than an artistic change, it was a provocative act. Most folk purists disdained rock `n' roll.

What happened next is a little foggy. Did an enraged Pete Seeger really try to cut Dylan's electric power? Was the crowd upset about the noise, or by Dylan leaving the stage after only three songs? Was it even upset at all? He later returned for a couple of acoustic songs.

Either way, Dylan never looked back.

Music has its share of memorable instruments, like Paul McCartney's Hofner bass or the Gibson guitars that B.B. King calls Lucille. Yet it's tough to think of any instrument that was the focus of an event more meaningful than the electric guitar Dylan played that day, said Howard Kramer, curatorial director of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame + Museum.

"This is not just kinda cool. This is way cool," said guitar expert Andy Babiuk. "We all love Bob Dylan, but this is really a pinnacle point not just in his career but for music in general. I don't think music in the 1960s would have been the same if Dylan had not gone electric."

Victor Quinto briefly flew music stars like Dylan, The Band and Peter, Paul & Mary around during the 1960s. Peterson, his daughter, said Dylan left the Fender behind on an airplane and Quinto took it home. She was told that her father contacted Dylan's representatives to get them to pick it up, but no one ever did. Quinto died at age 41, when his daughter was 8, and she treasures any remaining connection to her dad. The guitar was in her parents' attic until about 10 years ago when she took it.

Peterson had no idea about its history until a friend of her husband's saw it and mentioned the possible Newport connection. After unsuccessfully trying to verify it on her own, she turned to "History Detectives" about a year ago for help.

"When I heard it, I was like, `Yeah, right,"' said Elyse Luray, a former Christie's auction house appraiser and auctioneer who co-hosts the PBS show. But there were intriguing clues. Peterson's father left behind an address book that included a phone number for "Bob Dylan, Woodstock." Luray showed the guitar case to a former Dylan roadie who recognized the name of a little-known company that Dylan had formed at the time stenciled on its side.

A sheaf of papers with handwritten song lyrics was in the guitar case and PBS took them to an expert, Jeff Gold, who said the handwriting matched Dylan's. The fragmentary lyrics later appeared, in part, on songs that Dylan recorded but rejected for his 1966 "Blonde on Blonde" album.

Luray took the guitar to Babiuk, an appraiser of instruments who consults for the rock hall. He took the guitar apart to find a date written inside (1964) that made its use in Newport plausible. He drew upon blown-up color photos from Newport to compare the wood grain on the guitar Dylan played that day to the one in his hands. He's confident it's a match, likening the wood grain to a fingerprint.

Dylan's lawyer, Orin Snyder, said late Wednesday that the singer had the guitar.

"He did own several other Stratocaster guitars that were stolen from him around that time, as were some handwritten lyrics," Snyder said. "In addition, Bob recalls driving to the Newport Folk Festival, along with two of his friends, not flying."

In a response, "History Detectives" spokesman Eddie Ward said the show continues to believe Peterson has the guitar in question and would "welcome the opportunity" to examine the guitar that Dylan says is the one he played that day. Peterson said she stood by the "History Detectives" conclusion. Babiuk said he didn't want to get involved in a dispute, but said he was "99.9 percent certain" that he examined the guitar used at Newport.

Peterson said she had written to Dylan's lawyers in 2005 requesting that Dylan waive any claim to the guitar. Lawyers declined the request and said it should be returned but until this week, there had been no further contact.

Unlike some musicians who prize instrument collections, Dylan has generally looked upon them as tools to convey his art, much like a carpenter's hammer, Kramer said. "I don't think he's dwelled on a guitar he hasn't played for 47 years," he said. "If he cared about it, he would have done something about it."

That doesn't mean lawyers or managers wouldn't be aware of its value and fight for it, however.

Peterson told The Associated Press in an email that she had no plans to sell or donate the guitar to anyone.

"The guitar remains in a safe place," she wrote, "away from my home."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... n-dispute/

ImageHistory Magazine ‏@HISTORYmag

Today in 1965, Bob Dylan forsakes his acoustic guitar for an electric one at the Newport Folk Festival, changing rock & folk music forever.

6:29 AM - 25 Jul 12 via web

https://twitter.com/HISTORYmag/status/2 ... 2459663361

The electric guitar Bob Dylan played at the Newport Fold Festival is researched on a new episode of
"History Detectives" at 9 p.m. on KOCE.
( David Gahr / For The Times / July 16, 2012)

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetective ... an-guitar/
MinM

Postby MinM » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 am

Writer quits New Yorker over fabricated Bob Dylan quotes

By Agence France-Presse
Monday, July 30, 2012 20:30 EDT

NEW YORK — Jonah Lehrer, author of a best-selling book about the mind and creativity, resigned from The New Yorker magazine on Monday for being too creative with his non-fiction writing.

In a statement that startled New York’s publishing industry, Lehrer confessed to fabricating quotes he attributed to legendary singer-songwriter Bob Dylan in “Imagine: How Creativity Works.”

“The quotes in question either did not exist, were unintentional misquotations, or represented improper combinations of previously existing quotes,” the 31-year-old science writer said.

“The lies are over now. I understand the gravity of my position. I want to apologize to everyone I have let down, especially my editors and readers… I have resigned my position as staff writer at The New Yorker.”

Lehrer’s publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt reacted swiftly, saying it would halt shipping copies of “Imagine” to bookstores, stop offering the e-book version online, and otherwise explore “all options available to us.”

The boyish, bespectacled and prolific Lehrer, who studied neuroscience at Columbia University in New York, contributed to several big-name newspapers and magazines before landing his coveted slot at The New Yorker.

“Imagine” — inspired, Lehrer once said, by his inability to decide what flavor of Cheerios cereal to buy at the supermarket — debuted at number one on the New York Times non-fiction best-seller list when it came in April.

“This is a terrifically sad situation,” said New Yorker editor David Remnick, whose high-brow weekly magazine is famous for the supposedly meticulous fact-checking of its content.

“But, in the end, what is most important is the integrity of what we publish and what we stand for,” he said in a statement.

Lehrer’s fake Dylan quotes — which deal with the songwriting process — were first called into question by writer Michael Moynihan in the Jewish-oriented current affairs magazine Tablet.

Moynihan recalled that last month, Lehrer had committed “self-plagiarism” by lifting whole segments of “Imagine” and putting them onto The New Yorker’s website without telling readers where they came from.

“To some, it was a tenuous charge … like ‘being accused of stealing food from your own refrigerator’,” wrote Moynihan. “Others highlighted the pressures brought to bear on young writers to produce more and more content.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/30/w ... an-quotes/

search.php?keywords=jonah+lehrer&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

viewtopic.php?p=277817#p277817

http://technoccult.net/archives/2012/07 ... noccult%29
MinM

Postby km artlu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:33 pm

Library Angels have bestowed upon me a recent Dylan bio -- "Who is That Man?", by David Dalton.

Highly recommended.
km artlu

Previous

Return to General Discussion