Moon landings---a partial 'hoax'?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Moon landings---a partial 'hoax'?

Postby BenDhyan » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:29 pm

Dear Belligerent Savant, it is not just NASA, if the technological means to get man beyond LEO in good health does not exist, then which other space agencies in the world support and affirm that view? If you believe that Russian, Franch, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, etc. space agencies believe it is impossible for man to go beyond LEO, please provide the evidence of the respective official space agencies making such claims?
Ben D
BenDhyan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:25 pm

Ben - I believe what you're asking is if any entity (Nation or Private Enterprise) ever publicly stated that it was "impossible" for man to surpass LEO, do I have that right?

The point of the comments in the prior page isn't about claims made by any of these entities, it's the FACT that -- as already indicated -- NONE of these entities have traversed LEO since (supposedly) 1972, which (supposedly) was the last time NASA traveled past LEO en route to the Moon and back (supposedly).

All that aside, in the below comments from 2022, I include a few screenshots from a documentary that showcase NASA's claims that getting humans past the Van Allen belts are currently an insurmountable challenge, an interesting claim for an agency that (supposedly) already solved this issue back in the late 60s.... ah, but they LOST ALL THAT CRITICAL DATA that would have RESOLVED all these challenges, reportedly.

Huh.

Tragic. (but also: convenient for current narratives)

Belligerent Savant » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:39 pm wrote:.

Starting at the ~1 hour mark of the previously linked video, the Van Allen belts are raised:

The documentary includes snippets of a video segment direct from NASA. Sample screenshots; the words on the screen are added by the documentary filmmakers, quoting the NASA rep in the video clip:

It appears, according to NASA, at least as of a few years ago, this Van Allen issue remains unresolved. And it also appears that it's more of a concern to NASA than a mere chest x-ray.

Of course, there are many, many other serious issues with the official narratives of the Apollo missions beyond the Van Allen belts. The documentary covers most of them quite well, and also addresses the counters from 'debunkers'.

But narratives can be quite alluring, especially when embedded in the mind at an early age. As we've observed, particularly over the last ~couple years, a significant percentage of individuals will refuse to revisit or reconsider storylines once firmly entrenched in the mind.

The pitfalls of the human mind (and its susceptibility to programming), eh?

Bonus screenshot from the above YouTube-linked documentary, this time specifically referencing LEO. This is a NASA rep quote, so it may well satisfy Ben's query in his last post above:

(Timestamp included in the screenshot for those that are interested in listening to the audio)

NASA rep: "Right now we only can fly in Earth orbit"
Belligerent Savant

Postby BenDhyan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:34 am

https://science.thewire.in/the-sciences/apollo-11-van-allen-radiation-belts-translunar-injection/

Would you agree that James Van Allen knows the relevant science better than most?
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby DrEvil » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:17 am

NASA rep: "Right now we only can fly in Earth orbit"

You keep being mystified by things that have simple and obvious answers. And you still don't seem to grasp that unless you're sending people to the Moon or Mars there's absolutely no reason to send anyone beyond low Earth orbit. There's nothing there. Anything you want to find out you can do cheaper with a satellite or a probe without risking people, and they just did last year when they sent the SLS (mystery solved! The SLS wasn't built when the above quote was spoken) on a round trip to the Moon.

Also, if that's the same documentary you tried to get me to watch a while back then it's garbage. It took me less than an hour to come across several examples of the director blatantly misrepresenting what was being said, distorting things beyond recognition, or just being stupid. Apart from some interesting historical footage it's trash.

The pitfalls of the human mind (and its susceptibility to programming), eh?

Are you at all capable of disagreeing with someone without also claiming or insinuating they've been brainwashed, programmed, are sheep or good little soldiers? It's getting a little old. I get it, it makes you feel better about yourself and helps reinforce your self-image of being "in the know", unlike all us plebs following "the narrative", but fucking Hell man.

@Stickdog:

Again, "the only conceivable reason nobody has done it for 50 years is because nobody wanted to" is not actually the debate ending rejoinder that you appear to believe is.

Plenty of people wanted to. Congress was more interested in lining pockets, and they decide what NASA gets to do. Plus Star Wars, Shuttle, ISS, etc. All stupidly expensive and with far superior perceived benefits.

You still haven't supplied a good answer as to why they would keep sending people. How many times can you land people for a few days to poke at rocks and collect samples before the cost outweighs the benefits? Seriously, what exactly were they supposed to be doing there?
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Belligerent Savant » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:16 pm

They have been actively promoting going to the Moon AND mars for YEARS. There has been SIGNIFICANT investment in marketing, advertising, budget allocation, AND ROCKET DEPLOYMENTS (As well as personnel & equipment into LEO for further testing, etc) at least in part to 'plan', 'prepare' and STRIVE towards traveling to the Moon and/or Mars within our lifetimes. Actually, scratch that: NASA aims to get us on or around the Moon by 2025:

https://www.nasa.gov/news-release/nasa- ... for%202028.

NASA will now target September 2025 for Artemis II, the first crewed Artemis mission around the Moon, and September 2026 for Artemis III, which is planned to land the first astronauts near the lunar South Pole. Artemis IV, the first mission to the Gateway lunar space station, remains on track for 2028.

Right around the corner.

(though, needless to say, there have been myriad delays and postponements over the years... I have a hunch NASA won't make that 2025 target. We'll find out, right?)

How you can indicate there's no reason to at least test the boundaries beyond LEO -- with HUMANS OR SENTIENT/BREATHING BEINGS ONBOARD -- is the part that's mystifying, given all the investment/interest in traversing space beyond LEO. At some point, it will need to happen, if indeed these proclamations of a 'return' to the Moon or visit to Mars are actually serious.

You're proposition, apparently, is for NASA/SpaceX et al. to simply forgo any human/animal testing beyond LEO and just proceed to traverse this LEO barrier at the time of the actual trip to the Moon, do I have that right? If so, you're quite bold and daring, I must say.

All of this is moot, of course, if 'return travel to the moon' is all predicated on a Lie (or a series of lies over time).

Part of the reason your replies are 'mystifying' is because all of your retorts never even HINT at the POSSIBILITY that things are not as presented to the masses.

I've made it clear here many times already that I'm not indicating anything 'definitively', but that with each passing year -- and frankly, simply assessing the available information/data points available to us at the present time -- it is increasingly probable that egregious LIES have been told.

Which, of course, would be far from the first time a govt agency or form of authority has lied egregiously to the public for whatever aims, near or long-term.

You do not even entertain this notion that events related to space travel may not be as presented to us (this applies to most if not all of your views presented here: LARGELY in ALIGNMENT with status quo/govt/large bureaucratic entity official positions. This is not to say all of these positions are wrong simply because they are promoted by these entities. To the contrary, if they are wrong or misleading -- in part or otherwise -- it is due to the results of sober assessment of available information).

As mentioned a number of pages ago:

guruilla » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:08 am wrote:Conspicuous silence to this:

Belligerent Savant wrote:

I welcome any commentary after viewing this video in its entirety, as time allows:

https://youtu.be/KpuKu3F0BvY

Kubrick: "Any fool can see I didn't fake the moon landing!"

"Why's that, Stanley?"

"Because it looks too god-damn fake, that's why!"

IMHO, the mystery isn't how "they" could perpetuate such a hoax; the mystery is how it took so long for people to notice, or how anyone can still deny it.

I was only two, so that's my excuse.
Belligerent Savant

Postby DrEvil » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:49 pm

How you can indicate there's no reason to at least test the boundaries beyond LEO -- with HUMANS OR SENTIENT/BREATHING BEINGS ONBOARD -- is the part that's mystifying, given all the investment/interest in traversing space beyond LEO. At some point, it will need to happen, if indeed these proclamations of a 'return' to the Moon or visit to Mars are actually serious.

You're proposition, apparently, is for NASA/SpaceX et al. to simply forgo any human/animal testing beyond LEO and just proceed to traverse this LEO barrier at the time of the actual trip to the Moon, do I have that right? If so, you're quite bold and daring, I must say.

Yes, because it's the obviously sensible thing to do. We know what the issue is: radiation exposure, and that can be measured and tested with sensors (and was just recently with the first SLS launch). You don't use people or animals as test subjects when there's no reason to, because that's just stupid. They can figure out the effects just fine without. The only time they have to do it is if/when they send people to the Moon.
DrEvil

Postby stickdog99 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:51 pm

Plenty of people wanted to. Congress was more interested in lining pockets, and they decide what NASA gets to do. Plus Star Wars, Shuttle, ISS, etc. All stupidly expensive and with far superior perceived benefits.

You still haven't supplied a good answer as to why they would keep sending people. How many times can you land people for a few days to poke at rocks and collect samples before the cost outweighs the benefits? Seriously, what exactly were they supposed to be doing there?

But it's not just the US Congress. It's every other space agency on Earth. And it's every Tony Stark billionaire "adventurer" on Earth.

The Moon has been sitting there just 30 Earth diameters away from Earth for 50 years. Yet we are supposed to believe that nobody even attempted to land anything there from 1976 (last supposedly successful USSR Luna mission) to 2013 (first supposedly successful Chinese mission). That's 37 years!

Further, we have been asked to believe that from March 1966 until December 1972, the 6 of the USA's 7 unmanned Surveyor landers and 7 of the USA's manned Apollo missions went off without a hitch, even though the nobody from the USA has been able to successfully land anything on the Moon since and even though it is now 10 years after China's successful Chang'e 3 mission reignited the space race.

All supposed Moon lander missions --

Lander Missions

1/1962 Ranger 3 FAILED
4/1962 Ranger 4 FAILED
1/1962 Ranger 5 FAILED
1/1963 Luna E-6 #2 FAILED at launch
2/1963 Luna E-6 #3 FAILED at launch
4/1963 Luna 4 #3 FAILED
1/1964 Ranger 6 FAILED
3/1964 Luna E-6 #6 FAILED at launch
4/1964 Luna E-6 #7 FAILED at launch
3/1965 Kosmos 60 FAILED at launch
4/1965 Luna E-6 #8 FAILED
5/1965 Luna E-6 #10 FAILED
6/1965 Luna E-6 #7 FAILED
10/1965 Luna E-6 #11 FAILED
12/1965 Luna E-6 #12 FAILED

1/1966 Luna E-6 #13 Successful
5/1966 Surveyor 1 Successful

9/1966 Surveyor 2 FAILED
12/1966 Luna 13 Successful
4/1967 Surveyor 3 Successful
7/1967 Surveyor 4 Successful
9/1967 Surveyor 5 Successful
11/1967 Surveyor 6 Successful
1/1968 Surveyor 7 Successful
12/1968 Apollo 8 (Manned Orbiter) Successful

2/1969 Luna E-8 FAILED at launch
6/1969 Luna E-8-5 FAILED at launch
7/1969 Luna 15 FAILED
7/1969 Apollo 11 (Manned Lander) Successful
9/1969 Kosmos 300 FAILED at launch
10/1969 Kosmos 305 FAILED at launch
11/1969 Apollo 12 (Manned Lander) Successful
2/1970 Luna E-8-5 #405 FAILED at launch
4/1970 Apollo 13 Failed landing
9/1970 Luna 16 Successful
10/1970 Luna 17 Successful

1/1971 Apollo 14 (Manned Lander) Successful
7/1971 Apollo 15 (Manned Lander) Successful

9/1971 Luna 18 FAILED
2/1972 Luna 20 Successful
4/1972 Apollo 16 (Manned Lander) Successful
12/1972 Apollo 17 (Manned Lander) Successful
8/1973 Luna 21 Successful

10/1975 Luna 23 tipped over on landing
10/1975 Luna E-8-5M No.412 FAILED
8/1976 Luna 24 Successful

No even attempted landing missions until 2013 (37 years later!)

12/2013 Chang'e 3 (China) Successful
12/2018 Chang'e 4 (China) Successful

2/2019 Beresheet First Israeli and first privately funded lunar lander mission CRASHED
11/2020 Chang'e 5 (China) Successful
11/2022 OMOTENASHI (Japan) FAILED
12/2022 Hakuto-R Mission 1 (Japan) FAILED
7/2023 Chandrayaan-3 (India) Successful
8/2023 Luna 25 (Russia) FAILED
9/2023 SLIM (Japan) Successful
1/2024 Peregrine Mission One (USA) FAILED
2/2024 IM-1 (USA) supposed launched today, and aiming for a 2/22 arrival

You have to admit that this is bit strange technological timeline. While it is not impossible to write off, it is quite reasonable to wonder whether all of the supposedly successful landing missions on the 1960s and 1970s occurred exactly as reported.

The part that I find strangest is all of the supposed technical hurdles that Artemis is supposed still facing.

From 2007

When Neil Armstrong took “one giant leap for mankind” onto the surface of the moon in 1969, his booted foot sank into a layer of fine gray dust, leaving an imprint that would become the subject of one of the most famous photographs in history. Scientists called the dust lunar regolith, from the Greek rhegos for “blanket” and lithos for“stone.” Back then scientists regarded the regolith as simply part of the landscape, little more than the backdrop for the planting of the American flag.

No more. Lunar scientists have learned a lot about the moon since then. They’ve found that one of the biggest challenges to lunar settlement—as vexing as new rocketry or radiation—is how to live with regolith that covers virtually the entire lunar surface from a depth of7 feet to perhaps 100 feet or more. It includes everything from huge boulders to particles only a few nanometers in diameter, but most of it is a puree created by uncountable high-speed micrometeorites that have been crashing into the moon unimpeded by atmosphere for more than 3billion years. A handful of regolith consists of bits of stone,minerals, particles of glass created by the heat from the tiny impacts,and accretions of glass, minerals, and stone welded together.

Eons of melting, cooling, and agglomerating have transformed the glass particles in the regolith into a jagged-edged, abrasive powder that clings to anything it touches and packs together so densely that it becomes extremely hard to work on at any depth below four inches.

For those who would explore the moon—whether to train for exploring Mars, to mine resources, or to install high-precision observatories—regolith is a potentially crippling liability, an all-pervasive, pernicious threat to machinery and human tissue. After just three days of moonwalks, regolith threatened to grind the joints of the Apollo astronauts’ space suits to a halt, the same way rust crippled Dorothy’s Tin Man. Special sample cases built to hold the Apollo moon rocks lost their vacuum seals because of rims corrupted by dust. For a permanent lunar base, such mechanical failures could spell disaster.

Regolith can play havoc with hydraulics, freeze on-off switches, and turn ball bearings into Grape Nuts. When moon dust is disturbed, small particles float about, land, and glue themselves to everything.Regolith does not brush off easily, and breathing it can cause pulmonary fibrosis, the lunar equivalent of black lung. There is nothing like it on Earth. “Here you have geological processes that tend to sort and separate,” says geologist Douglas Rickman of NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center. “On the moon you have meteorite impacts that mix everything together.”

NASA’s current plans call for a series of “precursor” robotic lunar missions to test technologies and gather information. These will begin next year, long before NASA’s new Orion spaceship is ready to loft its four-astronaut crew moonward. By the time that happens, perhaps around 2018, planners hope to have resolved some key unknowns: whether there are ice deposits at one of the lunar poles, whether a space suit can be made that can survive multiple journeys across the dust-­ridden landscape, and whether the human body can survive dust, lengthy stays in reduced gravity, and prolonged exposure to cosmic radiation.

The first trips will be Apollo-like sorties, brief visits to test techniques and equipment and to begin building the outpost. Eventually the base will include living quarters, a launchpad, a storage facility for fuel and supplies, and a power plant. By 2024, NASA experts expect to have enough infrastructure to support a permanent human presence with four astronauts rotating every six months, the same length of a stay as on the International Space Station.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/moondust-radi ... n-the-moon

They were called the “dusty dozen” for good reason. The 12 Apollo astronauts who walked on the lunar surface between 1969 and 1972 kicked up so much moondust that the powdery sediment got lodged in every nook and cranny of their space suits. Caked in the stuff, the astronauts inadvertently tracked the toxic dust into their spacecraft and even back down to Earth upon landing.

These NASA astronauts complained of a “lunar hay fever” that irritated their eyes, lungs, and nostrils. A doctor who helped the Apollo 11 crew members emerge from their dust-scattered space module following its ocean splashdown experienced allergic reactions of his own. “Dust is probably one of our greatest inhibitors to a nominal operation on the moon,” Apollo 17 astronaut Gene Cernan, the last man to walk on the moon, said during a postflight debriefing. “I think we can overcome other physiological or physical or mechanical problems, except dust.”

Billowing clouds of dust particles—jagged and abrasive for want of weathering and atmospheric reactions—are hardly the only health hazards posed by a lunar mission, though. Galactic cosmic rays would bombard lunar inhabitants with a steady stream of high-energy radiation. The level of gravity on the moon—about 17 percent that of Earth’s—could wreak havoc on bones, muscles, and other organs. And then there are the psychological aspects of what one NASA astronaut described as the “vast loneliness” of the moon.

As humanity prepares to return to the moon and eventually colonize it, scientists are now actively probing these risks and beginning to devise medical countermeasures. Yet solid evidence on the health consequences of lunar living is extremely limited. “Except for the Apollo experience, we really have no data,” says Laurence Young, a space medicine scientist in MIT’s department of aeronautics and astronautics—and those Apollo missions were never designed with biomedical research goals in mind.

In contrast, the International Space Station (ISS) was established as a giant floating laboratory from the get-go, and nearly two decades of experiments from the continuously inhabited station do offer some clues about what it might be like for people to live on the moon for extended durations. But a zero-gravity space station orbiting within the protective halo of the Earth’s magnetic field is hardly analogous to the moon’s surface, with its partial gravity and harsher radiation.

Researchers therefore have to settle for approximations of lunar conditions. They study proxy dust instead of the real thing, because moondust collected by Apollo astronauts remains scarce. (And even those precious Apollo samples became less reactive after coming into contact with the Earth’s moist, oxygen-rich air.) The researchers simulate galactic radiation by using particle accelerators to create the kinds of energetic heavy ions found in deep space. And they have a variety of tricks to fudge one-sixth gravity: They take parabolic flights that induce short bursts of moonlike conditions; use harnesses and other body-weight support systems to mimic the biomechanics expected in reduced gravity environments; and place subjects in tilted beds for weeks on end to model the effects of lunar gravity on heart function.

The imitations are never perfect, but they are informative. Last year, an interdisciplinary team from Stony Brook University, in New York, exposed human lung cells and mouse brain cells to dust samples that resemble the regolith found in the lunar highlands and on the moon’s volcanic plains. Compared with less-reactive particulate materials, the toxic dust caused more genetic mutations and cell death, raising the specter of moondust triggering neurodegeneration and cancer in future lunar explorers. “The DNA is being damaged, so there is a risk of those types of things happening,” says Rachel Caston, a molecular biologist who led the research. (She’s now at Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis.)

But will the same damage happen inside the human body? And if so, would ensuring the safety of future moon settlers require the equivalent of a mudroom, an expensive and logistically challenging piece of equipment to haul over to our celestial neighbor? And just how clean would that mudroom have to be to keep astronauts safe?

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2024/02 ... nd-lander/

“We’re glad to get to this point, it’s been a while getting here,” said NASA’s CLPS program manager Chris Culbert. “We’ve got our fingers crossed. We hope that they’re successful, but we know it’s very, very hard to land on the moon.”

It’s the second of what is still scheduled to be five CLPS launches in 2024. The first in January saw Pittsburgh-based Astrobotic Technology’s Peregrine lander launched on the first ever flight of United Launch Alliance’s Vulcan Centaur. While it made it to space and flew nearly half a million miles, a propellant leak took any chance of a soft moon landing off the board and the company eventually steered it back to Earth to burn up on reentry.

Efforts by Russia and a private Japanese company ispace also both met with failure in 2023.

“Understanding how when you land, you’re blasting the surface with a rocket engine, right? So understanding where that dust goes and what it does is important,” Culbert said pointing out that nobody knows, for instance, just how close you might be able to have human habitation nearby. “Are you sandblasting them? … Those are important pieces of things to know about future missions.”

Why landing on the moon is proving more difficult today than 50 years ago

It is more than half a century since Nasa landed astronauts on the moon and brought them all home safely. Shouldn’t landing on the lunar surface today be, if not quite trivial, then at least straightforward? Hasn’t the rocket science of the mid-20th century become the basic knowledge of the 21st?

Peregrine isn’t the only recent failure. While China and India have both placed robotic landers on the moon, Russia’s Luna 25 crash-landed last year, nearly 60 years after the Soviet Union’s Luna 9 nailed the first gentle touchdown. Landers built by private companies have a 100% failure record on the moon: the Israeli Beresheet lander crashed in 2019, while a Japanese lander built by ispace crashed last year. Peregrine makes it three out of three losses.

https://apnews.com/article/nasa-moon-la ... ec2e00f090

Astronauts will have to wait until next year before flying to the moon and at least two years before landing on it, under the latest round of delays announced by NASA on Tuesday.

The space agency had planned to send four astronauts around the moon late this year, but pushed the flight to September 2025. The first human moon landing in more than 50 years also got bumped, from 2025 to September 2026. NASA cited safety concerns with its own spacecraft, as well as development issues with the moonsuits and landers coming from private industry.

“Safety is our top priority,” said NASA Administrator Bill Nelson. The delays will “give Artemis teams more time to work through the challenges.” ...

The Government Accountability Office warned in November that NASA was likely looking at 2027 for its first astronaut moon landing, citing Elon Musk’s Starship as one of the many technical challenges. Another potential hurdle: the development of moonwalking suits by Houston’s Axiom Space.

“We need them all to be ready and all to be successful in order for that very complicated mission to come together,” said Amit Kshatriya, NASA’s deputy associate administrator. He added that even with the delay, a 2026 moon landing represents “a very aggressive schedule.”

NASA has only one Artemis moonshot under its belt so far. In a test flight of its new moon rocket in 2022, the space agency sent an empty Orion capsule into lunar orbit and returned it to Earth. To engineers’ surprise, some charred material came off the capsule’s heat shield during reentry. Later, testing of another capsule uncovered a design flaw in the life-support electronics, and separate battery issues popped up.

https://www.space.com/nasa-moon-landing ... cerns.html

Over the past 20 years, researchers have developed a consistent picture of the physics of rocket exhaust blowing lunar soil, "but significant gaps exist," Metzger said. "No currently available modeling method can fully predict the effects. However, the basics are understood well enough to begin designing countermeasures."

Metzger and other team members at UCF's Center for Lunar and Asteroid Surface Science (CLASS) say landing pads are needed for missions that repeatedly visit a lunar outpost.

For lunar landings, CLASS research has shown that the sandblasting that will occur at a lunar outpost is unacceptable, as it will excessively degrade optics, solar cells, thermal control surfaces and moving joints on mechanisms. Impacts of blowing rocks could also break hardware.

Florida Space Institute rsearchers are investigating methods to mitigate the effects of these blasts, such as sintering lunar regolith. They're also looking at robotics for bulldozing and building berms, as well as considering the use of gravel or pavers. And they're organizing a series of robotics competitions for landing pad construction technologies in conjunction with machine learning firms to further advance the necessary robotics capabilities.

"NASA takes the potential ejecta issues associated with rocket engine plume surface interaction very seriously," said Robert Mueller, senior technologist and principal investigator in the Exploration Systems and Development Office at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

One fundamental challenge, says Jan Wörner, a former director general of the European Space Agency (Esa), is weight. “You are always close to failure because you have to be light or the spacecraft will not fly. You cannot have a big safety margin.”

Added to that, almost every spacecraft is a prototype. Apart from rare cases, such as the Galileo communications satellites, spacecraft are bespoke machines. They are not mass produced with the same tried and tested systems and designs. And once they are deployed in space, they are on their own. “If you have trouble with your car, you can have it repaired, but in space there’s no opportunity,” says Wörner. “Space is a different dimension.”

The moon itself presents its own problems. There is gravity – one-sixth as strong as on Earth – but no atmosphere. Unlike Mars, where spacecraft can fly to their destination and brake with parachutes, moon landings depend entirely on engines. If you have a single engine, as smaller probes tend to, it must be steerable, because there is no other way to control the descent.

To complicate matters, the engine must have a throttle, allowing the thrust to be dialled up and down. “Usually you ignite them and they provide a steady state thrust,” says Nico Dettmann, Esa’s lunar exploration group leader. “To change the thrust during operations adds a lot more complexity.”

And yet, with the first lunar landings back in the 60s, it can be hard to grasp why the moon remains such a tough destination.
Moon mission records provide a clue: soon after the Apollo programme, lunar landers fell out of favour. When China’s Chang’e 3 spacecraft touched down in 2013, it chalked up the first soft landing on the moon since the Soviet’s Luna 24 in 1976.

“There were decades when people were not developing landers,” says Dettmann. “The technology is not that common that you can easily learn from others.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/us-spac ... -1.7115921

U.S. aims to end 52-year moon absence

The launch came a month after the lunar lander of another private firm, Pittsburgh's Astrobotic Technology, suffered a propulsion system leak on its way to the moon shortly after being placed in orbit on Jan. 8 by a United Launch Alliance (ULA) Vulcan rocket making its debut flight.

The failure of Astrobotic's Peregrine lander, which was also flying NASA payloads to the moon, marked the third time a private company had been unable to achieve a "soft landing" on the lunar surface, following ill-fated efforts by companies from Israel and Japan.

If successful, the flight would represent the first controlled descent to the lunar surface by a U.S. spacecraft since the final Apollo crewed moon mission in 1972, and the first by a private company.

The feat also would mark the first journey to the lunar surface under NASA's Artemis moon program, as the U.S. races to return astronauts to Earth's natural satellite before China lands its own crewed spacecraft there.

NASA announced last month that it was delaying its target date for a first crewed Artemis moon landing from 2025 to late 2026, while China has said it was aiming for 2030.

Small landers such as Nova-C are expected to get there first, carrying instruments to closely survey the lunar landscape, its resources and potential hazards. Odysseus will focus on space weather interactions with the moon's surface, radio astronomy, precision landing technologies and navigation.

https://www.nasa.gov/news-release/nasa- ... ust-cloud/

To establish a long-term human presence on and around the Moon for the benefit of humanity, NASA must address the challenges lunar dust presents to these complex missions. This is where the Artemis Generation of problem solvers may be able to help.

For the challenge, NASA is asking undergraduate and graduate students from accredited colleges and universities in the United States to help tackle the challenges of plumes and lunar dust by seeking innovative, systems-level solutions to minimize and manage the impacts on future lunar exploration systems. Potential solutions might include development of dust shields, creating flight instrumentation dedicated to managing plume surface interactions, finding ways to see through the dust cloud during landing, or tracking dust during ascent and descent.

We Still Don't Know How to Deal With Moon Dust

If we’re going back to the moon, we’re going to need to learn how to deal with the dust.
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:52 pm

Russia’s former space chief doubts US landing on Moon

'It was not clear to me how US, at that level of technological development in 1960s, did what they still cannot do now,' says Dmitry Rogozin

A former chief of Russian space agency Roscosmos has voiced doubt over the authenticity of the 1969 Apollo 11 Moon landing.

“About 10 years ago, when I worked in the government, I sent an official request to Roscosmos to provide me with documentary evidence of the Americans' stay on the moon,” Dmitry Rogozin said in a statement on Telegram on Sunday.

Rogozin said that he was “embarrassed” about the return of Soviet cosmonauts from space expeditions barely able to stand on their feet and undergoing long recoveries, while US astronauts crawled out of their lunar ships, in his words, “like cucumbers from the garden.”

Rogozin further said that he continued to search for evidence on the US landings on the Moon while working at Roscosmos, but said he could not find anything other than the “angry accusations” of some academics who claimed that he undermined Russia’s “sacred cooperation with NASA.”

Rogozin also said he received a call from a high-ranking official accusing him of "aggravating the international situation" with his doubts about the Apollo 11 landing.

“I did not undermine or aggravate anything, but only by virtue of my nature I tried to get to the bottom of the details and establish, at least for myself, the true state of affairs in the issue of exploration of the Moon by our competitors. It was not clear to me how the United States, at that level of technological development of the ‘60s in the last century, did what they still cannot do now,” Rogozin said.
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:55 pm

https://spectrum.ieee.org/lunar-landing

It never gets any easier to watch: a control room full of engineers, waiting anxiously as the robotic probe they’ve worked on for years nears the surface of the moon. Telemetry from the spacecraft says everything is working; landing is moments away. But then the vehicle goes silent, and the control room does too, until, after an agonizing wait, the project leader keys a microphone to say the landing appears to have failed.

The last time this happened was in April, in this case to a privately funded Japanese mission called Hakuto-R. It was in many ways similar to crashes by Israel’s Beresheet and India’s Chandrayaan-2 in 2019. All three landers seemed fine until final approach. Since the 1970s, only China has successfully put any uncrewed ships on the moon (most recently in 2020); Russia’s last landing was in 1976, and the United States hasn’t tried since 1972. Why, half a century after the technological triumph of Apollo, have the odds of a safe lunar landing actually gone down?

The question has some urgency because five more landing attempts, by companies or government agencies from four different countries, could well be made before the end of 2023; the next, Chandrayaan-3 from India, lifted off on 14 July. NASA’s administrator, Bill Nelson, has called this a “golden age” of spaceflight, culminating in the landing of Artemis astronauts on the moon late in 2025. But every setback is watched uneasily by others in the space community.

Surveyor’s principal way of determining its distance from landing was radar, a mature but sometimes imprecise technology. Swati Mohan, the guidance and navigation lead for NASA’s Perseverance rover landing on Mars in 2021, likened radar to “closing your eyes and holding your hands out in front of you.” So Astrobotic, for instance, has turned to Doppler lidar—laser ranging—which has about 10 times better resolution. It also uses terrain-relative navigation, or TRN, a visually based system that takes rapid-fire images of the approaching ground and compares them to an onboard database of terrain images. Some TRN imagery comes from the same Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter that spotted Hakuto-R.
stickdog99

Postby BenDhyan » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:01 pm

NASA names firms to develop rover for first crewed Moon mission since 1972

US space agency picks Intuitive Machines, Lunar Outpost and Venturi Astrolab to create designs for lunar rover. NASA has awarded contracts to three companies to develop vehicles for the first crewed missions to the Moon in more than five decades. Intuitive Machines, Lunar Outpost and Venturi Astrolab – based in Texas, Colorado and California, respectively – were chosen to create designs for the lunar rover under a contract worth up to $4.6bn, NASA said on Wednesday.

NASA plans to pick one of the companies to carry out a test run for their Lunar Terrain Vehicle before the arrival of the crew for the Artemis 5 mission scheduled for 2029.

“This vehicle will greatly increase our astronauts’ ability to explore and conduct science on the lunar surface while also serving as a science platform between crewed missions.”

Jacob Bleacher, chief exploration scientist at NASA’s Exploration Systems Development Mission Directorate, said the rover would allow astronauts to “travel to locations we might not otherwise be able to reach on foot, increasing our ability to explore and make new scientific discoveries.”

“With the Artemis crewed missions, and during remote operations when there is not a crew on the surface, we are enabling science and discovery on the Moon year around,” he said.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/4/4/nasa-names-firms-to-develop-rover-for-first-crewed-moon-mission-since-1972?traffic_source=rss

2029, just another 5 years and the skeptics will disappear.
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby DrEvil » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:35 pm

stickdog99 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:52 am wrote:Russia’s former space chief doubts US landing on Moon

'It was not clear to me how US, at that level of technological development in 1960s, did what they still cannot do now,' says Dmitry Rogozin

A former chief of Russian space agency Roscosmos has voiced doubt over the authenticity of the 1969 Apollo 11 Moon landing.

“About 10 years ago, when I worked in the government, I sent an official request to Roscosmos to provide me with documentary evidence of the Americans' stay on the moon,” Dmitry Rogozin said in a statement on Telegram on Sunday.

Rogozin said that he was “embarrassed” about the return of Soviet cosmonauts from space expeditions barely able to stand on their feet and undergoing long recoveries, while US astronauts crawled out of their lunar ships, in his words, “like cucumbers from the garden.”

Rogozin further said that he continued to search for evidence on the US landings on the Moon while working at Roscosmos, but said he could not find anything other than the “angry accusations” of some academics who claimed that he undermined Russia’s “sacred cooperation with NASA.”

Rogozin also said he received a call from a high-ranking official accusing him of "aggravating the international situation" with his doubts about the Apollo 11 landing.

“I did not undermine or aggravate anything, but only by virtue of my nature I tried to get to the bottom of the details and establish, at least for myself, the true state of affairs in the issue of exploration of the Moon by our competitors. It was not clear to me how the United States, at that level of technological development of the ‘60s in the last century, did what they still cannot do now,” Rogozin said.

He was just sore (literally) because Ukraine blew his balls off (supposedly. "Shrapnel injuries"). He spent most of his time at Rocosmos sniping at the US space program (trampoline lol!), while his own agency repeatedly fucked things up in the most amateurish ways possible. They almost crashed the ISS at one point.

Then of course, the USSR was watching the Apollo program with eagle eyes, and not once did they even hint that something was amiss, so either they were in on it, or there was nothing for them to shout bloody murder about.

Finally, it really bugs me with people constantly saying things like "...did what they still cannot do now". It's incredibly dishonest. They know exactly how to do it (rocket, life support, point at moon, go), they just don't have the equipment to do it right now. It's like saying someone doesn't know how to dig a ditch because their backhoe broke down and they haven't fixed it yet.
DrEvil

Postby Belligerent Savant » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:11 pm

NASA plans to pick one of the companies to carry out a test run for their Lunar Terrain Vehicle before the arrival of the crew for the Artemis 5 mission scheduled for 2029.

2029. Hmm... in the below news release by NASA, put out in Jan 2024, they indicated lunar landings by humans in 2026, though perhaps it takes a few years for the rover to join them, is that it? We'll find out soon enough.
Unfortunately due to modern deepfake/AI tech, NASA will have to ensure they utilize crisp images (perhaps with some form of immutable authentication) along with viable telemetry data. At least to keep those theorists at bay. Alas, no one can ever know for certain without actually going out there, eh?

I type all the above with full awareness than NASA's news releases are little more than forms of marketing/propaganda, and certainly to be assessed with a heavy grain of salt. Even wide-eyed NASA fans know this, I'd presume. Or am I presuming too much? Silly me.

Belligerent Savant » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:16 pm wrote:.
They have been actively promoting going to the Moon AND mars for YEARS. There has been SIGNIFICANT investment in marketing, advertising, budget allocation, AND ROCKET DEPLOYMENTS (As well as personnel & equipment into LEO for further testing, etc) at least in part to 'plan', 'prepare' and STRIVE towards traveling to the Moon and/or Mars within our lifetimes. Actually, scratch that: NASA aims to get us on or around the Moon by 2025:

https://www.nasa.gov/news-release/nasa- ... for%202028.

NASA will now target September 2025 for Artemis II, the first crewed Artemis mission around the Moon, and September 2026 for Artemis III, which is planned to land the first astronauts near the lunar South Pole. Artemis IV, the first mission to the Gateway lunar space station, remains on track for 2028.

Right around the corner.

(though, needless to say, there have been myriad delays and postponements over the years... I have a hunch NASA won't make that 2025 target. We'll find out, right?)

Belligerent Savant

Postby SonicG » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:37 am

RE: The Van Allen Belts
...the outbound and inbound trajectories of the Apollo spacecraft cut through the outer portions of the inner belt and because of their high speed spent only about 15 minutes in traversing the region and less than 2 hours in traversing the much less penetrating radiation in the outer radiation belt. The resulting radiation exposure for the round trip was less than 1% of a fatal dosage - a very minor risk among the far greater other risks of such flights.

In-depth explanation and some graphics here:
https://thewire.in/the-sciences/apollo- ... -injection

Forget the Moon, though we headed straight to Mars....(wait for it)...biyatches!
I mean if there isn't a more visceral symbol for our current post-End of Novelty absurd simulation than the Mars Hype....It has basically made Moon conspiracy theorizing obsolete really.

Also, I will try to dig it up, but when I looked into the VA Belts recently, I ran across someone talking about how there might be a need to artificially weaken or move them out of the way of all our satellites! And if you look hard enough, it's plain that Space X is mainly about orbiting **tens of thousands** of those greasy mfers. Anyhow, the bigger point is also about the fragile balance of protection the VA Belts provide our miraculous blue marble.
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby BenDhyan » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:28 pm

No worries about the ionosphere, satellites orbit above it, besides it is an electromagnet field created by the rotation of the earth, so long as the earth keeps rotating all is sweet.
Fwiw, as for how many and what satellites, etc., are up there, just hover your mouse pointer over any lighted point and it will provide the name of the object.

https://sky.rogue.space/
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:22 pm

For whatever it may be worth. Potential 'nudging'/'priming' operation (among many other techniques/methods employed over the years on this topic, in pop culture and elsewhere.)

@SecretSunBlog

Soft disclosure process commencing or just more mockery of the plebes?

@DiscussingFilm

First look at Greg Berlanti’s ‘FLY ME TO THE MOON’, starring Scarlett Johansson and Channing Tatum

The film follows a group of people during the space race who must develop a fake moon landing film in case the USA can’t land on the moon.

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1777326780501893440
Belligerent Savant

Previous

Return to General Discussion