Abandoning rational discussion on climate change

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Abandoning rational discussion on climate change

Postby DrEvil » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

It's just the same tired old deniers with the same tired old arguments (same director as The Great Global Warming Swindle mentioned in the OP). Willie Soon, Roy Spencer, $contrarian_old_white_guy_with_vaguely_relevant_degree_#124, etc. That the premiere was sponsored by the CO2 coalition and the Heritage Foundation should be a big hint what's in store. I know you're not a fan of skepticalscience, but they have a list of 25 bogus claims made in the movie here: https://skepticalscience.com/climate-th ... myths.html

It's the same damn things these same damn people have been harping on about for over two decades now. There was more CO2 in the past! It's good for plants! It's the sun! It's cosmic rays! Clouds! Bad models!

At least get some new arguments every now and then. Just repeating the same old stupid bullshit over and over again won't make it any more true, no matter how much money the oil industry throws their way.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

Hold on, I believe I finally get it. You're a parody account! It all makes sense now!

Well, if you're going to do parody, you gotta get it right. Contrary to your satire above, what's actually been blared (across media outlets everywhere, with immense backing/funding) for the last ~couple decades is the tripe about human-generated CO2 having a significant impact on 'climate change' (up until recently it was called 'global warming', though that canard can no longer sustain itself).

The portion of your bit downplaying "bad models" can't really pass muster anymore, because, well... bad models (among other far more nefarious tactics) are precisely what were utilized in ~2020 to pull off the egregious covid-related scams! Yea, you see: nowadays, in 2024, even the 'mainstream media' and dominant narrative scientists are minimally acknowledging the deep harms and failures of lockdowns that were imposed en masse due to -- among other factors -- grossly inaccurate models.

And then, of course, there's the FACT that climate-related models have been proven wrong, repeatedly, going back to the 70s (back when they were going with the 'global cooling' farce).

So yea. 'Bad Models' are, alas, actually a pervasive thing. A critical component of the doctrines put forth by 'The Science' cultists and high priests. Clouds, are, in fact, a factor in temperature fluctuations. Among so many other factors too obvious to ignore any more Re: 'alarm'-related scams.

Too obvious to ignore for those who endeavor to apply objective reasoning to this topic. The zealots/dogmatists of 'Climate Alarm', on the other hand, many of whom ironically call themselves "atheists", will continue to worship at the altar of 'The Science' (and the faulty data + propaganda that go along with it).

Parody! Love it. Golf clap to you, sir.
Belligerent Savant

Postby stickdog99 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 pm

DrEvil » 28 Mar 2024 20:34 wrote:It's just the same tired old deniers with the same tired old arguments (same director as The Great Global Warming Swindle mentioned in the OP). Willie Soon, Roy Spencer, $contrarian_old_white_guy_with_vaguely_relevant_degree_#124, etc. That the premiere was sponsored by the CO2 coalition and the Heritage Foundation should be a big hint what's in store. I know you're not a fan of skepticalscience, but they have a list of 25 bogus claims made in the movie here: https://skepticalscience.com/climate-th ... myths.html

It's the same damn things these same damn people have been harping on about for over two decades now. There was more CO2 in the past! It's good for plants! It's the sun! It's cosmic rays! Clouds! Bad models!

At least get some new arguments every now and then. Just repeating the same old stupid bullshit over and over again won't make it any more true, no matter how much money the oil industry throws their way.

Of course, it's immediate and totally reflexive attack the messenger and "consensus" pre-bunking to the rescue!

These people should all be put in jail just for questioning our sacred climate models!
stickdog99

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:08 pm

Belligerent Savant

Postby BenDhyan » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:36 am

From 15 to 20 min mark, Climate Change, Guyana -VS- The BBC

Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby DrEvil » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:35 pm

Belligerent Savant » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 am wrote:.

Hold on, I believe I finally get it. You're a parody account! It all makes sense now!

Well, if you're going to do parody, you gotta get it right. Contrary to your satire above, what's actually been blared (across media outlets everywhere, with immense backing/funding) for the last ~couple decades is the tripe about human-generated CO2 having a significant impact on 'climate change' (up until recently it was called 'global warming', though that canard can no longer sustain itself).

Um.. it is getting warmer. The Atlantic has had sustained record temperatures for almost a year, heat records are being broken left and right, every other year is the hottest on record, glaciers are disappearing, sea levels are rising, and they changed from using "global warming" to "climate change" because it's more accurate. The changes aren't uniform.

Do you seriously believe that pumping tens of billions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere every year, year after year, has no effect? We already know from experience that our emissions can change the climate, and that we can correct the problem (the "cool" period between WW2 and the seventies, caused by aerosols we were releasing that caused acid rain, and CFCs fucking the ozone layer, so we banned them and the ozone layer started healing), so why is it so hard to accept that the, by far, largest emissions, of a gas that we know for a fact is a greenhouse gas, also have an effect?

As for the message being blared across media - yes, it has, but not by the people in power. Every concession has been fought over tooth and nail, and the crackdown on climate protesters keeps getting more and more draconian. The people in power have been doing everything they can to not have to change anything because the money was just too good.

The portion of your bit downplaying "bad models" can't really pass muster anymore, because, well... bad models (among other far more nefarious tactics) are precisely what were utilized in ~2020 to pull off the egregious covid-related scams! Yea, you see: nowadays, in 2024, even the 'mainstream media' and dominant narrative scientists are minimally acknowledging the deep harms and failures of lockdowns that were imposed en masse due to -- among other factors -- grossly inaccurate models.

And then, of course, there's the FACT that climate-related models have been proven wrong, repeatedly, going back to the 70s (back when they were going with the 'global cooling' farce).

This is a straight up lie. You're lying. The models are accurate. I've posted about this repeatedly in the other thread, and you've consistently ignored it, instead just repeating the same thing over and over without actually looking at the evidence. They've been modeling the climate for decades, so you can actually go back and look at the old simulations and compare them to what really happened, and we're right on track. Why do you keep ignoring this? You can literally compare older model predictions to reality and see that they match, yet you just change the subject or ignore it whenever I bring it up.

So yea. 'Bad Models' are, alas, actually a pervasive thing. A critical component of the doctrines put forth by 'The Science' cultists and high priests. Clouds, are, in fact, a factor in temperature fluctuations. Among so many other factors too obvious to ignore any more Re: 'alarm'-related scams.

Too obvious to ignore for those who endeavor to apply objective reasoning to this topic. The zealots/dogmatists of 'Climate Alarm', on the other hand, many of whom ironically call themselves "atheists", will continue to worship at the altar of 'The Science' (and the faulty data + propaganda that go along with it).

Parody! Love it. Golf clap to you, sir.

Look in a mirror.
DrEvil

Postby DrEvil » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:38 pm

stickdog99 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am wrote:
DrEvil » 28 Mar 2024 20:34 wrote:It's just the same tired old deniers with the same tired old arguments (same director as The Great Global Warming Swindle mentioned in the OP). Willie Soon, Roy Spencer, $contrarian_old_white_guy_with_vaguely_relevant_degree_#124, etc. That the premiere was sponsored by the CO2 coalition and the Heritage Foundation should be a big hint what's in store. I know you're not a fan of skepticalscience, but they have a list of 25 bogus claims made in the movie here: https://skepticalscience.com/climate-th ... myths.html

Of course, it's immediate and totally reflexive attack the messenger and "consensus" pre-bunking to the rescue!

These people should all be put in jail just for questioning our sacred climate models!

I'm fine with shooting the messenger when they've been caught repeatedly lying and twisting the truth, and are being funded by the people who stand to lose the most. They're not messengers, but propagandists. Fuck'em. Why is it so hard to find some honest skeptics?
DrEvil

Postby DrEvil » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:02 pm

And here's what the summary at the end of the chapter says (first page only, see the link below for the full table, page 1875):

Hot and Cold Extremes:
Frequency and intensity of hot extremes increased and cold extremes
decreased at the global scale and in most regions since 1950 (GSAT change
about 0.6°C) (virtually certain). Number of warm days and nights increased;
intensity and duration of heatwaves increased; number of cold days and
nights decreased (virtually certain). Regional-to-continental scale trends
generally consistent with global-scale trends (high confidence). Limited
data in a few regions (especially Africa) hampers trend assessment.

Extreme Precipitation Events:
Frequency and intensity of heavy precipitation events increased at
the global scale over a majority of land regions with good observational
coverage (high confidence) and at the continental scale in North America,
Europe and Asia. Larger percentage increases in heavy precipitation observed
in the northern high latitudes in all seasons, and in the mid-latitudes in the
cold season (high confidence). Regional increases in the frequency and/or
intensity of heavy rainfall also observed in most parts of Asia, north-west
Australia, northern Europe, South-Eastern South America, and most of
the USA (high confidence), and West and Southern Africa, Central Europe,
the eastern Mediterranean region, Mexico, and North-Western South
America (medium confidence). GHGs likely the main cause.

Drought:
Increased atmospheric evaporative demand in dry seasons over a majority
of land areas due to human-induced climate change (medium confidence).
Especially observed in dry summer climates in Europe, North America and
Africa (high confidence).

Tropical Cyclones (TCs):
Human contribution to extreme rainfall amount from specific TC events
(high confidence). Global proportion of major TC intensities likely increased
over the past four decades.

Marine Heatwaves (MHWs):
High confidence that MHWs have increased in frequency over the
20th century, with an approximate doubling from 1982 to 2016, and
medium confidence that they have become more intense and longer
since the 1980s.

https://report.ipcc.ch/ar6/wg1/IPCC_AR6 ... Report.pdf
DrEvil

Postby DrEvil » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:17 am

Also, can I just point out the irony of you writing this:

... for the last ~couple decades is the tripe about human-generated CO2 having a significant impact on 'climate change' (up until recently it was called 'global warming', though that canard can no longer sustain itself).

... immediately followed by a table from the IPCC report saying the opposite. You can't even stay consistent for twelve hours.
DrEvil

Postby Elvis » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:36 pm

DrEvil wrote:That the premiere was sponsored by the CO2 coalition and the Heritage Foundation should be a big hint what's in store.

This tells us all we need to know about this piece of industry propaganda.

The regurgitation of fossil-fuel industry propaganda here is disturbing.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby stickdog99 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:02 pm

DrEvil » 30 Mar 2024 18:38 wrote:
stickdog99 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am wrote:

I'm fine with shooting the messenger when they've been caught repeatedly lying and twisting the truth, and are being funded by the people who stand to lose the most. They're not messengers, but propagandists. Fuck'em. Why is it so hard to find some honest skeptics?

Why is it so hard to have a rational discussion based on scientific merits and the clear and obvious limits of human predictive certainty rather than a set of emotional appeals intent on browbeating others into worshipping a establishment endorsed millennial cult intent on making all "politically virtuous" people demand that central authorities enforce austerity on all average people just trying to scrape by?
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:12 pm

Elvis » 31 Mar 2024 18:36 wrote:
DrEvil wrote:That the premiere was sponsored by the CO2 coalition and the Heritage Foundation should be a big hint what's in store.

This tells us all we need to know about this piece of industry propaganda.

The regurgitation of fossil-fuel industry propaganda here is disturbing.

No. The lack of openmindedness of anyone of either side of this (or for that matter almost any "polarizing" issue one can think of) to consider that maybe these issues are incredibly complex and they are not completely omniscient is disturbing.

When the response to any alternative views of your strongly held beliefs is to reflexively demonize your opponents, that is the very definition of groupthink.

Next, you will move to censor any "disturbing" view you disagree with and finally to criminalize it. Because all good billionaires know that the the only way to save us from the evil fossil fuel billionaires is by allowing only billionaires to use fossil fuels.
stickdog99

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:00 pm

Haven't looked at DrEvil's last reply yet as I'm hoping to minimize my internet intake for today (and perhaps even longer) but with respect to this bit by Stickdog:

The lack of openmindedness of anyone of either side of this...

Speaking only to my own 'journey' on this topic: my current position has evolved, quite a bit, over time. I've arrived at the positions I currently hold on this issue relatively recently and may continue to evolve/revise my thoughts with time, as I continue to (re-)assess and (re-)evaluate. This is my approach for ALL topics. My aim is to strive towards objectivity and remain resistant to any/all 'tribalist' rhetoric; to be open-minded to all positions, within reason.

Some positions survive the test of time. Others do not.

I disagree with the premise that there are only 2 'sides' to this topic, as such thinking tends to enable/allow for tribalist positions (on any given topic) and plays into much of the efforts to sow division/schism on any topic of import.

If it turns out my position happens to align, in some respects, to positions that are currently being touted as 'Right Wing' (or whatever variant), that's irrelevant to me, as it's increasingly clear that they've been incrementally priming/'nudging' sentiment on certain topics to the point that 'liberal' positions now would have been considered patently illiberal 10 or so years ago.

The fact that in the current zeitgeist, certain positions such as questioning 'vaccines' or questioning 'net zero', et al., are being labeled/categorized as 'Right Wing' should cause any critical thinker to pause and reflect.

Tribalists generally will align with whatever position is promoted/touted by their ‘tribe’, given their groupthink programming, and for these reasons there is added incentive to frame certain issues accordingly to corral the herds (one glaring example are ‘liberals’ blindly affixing the Ukraine flag to their social media profiles, or on the other end of the spectrum, those Trump loyalists that continue to insist Trump is a ‘maverick’ against the System who was ‘tricked’ into playing along with Covid lockdown/related control measures).

There are many manipulations in play across the spectrum of dominant ideologies/tribal views, in short.

My core objective is always to arrive at the nearest approximation of 'truth' (however elusive or illusory), in a manner that avoids being tainted by manipulations. No one will ever succeed 100% in this endeavor, but the FIRST STEP is acknowledging that there are pervasive, extensive efforts to influence and manipulate you at all times, especially with respect to ALL topics covered in Mainstream discourse ('climate change'; 'vaccines'; monetary systems; elections, etc.).

This also means that even sources that may be ‘tainted’/compromised to various degrees will often have elements of truth/factual points. A finely-tuned filtering mechanism, an ability to discern coupled with a bit of intuition — and other acquired skills — are increasingly critical tools for deciphering information out there these days. Such methods require practice, and will also involve rates of failure, of course.

But to dismiss ‘oppositional’ info outright by association alone is an increasingly stupid way of approaching things.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:12 pm

DrEvil » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:17 am wrote:Also, can I just point out the irony of you writing this:

... for the last ~couple decades is the tripe about human-generated CO2 having a significant impact on 'climate change' (up until recently it was called 'global warming', though that canard can no longer sustain itself).

... immediately followed by a table from the IPCC report saying the opposite. You can't even stay consistent for twelve hours.

Here, again, you show your dishonesty in debate tactics, or are otherwise too obtuse to see the flaws in your counters.

I shared the IPCC charts because it indicates, in essence, that climate-based austerity measures will not resolve weather fluctuations, because the IPCC does not observe [in their reporting] human-caused factors -- beyond natural variability -- in most types of extreme weather events. THIS is the primary issue. The IPCC isn't the only entity making such claims, and in any event no single source is infallible.

I fully understand the IPCC has a different view on CO2. As I mentioned in my prior post above, I don't rely on a single source for my info. I appreciate that my take is not the position held by many of the oft-cited regulatory bodies and/or governments, for a variety of reasons. I understand my current position -- that human-based CO2 is NOT a significant factor in 'global warming' -- is not a popular take right now.

I also observe that the general midwit response is to simply scoff at this position with proclamations that only those fooled by the 'oil industry' can subscribe to such notions.

That's fine -- this is anticipated and expected.

(It should also be noted that many of you that currently subscribe fully to the 'human-based CO2 is the PRIMARY driver of global warming' narratives are also largely the same persons that fully subscribed to much of the narratives Re: covid, and perhaps to some degree, continue to subscribe to portions of these lies/faulty 'science'. You were deeply fooled/misled, in other words. Consider that you are also being fooled/misled about the role of human-based CO2. I am willing to accept that my position may turn out to be wrong, at least in part. Are you willing or able to entertain the same? I anticipate not. Ardent believers are rarely capable of such things.)
Belligerent Savant

Postby stickdog99 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:25 pm

It's just weird to me how politicized so many ostensibly "scientific" topics have become.

When I was growing up, if you asked somebody whether alcohol, marijuana, or cigarettes were more dangerous to one's health, whether secondhand smoke was a significant risk, whether the "magic bullet" explanation was physically possible, whether human activity was going to result in disastrous climate change, whether to get vaccines for swine or normal flu, whether GMO food was a good or bad idea, whether nuclear power was a good or bad idea, whether to fluoridate the drinking water, etc. the answers you received were not dependent on some sort of tribal political litmus test. Offering a different opinion or level of certainty in your opinion was not something that would automatically get you ostracized from your political tribe. Basically, the average person's interpretation of ambiguous scientific evidence was more likely determined by his or her level of interest in and knowledge of the issue at hand rather than a product of the talking points delivered by his or her political tribe, recited as requirement of political virtue, and deviated from at the risk of personal demonization.

Most importantly, everybody generally respected everyone else's inherent right to interpret ambiguous scientific evidence differently. Offering a differing perspective did not automatically make you an evil or deluded person intent on implementing fascism, killing grandma, and destroying the planet. As a general rule, deviations from "consensus" establishment opinions were not even predictive of political affiliation.

Are all sorts of human activities environmentally harmful? Certainly. Should humans be better environmental stewards rather than rapacious capitalistic environmental destroyers? Certainly.

But is the average human's emission of CO2 an imminent environmental emergency that necessitates central authoritarian control of every CO2 molecule emitted by every human on the planet? If you actually think so, why don't we begin our "War on Existential Climate Change" in earnest by restricting the use of militaries, plastics, yachts, herbicides, and private planes? Instead of locking people into 15 minutes cities and personal carbon allowances, why don't we source things locally, ship things less, fix things instead of disposing of them, and make quality products that last for decades? I mean, if we are willing to use our government against ourselves personally, why not first use it to regulate the rapacious excesses of the worst environmental offenders among the corrupt oligopolies that we all agree are causing environmental degradation without making much if any positive contribution to the standard of living of regular people?

Every single time our establishment misleaders convince us of an imminent emergency, their prescription is to offload the entire responsibility for mitigating this emergency onto the average person while granting themselves increased authoritarian control to ensure that each average citizen fulfills his or her personal responsibility for mitigating the crisis.

How many of the well-meaning collectivists among us have even so much as noticed this blatantly obvious pattern? Sure, we all spent decades fighting capitalistic exploiters and polluters tooth and nail in the name of well-meaning environmental (and medical care) collectivism. But now that our establishment has so obviously perfected weaponizing that same well-meaning collectivism against us, shouldn't we at least be wary of handing them yet another supposedly existential crisis so dire that we all must be willing to serve up every right we have on a sliver platter in order to mitigate?

Just think what these same people have done to the Gaza, Lahaina, East Palestine, Ukraine, Flint MI, Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc., etc. etc. Weren't they great stewards of our environment in all of those cases? And now they are going to ride to our rescue by outlawing personal car ownership, curtailing our right to travel, locking us in 15 minute cities using license plate readers and facial recognition surveillance cameras, restricting our personal carbon allowances using CBDCs, and criminalizing our right to express our disagreement with any of the above policies based on our "consensus" state of climate emergency?

So far, I have yet to have anyone who demonizes any questioning of our supposed climate emergency as disturbing "fossil fuel propaganda" give me a straight answer to the following question:

Do you believe that the existential climate crisis we face justifies any and all authoritarian enforced austerity measures for regular people? If not, where do you draw the line?

Again, this to me is one of the biggest reasons why the failure of so many progressives to come terms with their having been marks for our TPTB con artists in terms of their endorsement of our technocratic authorities' "measured" responses to the COVID crisis is so important. Even after living though the incredible failure of authoritarian lockdowns, vaccine mandates, censorship, school closings, small business closings, and social media censorship to have any demonstrably positive effect on the trajectory of the COVID pandemic, a very large number of progressives still sincerely believe that had our authorities only done a better job at restricting our rights (you know, as they supposedly did in China), then we would have somehow "won" our self-destructive "War on COVID"! And even the more moderate among my former political tribe refuse to reassess their previous judgments that such measures were (at least by and large) wholly justified by the specter of the COVID pandemic.

Here is Freddie deBoer's recent nuanced expression of this highly popular opinion:

I guess you would say that, in the context of 2024, I’m a Covid hawk. Maybe? It’s hard to say. I’m four-times vaccinated. (Pfizer, if you’re curious.) I have never regretted those decisions for a moment, in part because I’m willing to read the data and I’m not a deranged conspiracy theorist. I believed that the lockdowns were an appropriate temporary measure given the state of things at the time. I was perfectly happy to wear a mask during mask mandates, though I felt it was kind of nutty that some people insisted on masking outdoors or when they were alone in their own private car. In hindsight we perhaps should not have pushed vaccine mandates on the young and healthy, given what we now know about their risk profile, but public officials were making difficult decisions in the middle of a disaster. I think Covid was obviously a very deadly disease, even though it only killed a very small portion of the people who got it, and I agree with those that say there’s been a disturbing memory-holing going on with regards to a global pandemic that killed millions. It was a very big deal. I do, however, think it’s “was” and not “is.” Because the data tell us the pandemic is a past-tense phenomenon. And I think it’s crazy to suggest that that’s offensive to say.

I guess I should say that I’m part of the very slim portion of the population that believes that the world’s establishment governments and the United States specifically did a pretty good job managing an unprecedented pandemic. On one side, increasingly emboldened, are the hordes of right-leaning people who insist that Covid was a minor illness, that the vaccines were poisons ginned up by Bill Gates and Big Pharma to defraud the public, and that various restrictions on movement and behavior were simply a tool of leftist control. They think every death that occurs, anywhere, ever, is proof of the danger of the vaccines. On the other, increasingly obstinate, are the Covid dead-enders, the left-leaning types who have not been in a public place since March of 2020, who continue to douse their houses with anti-bacterial soap, who believe that the next big outbreak is mere days and way and who (and I am not exaggerating) think that we should today, in 2024, have lockdown policies in place as aggressive as those under China’s Zero Covid policy. (If you think I exaggerate, take five minutes to look around in the online spaces of the Covid ultra-hawks and see for yourself.)

At some point in the blogosphere days, “both sides” constructions became so thoroughly satirized that employing one is now déclassée, but I must: it is indeed the case that when it comes to Covid, there are crazies on either side of our culture war divide. I invite you to peruse the subreddits for people with ongoing extreme fear of Covid. I feel sympathy for those people, but it’s a sympathy derived from the fact that many of them seem to clearly be mentally ill.

I’m not suggesting that each side is equally destructive, nothing so crude. For one thing, there’s simply far more of the right-wing Covid skeptics than the left-wing Covid shut-ins; after all, there’s a greater personal cost to actually living the extreme Covid-avoidant lifestyle than there is to yelling on the internet about “the jab.” And the conspiracism surrounding the vaccines has become positively surreal, to the point that I fear it’s created the same kind of charged atmosphere that led someone to bring an assault rifle to Comet Ping Pong. The belief that the vaccines have killed vast hordes of people, thanks to guys like the addled omni-conspiracist Brett Weinstein, has grown despite the utter lack of evidence that any such thing has occurred. I had a particularly persistent emailer who kept insisting that I write about this supposed conspiracy, to whom I would just as consistently ask for evidence. His response was always to send me links to obituaries for individual people who had (supposedly) died of cardiac issues, with no proof whatsoever that those deaths were caused by the vaccine. Eventually he produced a crowdsourced spreadsheet, but it was more of the same - these people had named hundreds who had died of various cardiac issues, but not a single one I found could be responsibly attributed to the Covid vaccines.

There have been a few cases of myocarditis that have been linked to the vaccines, but every piece of responsible evidence suggests that they’re incredibly rare. The M.O. of the anti-vaccine cranks, meanwhile, amounts to “post hoc, ergo propter hoc” and to attributing any heart-related death to vaccines, despite the fact that cardiac issues have been the number one cause of death for as long as I’ve been alive. I saw an Instagram post recently that shared the news that former baseball superstar Darryl Strawberry had suffered a heart attack; predictably, many of the top comments suggested that this was the result of “the jab.” Darryl Strawberry is 62 years old; he’s Black, which carries with it higher risks of cardiac disorders; he has by his own admission lived a life filled with substance abuse and general hard living, which raises the risk of heart attack. But, nope - Covid vaccines exist, Darry Strawberry maybe(?) got one, like 800,000+ other Americans every year he suffered a heart attack, ergo he must have been the victim of the vaccines. If there are vaccine skeptics who are more responsible than this, they sure seem uninterested in combatting this kind of absurd reasoning. Nobody in that “movement” seems to have any interest in policing the relentless assertions of death-by-vaccine that crop up without a shred of evidence.

It’s true, though, that there’s also an ongoing kind of liberal denialism about Covid, an addiction to being the only serious people in class, that depends on a refusal to acknowledge that Covid is no longer a pandemic, that we are in most important ways in a post-Covid era. It’s an addiction not just to the fear of Covid but to the purity of the culture war of the height of the coronavirus, when everyone had nothing but time, time in which to yell on Twitter from the usual battle stations. You can see those problems clearly in this newsletter missive from Tom Scocca.

That deBoer actually considers himself part of the slim group of leftists able to reevaluate some of their previous excesses in their blind devotion to Branch Covidianism is highly problematic.

At this point, anyone who fails to recognize that the establishment response to COVID was an unmitigated disaster in terms of decimating the middle and lower classes worldwide, derailing the education of hundreds of millions of the most vulnerable children, transferring trillions in wealth to the top 0.1%, normalizing authoritarian micromanagement of social media, etc. is simply refusing to acknowledge that their fear of a respiratory illness (whose age of mortality was always higher than the average age of mortality) caused them to wholeheartedly endorse the policies that directly led to all of this objective damage. For anyone in 2024 to believe that "the world’s establishment governments and the United States specifically did a pretty good job managing an unprecedented pandemic" can be explained only by the intense confirmation bias of those whose outsized fears of COVID led them to make personal declaration after personal declaration that first demanded and then whole heartedly endorsed all of these intensely destructive authoritarian policies as they were being implemented. It was just more comfortable for a certain class of people to announce their collectivistic COVIDian virtue and then proceed to ignore any and all ill-effects caused by these (far too longstanding) policies because performing ritualistic ascetic practices as their response to a scary pathogen served to mitigate their fear while also appealing directly to their well-meaning collectivistic instincts.

If we can't get well-meaning collectivists to own up to being marks for our con artist establishment on something as comparatively trivial as the COVID pandemic, is there any hope for awakening them to the perils of what ascetic rituals and deprivations will next be required of them to remain virtuous in the already proceeding "War on Existential Climate Change"?
stickdog99

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion