Another Side of Jerry Seinfeld

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Another Side of Jerry Seinfeld

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:31 pm

There's always a protagonist bias. But Seinfeld the show was predicated on his being a very big jerk who gets away with it.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Zombie Glenn Beck » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:41 pm

If Seinfeld trained a generation to be detached nihilistic snarkers, is Arrested Development training my generation to be bickering sociopaths? And more importantly, what the kind of damage did Hannah Montana do to Gen Y?
barracuda wrote:The path from RI moderator to True Blood fangirl to Jehovah's Witness seems pretty straightforward to me. Perhaps even inevitable.
Zombie Glenn Beck

Postby Zombie Glenn Beck » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:42 pm

JackRiddler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:31 pm wrote:There's always a protagonist bias. But Seinfeld the show was predicated on his being a very big jerk who gets away with it.

He didnt even get away with it in the end.
barracuda wrote:The path from RI moderator to True Blood fangirl to Jehovah's Witness seems pretty straightforward to me. Perhaps even inevitable.
Zombie Glenn Beck

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:56 pm

Just started reading this thread.

brekin wrote,
Everyone's favorite the Soup Nazi episode, which help legitimize and weaken the Nazi tag.

Not at all, imo. The soup nazi was a real man. When I worked in Manhattan on Park Ave. there was one place nearby many often got their lunches from. Only one menu item each day. Complain about the wait or ask for something not being served that day and you were sent away hungry! But the food was great and everyday there was always a long line waiting.

Not saying it was the same guy, but it sure seemed so to me.
Iamwhomiam

Re: In response to Nemo . . .

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:26 pm

John E. Nemo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:45 pm"

BLACK PEOPLE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO JOIN WHITE MASONIC LODGES
THEY HAVE TO FORM THEIR OWN LODGES, BECAUSE THE MASONIC LODGE IS A RACIST SECRET SOCIETY.

Sorry John, this might have been true no that long ago, but today this is patently false. My son outlaw is a member of one of our (US) oldest lodges.
Last edited by Iamwhomiam on Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iamwhomiam

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:28 pm

It was the same guy, "Soup Man," and off the Seinfeld publicity (which he hated) he built a chain using lifesize cardboard figures of himself as the branding.

We can say a lot of bad things about Seinfeld but I don't think the Soup Nazi episode played any role whatsoever in the trivialization of Nazi as a term. That happened decades before. By the first season of Seinfeld you had Rush Limbaugh talking about "feminazis" and right-wingers decrying the power of "PC fascists" at the universities.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Re:dog black bird black dog black bird black dog black bird

Postby IanEye » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:14 am

brekin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:42 pm wrote:
Seinfeld, His Show, and Inequality

By ANAND GIRIDHARADASAPRIL 14, 2014

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/15/us/se ... click&_r=0

NEW YORK —

Bruce Dazzling » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:08 am wrote:
IanEye wrote:

"This is a song Charles Manson gave to Led Zeppelin. Tonight, they realized that Manson had at best, 'borrowed' it from the Beatles. So, they gave it back." - Paul Hewson

Yes!

"the humanity"

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby justdrew » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:00 am

JackRiddler » 16 Apr 2014 18:31 wrote:There's always a protagonist bias. But Seinfeld the show was predicated on his being a very big jerk who gets away with it.

true, it's been 15-20 years since I've even seen an ep.

and the bee movie thing he did is ripped off from an Aqua video.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby lucky » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:01 am

Well i loved the show - the final double where they end up in jail showed them for what they really were (not that we didn't know) egocentric, selfish looking out for number one - which probably covers most of the population.
Curb was very funny and i still whatch re-runs when they are on - L.D says the things that alot of us would like to say but won't because of social convention plus the improv within the show that makes it that bit more watchable.
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

Mo Collins

Postby IanEye » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:33 am

“I submit, you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here.”
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby brekin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:14 pm

JackRiddler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:28 pm wrote:It was the same guy, "Soup Man," and off the Seinfeld publicity (which he hated) he built a chain using lifesize cardboard figures of himself as the branding.

We can say a lot of bad things about Seinfeld but I don't think the Soup Nazi episode played any role whatsoever in the trivialization of Nazi as a term. That happened decades before. By the first season of Seinfeld you had Rush Limbaugh talking about "feminazis" and right-wingers decrying the power of "PC fascists" at the universities.

Well, I agree the term was heavily overdone before and trivialized somewhat, but usually it was used in a overly righteous indignation of a supposed person or group that somehow was limiting freedom or wanted to. Rarely was it done as a joke in a way where the term Nazi had no consequence.The Young Ones did have a character who regularly shouted "Facist!" at every perceived slight and Woody Allen always had a plethora of Nazi jokes, and there is always The Producers, but Seinfeld helped make the tag pretty benign. Few people I recall were calling each feminazi's in a light hearted way whereas in a short time, after Seinfeld, people were using the hypen Nazi for everything they thought someone was extreme about. Like grass-nazi's (people who were overly lawn proud or territorial), coupon nazi's, shoe nazi's, comic book nazi's, recycling nazi, furniture nazi, etc

I mean that is quite a legacy. Taking the name of the most dastardly group in recent history responsible for mass genocide and turning it into a modifier for people who are overly tense about something.

Hammer of Los wrote:

Cosmo Kramer.

Figgers.

Yeah, that's what he said.

If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:19 pm

The one I really hate of course is Grammar Nazi. Wonder why?

Perhaps this will be better appreciated on RI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythrdCsOFJU

JackRiddler

Postby norton ash » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:20 pm

Well, I gotta tell ya, I love the Jews, but 'Seinfeld' and 'Curb' have always justified anti-Semitism for me. (Rim shot.)
Zen horse
norton ash

Previous

Return to General Discussion