In pictures: Banksy returns to Bethlehem

Postby marmot » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:13 am

marmot

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: In pictures: Banksy returns to Bethlehem

Postby Laodicean » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:19 pm

Banksy paints Hollywood.

http://laist.com/2011/02/16/banky_getti ... _and_m.php

*The "Living the Dream" billboard, the "Pissing Dog," the "Charlie Brown Firestarter," and the "Crayola Shooter," are all confirmed Banksy pieces, and have been posted to the street artist's website.

http://www.banksy.co.uk/outdoors/outusa ... ntal_1.htm

Banksy's film Exit Through the Gift Shop is nominated for an Oscar this year. Nice to see him doing some PR around town. The film is excellent, BTW.

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Kickin' threads more'n three years later... nice board!

Saw "Exit Through the Gift Shop" a few weeks ago. Recommended. A documentary, but a very surprising set of plot twists -- you don't know what's coming until the end.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby 8bitagent » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:39 pm

Love Bansky! It's funny how people like Bansky and Assange(if Assange is indeed for real) can muck up the system by themselves.
I've seen pix of the real Bansky, but it doesnt ruin the mystique.

I saw Exit Through the Gift Shop opening day, loved it. If you guys liked it, check out Culture Jamming and Popaganda: The Art Crimes of Ron English. Both about subversive street art/billboard manipulation.
I hope he gets the Oscar...oh and my fave part of the movie: the Gitmo dummy stunt 9/11 weekend in Disneyland!

Also, you guys HAVE to see "What Would Jesus Buy?"
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Laodicean » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:08 pm

Elusive British street artist Banksy is welcome at Oscars, planners say, but will he show?

By Christy Lemire (CP) – 1 day ago

LOS ANGELES, Calif. — The question that's kept Oscar observers guessing since nominations were announced last month — Will Banksy show up? — remains unanswered. But the motion picture academy says the bad-boy British street artist is more than welcome to attend.

The elusive graffiti star is up for best documentary feature for his directing debut, "Exit Through the Gift Shop." Since he prefers to hide his face, it has seemed unlikely he would reveal himself before half a billion viewers worldwide on Hollywood's biggest night. Even in his own film, he appears in shadows, wearing a hoodie and with his voice altered to make it unrecognizable.

While publicists for the movie and for Banksy himself declined to comment as to whether he'll be at the Kodak Theatre with the rest of the nominees on Feb. 27, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences says it would be happy to see him.

"Banksy and his folks are keeping things very mysterious," the academy's executive director, Bruce Davis, said Friday. "We certainly are expecting the producer of the film to be with us, Jaimie D'Cruz, but I would not be surprised if Banksy were in the audience as well — but I don't think he's going to be wearing a name tag, so it may not be clear."

It seems Banksy was already in L.A. this past week, as evidenced by a few new pieces of his work that have cropped up around town.

One of them, a billboard for the Las Vegas nightclub Light, was tagged with graffiti images of Mickey and Minnie Mouse drinking and smoking with a sexy, scantily clad dancer. CBS Outdoor, which owns the billboard, quickly pulled the image down, saying it didn't meet their standards.

While Banksy's representatives won't comment on the work, as is their custom, Associated Press photos of the billboard match those on Banksy's own website. There was also no explanation as to why the iconic Disney characters were used, but the Academy Awards are televised by Disney-owned ABC.

Contrary to earlier reports, Davis said the academy did not tell Banksy to stay away from the Oscars for fear that he might cause a disruption at the elegant ceremony.

"We like to have the nominees with us," he said. But he added that because of Banksy's penchant for secrecy, "this presents certain problems, and we're talking to people about that. We kind of like to know who we're giving an Oscar to, but I think we can handle that if his film should win — and remember, there are four other contenders here.

"Weird stuff happens on the show, and that's the stuff people remember," Davis said (who can forget the streaker or Sally Field). "If that film should win and if something unusual transpires, that is not a bad thing for the Academy Awards."

"Exit Through the Gift Shop," which follows the evolution of the Los Angeles street art scene as it builds to a frenzy over the latest hot, new thing, is up against "Gasland," ''Inside Job," ''Restrepo" and "Waste Land."

When Banksy was nominated Jan. 25, he put out a statement: "This is a big surprise. I don't agree with the concept of award ceremonies, but I'm prepared to make an exception for the ones I'm nominated for. The last time there was a naked man covered in gold paint in my house, it was me."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... Id=6005693
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:34 pm

MUSIC NEWS CRACK STAFF / 08.03.17
MASSIVE ATTACK AND TRENT REZNOR WILL BE SOUNDTRACKING BANKSY’S BETHLEHEM HOTEL
And Elton John performed remotely for the art hotel’s opening

Following on from Banksy’s Dismaland dystopian theme, he’s back with a new project. His latest idea is the Walled Off Hotel – an art hotel and gallery in Bethlehem with a piano bar open to the public and nine guest rooms. The walls of the room have been designed by Bristol street artist Banksy himself, Sami Musa and Dominique Petrin.

Located in the Palestinian city, views from the rooms overlook the wall, which separates Israel from Palestine. The intention of the hotel is to highlight the story of the wall from both sides.

What’s also intriguing about the hotel, however, is its piano bar. With a remote-controlled automated piano, each night will feature a pre-recorded concert. So far, Elton John has remotely performed for the hotel’s opening.

Massive Attack’s 3D will also be recording a performance “with three hands” for the hotel, along with Nine Inch Nail’s Trent Reznor, composer Hans Zimmer and Red Hot Chilli Pepper’s bassist Flea.

Fully financed by Banksy, rooms are available from $30 a night. Bookings will open from 11 March.

Check out a snippet of Elton John’s concert below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uivaFJvLHfI
http://crackmagazine.net/2017/03/massiv ... sys-hotel/
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:26 pm

Iamwhomiam

Return to General Discussion