Don't send in the clowns

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Don't send in the clowns

Postby nomo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:04 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080116/od_nm/clowns_odd_dc

Wed Jan 16, 8:32 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Bad news for Coco and Blinko -- children don't like clowns and even older kids are scared of them.

The news that will no doubt have clowns shedding tears was revealed in a poll of youngsters by researchers from the University of Sheffield who were examining how to improve the decor of hospital children's wards.

The study, reported in the Nursing Standard magazine, found all the 250 patients aged between four and 16 they quizzed disliked the use of clowns, with even the older ones finding them scary.

"As adults we make assumptions about what works for children," said Penny Curtis, a senior lecturer in research at the university.

"We found that clowns are universally disliked by children. Some found them quite frightening and unknowable."
nomo

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby IanEye » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:16 pm

"As adults we make assumptions about what works for children"

"We found that clowns are universally disliked by children. Some found them quite frightening and unknowable."
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Sepka » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:19 pm

Clowns are anarchic at best, actively evil at worst. In any case, they're dangerous. I can't imagine how anyone finds them lighthearted or amusing.
- Sepka the Space Weasel

One Furry Mofo!
Sepka

clowns, etc.

Postby yathrib » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:31 pm

LOL! I was just coming over here to post this very story, wondering if anyone would find it relevant. I think we had a discussion some months ago about Christian clowns... I forget the context. Is there anything creepier than clowns? It would have to be *Christian* clowns. And let's not forget John Wayne Gacy (sp?).

In the immortal words of Ned Flanders to Krusty: "Ironically enough, you're the only one here who *doesn't* make me laugh!"

And:

“To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.”

--Jack Handy
yathrib

Postby sunny » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Strangely, or maybe not, children seem not to need context to fear clowns. My grandbabies are aged 4 and 2 and don't know from "It" or John Wayne Gacy, yet they both positively hate clowns and images of clowns.

Sepka:
Clowns are anarchic at best, actively evil at worst. In any case, they're dangerous. I can't imagine how anyone finds them lighthearted or amusing.

Lol, I too suffer from coulrophobia but I don't think they are actually dangerous.

Are they?
Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Evil Clown

Postby marmot » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:00 pm

picture taken moments before the death-by-hanging of the evil clown:

marmot

Postby IanEye » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:00 pm

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

the king and the clown

Postby marmot » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:09 pm

O nomo what a gif!
marmot

Re: the king and the clown

Postby yathrib » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:11 pm

There was ketchup everywhere! It was awful!

marmot wrote:Image

O nomo what a gif!
yathrib

Postby nomo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:18 pm

And to think I deleted that post because it seemed so ... tasteless ...

You caught me. :shock:
nomo

Postby barracuda » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:40 pm

If people hate clowns so much, why do they keep voting them into office? It doen't make sense.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:16 am

The Great Bogol is King of the Coulrophobes...

a nihgt of terer

a clown whith his keen noase can trakc a sent for mials.

whan i was encarcarated there was a chainfenced pen fulla clowns. theyd be in there hoalin an barkin an weepin all hours of teh day an night. bashin against teh fence an snapin their dripin fangs. sometiams theyd be quiet an youd wlak by an theyd expload inta a franzy! 'yapyapyap! harrooo!' etc. whith their gliterin swivelin clowany eyes al buged out an lungin at ya.

fare done gime a turn it did.

an so teh night when i ascaped tehy found me misin an they let teh cloawns out. five mials acros teh mors behint me i culd here em comin. i ran an ran for hours but they ganed on me stedily. finly runin down a hilside i stombld an fel. i turnd an they're they were in the moanlight on teh crast of hte hill behind me lepin down the sloape like devils shiriekin an slaverin. they ware off their chains an i thot it msut be teh end of me. but stragengly they stremed on past an kept goin.

whan they were goan i made good my ascape. in the moarning a isolated farmin famly tok me in. the radio sadi a pack fo clowns had kilt an et a whoal famely at a loanly crosrods.

noboddy new what becaim of em. sometims i hear em stil.
MacCruiskeen

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:08 pm

marmot wrote:Image

O nomo what a gif!

Yet you found my christmas card "extremely offensive"?

Does not compute for this clown. :?
Seamus OBlimey

Postby John E. Nemo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:29 pm

The Puritans closed English theatres in 1642.
When theatres reopened in 1660, clowns were banned!

This thread is proof that the evil, evil Puritans have won and YOU ARE ALL WORKING TO FURTHER THEIR AGENDAS, YOU ANTI-CLOWN FASCISTS!!!!

P.S. Kids may have problems with some clowns, bit not Ronald McDonald or any of these guys.

Won't you please put aside you bigotry and help end anti-clownisms?

Just look in your heart and remember how happy you used to be to see one of these guys in your hand during a game...
John E. Nemo

Postby marmot » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:17 pm

Seamus OBlimey wrote:Yet you found my christmas card "extremely offensive"?

Does not compute for this clown. :?

OBlimey, your cartoon of Jesus of Nazareth--the Christ of Christmas--being sodomized by Santa registers an offensive of a completely different order than this bloody gif nomo originally posted. The difference in order is the difference between the sacred and the secular. Your cartoon desecrated the Christian God and King of the universe, who--if the prophetic scriptures are true--you and every one of us will bow and confess that He is Lord.

And let me say, Seamus, I got the joke of the cartoon, and the profound truth that it was depicting. Nevertheless, it grieved me. But I'd like to point something out. Few people are going to be grieved and offended by the above gif. You'd have to have some serious corporate loyalties to be offended by the king doing a drive-by on the clown. Few people worship Ronald McDonald, he is not a God.

Here's a further difference that I hope might underscore the severity of your offense and the understanding, forgiveness and grace you will get from me and true Christians at your Christmas Card. When a person in many parts of the Muslim world desecrates Allah or his prophet Mohammed you have riots and calls for the death penalty. On the other hand when Jesus Christ allowed himself to be desecrated and hung naked on the cross so that he might take upon His body the offenses of the world (i.e., our sins), Jesus prayed, "Father forgive them for they do not know what they do." And in like manner, OBlimey, I extend my grace to you. I only wanted you to respect my sincere love for the Lord of the universe. You might not presently acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, but my knees are bowed to Him as God.
marmot

Next

Return to General Discussion