Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The Bourne Ultimatum: rejecting the CIA

Postby American Dream » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:48 pm

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/article.p ... 2155132171

The Bourne Ultimatum: rejecting the CIA

By Hans Bennett
Infoshop News
January 22, 2008

Following September 11, 2001, the corporate news media has almost uniformly supported the US invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as the overall agenda of US imperialism. Simultaneously, the mainstream entertainment industry has produced several movies with remarkably scathing critiques of US militarism and foreign policy. Accompanying recent anti-war films like In The Valley of Elah and Lions for Lambs, is this summer’s blockbuster action movie, The Bourne Ultimatum, starring actor Matt Damon. Just released on DVD, The Bourne Ultimatum is the final installment of the Jason Bourne trilogy, which is based on the book series by author Robert Ludlum.

In the trilogy’s first movie, The Bourne Identity (2002), Jason Bourne, played by Matt Damon, is mysteriously found by fishermen in the Mediterranean Sea, unconscious, with several bullets in his back. After help from the crew’s doctor, Bourne regains consciousness only to discover that he has amnesia and a microchip embedded under his skin, which projects the numbers of a mysterious Swiss bank account. After arriving in Switzerland to investigate this mysterious bank account, Bourne is sleeping at night in a park when he is awakened by police officers who begin to bully him. Without thinking, Bourne fights back and sends both cops to the hospital—now realizing that he possesses extraordinary fighting skills.

Bourne soon learns that he is a CIA assassin, and his gunshot wounds and amnesia have stemmed from a botched assassination attempt on an African leader planning to write a book exposing numerous ultra-secret CIA operations in Africa. Bourne soon realizes that the CIA is now trying to kill him, and after he survives several attempts on his life, he has the inevitable confrontation with his CIA boss, at which point he finally remembers the full details of the failed assassination attempt.

In the second movie, The Bourne Supremacy (2004), he is still suffering from amnesia but can remember some fragments of his past, including several assassinations that he performed for the CIA. Disgusted by his assassin past, he continues his rigorous physical training and also confronts the intense psychological trauma that continues to haunt him. He is particularly haunted by scattered memories of his very first job, where he killed a prominent Russian politician that was opposing the privatization of oil, following the dissolution of the USSR.

As Bourne is hunted once again, this insubordinate, former assassin is forced to use the very fighting skills that he has come to despise. While providing explosive hand-to-hand combat, gunfights, car chases, and a suspenseful plot, the action scenes will satisfy any fan of action movies. However, distinguishing this from the typical action film, it explores Bourne’s deep psychological wounds resulting from his violent past, and his displeasure at having to use violence for his survival. Indeed, the violence is not glorified at all.

This summer’s The Bourne Ultimatum marked the final chapter of this exciting trilogy. After explosive confrontations with CIA “assets” in London and Tangiers, Morocco, Bourne returns to New York City where he finally confronts the man who created him as part of an experimental training program for the CIA’s elite assassins. In the process, Bourne remembers the full details of his “training,” which entailed treatment shockingly similar to the torture tactics used at Abu Ghraib and elsewhere. Indeed, this is how he was made into an unquestioning trigger-man serving the murderous agenda of US global dominance.
“A Movie For Today”

Recently interviewed by CNN about Ultimatum, Damon said that movie’s similarities to the current war on Iraq were no accident. "All of these movies are very much of the time that they were made, and at a time when we had gone into this war. To have this character aware of what he had done and try to take responsibility for his actions I thought was a really good thing….It's this guy who has done these horrible things, but now we see he thought he was doing them for the right reasons at the time he did them, but he realizes he was sold a bill of goods," Damon said. "So that's very much a movie for today."

Having grown up next-door to anarchist historian Howard Zinn, actor Matt Damon is no stranger to radical politics. In his breakthrough film, Good Will Hunting (1997), Damon’s character (a mathematical genius from Boston’s working class) challenges Robin Williams’ character to read Zinn’s A People’s History of the United States. Williams then responds by challenging him to read Noam Chomsky’s Manufacturing Consent!

Recently, Damon narrated the documentary about Zinn, titled You Can’t Be Neutral On A Moving Train (2004), and also began a project with FOX Television to create a TV mini-series based on Zinn’s A People’s History, before it was cancelled by FOX.

Damon’s recent films The Good Shepherd (2005) and Syriana (2005) also present a radical critique of the CIA and the general objectives of US foreign policy. In Martin Scorcese’s The Departed (2006), Damon plays a corrupt police officer working for Frank Costello, a real-life Boston gangster with documented ties to the US intelligence community.
Robert Ludlum and the Radical Spy Novel

The recent Bourne movies are based on the trilogy written by best-selling author Robert Ludlum, a WWII veteran who passed away in 2001. The original Bourne Identity was written in 1980, so the new movies have been updated to correspond with recent history. The only real similarities in the plot are that Bourne is a wounded CIA assassin, with amnesia, who is being hunted by the CIA. In the book, Bourne is severely traumatized by his experience leading a US death-squad in the killing fields of the Vietnam War.

In contrast to conservative spy fiction authors like Tom Clancy, who glorify the US National Security State, Ludlum’s many books presented a profoundly critical view of authoritarianism, ruling class power, the military-industrial complex, violence, and the US intelligence community.

Inspired by the emergence of The Trilateral Commission, The Matarese Circle (1979) is Ludlum's Cold War classic. Two arch enemies (one Russian and one US master-spy) both make themselves wanted fugitives of their respective agency, when they unite to bring down a covert international ruling class network which owns most of the media and the world's military industries. "The Matarese" have effectively created and supported global wars (including between the US and the USSR) both for war profiteering and to further their overall power over the global poor.

Many of Ludlum's books focused on US political and economic collaboration with the Nazis, as well as post-WWII Nazi plots to retake power, including The Holcroft Covenant (1977), The Apocalypse Watch (1995), and The Sigma Protocol (2001), whose historically accurate summary of US corporate ties to Nazi Germany, is truly chilling. One of Ludlum’s last books, The Janson Directive, is a harsh critique of liberalism, arguing that alleged motives of “humanitarianism,” often serve as a cover for the sinister agendas of the global corporate elite and the governments that serve their interests.

A movie adaptation of The Chancellor Manuscript (1977) starring Leonardo DiCaprio is due out in 2008. Here, Ludlum addresses US industrialists' ties to Nazi Germany, illegal CIA domestic spying, and the US military's murderous racism. The main story is about FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover's extensive blackmailing of other powerful people, which he used to further his own racist and authoritarian agenda. The book suggests that Hoover was assassinated by someone who then stole his extensive files that he had long used for blackmail. Perhaps he finally blackmailed the wrong person?
The Subversive Action Movie

Popular musicians like Public Enemy, Rage Against The Machine, Bruce Springsteen, and the young Bob Dylan, have garnered the support of major record labels and have subsequently been able to bring very radical political analyses into mainstream US culture. In a similar vein, with the support of big media, exciting action movies like The Bourne Ultimatum have been able to present scathing critiques of the status quo to mainstream audiences that simply enjoy a good action movie.

Along with the previously mentioned films, two other post 9-11 spy thrillers are highly recommended. The 2007 film Shooter, starring Mark Wahlberg and Danny Glover, is based on the book Point of Impact, about the fictional ex-Marine sniper Bob Lee Swagger, written by The Washington Post film critic Stephen Hunter. Interestingly, in the beginning of Shooter, the disaffected Swagger (played by Wahlberg) is seen viewing the prominently displayed the radical-activist Znet website. After Glover’s character talks him into doing one last favor for the government, Swagger is double-crossed, and proceeds to use his Marine skills to hunt down the private military contractors and politicians who skillfully framed him for a murder that he didn’t commit.

The 2004 version of the 1962 movie, The Manchurian Candidate, starring Denzel Washington and Meryl Streep, is a riveting critique of the post-911 climate of fear-mongering, the power of transnational corporations like Haliburton, and the chilling real-life history of experiments in mind-control similar to the CIA’s MK-Ultra program.

Check them out!

--Hans Bennett (insubordination.blogspot.com) is an independent photo-journalist and co-founder of Journalists for Mumia (Abu-Jamal-News.com).
American Dream

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby sunny » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:43 am

The Bourne trilogy is simply fantastic! I'm not even a fan of the genre, but this series is particularly satisfying on a number of levels. I loved it when Bourne despatched one nasty villain with a book! You have to see that scene, in the last installment.

A movie adaptation of The Chancellor Manuscript (1977) starring Leonardo DiCaprio is due out in 2008

I can't wait for this movie, but according to IMDb it is not due out until '09. It does not even have a director yet and no other cast members besides DiCaprio. Rumors on the discussion board have it that Paul Greengrass may direct. God, I hope not.
Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby professorpan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:13 am

For all the posts about how tightly the media are controlled by the CIA, I'd bet that if someone listed all the movies from the past 3 decades that were critical of the CIA, that list would be much longer than a list of movies that portrayed the agency in a positive light.

The Bourne films seem reflective of the population's ambivalence toward the CIA and other intelligence agencies.
professorpan

Postby IanEye » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:18 pm

Interesting to hear that the Bourne Identity was originally published in 1980. To appreciate the context of those times, and left wing Hollywood’s take on the CIA and it’s shenanigans, I recommend the following films:

The In-Laws (1979)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079336/

Hopscotch (1980)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080889/

Personally, I think the right wing in Hollywood was pretty busy gearing up for Reagan’s 1980 campaign and thus movies like the above mentioned as well as others like Cutter’s Way and The Big Fix had an easier time getting made.

For extra credit, one could look at Eastwood’s homage to Reagan’s Bonzo movies in the formers Philo Beddoe character, as well as the film “Bronco Billy”.

These are certainly in sharp contrast to the first Reagan era film Eastwood made, “Firefox”.
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby MinM » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:11 am

Apparently somebody agrees with me. This most recent incarnation of the James Bond series (w/Daniel Craig) is very Bournesque:

Bourne-Again Bond
By RICHARD CORLISS Thursday, Nov. 13, 2008
Craig and Kurylenko, on a voyage of revenge.

He has a stolid face and solid musculature, which we know because he goes topless more than his leading ladies do. He has vigorous skirmishes on roofs, in cars and in hotel rooms. He takes as severe a beating--and shows as much emotion--as a crash-test dummy. He's a government spy whom his government wants dead, and he's mourning the violent death of his girlfriend. He so resembles another famous agent that you half-expect him to say, "The name is Bourne. Jason Bourne."...
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 81,00.html
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:51 am

professorpan wrote:For all the posts about how tightly the media are controlled by the CIA, I'd bet that if someone listed all the movies from the past 3 decades that were critical of the CIA, that list would be much longer than a list of movies that portrayed the agency in a positive light.

The Bourne films seem reflective of the population's ambivalence toward the CIA and other intelligence agencies.

I'm doubtful about your bet. There are so many, many movies and especially series that portray the CIA as the good guys. (The Bourne trilogy totally rocked both as Hollywood-filtered politics and even more so as an exciting action series, but it coincided with the horrible Mission Impossible trilogy.)

I think you're right with the following revision: there's little doubt that the critical ones tend to be by far the better movies, and, just to give us all a quantum of solace, I would guess they make up more of the commercial successes too. (Otherwise they'd probably never get made!)

JackRiddler

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:03 am

I expect the CIA embraces its film persona as the bad guy that has to exist in order to stop the 'badder guy.'

The agency has been clouded with negativity since the OSS became the CIA, and the Vietnam era and subsequent media portrayals cemented its reputation as an organization that goes beyond the law to ostensibly support the ideals from which the law derives. Once people accept the fallacious proposition that it is necessary to go beyond the law in order to protect the law, all goes downhill. Propositions such as these are the death of Democracy and become a nursery for fascism.

I, for one, think the people running the CIA are smart enough to know how they are and will be perceived in the media and to use it to an advantage. If they aren't, then the whole thing is such a farce that we have no need to talk about them at all. An agency such as the CIA is designed to manipulate, so it should be no surprise if its worst enemies turn out to be friends and vise versa.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby Penguin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:09 am

mentalgongfu: Check out my picture rampage on this other Media/CIA/propaganda thread here:
http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board/v ... hp?t=21165

I think its relevant ;)
Penguin

Postby the_last_name_left » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:16 am

mentalgongfu2 wrote:Once people accept the fallacious proposition that it is necessary to go beyond the law in order to protect the law, all goes downhill.

Well said :)

Your thought reminded me of Robert Bolt's Man for All Seasons passage, which I think is brilliant, and cuts the justification for guantanamo and extra-judicial bullshit to the quick:

William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!

Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?

William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!

Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

That's brilliant?
the_last_name_left

Guardian take on the CIA/Mpvie world

Postby feralhistory » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:16 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/nov ... dley-scott

contains mandatory jibes at conspiracy theorists and this

In 2007, Kelbaugh spoke at Lynchburg College of Law in Virginia - where he had become an associate professor - about the CIA's relationship with Hollywood. A journalist present at the lecture (who now wishes to be anonymous) reported that Kelbaugh spoke about the 2003 Al Pacino/Colin Farrell vehicle The Recruit. A CIA agent had been on set as a "consultant" throughout the shoot, he said; his real job, however, was to misdirect the film-makers. "We didn't want Hollywood getting too close to the truth," the journalist quoted Kelbaugh as saying.
feralhistory

Postby LilyPatToo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Have you noticed how both the Bourne movies and the just-cancelled My Own Worst Enemy portray mind control programing as something in which the victims consciously chose to participate?

IOW, the public picks up the notion that mind control is nasty but voluntary and that stalwart Good Guy warriors were just trying to do the right thing by heroically volunteering for the programs. Later, of course, their programing begins to break down and they rebel when they become aware of the terrible things they've been used to do.

Don't get me wrong--I'm thrilled to see the public at least become minimally aware of the programs' existence, but I deplore the deliberate and very misleading twist that's being placed on the reality of nonconsensual human experimentation and trafficking.

LilyPat

PS sunny, I'm a Bourne fan too. The announcement that there'll be a 4th installment thrilled me!
LilyPatToo

Postby OP ED » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:35 pm

All of the Bourne movies, like most Holywood spook spectacles, make sure to depict "good" CIA people who work to expose the evil scumfucks. It is simultaneously very clever propoganda and desensetization towards violence and MC programming techniques.
OP ED

Postby the_last_name_left » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:57 pm

on the other hand, i'm often struck by how readily hollywood depicts police/military/government as faceless totalitarian goons interfering with everything that's "right".

Spielberg for example - and many monster/alien films.......

they generate sympathy and empathy for the alien, and pose civil and military defence as a domestic threat.

Who would join the police after watching ET?
the_last_name_left

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:03 pm

Hm, good point. Despite the usual Hollywoodized politics, and even with the two good-woman characters of "Pamela Lundy" and the one played by Julia Stiles (interestingly both female), both are rather isolated throughout and barely escape being killed or serving as the fall guy-gals. The Bourne movies are definitely bad for CIA recruitment.

JackRiddler

Postby vanlose kid » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:07 pm

deleted
Last edited by vanlose kid on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Teach them to think. Work against the government." – Wittgenstein.
vanlose kid

Next

Return to General Discussion