If you had 1 message to save the world? - CIA=Media

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby tKl » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:32 am

Always keep a good intention and try to avoid harming others; try to see beauty in everything and open that heart of yours... this will get you through life and death.
"He needs less and more blankets!"

-Walk Hard
tKl

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:03 pm

Seamus OBlimey

Postby Sounder » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:51 am

Caveat; No one message is going to ‘save the world’, -still...

Dualism and its spawn, either/or dichotomies turn us into patsies promoting incorrect assumptions papered over as being righteousness.

The thing for me about the CIA= Media meme is that before them there have been other (institutions) that were effective media in their day. The thing they hold in common is that they are maintained by the ability to define the agenda. The sad bit about it is that reactionary agendas only play into their hands.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby barracuda » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:04 am

49. Beat the Poor!

For fifteen days I was confined to my room, and I was surrounded by the sort of books that were fashionable then (this was sixteen or seventeen years ago) -- I mean to say those books in which is treated the art of making people happy, wise, and rich in twenty-four hours.  I had, then, digested, -- I should say, swallowed whole, -- all of the lucubrations of all of these entrepreneurs of public happiness, -- of those who council all of the poor to make themselves slaves, and of those who persuade them that are all unthroned kings. -- You won't be surprised to learn that I was in a state of mind close to dizziness or stupefaction.

It seemed to me only that I felt, confined in the depths of my intellect, the obscure seed of an idea superior to all of the old wives' tales collected in the encyclopedia that I had recently read through.  But it was only the idea of an idea, something infinitely vague.

And I went out with a great thirst.  For a passionate taste for bad reading engenders a proportional need for fresh air and refreshments.

As I was about to enter a cabaret, a beggar held out his cap to me, with one of those unforgettable gazes that would cause thrones to tumble, if spirit could move matter, and if the eye of a hypnotist could make grapes ripen.

At the same time, I heard a voice whispering in my ear, a voice that I well recognized: it was that of the good Angel, or good Devil, who accompanies me everywhere.  Since Socrates had his good Demon, why shouldn't I have my good Angel, and why shouldn't I have the honor, like Socrates, of obtaining my own certificate of insanity, signed by the subtle Lélut and the well-advised Baillargé?

There is this difference between Socrates' Demon and my own, and that is that Socrates' only appeared to him to forbid, warn, and prevent, whereas mine deigns to offer council, suggest, and persuade.  Poor Socrates only had a prohibitive Demon; mine is a great affirmer, mine is a Demon of action, a Demon of combat.

Now, his voice whispered this: "He alone is equal to another who proves it, and he alone is worthy of liberty who knows how to conquer it."

I immediately leaped upon my beggar.  With a single punch I gave him a black eye, which became in a second as big as a ball.  I tore one of my nails breaking two of his teeth, and since I didn't feel strong enough -- having been born delicate and being little practiced in boxing -- to beat this old man to death quickly, I seized him with one hand by the collar of his jacket and with the other I grabbed his throat, and I began to bang his head against the wall vigorously.  I must admit that I had previously inspected the area with a quick glance and that I had verified that I would find myself, in this deserted suburb, out of the reach of any police officer for a fairly long period of time.

Having then knocked down this weakened sexagenarian with a kick in the back, energetic enough to have broken his shoulder-blades, I seized a big tree limb that was lying on the ground and I beat him with it with the obstinate energy of a cook who wants to tenderize a steak.

Suddenly, -- Oh delight of the philosopher who verifies the excellence of this theory! -- I saw that ancient carcass turn, stand up with an energy that I would never have expected to find in so singularly broken-down a machine, and, with a look of hatred that seemed to me a good omen, the decrepit ruffian threw himself upon me, blackened both of my eyes, broke four of my teeth, and with the same tree branch beat me to a bloody pulp. -- Through my energetic medicine, I had returned to him his pride and his life. 

Then I made him numerous signs to let him understand that I considered the discussion ended, and getting up with all of the satisfaction of a Stoic philosopher, I said to him: "Sir, you are my equal!  Do me the honor of sharing my purse with me; and remember, if you are really a philanthropist, that you must apply to all of your brothers, when they ask you for alms, the theory that I had the sorrow of testing out on your back."

He swore to me that he had understood my theory, and that he would obey my advice.

Charles Baudelaire, from Paris Spleen, 1869
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby nathan28 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:08 pm

My message?

"STOP DRIVING"
nathan28

Postby AlicetheKurious » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:50 pm

barracuda, I loved your story. Sometimes I believe that "life" is trying to teach us all that very same lesson...
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:58 pm

I'm seeing a lack of contextual strategy.

Humanistic sentiments are not effective against what Americans think they know from the Tim Russer's of the world.
Last edited by Hugh Manatee Wins on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby erosoplier » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:37 pm

An oldie but a goody: 9/11 was an inside job!

Guaranteed to open up a can of worms!! :D
erosoplier

Postby MinM » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:51 am

What if IF was CIA???

I. F. Stone and the Assassination of JFK - The Education Forum

Isador Feinstein Stone was probably the best known left-wing journalist at the time of the assassination of JFK. After working for several left-wing journals he established I. F. Stone's Weekly in 1953. Over the next few years Stone led the attack on McCarthyism and racial discrimination in the United States. Stone once stated that: "There was nothing to the left of me but The Daily Worker."

However, Stone was a passionate supporter of the idea that Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone gunman who killed President John F. Kennedy in Dallas. In the first issue of I. F. Stone Weekly after the assassination Stone wrote: "It is always dangerous to draw rational inferences from the behavior of a psychopath like Oswald."

On the publication of the The Warren Commission Report Stone led the attack on those people like Bertrand Russell, Thomas G. Buchanan, Joachim Joesten, Mark Lane and Carl Marzani, who had proposed that there had been a conspiracy to kill Kennedy. Stone wrote:
All my adult life as a newspaperman I have been fighting, in defense of the Left and of a sane politics, against conspiracy theories of history, character assassination, guilt by association and demonology. Now I see elements of the Left using these same tactics in the controversy over the Kennedy assassination and the Warren Commission Report. I believe the Commission has done a first-rate job, on a level that does our country proud and is worthy of so tragic an event. I regard the case against Lee Harvey Oswald as the lone killer of the President as conclusive. By the nature of the case, absolute certainty will never be attained, and those still convinced of Oswald's innocence have a right to pursue the search for evidence which might exculpate him. But I want to suggest that this search be carried on in a sober manner and with full awareness of what is involved.

The Joesten book is rubbish, and Carl Marzani - whom I defended against loose charges in the worst days of the witch hunt - ought to have had more sense of public responsibility than to publish it. Thomas G. Buchanan, another victim of witch hunt days, has gone in for similar rubbish in his book, Who Killed Kennedy? You couldn't convict a chicken thief on the flimsy slap-together of surmise, half-fact and whole untruth in either book.

However, as John Kelin has pointed out in his book, Praise from a Future Generation, at the time Stone wrote this article: "the Warren Report had just been published and the twenty-six volumes of supporting evidence and testimony were still not available".

Is it possible that Stone was receiving funding for the I.F. Stone Weekly from the CIA? His defence of the Warren Report definitely helped shape the views of the left concerning the assassination of JFK.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAstoneIF.htm

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index ... opic=12116

"American Radical: The Life and Times of I.F. Stone"
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby Fat Lady Singing » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:48 am

If you had just one message to give people-
>they could understand
>and remember
>and repeat word of mouth
>that would actually cause a positive culture shift
>in today's real sociopolitical context, not fantasy
....what would it be?

I don't know, but the Golden Rule seems like a pretty good message that could do these things, and obviously *it* hasn't kept us from screwing things up, so I'm guessing pretty much nothing is going to get through the thick skulls of we human beings.

I like this question, though (that is, if it wasn't a rhetorical question). The answers are interesting and quite indicative of the diversity of viewpoints here at RI.
Fat Lady Singing

Postby lightningBugout » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:23 pm

"Stand up and be counted"
"What's robbing a bank compared with founding a bank?" Bertolt Brecht
lightningBugout

Re: If you had 1 message to save the world? - CIA=Media

Postby orz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:24 pm

Sepka wrote:Iran must be stopped.

much like your posts
orz

Postby lupercal » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:25 pm

MinM wrote:What if IF was CIA???

However, Stone was a passionate supporter of the idea that Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone gunman who killed President John F. Kennedy in Dallas. In the first issue of I. F. Stone Weekly after the assassination Stone wrote: "It is always dangerous to draw rational inferences from the behavior of a psychopath like Oswald."

On the publication of the The Warren Commission Report Stone led the attack on those people like Bertrand Russell, Thomas G. Buchanan, Joachim Joesten, Mark Lane and Carl Marzani, who had proposed that there had been a conspiracy to kill Kennedy.

Thanks MinM. Funny how this wasn't mentioned in the Democracy Now eulogies for Stone last week. Goes to show that everybody has their price I guess, or maybe just the price of fame, I don't know. But thanks for the info as I'd never known much about Stone until last week.
lupercal

Postby orz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:25 pm

rub out the word
orz

Re: If you had 1 message to save the world? - CIA=Media

Postby jingofever » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:43 pm

orz wrote:
Sepka wrote:Iran must be stopped.

much like your posts

Sepka's posts stopped last September.