Monroe Institute (CHarlottesvile, VA)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Monroe Institute (CHarlottesvile, VA)

Postby lightningBugout » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:53 am

Jeff blogged about it awhile back in the (particularly amazing) Full Spectral Dominance post, but does anyone out there have more info about the place?

In particular, its connections to the "Foreign Science and Technology Center" in Charlottesville in the late 1970s and early 1980s as well as the possibility of color programming being used there with kids, as well as the possibility that the Army is covering up a much larger remote viewing program that employed child subjects? One of only four articles on the (not-so)great Michael Aquino's website is devoted to dis-informing us that the entire remote viewing program proved inconclusive and wasted a lot of money. Most things Aquino says indicate a very good idea that the opposite is true.......

Too tired to find and properly format the links, but if you google Monroe Institute, you will find much. The current director, Skip Atwater, first went there undercover as an Army rep in the late 1970s.

Thanks, LBO
lightningBugout

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby American Dream » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:26 am

Good topic! I do believe that something spooky is going on around the topic of children and psychic development. To what degree it is a cover for other agenda such as mind control and/or disinformation, remains to be determined. However, there does seem to be activity in this regard in the world of the "New Age" and "cults".

Here is and old article that covers some of the basic information on the Monroe Institute. (Links embedded in the original):

www.mindcontrolforums.com/hambone/places.html

The Monroe Institute
P.O. Box 505, Lovingston, VA 22949. Click here to see their home page. Founded and directed by Robert Monroe from 1974 until his death in1995.

Had classified contracts with the U.S. Army Intelligence & Security Command (INSCOM) on orders by Gen. Albert Stubblebine. The Institute studied their hemi-synch techniques to see if they could enhance soldiers' performance and concentration. (Emerson, Steven, Secret Warriors, G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1988, pg 103-4)

The primary area of research at the Monroe Institute involves using a binaural beat to cause different psychological effects. A binaural beat is created by using stereo headphones with each speaker emitting a slightly different frequency. The result is a tone at the frequency between the two, which allegedly causes the brain to "entrain" on the frequency, i.e. the brain waves regulate themselves to the same frequency.

The National Research council evaluated the Institute's claims that the method could be used to improve learning.
(National Research Council, Enhancing Human Performance, National Academy of Sciences, 1988, pg 111-4)

"..located near Charlottesville, Virginia. Bob Monroe, author of many books on Out of Body experiences, has long and close ties with the C.I.A. James Monroe, Bob's father, if I'm not mistaken, was involved with the Human Ecology Society, a C.I.A. front organization of the late 50's and 60's. The Monroe Institute has done research on accelerated learning and foreign language learning through the use of altered states of consciousness for the C.I.A. and other government organizations. Government interest in the more radical research going on at the institute remains only tantalizing speculation. Official classified document storage boxes have been seen at their mail-order outlet located in Lovingston, VA."
(Porter, Tom, Government Research into ESP & Mind Control, March, 1996)

The Monroe Institute trained the government viewers from Ft. Meade in out of body experiences. Courtney Brown also went through this training, which involves using the Institute's Hemisync tapes. These tapes, which work by using a binural beat to entrain brain waves, caused Brown to feel that he left his body and communicated with aliens.
(Brown, Courtney, Cosmic Voyage, Dutton, 1996)

Joseph McMoneagle trained at the Monroe Institute (although he fails to mention any connection to the military). According to him, the Hemisynch tapes were used during the "cool down" period before the remote viewing sessions, to relax the viewer.
(McMoneagle, Joe, Mind Trek, Hampton Roads, 1993)

Interestingly, Michael Persinger uses the Hemisync tapes in his work which debunks paranormal experiences, especially UFO abductions.

The Monroe Institute's involvement with the Army began in 1977, when Skip Atwater, at the suggestion of his mother, visited the institute. He spread the word to others in the remote viewing program, and soon others attended, including John Alexander, Joe McMoneagle, and Albert Stubblebine. Soon, Stubblebine began sending his officers there, under a program called "Rabid Advancement Personal Training".
(Schnabel, Jim, Remote Viewers: The Secret History of America's Psychic Spies, Dell, 1997, pg 294-7)

In 1984, an unnamed INSCOM lieutenant with a history of mental illness suffered a psychotic episode while under the influence of the Hemisynch tapes at the institute. The officer was institutionalized at Walter Reed, and the event was the final straw that pushed Albert Stubblebine's resignation.
(Schnabel, 1997, pg 315-6)
American Dream

Postby Searcher08 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:00 am

I have known and been a huge fan of the work of the Monroe Institute for many years and knew Bob and Nancy who were two of the nicest kindest far thinking people I have met. I find HemiSync technology incredibly useful and use it on an almost daily basis and would recommend it without hesitation.

There is plenty of stuff they do that ties into accelerated learning; also for things like rapid recovery after strokes. If you want any more of my experiences or info - just ask - I did the Gateway Voyage program in the UK many years ago, which was a blast...
Searcher08

Postby ninakat » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:08 am

My ex went to Monroe for a weeklong out-of-body program and had a great time. He told me all about it at the time (about 12 years ago) and although I don't remember the details now, there weren't any particular red flags. I do recall discussion about a guy associated with Monroe who did the Remote Viewing thing for the defense department. Of course that was all before I Questioned Everything and know things I think I know now. heh
ninakat

Postby Searcher08 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:48 am

ninakat wrote:My ex went to Monroe for a weeklong out-of-body program and had a great time. He told me all about it at the time (about 12 years ago) and although I don't remember the details now, there weren't any particular red flags. I do recall discussion about a guy associated with Monroe who did the Remote Viewing thing for the defense department. Of course that was all before I Questioned Everything and know things I think I know now. heh

The guy was probably Joe McMoneagle, who is married to Nancy Monroe, Bob's daughter from his first marriage (Bob's second wife was called Nancy Penn).

Joe and Nancy's site is at http://blog.mceagle.com/ Joe has done some really interesting RV work in Japan in the last few years.

After Bob's death , the Institute was run by his daughter Laurie, who sadly passed from cancer a couple of years ago.

Good overview of TMI here http://www.monroeinstitute.com/PBWeditor/upload/File/The_TMI_Brochure.pdf
Searcher08

Postby Foote Hertz » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:53 am

Hello RI Forum - My first post. I'm a long-time albeit occasional lurker here. Great place to drop into every now and then for a strong jolt to the meme-bank. Jeff's blog posts jolt well too. Thanks for that.

Since Jim Schnabel was cited above a couple of times I'll bring up this clever fnord. I recently grabbed a torrent of Schnabel's RV documentary The Real X Files: America's Psychic Spies. I was amused by the quasi-Lynchian slo-mo conclusion, which has our heroes (Swann, Riley (looking great in a Native American headdress), et al) waving bye-bye to the camera while the tune Mockin'bird Hill (Patti Page, I think) plays. Now I don't suppose that any aspect of the RV program fell under the umbrella of Operation Mockingbird, but disinfo is as disinfo does, and a nod is as good as a wink. Funny anyways.

I've enjoyed Hemi-Sync. I like the Don Peyote and Naasko "metamusic" discs. I like to listen to them while I drool into the pages of Silver Age Marvel comics (reprints, of course). Easily amused and often.
Foote Hertz

Postby ninakat » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:03 pm

Searcher08 wrote:The guy was probably Joe McMoneagle, who is married to Nancy Monroe, Bob's daughter from his first marriage (Bob's second wife was called Nancy Penn).

Yes indeed -- Joe McMoneagle. I didn't remember (or know) that he was married to Nancy Monroe. Thanks for the info Searcher08.

My memory is cloudy, but wasn't McMoneagle interviewed in a documentary not long ago? I recall watching him talk about Remote Viewing and finally putting a face to his name.
ninakat

Postby Penguin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:06 pm

One more vote for hemisync :) I dont use it regularly, but from time to time binaural beats can be handy. I make them myself, theres a program for linux called Gnaural (free, open source etc...) and one not free, not open source, shareware program Brainwave generator, BWGen, for Windows. I recommend binaurals for anyone interested in brain workings and states of mind. But about Monroe Institute, I know nothing about.
Penguin

Postby lightningBugout » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:34 pm

The cognitive dissonance on this one is pretty strong. Clearly, as seen here, lots and lots of people have had really good experiences there and it sounds like there is little, if any, reason to be suspect of the place today. Makes me feel a little paranoid for even wondering....

Then again if Hemi-Sync and related stuff from Monroe "works" and people have had good experiences with it, perhaps that is more reason to think that the Army might've found something of use beyond deep relaxation stuff.

Sounds like only so much speculation for now........

Doesn't it seem odd, though, that the official story of the RV program is that it was a tiny handful of viewers? I need a ref but I recall reading that at its peak there were less than 10.

ninakat did your ex have a veritable "OBE?"

Got to download Gnaural (thanks Penguin)
lightningBugout

Postby ninakat » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:59 pm

lightningBugout wrote:ninakat did your ex have a veritable "OBE?"

Yes, near the end of the week he was there. I'll e-mail him and ask for a description and post it here. I don't think it was that mind-boggling -- I mean, he wasn't all starry eyed and his life wasn't transformed, but he apparently did experience it.
ninakat

Postby American Dream » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:01 pm

From an acquaintance of mine who's a MK-ULTRA survivor. We were discussing this thread, and I received these comments:

The Monroe Institute has a division for the general public, who can come for courses and order hemi-sync tapes to learn to relax, focus, meditate, etc. but I know from my own experience and testimonial of other survivors of the MKUltra program that the Monroe Institute is DEEPLY implicated in trauma based mind control and "espionage" (a euphemism). Hemi-sync was used as part of my Theta programming and I was witness to military/cult higher-ups who made regular visits to the Institute to attend training sessions. I think it's a good bet that part of their facility is dedicated to training cult programmers.
American Dream

Re: Monroe Institute (CHarlottesvile, VA)

Postby justdrew » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:26 pm

lightningBugout wrote:In particular, its connections to the "Foreign Science and Technology Center" in Charlottesville in the late 1970s and early 1980s as well as the possibility of color programming being used there with kids, as well as the possibility that the Army is covering up a much larger remote viewing program that employed child subjects?

hmm, funny you should mention that. That's exactly something I've been thinking about. child subjects would be perfect for training into remote viewers, as they wouldn't have the "it's impossible" baggage amongst other reasons. The creche wouldn't have been located at Monroe but somewhere near-ish-by.

How big is Mount Weather, underground?
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Searcher08 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:34 pm

ninakat wrote:
lightningBugout wrote:ninakat did your ex have a veritable "OBE?"

Yes, near the end of the week he was there. I'll e-mail him and ask for a description and post it here. I don't think it was that mind-boggling -- I mean, he wasn't all starry eyed and his life wasn't transformed, but he apparently did experience it.

I had a Focus-12 "Expanded Awareness" experience which was really neat.

It was like having my tactile sensation extend out and aware from my body, so that I could feel (as apparently real as the keyboard feeling right now!) the banister on the second floor of the conference venue, then the slate on the roof, then the leaves on distant trees, as a kind of expanding "dome" of sensation in all directions.
Searcher08

Re: Monroe Institute (CHarlottesvile, VA)

Postby ninakat » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

justdrew wrote:The creche wouldn't have been located at Monroe but somewhere near-ish-by.

How big is Mount Weather, underground?

Not sure the size, but the distance between Mount Weather (Bluemont, VA) and Charlottesville is about 100 miles.

I had an acquaintance who worked for FEMA years ago and had limited access to Mount Weather. I got the impression it was quite a large facility. WikiPedia, FWIW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Weather
ninakat

Postby lightningBugout » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:39 pm

"child subjects would be perfect for training into remote viewers, as they wouldn't have the "it's impossible" baggage amongst other reasons."

not to mention that there's a particular developmental stage at which kids are "magical thinkers" so its actually quite natural for them to believe that their internal state is impacting the larger, outside world.
lightningBugout

Next

Return to General Discussion