Hypogeum of Hal-Saflieni - bizarre story

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Hypogeum of Hal-Saflieni - bizarre story

Postby cptmarginal » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:10 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypogeum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypogeum_o ... l-Saflieni
Fact or fiction?

A little background first:

When Christian underground shrines, crypts and tombs that would be hypogea if the rites and burials were pagan, are called catacombs, a mistaken discontinuity in sepulture practices is implied that is not borne out by the archeology and history.

Since the time of the Carthagians, Malta has had many rulers--Romans, Arabs, Normans, Argonese, Castillians, the Hospitalers or the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, later known as the Knights of Rhodes, and still later as the Knights of Malta, who remain there to this day, having duel headquarters in Rome. A few miles south of the city of Valletta, Malta, is the town of Casal Paula (Paola). In the year 1902, workmen who were digging a well literally fell into the earth. What they discovered (or rather re-discovered) was a series of ancient caves, mostly excavated out of solid rock, which descended into the earth and into three lower levels below. These multi-leveled catacombs became known as the "Hypogeum of Hal Saflieni", named after the street beneath which they were discovered. A hypogeum is the Latin name for an underground structure.

From a 1940 issue of National Geographic:
"Many subterranean passageways, including ancient catacombs, now are a part of the island's fortifications and defense system. Supplies are kept in many tunnels; others are bomb shelters. Beneath Valletta some of the underground areas served as homes for the poor. Prehistoric men built temples and chambers in these vaults. In a pit beside one sacrificial altar lie thousands of human skeletons. Years ago one could walk underground from one end of Malta to the other. The Government closed the entrances to these tunnels after school children and their teachers became lost in the labyrinth while on a study tour and never returned."

According to Richard Walter's article "Wanderers Awheel in Malta," as featured in the August 1940 National Geographic, and as reprinted by Crabb in his lecture, "Years ago one could walk underground from one end of Malta to the other, but all entrances were closed by the government because of a tragedy. On a sight-seeing trip, comparable to a nature study tour in our own (American) schools, a number of elementary school children and their teachers descended into the tunneled maze and did not return. For weeks mothers declared that they heard wailing and screaming from underground, but numerous excavations and searching parties brought no trace of the lost souls. After three weeks they were finally given up for dead."

In 1935 two schoolteachers, leading a large group of elementary students on an "educational" outing, decided to explore the catacombs and caverns beneath Hal Salfini. According to witnesses, "as the last student turned the corner…the rope was clean cut." This "accident" was followed by a sudden "cave-in" which completely sealed the tunnel into which they'd gone.

While "caving" or spelunking accidents occur regularly, this event was preceded by another a few days earlier which put the entire matter into a different perspective. As related to Riley Crabb by a Miss Lois Jessup, and recounted as follows in "The Reality of the Underground:"

"What's down there?" she asked the guide, pointing to a small opening off the walls.

"Go there at your own risk, and you won't go far," he replied.

This was a challenge Lois couldn't pass up. She talked it over with her friends. Two of them decided to stay with Joe. The other three summoned up enough courage to explore with her.

"I was wearing a dress with a long sash that day and as I decided to lead the group I asked the fellow behind me to hold onto it. So, with half-burnt candles in our hands the four of us started through that low, narrow passage, groping and laughing our way through.

" I cam out first, of course, onto a ledge pathway only two feet wide, with a sheer drop of fifty feet or more on my right and the wall on my left. I took a step forward, keeping close to the rock wall side. The person behind me, still holding on to my sash, was still in the tunnel.

"I held my candle higher and peered down into the abyss, thinking that with this dangerous drop it was better not to go on further without a guide. Then I saw about twenty persons of giant stature emerge from an opening deep below me. They were walking in single file along another narrow ledge down below. Their height I judged to be about twenty to twenty-five feet, since their heads came up about half way on the wall on the opposite side of the cave. They walked very slowly, taking long strides. Then they all stopped, turned and raised their heads in my direction. All simultaneously raised their arms and with their hands beckoned to me. The movement was something like snatching or feeling for something, as the palms of their hands were turned down."

By this time her friends back in the passage were becoming impatient of the delay. There was a tug at the sash.

"Go on. We're all getting stuck in here. What's the matter?"

"Well," stammered Lois, "there's nothing much to see."

She took another hesitant step forward, her candle in her right hand, her left hand against the cold rock for support. but it wasn't on a cold rock wall, it was on something damp and wet, AND IT MOVED!

"Then a strong wind came from nowhere and blew my candle out! Now I really WAS scared in the darkness. I yelled to the others, "GO BACK! GO BACK! Guide me with my sash. I can't see!"

"They pulled me back into the low tunnel and we backed up all the way along the passage into the larger room."

Lois was relieved to see her friends and Joe, the guide, again.

"Did you see anything?" one of them replied.

"No, my candle went out," she replied with finality. "There was a strong draft in there."

"Let's go," said Joe, looking at Lois, and she returned his glance eye for eye. She knew beyond any shadow of a doubt that at one time Joe had also seen those giants. There was an expression of caution in his glance which held her to silence.

"Out in the hot Malta sunshine again we thanked our guide and as we tipped him Joe said to me: "If YOU really are interested in exploring further it would be wise to join a group. There is a schoolteacher who is going to take a party exploring soon."

Lois left her address with him, suggesting that he have the schoolteacher get in touch with her; but she never heard any more of it. Some few days later one of the friends of the Hal Salfini excursion called her on the phone.

"Remember that tunnel you wanted to explore in the Hypogaeum?" Well, it says here in the local paper that a schoolmaster and thirty students went exploring and apparently got as far as we got. They were roped together, with the end of the rope tied to the opening of the cave. As the last student turned the corner where your candle blew out the rope was clean cut. None of the party was found because the walls caved in."

Miss Jessup was shocked by the news, but it only strengthened her own resolve to say nothing of what she had seen and felt that unforgettable day in Hal Salfini. Some months later her sister came to Malta on a visit, and insisted on touring the famous Hypogaeum. Reluctantly, Lois went along, retracing the same route but this time with a different guide! She awaited that fateful opening with a dread expectancy as they worked their way through the corridors and rooms to the lowest level. The entrance to the tunnel was boarded up!

When she went back to the Hypogeum on another occasion, she was told no such tour guide had ever worked on the site.

She learned from more cooperative sources however, that THIS was the tunnel that the children and their teacher(s) and possibly the old guide, had entered. She also learned that after the last child had made it through, the walls of the small tunnel just "happened" to collapse or cave-in. Although the official version stated that the walls caved-in on the students, search parties were never able to locate any trace of the teacher(s) or the children, although the rope that they had used to fasten themselves to the lower Hypogeum chamber was found to have been CLEAN CUT as if by something sharp (not falling rock).

*edit* fake

I originally stumbled across this while very deeply enmeshed in reading Grant Morrison's The Filth and encountering the word "hypogeum"

WHAT IS THE FILTH ?

'Visit the centre of the earth
There you will find the global fire
Rectify it of all dirt
Drive it out with love and ire...’

sang Benedictus Figula
Last edited by cptmarginal on Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The new way of thinking is precisely delineated by what it is not.
cptmarginal

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Stephen Morgan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:14 pm

This was mentioned in one of Branton's books.

See also http://www.awakenedwoman.com/malta.htm
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby cptmarginal » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:24 am

The story of Etidorhpa (Aphrodite backwards) reminded me of this old post.

"The book purports to be a manuscript dictated by a strange being named I-Am-The-Man to a
Johannes Llewellyn Llongollyn Drury. Drury's adventure culminates into a trek through a cave in Kentucky into the heart of the earth. Ideas presented in Etidorhpa include practical Alchemy, secret Masonic orders, the Hollow Earth theory and the concept of transcending the physical realm."

The new way of thinking is precisely delineated by what it is not.
cptmarginal

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:03 pm

^^Thanks for the visual! We'll definitely steal that for the next Algorhythms EP, centered around this kind of High Strangeness.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby cptmarginal » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:53 pm

Wombaticus Rex wrote:^^Thanks for the visual! We'll definitely steal that for the next Algorhythms EP, centered around this kind of High Strangeness.

Will look forward to it. I just started really listening to that new DJ MSP EP recently, it sounds great.
cptmarginal

Postby Avalon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:43 pm

Is there any actual confirmation about the teacher and children, or the veracity (and existence) of Miss Lois Jessup?

The narrative is classic spooky story: the "sacrificial altar" with the pit next to it where there are "thousands of human skeletons," the mysterious beings, the nameless "local paper"setting the stage, the guide named Joe who helped her experience these scary things, but the next time she inquired no-one by that name had been a guide there!!!

Pretty long chain of "evidence" offered by anonymous sources, none of which can be verified in the slightest. Unless you take 1940 National Geographics as being implicitly and meticulously honest, factual sources. Which I don't.
Avalon

Postby Avalon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:05 pm

Ah, Miss Jessup exists, though no further corroboration appears to be readily available. According to a forum posting,

One article written by a Miss Lois Jessup, at the time an employee of the British embassy and later secretary for the New York Saucer Information Bureau (better known as NYSIB), appeared in an old issue of Riley Crabb's BORDERLAND SCIENCE magazine, published by the Borderland Sciences Research Foundation (B.S.R.F.) and was later reprinted in full in Dr. Allen's book ENIGMA FANTASTIQUE.

http://www.vivamalta.org/forum/showthread.php?t=303

Further searching for Jessup and NYSIB find more elaborate labelling of the incident: "Malta's Reptilian Tunnels," "SECRETS OF MALTA'S NEPHILIM CAVE GODS."
Avalon

Postby Avalon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:19 pm

In an article published in full in Fortean Studies #6 and Outre magazine (and in truncated form in Fortean Times), Bruce Lanier Wright places the Malta story in a Richard S. Shaver context:

Malta, Gateway to the Cavern World

For our own good, Shaver and Palmer were deliberately vague about the specific locations of entrances to the Cavern World, doubtless saving many a would-be spelunker from hideous death. Still, one doorway may be pinpointed in a remarkable publication, The Reality of the Cavern World, by Riley Hansard Crabb of the Borderland Sciences Research Foundation. This transcription of a 1960 lecture on Shaverism (Crabb leans to a psychic interpretation) fingers Malta's Hypogeum as the doorway to more trouble than you can handle.

The Hypogeum, long on UNESCO's World Heritage list, is an enormous, three-level underground complex, carved from living rock, which is thought to have served as a temple and a burial chamber for at least 7,000 persons between about 3600 and 2500 B.C. The Hypogeum apparently is only the most spectacular of a number of underground chambers and passages carved from Malta's soft limestone; according to an August 1940 National Geographic article that Crabb quotes, it was once possible to "walk underground from one end of Malta to the other, but all entrances were closed by the [British] government because of a tragedy." In the mid-1930s, a number of school children and their teachers descended into these passages on a field trip, and were never seen again.

Crabb learned the rest of the story from Constance Lois Jessop, secretary of the New York Saucer Information Bureau. Shortly before the children's disappearance, Ms. Jessop toured the Hypogeum and explored a dark passage leading out of the temple's lowest chamber; emerging into a large opening, she saw far below her a group of shaggy humanoids she estimated were at least 25 feet tall. She fled. Soon a friend told her that the school party had disappeared after entering the same passage! And the next time Jessop entered the Hypogeum, the tunnel had been boarded up....

I admit that shaggy giants don't sound much like dero, but then who knows what the vicious little imps have been breeding down there? Crabb also believed that the thousands of human remains found in the Hypogeum were not burials, but the detritus of dero feasts. Should you ever find yourself poking about Malta's underground, I suggest you bring along a reliable torch and a rocket launcher, at least.

http://www.softcom.net/users/falconkam/ ... below.html
Avalon

Postby Avalon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:27 pm

Note for future reference, that the correct spelling of the name of Miss Jessup [sic] appears to be Constance Lois Jessop.

In the eighties and nineties, she was quite a generous donor to Republican political causes. The Deros will take cash when they can't get sacrificed children.
Avalon

Postby Avalon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:41 pm

Note also, that Miss Jessop had been told by the mysterious guide, that if she wanted to explore further, there was a schoolteacher who was going to be leading a group down there soon. She never heard back about that proposed expedition, until the news from her friend who read "in the local paper" that the party had presumably met their death underground at the hands of those very same hideous, eldritch monsters.

Whew, that was a close one!
Avalon

Postby cptmarginal » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:23 pm

I didn't provide proper caveats about the veracity of her story, considering it to be self-evident to take it with a huge grain of salt (considering the familiar lurid elements). I just find the story creepy and fucked-up, as I am fairly certain that I found verification of the missing kids part back when I was reading this originally. The setting and the country definitely interest me as well.

Thanks for the interesting info about Jessop. I'll see if I can dig up confirmation about the disappeared school trip later.

I may very well have taken National Geographic's word about this detail after reading this passage which was somewhat specific:

"In 1935 two schoolteachers, leading a large group of elementary students on an "educational" outing, decided to explore the catacombs and caverns beneath Hal Salfini. According to witnesses, "as the last student turned the corner…the rope was clean cut." This "accident" was followed by a sudden "cave-in" which completely sealed the tunnel into which they'd gone. "

Unless you take 1940 National Geographics as being implicitly and meticulously honest, factual sources. Which I don't.

I originally found this on Wikipedia, which keeps spooky unverifiable legends on it's articles but regularly and rigorously deletes information of dire importance. Maybe they can just add it all back in under "Mysterious accounts" like this one was labeled. :)
Last edited by cptmarginal on Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
cptmarginal

Postby Avalon » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:57 am

cptmarginal wrote:I didn't provide proper caveats about the veracity of her story, considering it to be self-evident to take it with a huge grain of salt (considering the familiar lurid elements). I just find the story creepy and fucked-up, as I am fairly certain that I found verification of the missing kids part back when I was reading this originally. The setting and the country definitely interest me as well.

Thanks for the interesting info about Jessup. I'll see if I can dig up confirmation about the disappeared school trip later.

I may very well have taken National Geographic's word about this detail after reading this passage which was somewhat specific:

"In 1935 two schoolteachers, leading a large group of elementary students on an "educational" outing, decided to explore the catacombs and caverns beneath Hal Salfini. According to witnesses, "as the last student turned the corner…the rope was clean cut." This "accident" was followed by a sudden "cave-in" which completely sealed the tunnel into which they'd gone. "

They often appear to be "somewhat" specific, as we see from examining urban legends on places like Snopes. Sometimes there are names that sound like they ought to be verifiable.

While we're very right to take it with a grain of salt, from what I saw in researching this further not many others do, just parrotting the tales as given. Even Philip Coppens misses things that ought to be red flags. He bolsters Jessup's [sic] account by saying she worked for the British Embassy in Malta, yet her flying saucer connection doesn't come up. He's stating that she'd encountered another reality underground, whereas I don't see anything in the story as related by Jessop as supporting the notion that she'd physically or astrally left our world.

http://www.philipcoppens.com/hypogeum.html

And nobody's picked up the contradiction between the Jessop and National Geographic stories -- Jessop's story gives a single schoolteacher, but National Geographic's gives two teachers.

I don't have anywhere to test this, but if you are carrying a single half-burnt candle in front of you in a confined space and that's what your eyes have adapted to, aren't you going to have difficulty perceiving details that are 50 feet below you in darkness and across an abyss of unspecified width?

Jessop's troglodytes seem a bit slow on the uptake. You'd think that while slowly walking on their ledge in pitch darkness it might not have taken them so long to say to themselves, "WTF is that incredibly bright light up there?"
Avalon

Postby cptmarginal » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:06 am

One thing I was wondering about back when I posted this, before you provided the correct spelling of her name, was whether she was related to Morris Jessup, just reflexively based on seeing the same name. I never really followed it up at the time because I was more interested in this story just for the fictional and contextual aspects and was convinced that National Geographic would tell the truth for some reason (crack?). I say this now because I am digging through Google results and turning up nada beyond them, just like you said.

Jessop's troglodytes seem a bit slow on the uptake. You'd think that while slowly walking on their ledge in pitch darkness it might not have taken them so long to say to themselves, "WTF is that incredibly bright light up there?"

It seemed like the implication was that they were being given a display on purpose, such as in many of the bizarre encounter experiences with entities described variously as extraterrestrials, dwarfs with jump suits, etc.
cptmarginal

Return to General Discussion