Tom Clancy's "EndWar"

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Tom Clancy's "EndWar"

Postby kissing blarney » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:37 am

Has anybody seen the commercials for this new video game? Chilling. I haven't been able to find the exact advertisement they've been showing, but this is close:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/user ... 85107.html
kissing blarney

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby zhivkov » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:11 am

That was indeed chilling-in that 2 mins was there an end of the world scenario that wasn't presented? Maybe they missed a rampaging virus. So odd-for a brief time in history it looked like things just might be ok. The cold war was on of course but colonialism was ending, medical science was making huge success conquering fatal diseases in the developed and non-developed world, we were planning to go to the moon. By the year 2000 everyone was going to have a flying car and vacations on the moon. Then JFK was murdered and all of the subsequent assassinations of the sixties occurred. Now in the actual 21st century all we have are endless stories of endless wars-all of them unjustified and based on phony premises. We have a president with the mind of an eighth grader and people going out of their freaking minds-school shootings, bus beheadings and the good ole phantom clowns are coming back! The gods of our new age are very strange.
"you gave me in secret one thing to perceive, the tall blue starry strangeness of being here at all"-Franz Wright
zhivkov

Postby operator kos » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:06 pm

All Tom Clancy games have pervasive and blatant propaganda. I've been thinking about starting a thread about the whole series, but for now I'll limit my observations to the fact that in End War, WWIII is centered around the consequences of space weapons and peak oil.
operator kos

Postby 8bitagent » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:02 pm

Guys! Check this out:

Ghost Recon: US backed Georgian forces strike Russian forces in Georgia...
in 2008!!!
(this game came out in 2002)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvVZRwlwebo

Check this out, "Shattered Union", from 2005.
The year is 2008, and not long after a heavily disputed presidential election, America is hit by a nuclear terror attack leading to a civil war.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrwmn5agfSc

What's with these games and 2008?
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Re: Tom Clancy's "EndWar"

Postby MinM » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:38 am

Image @TheFilmStage: R.I.P. Tom Clancy, who passed away at the age of 66.

viewtopic.php?p=440094#p440094
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby norton ash » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:54 am

Be merry, my friends, be merry.

Zen horse
norton ash

Postby DrVolin » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:28 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/books ... html?_r=1&

So the Naval Institute Press, which 'doesn't normally publish novels', picks up Hunt for Red October, and Reagan gives it visibility by calling it 'my kind of yarn'. One might be tempted to think the whole thing was a setup. But that would be paranoid conspiracy thinking.
all these dreams are swept aside
By bloody hands of the hypnotized
Who carry the cross of homicide
And history bears the scars of our civil wars

--Guns and Roses
DrVolin

Postby Fresno_Layshaft » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:46 am

DrVolin wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/books/tom-clancy-best-selling-novelist-of-military-thrillers-dies-at-66.html?_r=1&

So the Naval Institute Press, which 'doesn't normally publish novels', picks up Hunt for Red October, and Reagan gives it visibility by calling it 'my kind of yarn'. One might be tempted to think the whole thing was a setup. But that would be paranoid conspiracy thinking.

This?
http://cannonfire.blogspot.ca/2013/09/why-you-read-what-you-read.html
Nothing will Change.
Fresno_Layshaft

Postby Gnomad » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:36 am

There was an old thread on these games:
Starting at this post, goes on to page two - viewtopic.php?p=227632#p227632

Quite a few of the games in the series mirror reality a bit... Many based on Clancy books.
la nuit de tous approche
Gnomad

Postby Laodicean » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:24 am

The Division is inspired by Operation Dark Winter and Directive 51, real-world events which "revealed how vulnerable we've [the United States have] become"; society has become "fragile" and "complex". In the game, a disease that spreads on Black Friday causes the United States to collapse in five days.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_The_Division

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby zangtang » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:19 pm

No. What would be paranoid conspiracy thinking would be to look at the final 3 or 4 novels of Tom Clancy, ghost-written or not,
and comparing and contrasting with the final 3 or 4 novels of Robert Ludlum, back when they were actually written by Ludlum,
and noting not just any similarities in what might be word-fudged as 'progressions of extremism in geopolitical plotlines',
but the authors deaths also.

I haven't actually done that by the way - not because i don't have the time which, blessed be, I do......but
because that would be Paranoid Conspiracy Thinking - which i don't
....do
zangtang

Postby zangtang » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:00 pm

now how did i manage to kill a thread with what, i thought, pretty choice words.

pooh.
sulk.
exits.
zangtang

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:33 pm

I had missed that article before. This jumped out at me:

Before publication, a representative of the Agency told the Writer that they wanted to insert a passage into the manuscript. These paragraphs would describe a piece of advanced technology allegedly in the American arsenal. The Writer had no idea as to whether this purported technological advance was real, although he suspected that the information was bogus.

I seem to remember Phil Dick claiming something similar in about the same time frame and saying that another SF writer he knew took them up on it. I'm pretty sure the writer referred to in this article is not PKD, so perhaps it points to a) PKD's veracity on that particular brush with the gov and b) that maybe this was a larger operation or part of one (Mockingbird?), possibly spanning a number of genres and authors.

Anyways, thank you for the article ( a year or so late, sorry...)
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Return to General Discussion