Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Springsteen

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby chlamor » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:54 pm

MacCruiskeen wrote:Pete Seeger is 89.

Just sayin'.

PS Chlamor, JR is certainly no Obama cultist. That much is surely crystal-clear?

That's not what I was saying.

I was referring to the bit about recognizing the realities of American politics in the context of Obamatronics as reality is the one thing the faithful avoid when immersed in Obama lore.

The irony cuts deeply there.
Liberal thy name is hypocrisy. What's new?
chlamor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Cosmic Cowbell » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Tenth Academic Freeze Out

Is the Boss Lost or is the Prof Lost?

punditman says ...

Punditman sometimes wonders why he didn't become an academic when he could have. Then he finds himself reading some over-the-top poppycock by some ivory towerist, and he is glad he did not join the academy lest he'd be spending his many off hours composing similar feats of mental masturbation. A prime example is this baffling piece on Counterpunch, entitled "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Springsteen," (translation: One People, One Reich, One Springsteen). The author, David Yearsely, draws a direct parallel between Bruce Springsteen's performance at the Super Bowl and the Nazi Party Congress of 1937:

A darkened stadium massed with tens of thousands of fanatics in precise formation, marching in place to patriotic music of the homeland. Powerful searchlights sending their columns up into the inifinity of the night sky in a display seen for miles around and in striking shots from an overhead Zeppelin to be used for propaganda. Nuremberg 1937 and the Nazi Party Congress?

No, it’s Tampa 2009 and the Superbowl halftime show.

As you can see folks, the resemblance is uncanny ;-)

Seriously, Yearsely sees a direct lineage from Nazi architect and Armaments Minister Albert Speers' Cathedral of Light to the modern half-time show. It begs the question: what is with the omnipresent Nazi fixation anyway? Why does everyone reach into their quiver for this broken old arrow whenever they don't like something? "You're a Nazi." "That's fascist." "That's what Hitler would do." When are we ever going to move on?

So there I was some eight days ago, enjoying the half-time show for a change because the stage was given to a great rock n' roll artist whose kick-ass music and socially conscious lyrics have touched millions for decades. How dumb of me and millions of other "plebes" to not realize that "The Boss" was actually in the pay of the Dark Side.
Alas, all fans of low culture, we apparently lack the great insights of the esteemed music professor from Cornell.

Do not misunderstand: Punditman certainly recognizes that the Superbowl -- with all its militarism and jingosim -- is largely superficial capitalist hype heavily laden with American propaganda. You have to be an idiot not to see it. In fact, under his real name, Punditman wrote a piece for Counterpunch back in 2002 that questioned the meaning behind Paul McCartney's song "Freedom" at that Super Bowl. I am certainly not the first to see the propaganda value of the event, and I suspect that's why many don't watch; but let's get our accusations on target, shall we? In this case, why go after Bruce and the lighting crew? Why not go after the symbolism of General David Petraeus ("Betray Us") as the ceremonial coin tosser? That's pure propaganda given his role in the Iraq War. But Bruce Springsteen singing Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out>Born To Run>Working on a Dream>Glory Days? That's high energy, heartland rock n' roll? Why does it have to mean more? Sometimes a guitar is just a guitar and a light show is just a light show. Aren't they?

"Working on a dream" is a new Springsteen song, but for Yearsely, "The Boss’s decision to include the title track from his new album was canny product placement."

A Bruce fan, Yearsely clearly is not.

The good professor, it turns out, has written a book about Bach, and is a performer himself with a new CD out. One wonders, does he not play new material in concert?

Is Yearsely inferring that any musician who performs at the Super Patriotic Bowl is, wittingly or not, an accomplice to the military-industrial complex and fascism? Are "tens of thousands of [football] fanatics" no different than Nazi storm troopers? This thesis may get a passing grade in Music & Culture 101, but Punditman gives it a failed leap-of-logic grade in Philosophy 101. If I was to presume something, I may think that this Springsteen-rock-bashing episode is simply the rantings of a classical music snob, the likes of whom are right up there with jazz snobs (i.e. "Hipsters" - ~C). Everyone else knows you just can't talk to these people about music. But then again, such a presumption would be unfair.

It's a football game. It exists because gamblers bet on it, corporate America wants to sell more junk and some actually like the sport. The half-time show is often the best (or the only part) worth watching -- when the musicians can deliver. But Yearsely says that "mass spectacle is by definition ideological." I find that to be a stretch (the county horse show, pub darts and dragon boat races come to mind), but okay, I will pretend I'm back in Grad school and for sake of argument, say, "Point well taken." But then Yearsely goes seriously off the rails when he hyperbolizes to the 10th degree:

"With one eye on the past and the other on the future, the Superbowl strove to outdo Nazi precedent with the massive effusions of fireworks that punctuated the show at the climax of songs, then finally and orgasmically after Springsteen and co’s twelve minutes were up and the mock referee ran on stage to throw a penalty flag and bring the show to a close. That was when all hell broke loose in a mighty fusillade. With the Nazi imagery clearly in one’s head, the rockets’ red glare was pure Eastern Front."

Nazi imagery clearly in one's head? Well, inside the head of at least one professor with a big imagination -- that much is clear. I can just see the Superbowl planning committee sitting around watching Festliches Nürnberg and trying to figure how to out-do it. Perhaps the issue here is that in the endless search for non-existing inferences, many an acadamic's career can inadvertandly careen into an abyss of obscurity, absurdity, obsolesence and ...see what happens? (are you reading this Hugh?)

Never mind that every rock show since Pink Floyd has used pyrotechnics and has done so for the same simple reason that any fireworks show exists: people like to watch things go boom in the night sky. It's been happening since 12th Century China. Yearsely makes the broad claim that Springsteen and the E-Streeters were faking it along with a pre-recorded tape. But wait, not so fast! While Jennifer Hudson taped the National Anthem and Country star Faith Hill, who sang "America the Beautiful" was also prerecorded (the NFL has asked for prerecordings for pregame performers since 1993), Bruce's vocals were not taped. But in fairness, it does remain unclear whether or not his songs were prerecorded (a common practice for big events with no time for soundchecks when stages have to instantly appear and then quickly disassemble).

Yearsely concludes by saying, "That all must go down exactly as planned in mass public spectacle is something the Nazis understood better than anyone."

Perhaps. But if I was a choreographer, I may feel insulted by the inference.

link
Cosmic Cowbell

Postby OP ED » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:25 pm

Yearsely's article was one of the sillest things i've read so far this year.

Filled with obvious Classism and not-so-subtle crypto-racism. Suprising Hugh didn't notice. Especially after having picked up on it in the Time article from last year.

(not-too-well-hidden negative framing of blackness abounds in the article, terror-fist-bumping-black-power-crypto-islamo-fascism is coming beware! also Vote Republican!)

(Confirmation Bias gets in the way sometimes i guess)
OP ED

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:45 pm

But Bruce Springsteen singing Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out>Born To Run>Working on a Dream>Glory Days? That's high energy, heartland rock n' roll? Why does it have to mean more?

Because it does. (This is desperately anti-intellectual stuff.) Things have meanings, as PR managers noticed long ago. - Exactly what does the word "heartland" mean, for instance, in that context, and in that argument? How is it qualifying the noun "rock 'n' roll"? What's it telling us?

Sometimes a guitar is just a guitar and a light show is just a light show. Aren't they?

No, clearly not. And certainly not in the context of a minutely-planned-and-choreographed Presidential inauguration spectacle.

Hendrix: Star Spangled Banner

ON EDIT:

When I say I hate Springsteen, people often reply: "Ah, but did you realise that Born in the USA wasn't really a patriotic song?" Yes I did, actually, and that's why it's such a failure of a song. If you want to reflect on the human cost of the Vietnam war, then don't set it to music that sounds like you're about to bomb Hanoi and don't stuff your album sleeve and tour programme with more stars and stripes than the Republican National Convention.By claiming he didn't realise that it would be misinterpreted, he was either stupid or perfectly happy to be misunderstood by stadia full of jingoistic yahoos.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... ptotheboss

Music has meanings too.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Cosmic Cowbell » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:27 pm

MacCruiskeen wrote:
But Bruce Springsteen singing Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out>Born To Run>Working on a Dream>Glory Days? That's high energy, heartland rock n' roll? Why does it have to mean more?

You left out the context of the "but"...

"Do not misunderstand: Punditman certainly recognizes that the Superbowl -- with all its militarism and jingosim -- is largely superficial capitalist hype heavily laden with American propaganda. You have to be an idiot not to see it. In fact, under his real name, Punditman wrote a piece for Counterpunch back in 2002 that questioned the meaning behind Paul McCartney's song "Freedom" at that Super Bowl. I am certainly not the first to see the propaganda value of the event, and I suspect that's why many don't watch; but let's get our accusations on target, shall we? In this case, why go after Bruce and the lighting crew? Why not go after the symbolism of General David Petraeus ("Betray Us") as the ceremonial coin tosser?"

MacCruiskeen wrote:Because it does. (This is desperately anti-intellectual stuff.)

Spoken like a true "jazz snob".

MacCruiskeen wrote:Tough titty: things have meanings, as PR managers noticed long ago. - Exactly what does the word "heartland" mean, for instance, in that context, and in that argument? How is it qualifying the noun "rock 'n' roll"? What's it telling us?

The "heartland" in this context, IMO, refers to the NFLs major geographic fan base, right up there with NASCARs. I imagine the selection of Springsteen and his music -comparable in scope to that of Mellencamp, and Seger - known "heartland" idols- was a NFL PR mans wet dream. But no, it has to be "more".

Americans for Hitler

Mac wrote:ON EDIT:

When I say I hate Springsteen, people often reply: "Ah, but did you realise that Born in the USA wasn't really a patriotic song?" Yes I did, actually, and that's why it's such a failure of a song. If you want to reflect on the human cost of the Vietnam war, then don't set it to music that sounds like you're about to bomb Hanoi and don't stuff your album sleeve and tour programme with more stars and stripes than the Republican National Convention.By claiming he didn't realise that it would be misinterpreted, he was either stupid or perfectly happy to be misunderstood by stadia full of jingoistic yahoos.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... ptotheboss

Music has meanings too.

Really!! OMFG!. Thanks for the heads up on that Mac.....
Cosmic Cowbell

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:57 pm

Thanks for that, MacCruiskeen, "...music to bomb Hanoi..."

The photo with his flag background illustrates what I've been pointing at, Rambo with a Telecaster is what Murica sees.

And spooks know that Macho is critical fuel for the Warfare State.

Der Boss has been throwing nationalist gasoline on a fascist fire for years and playing Reagan Rock at the Uber Bowl is typical.
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby chlamor » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:49 pm

Wrote Bruce in his endorsement of Obama::

Like most of you, I've been following the campaign and I have now seen and heard enough to know where I stand. Senator Obama, in my view, is head and shoulders above the rest.

He has the depth, the reflectiveness, and the resilience to be our next President. He speaks to the America I've envisioned in my music for the past 35 years, a generous nation with a citizenry willing to tackle nuanced and complex problems, a country that's interested in its collective destiny and in the potential of its gathered spirit. A place where "...nobody crowds you, and nobody goes it alone."

After the terrible damage done over the past eight years, a great American reclamation project needs to be undertaken. I believe that Senator Obama is the best candidate to lead that project and to lead us into the 21st Century with a renewed sense of moral purpose and of ourselves as Americans.

Over here on E Street, we're proud to support Obama for President.

Yep. The Boss is not only willfully ignorant of America's real historical record (more warmed over American moral purposes anyone?) but is also politically incoherent as he suggests Obama is "head and shoulders above the rest." There were several candidates far superior to Wall St. darling BarackStar and the fact that The Boss didn't know this proves his unyielding ignorance on the matter. Well that's okay I suppose as he is a busy guy but if he's gonna take the time to speak up he oughta take the time to read up and since he did not he should make it a point to shut the fuck up.

But again give credit. Madison Ave. players pulling strings everywhere in the American Hologram. Now if we could only feel warm and fuzzy again in the Imperium. We must at once...

- Reclaim our Democracy

- Renew faith in America

- Return to American values

- Be the America we know we can be

- Return the Constitution to it's rightful place

- Find a new more marketable platitude....

You can't stop living the lie that is America until you stop telling it.

chlamor

Postby parisikov » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:14 pm

Springsteen, Joe Strummer, Pete Singer are all fascist tools.

Are we clear on that? Good.

As a public service, would you and the rest of the priesthood please submit a list of those sonic artists who have not sold out, who have not embodied murderous national and corporate carnage, and who create work that is up to your glorious standards of wisdom, compassion and meaningful change?

Because I'd really like to hear what potent, transformative music sounds like.
parisikov

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Repeat: The op article was brilliant, "dead" on. Wish I'd written it.

It alarms me that sophisticated people at RI would call it "the stupidest" etc. The gulf between us has not been yet been explained.

parisikov wrote:Springsteen, Joe Strummer, Pete Singer are all fascist tools.

Oh please.

As a public service, would you and the rest of the priesthood please submit a list of those sonic artists who have not sold out, who have not embodied murderous national and corporate carnage, and who create work that is up to your glorious standards of wisdom, compassion and meaningful change?

I'd start with Frank Zappa who rocked like nobody else and took fascism on naming names.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/the-torture- ... zappa.html

http://www.metrolyrics.com/when-the-lie ... zappa.html

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/f/frank+zapp ... 57039.html

http://www.lyricstime.com/frank-zappa-m ... yrics.html
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby slimmouse » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:36 pm

John Lennon ?

Bob Marley ?

Heres a hint. Look for the young dead guys.
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby TVC15 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:20 pm

You can bet your ass that if the NFL decided to have Bach organ music at halftime and invited Mr. Yearsley to perform, he would have a different outlook.
TVC15

Postby chlamor » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:30 pm

What an ingratiating and juvenile comment.

There are literally thousands of artists who have not or did not sell out. If you don't know any of them then you might wish to tune out the pop dial for a minute and look around.

Great art will speak truth to power rather than pander and glorify it.

Your slur about "priesthood" implies there is some purity test here which further implies that what we are discussing with 'The Boss' and the Super Drome Spectacle is merely frivolous and somehow okay and only us "perfectionists" see it as otherwise. This same canard is used by the defenders of Obama as if to suggest he is decent but simply not perfect when in fact he is an enemy of the people.
chlamor

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:04 pm

Culture war is real war.

When will the anti-war folks realize it and stop running the ball the wrong way? (to harken to the op)
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby timetunneler » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:22 pm

MYSTERY SOLVED! LOOK NO FURTHER!!!

FOCUS YOUR EYES, MIND AND ENERGY HERE:
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
NAZI NWO ILLUMINATI MASTERMIND
MASTER MAGI OF MINDFUCKS
ARCH PUPPETMASTER OF KINGS, GENERALS AND WAR

THE "BOSS"
Lest this great and salient worldshaking thread from [Chlamor and Friends] get any more unfocused and distracted away from WHO is behind the great ills of our time, let's just lay it out.

Notice the word "Magic" above. Bruce and Magic both have 5 letters. Obama has 5 letters. Pentagrams have 5 sides:

Therefore Obama, and Bruce Springsteen worship Satan which also has 5 letters.

"Magic" Obama Bruce Satan (555->666 ) freemason handshake in front of slobbering Obamabots:

PIXELATED CLOSEUP OF MASONIC RING ON "BOSS'S" RIGHT HAND FROM PIC ABOVE!!!!

Video of Obamabot Orgy to Nuremburg-Inspired Satanic Springsteen Fire-Demon Invocation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk8VZgJk ... re=related
timetunneler

Postby barracuda » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:39 pm

chlamor wrote:Great art will speak truth to power rather than pander and glorify it.

This is an absurd and wrong statement. "Speaking truth to power" has almost nothing to do with the greatness of art. In a comprehensive list of the things that great art will do, "speaking truth to power" probably wouldn't even make it into the top forty. Great art throughout the ages has pandered and glorified power almost as long as there has been great art. There are entire and important and vital forms of art, such as civic architecture and monumental sculpture for example, which as a practical necessity virtually cannot and do not exist outside of the realm of such pandering and glorification. But still, among those disciplines many of the greatest works of art ever created have appeared. And one of those disciplines may include the pop song, whose very existence is dependant upon the capitalist network of radio stations, broadcasting conglomerates, recording companies, distribution outlets, and global communication networks without which those songs would not appear before the public consciousness at all. This is not to say that a pop song has never "spoken truth to power", but to say it has never done so without an incredible amount of pandering within the system having preceeded that speaking. And to say that "speaking truth to power" is definitely not the function of a great pop song. And still, within that form, there have been great works of art. Lots of them.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion