Crop Circles: Could they ALL be made by human action?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby catbirdsteed » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:04 pm

A year or so ago, after having come across the project bluebeam notion again (VERY Cranky!), I began to wonder if cropcircles were in fact ALL human generated, not just the ones obviously stomped out by a few blokes with ropes and boards. Either the media is involved in a tremendous hoax (er, on second thought...), or there are just some -many- of these formations that could never be done by hand and foot.

Once I considered that , it was easy to generate a scenario that would make SOME sense in an occam's razor manner. I finally got around to snope-ing, er, snooping on the web and found a few interesting speculative leads. One is noted below. Look around the site and see if their speculation on the generation of orbs and other "ufo's" seems remotely plausible.

I am a self admitted mystic crank ( with a soft heart), but obviously there often is a rational explanation for numerous "supernatural phenomenon" I once or still believe in. I can be anti woo also, when anti woo is what is called for or needed! I once considered the idea that these fantastic and intriguing acts of vandalism were inspired by some unknown force of human unconsciousness or a trans-dimensional agent or Agent, or something along those lines. As it looks to me now, I doubt it very much.

I am posting this in the spirit of esoteric parapolitical and parascientific threads that have come up here lately in the way of chemtrails, orgone, morgellons and the like (please pardon if this particular subject is old hat around here). Also, because I am curious if other RI'ers have developed similar notions about such phenomenon as the cropcircles, or have any other plausible scenarios regarding where they come from. What they may mean can be better understood if we have a better idea of who authored them.

Disclaimer: In all likelihood, this site has some glaring faults. please point them out if that is your inclination, but I am askin' y'all to consider the overall premise and support or critique it accordingly, not in regards to this PARTICULAR article.

http://www.ovnis.atfreeweb.com/5_crop_circles.htm

It is likely that these geometric designs are due to the firing of an aerial military microwave cannon, piloted by computer. The arguments supporting this view are as follows:

Why Microwaves:

Research by Dr Levengood (of BLT Research Team), an American biophysicist, corroborated by the analyses of Ken Larsen, a British biologist, has shown that the way in which the stalks (wheat, rapeseed…) are flattened without being broken or damaged [p. 25…] is typical of a UHF microwave effect. Thus one can see stalks of rapeseed curving at 90 degrees, the flowers of which are still intact, although those same rapeseed stalks break easily when one attempts to bend them over by hand [p. 151]. The new position taken up by the plant becomes fixed. It continues to grow horizontally [p. 3 and 158] and breaks if one tries to return it to the upright position [p. 140].

Phenomena of electromagnetic origin have been observed at the locations: irregular compass behaviour [p. 172], disturbance of electrical apparatus [p. 44, 60 and 172-173], disturbance of radio frequencies, luminous flashes [p. 34, 52, 65 and 95], cracking sounds [p. 52, 63, 66 and 172-173], animals obviously unwell [p. 65 and 81], dowsing effects [p. 177-178], etc. Numerous positive effects (spontaneous cures, feelings of peace…) or negative effects (temporary paralysis, mental confusion, loss of memory, terror…) have also been observed in humans [LP98]. Let us remember that certain effects could also be explained by a reaction of fertilisers or pesticides subjected to microwave radiation, a reaction which could release toxic gases [LP98, who mentions organic phosphates]. The appearances of luminous flashes and the cracking sounds are not inevitably objective phenomena and they could be only feelings induced in the brain of the witness by an electromagnetic field. Albert Budden gives an example of such magnetophosphenes: "If the brain of the subject is exposed to an [alternating] magnetic field whose frequency varies from 10 to 100 Hz and whose power varies from 200 to 1,000 G, the subject will see flashes of light [...] in the top left corner of his visual field." [AB98 p. 59-60, citing research by L. Ruttan, M. Persinger and S. Koren].

The investigator Busty Taylor showed that samples of plants or ground taken in a crop circle could be attracted by a simple magnet [AB98 p. 50-51]. That could be explained by the fact that the ferromagnetic particles present in the dust of the atmosphere were bound with the site of the circle, after or during its creation. Some of these particles have been scrutinised under microscope. They seemed to have melted when touching the soil or the plants to create a fine cracked glaze.

A bird was found within one particular formation and its body appeared literally to have exploded, as if it had been cooked alive in a microwave oven. In other formations some dried out hedgehogs were discovered [LP98]. Also wheat grains are dehydrated and crunchy. They are less conductive according to work by Dr Levengood.

Microwave laser technology appeared during the 50s and has been improving in keeping with the increasing complexity of the crop circles. Is it a mere coincidence?

More than 50% of the circles observed in England have appeared during cloudy or rainy weather: the cloud cover would allow the origin of the microwave firing to be hidden. Microwaves are able to pass through clouds and act through falling rain, and they are perhaps less damaging to plants when it is raining.

Certain patterns suggest the use of a rotating beam with variable diameter according to the circles in question [PDCA89 p. 156], which might correspond to either the natural or deliberate dispersion of a maser beam, fired from a high altitude. The diameter is estimated to be less than 30 centimetres at a distance of 20 kilometres.

Why by Computer:

The geometric designs observed today are typical of those one can see on computers: 3D designs, fractal designs… Certain patterns are, mathematically speaking, pretty complex (fig. 5-b).

Fig. 5-b: a few of the pictograms observed in England

The designs are drawn very rapidly, by day and by night, sometimes in front of witnesses who report seeing the ears of wheat flattening out in front of them in a few dozens of seconds. Three accounts of this type have been recorded up to the present day, coming from known and trustworthy witnesses [LP98]. Numerous other accounts have come from unfortunately less trustworthy persons.

Why an Aerial Shooting:

There are no traces of access to the sites even when the field is not lined by tractor tracks because the crop is not sprayed, or when the ground is muddy [PDCA89 p. 68, 107, 113 and 155]. We must remember that a field of mature rapeseed cannot be crossed on foot because the plants (as high as 1,50 metres) are tightly interwoven.

There are sometimes broken or burned tree branches directly above the circles [p. 174 and 184].

Why by the Military:

HPM (High Power Microwave) technology is used by the military today for destroying enemy electronic equipment.

President Reagan’s "Star Wars" (SDI) proposed the setting up of various antimissile laser devices. Let us mention only the GBL (Ground-Based Laser), a ground cannon aimed at a reflecting satellite which sends the light beam to a combat satellite mirror, and the SBL (Space-Based Laser) which aims directly at the target. Even if the global project has been abandoned, some of its devices may have been completed on a small scale. The firing can also be carried out from a plane (airborne laser) or a dirigible balloon positioned at a height of 20 kilometres and stabilised for example by ionic propulsion engines. As the reader will appreciate, the necessary technical means appear to be accessible only to the military.

In 1991, a design appeared in front of the country residence of the British Prime Minister John Major, pointing towards the house. Obviously this dwelling was under strict surveillance because of a fear of IRA terrorist acts. What other organisation apart from the secret services would be behind such a design? Numerous crop circles have also been observed in fenced military areas under surveillance.

The military wish to maintain the belief in extraterrestrials and are carrying out psychological warfare tests. They have the means for decoying the observers with fake saucers so that the circles will be attributed to extraterrestrials.

The military secret services are not held back by the risk of killing. Unfortunately the "circles" have already produced one victim: on the 22nd October 1987, as his jet was passing above a crop circle, the pilot ejected and then detached himself from his parachute before hitting the ground [cf PDCA89 p. 104]. Some aerial photographers report that the designs have a noticeable influence on them and on the aircraft controls when it is flying above them.

The British military is co-operating extensively with the American military and may have agreed to the use of "its" land.

The authentic formations have, of course, lead to numerous imitations which were at first rare and clumsy but nowadays are more common and sometimes impressive if the hoaxers have worked as a team for long hours. Competitions have been organised but no hoax has been able to withstand close scrutiny.

In order to distinguish an authentic pattern from a hoax, investigators concentrate mainly on the bending of the plant's stalk at its base, the plant having always to remain unbroken, something which imitators find impossible to achieve as they tread down their design in all directions during its making. Freddy Silva sometimes uses infrared photography on which one must see appear traces of disturbances in the spread of water within the soil if the design has really been created by heat-inducing rays. Debbie Benstead and other researchers often clearly identify a metallic taste in their mouths when they walk within an authentic formation [LP98] which could be due to a residual electromagnetic field interfering with tooth filling inside their mouth.

In 1991, according to research by George Wingfield, the CIA and the British Ministry of Defence secretly persuaded two retired gentlemen, David Chorley and Douglas Bower, to declare that they were the authors of the crop circles that had been observed to date, without providing evidence to support their statement. When this explanation became clearly insufficient, some agricultural students then made their appearance claiming they were making the circles. Now that it is almost admitted that microwaves are involved, are we to see appear in the media a group of scientist hoaxers who make designs in the fields from their telecommunications satellite?

random afterthought cum temp sig line: para-political/par-apolitical?
catbirdsteed

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby freemason9 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:43 pm

Allow me to introduce myself . . . I'm sort of the out-of-synch skeptic on this board. I don't subscribe to UFO sightings as alien craft, for example, because it is more likely that they are terrestrial (and likely military). Besides, advanced life forms traveling hundreds of light years probably have devised a way to be stealthy and unseen. I don't think they would have bright, flashing lights, in any event. That's why I am a UFO skeptic. I'd like to believe otherwise, but I know better. I think, anyway.

Having said that . . . crop circles are most peculiar things. I can't see the logic of the article above, though. The idea that the military would test secret weaponry by making obvious crop circles is counterintuitive. Don't you think? Probably the answer is in the locations. They are popular in England, no? They seem to be generally localized, and appear in manmade cultivated crops, no? That would seem to point to a human source.

You gotta love this board. Some wide-open thinking, lots of innovative subjects, and generally brilliant members.
freemason9

Postby catbirdsteed » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:52 pm

Last week there was an interesting thread regarding military black ops and the variety of patches that were thought to represent such. I was reminded of the deep esoteric symbolism that the military is capable of. I suspect that the "mystical union" of 2012 is all a false flag, or at least is being hijacked to manipulate the populations to some response, (exactly what, I have no idea) and this may be a part of that manipulation.
catbirdsteed

Postby freemason9 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:58 pm

catbirdsteed wrote:Last week there was an interesting thread regarding military black ops and the variety of patches that were thought to represent such. I was reminded of the deep esoteric symbolism that the military is capable of. I suspect that the "mystical union" of 2012 is all a false flag, or at least is being hijacked to manipulate the populations to some response, (exactly what, I have no idea) and this may be a part of that manipulation.

It's the coming of the Age of Aquarius, baby!
freemason9

Postby barracuda » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:03 am

There are no traces of access to the sites even when the field is not lined by tractor tracks...

This is crucial, because I have yet to see a picture of a crop circle in which the field is not lined by tractor tracks or some other fashion which would permit access to the circle by foot. At this point, I could only consider any other hypothesis except foot construction in the case of such a reliable and track-free photograph. Any crop circle which has tractor tread foot access speaks for itself, i.e. it was made by people on foot. If anyone has seen a picture of one in a virgin field, untractored and untrammelled, please post it or a link to it.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:51 am

Phil the centaur used to say he and his mates had made intricate crop circles. Everyone gave him shit about it IIRC.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby catbirdsteed » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:56 am

Barracuda posted:
This is crucial, because I have yet to see a picture of a crop circle in which the field is not lined by tractor tracks or some other fashion which would permit access to the circle by foot. At this point, I could only consider any other hypothesis except foot construction in the case of such a reliable and track-free photograph. Any crop circle which has tractor tread foot access speaks for itself, i.e. it was made by people on foot. If anyone has seen a picture of one in a virgin field, untractored and untrammelled, please post it or a link to it.

A fair request. This is a fair start as numerous of the small and large circles are not connected by tracks to allow untrammeled access. theotetically it would still be possible. but I can't imagine how something like this would not take numerous hours with a large crew and some mid tech equipment, along with numerous hours of intensive calculations and plotting.

There is a lot to indicate that the microwave sub orbital maser cannon theory is bunk. i'll get to that too. there is also a lot to indicate that microwaves are an element, no matter what the source.

http://www.dreamscape.com/morgana/belinda.htm

The Crop Circle Connector

Theories on the Formation of Crop Circles
by Brian Hussey

Forward

The following outline is a summary of theories and working hypotheses regarding the mechanisms of crop circle formation. Bear in mind that there are literally thousands of scientists, mathematicians, researchers, and physicists out there who have heard of crop circle phenomena, harbor their own pet theories about how, why, and by whom these glyphs are produced. Keep an open mind as you scan through the ideas and conjectures. Remember that it is all too easy to grasp for certainty at the beginning of a mystery, and then all too easy to throw criticism at something which does not satisfy all the known facts. We encourage you to enter fully into this enigma, applying everything you know to what is unknown. Think of the whole phenomena as if it were an egg-shape of an ellipse. One focus of the ellipse is common knowledge, the other focus being the mystery.

What is presented here is a synopsis of published findings and theories, and in no way does it pretend to be the final word. One of the interesting epiphenomena around this whole thing is the interactiveness of the formations with what various people are thinking and saying about it. Early on Terrence Meaden went public with his theory of the plasma vortex, and he treated it like a meteorology problem. Just as he had convinced the media and many leading researchers that his theory was correct, the circles began turning into pictograms, more complex, and unfortunately for Dr. Meaden, unexplainable by his vortex theory. Further stories of pattern premonitions and wish fulfillment have been common, but this will not be covered here because we are more interested in building a bridge from conventional science to the crop circle phenomena.

9 Basic Theories: An Overview (Colin Andrews)

1- Whirlwind Vortex
2- Plasma Vortex
3- Earth Energies
4- Extraterrestrial Origin
5- Underground Archaeological
6- Chemical Applications (no longer considered)
7- Hoaxes
8- God Force
9- Military Experimentation

http://www.bltresearch.com/plantab.html

In some crop formations the energy system involved is intense enough to cause bending of this apical (top) node (although pronounced node bending is much more commonly found at the lower nodes on the plant stem). In a few cases we have found severe apical node bending in conjunction with marked stretching of the node. As the example, below, illustrates the node elongation in such cases is clearly in addition to that caused by the bending of the node tissues.

I found this thread from 1998, a reply countering the notion put out there that space based weapons could create the circles.

http://www.hyper.net/ufo/vs/m03-026.html

>You are assuming that the American Government is being totally
>truthful with us. I on the other hand doubt that they are. It
>has been said as far back as the 60's that American Spy
>Satellites had the capability of reading a newspaper over the
>shoulder of a person standing on a street corner.

Time for Mr. Christol to get a physics reality check. Anybody
who said an American spy satellite could read a newspaper
obviously didn't know what they were talking about. Even under
_optimum conditions_ (e.g., no atmospheric distortion), the
maximum angular resolution "A" of a circular aperature imaging
system of diameter "d" imaging a wavelength L is given by A =
1.22*L/d. Furthermore, "A" is also the size of the element you
are trying to resolve, call it "x" divided by the height "h"
that the satellite is above the ground, or A = x/h = 1.2*L/d.
From this, we can calculate that the minimal resolvable size on
the ground is x = 1.22*Lh/d.

Now let's select some _optimal_ numbers for the variables to
give you the best possible resolution (again neglecting such
things as atmospheric turbulence which wreaks havoc with
telescope images, seriously degrading them). Suppose your spy
satellite is only 100 miles (160 km) up, about the lowest
practical distance you can place it without it quickly being
dragged out of orbit by residual atmospheric friction. Suppose
further that "d" is equivalent to the largest current
space-based telescope, namely the Hubble telescope, with an
aperature of 60 inches or about 1 m in diameter. Now choose a
relatively short wavelength of light to again increase
resolution. Let L = 5 * 10^-7 m, the wavelength of blue-green
light.

So even after using all these optimal numbers, we still get x =
10 cm or 4 inches. That represents the width of the elements you
are trying to resolve. Suppose you were trying to make out a
large newspaper headline with the letter "C." Each resolvable
element must be separated by at least 10 cms. So that letter "C"
will have to be at the very least 30 cm or 1 foot tall --
absolute minimum. That's one tall newspaper headline! Such an
optimal system couldn't even resolve ordinary newspaper
headlines much less the actual newsprint on a page.

>Another thing, you seem to assume that they are testing the
>satellite...I on the other hand do not make such an assumption.
>I suggest they are deliberately adding to the UFO lore

The only one here "deliberately adding to the UFO lore" seems to
be Mr. Christol, with his elaborate and almost impossible
theories of fantastic military secret projects somehow
accounting for nearly all UFO reports, and even crop circles.

>by doing this, when in fact it may have nothing to do wiht UFOs. As far
>as risking discovery of the pattern's source, how is that going
>to happen? You don't see a "beam" projecting into the fileds
>from above. You don't see anything.

Here's one way it could happen. An airplane flies into the path
of the potent microwave beam, has it's navigation disrupted, and
crashes. Or how about a slight guidance error, which results in
the microwave beam hitting a populated area instead of some
field. That would get people's attention.

If the military wanted to play with space-based to ground energy
beams, they would test them out in some highly deserted area,
not direct them near populated regions. The danger of
catastrophe is simply too great. And nobody has ever accused the
military of having a delicate, artistic side. Their goal with
powerful weapons is to make things go BOOM, not draw
etch-a-sketch patterns in wheat fields from space using
extraordinarily expensive systems.

>Again, this a purely subjective area of ufology.

No, it's not a purely subjective area of ufology, because Mr. Christol's very
fanciful theories of military secret weapons from space creating crop circles
can be shown to be complete bunk using simple, very basic physical arguments.
"Subjective" would mean that there was insufficient information to resolve the
issue. That's not the case here.

>>>Just how would the UFO project or lay out the pattern? Would
>>>they not have the same capabilities as those mentioned in the
>>>preceeding paragraph?
>
>>Are you suggesting that we may have the same technology as ETs
>>hundreds or thousands of years in advance of our own? I think
>>not. I think there would be far greater and noble uses for such
>>technology if we had it.

>No...I am suggesting that ET's have nothing to to with this at
>all. I am suggesting that it is purely a local phenomena, one
>origionating, not in the depths of space, but from right here on earth.

No, some space based military microwave beam won't work at all,
which becomes much clearer below. Such a project would have to
be absolutely massive in scope, a FACT that Mr. Christol doesn't
seem to grasp.

>I am going to be honest with you Greg. I am not sure there are
>ET's visiting this planet. I am convinced that at least 90 per
>cent of ALL UFO sightings are a result of advanced technology
>produced by someone on this planet, and that it has always been such.

Mr. Christol seems to be pulling more fanciful rabbits out of a
hat. Study after study has shown that 90% (give or take) of ALL
sightings are misidentification of common objects and natural
phenomena. Where did Mr. Christol come up with the figure that
90% are the result of advanced military technology? Who knows?
Perhaps Mr. Christol can cite even ONE study that has shown
this.

>I know this is not a popular point of view, but I have not seen
>any evidence to dispute this.

It's not a popular point of view, because numerous studies have
proven it false. If Mr. Christol hasn't seen any evidence to
dispute this, he simply hasn't been looking. He could start with
something like Blue Book Special Report #14, which does a
statistical analysis of over 2000 UFO reports.

>I know it is popular to blame everything on ET's.

Mr. Christol's strawman argument. Nobody who is in the least
knowledgable about the field "blames everything on ET's."
catbirdsteed

Postby catbirdsteed » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:29 am

It is also this type of effect, seen repeatedly and often much more intricately in other photos got me off of the "boards and ropes" method early on.

http://tutorialblog.org/fake-crop-circles/
Here is a brief description on how to rough out a fake cropcircle photo.
I don't doubt that a convincing one can be made up, but the example shown there doesn't cut it.

then, there are images like this one, where the tractor lines seem to set the alignment for the larger pattern, indicating the possibility of the need for that type of reference in the process of laying it down.

catbirdsteed

Postby Ben D » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:27 am

catbirdsteed wrote:Image

A fair request. This is a fair start as numerous of the small and large circles are not connected by tracks to allow untrammeled access. theotetically it would still be possible. but I can't imagine how something like this would not take numerous hours with a large crew and some mid tech equipment, along with numerous hours of intensive calculations and plotting.

It is not clear exactly what the distance is between the apparent disconnected circles, but it does seem that each circle is within jumping distance from an adjacent one.

Not good enough!
Ben D

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby brainpanhandler » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:25 am

Yes.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby catbirdsteed » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:07 pm

Yes.

granted, How? or by what technique(s)?
The question is posed assuming that they are all done from the ground.
any suggestions?
catbirdsteed

Postby barracuda » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:37 pm

How? or by what technique(s)?

The most important step in the technique is to find a farmer who will let you mess with his field in exchange for money or assured tourist business. Get him to agree to tell the reporters that the circle sprang up in, like, two minutes right before his eyes while orbs circled the field, or some other tale.

Now you and your drinking buddies go buy lotsa rope and maybe find some sticks with pointed ends.

There is not a single pattern on this sheet that couldn't be constructed with just a pencil, a pushpin, and a scrap of string. No computer necessary. After all, that's pretty much how they built the Alhambra in the fourteenth century:

The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby freemason9 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:39 pm

catbirdsteed wrote:

Yes.

granted, How? or by what technique(s)?
The question is posed assuming that they are all done from the ground.
any suggestions?

I suppose they're made by image manipulation, for the most part. I've never seen one personally. Sort of like UFO's.
freemason9

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:30 pm

Seamus OBlimey

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:35 pm

barracuda wrote:The most important step in the technique is to find a farmer who will let you mess with his field in exchange for money or assured tourist business. Get him to agree to tell the reporters that the circle sprang up in, like, two minutes right before his eyes while orbs circled the field, or some other tale.

Was just thinking this...

JackRiddler

Next

Return to General Discussion