Dream Only Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby erosoplier » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:05 am

I dreamed a UFO came. It was very real, but a fleeting dream. It was shaped a bit like a Star Trek ship, but with a huge pointy extension extending out the front towards me and my childhood school friend, who was very anal, and still is, I'm sure.

He was pointing at it, and getting all excited, and turned to me, only to find that I was scornfully giving the UFO the finger.

I felt uncertain about my scorn, but persisted with it anyway, because...because...well, for one thing, my anal friend was so automatically pro this UFO thing. What the hell, I thought - if this was being wrong, then I don’t want to be right...

[Edit: Hmm, I thought this thread was in the lounge...]
erosoplier

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Dream Only Thread

Postby Forgetting2 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:12 am

Was looking for a place to post a dream. Hope it's ok to bring this thread back up.

Some of it may seem fairly obvious.

A number of weeks ago I had a somewhat strange dream. I was at a water-park, but to get to the best ride, the really dangerous one, one had to sort of leave the official park and climb up this hill. It was a brown sandy desert hill with some raggedy desert shrubs and rocks of various sizes here and there, and I was looking for the top, where I believed this special ride was to begin. This was to be the most dangerous ride at the park, and as such was barely acknowledged to exist, hence the lack of signs and guidance, and I was supremely anxious. There were only a few people passing now and I wasn't sure which way to go, and then and I got lost off to the side of this hill, and I got into a brush area and the further I went in that direction, the more tangled up in the ever thickening shrubs I became, until I felt I could barely move, crouched nearly into a ball; every which way I was stabbed by cactus or hopelessly tangled in brush. After a moment I found myself sitting in a little open space, barely enough for me to sit; move too much and I'm stabbed by a cactus. Trying not to panic, I surveyed each direction methodically. I put my left hand on a medium sided quartz like rock and leant over what I thought might be an opening to my left. It's a sheer cliff dropping thousands of feet. The view is spectacular and dizzying; I see a deep valley and snow cover mountains in the distance, but this is no way out. For a moment I entertain it, as I don't want to be trapped with my claustrophobia, but I know I'll simply die if I head out over the edge. I look back to see how I got in, but there appears to be no opening, just the ubiquitous brush and cactus.

Then I notice, near my feet, 3 burnt out candles and I'm filled with hope. It would appear these candles were left by some party and I immediately figure there must be a flat area nearby where they had their party and a trail leading to it. I look to the front and side, but I don't see it. I look again over the abyss scanning left to right and see what might be a clearing, but with no way to get to it. As I'm looking to my left, just below the rock, there is a womb like hole in the side of the black earthen wall, tangled with roots. Inside it is a screaming baby, nearly a newborn, with it's eyes closed and it's skin blackened by the soil. The baby is struggling against the roots and is also covered in some black sucking worms, six to eight inches in length and thicker than a pencil, attached all over it's body, with more attempting to latch on.

My first thought is, shit, those candles weren't for a party, but for a sacrifice, and I think I should leave it and get out of there, but I can't leave the baby there. So I grit my teeth and reach down with my left hand and grab it around the torso and lift it up and the baby is crying and thrashing as I pull the black sucker worms from it's body. I try wiping him off, but the black soil is too deep into his skin.

Now, for the first time, the way I came in can be seen to my right, so I take the baby out, holding him in one hand. As I start walking I'm thinking I need to find someone who can help, an authority like a park ranger or something. Perhaps someone who could explain what was going on. In no small part I would just like an end to this. I see a few people wandering around, presumably looking for the ride, but no one I can talk to. When I look back at the blackened baby in my hand he has shriveled down the form of a little man, about 12 high. Weirdly Gumby looking. He isn't crying anymore but rather flopping about, feeling like he has no bones to support him. He is alive, but in what way I can not tell.

That's all I remember of that one.

One more. An old one, but one which left quite an imprint. The above reminded me of it. Some obvious themes here.

Slogging up a muddy hill of a pasture surrounded by barbed wire, I make my way to the barbed fence. While trying to cross I become hopelessly entangled. Just up the hill is a bull who's watching me and heading my direction. I try to escape but become ever more entangled in the mud and wire. The bull is now moving quickly toward me, just about on me, and I tense up in fear and close my eyes. I can feel the hot, putrid breath on my lips and the wet nose touches me for a second and I'm sure he's just about to take a big chunk out of my face, but nothing happens. When I open my eyes, the bull is staring at me from about 8 inches away and he says to me "Jesus still loves you." And then he leaves.

As a side note, a friend of mine who played with Warren Zevon on his last tour told me he told Warren the "Jesus still loves you" dream, and he told me how much Warren liked it's freakiness. Forget exactly what he said. Have to ask this friend again.
You know what you finally say, what everybody finally says, no matter what? I'm hungry. I'm hungry, Rich. I'm fuckin' starved. -- Cutter's Way
Forgetting2

Postby coffin_dodger » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:56 pm

I rarely remember dreams, but this one was vivid.

Immersed, I was watching a video clip from the future - paradoxically viewed through an old, boxy, square TV set, with an enormously convex screen, almost spherical.

The video was cartoonish in style. Something vaguely human in form - but highly personable - was presenting.

It told the story of the death - and rebirth - of jokes.

It began by cataloguing how jokes had once been a great source of merriment - a mechanism to lighten mood, to convey and simultaneously deny the crass nature of things - translated into laughter. But jokes had a dark side - they were intermingled with mockery, racism, sexism - so many isms.

The presenter continued - jokes had begun to die out in the late 20th century, into the dawn of the 21st - a time of great seriousness - and a time of change. Personally experienced comedy became the rage. It became essential to mock one's own attitudes - for the sake of not only political correctness, but personal inward contentment as well. This made 'joking' an intensely personal experience - rarely shared amongst others in a sociological sense - you had to be there at the gig to 'get' it. Something had been lost that seemed perhaps unnecessary and certainly impossible, to replace.

But then, from nowhere, a new type of joke, something to lift the spirit, began to emerge. A joke that one received almost exclusively as text. Electronically or actually written on paper.

Always, on first reading, appearing as an insolvable riddle or piece of confusing, garbled nonsense. But over time, which could vary from minutes to months, years even - the hitherto hidden meaning of the joke was revealed as the receiver continued to think about what it could mean.

The joy generated at the point of realisation of meaning - a true 'Eureka' moment, with a slap of the forehead and a self-exclamation of 'how could I have missed that?', multiplied and added enormously to the most excellent experience of the joke. They were little parcels of ecstacy, joy and wonderment wrapped in an enigma, always delivering an unprecedented punchline - and the wait (with the surity that it would come to you, it always did) was part of its delicious experience.

Of course, no examples were given in the presentation - I got the feeling it was taken for granted that everyone understood the mechanics of these jokes at that point in time. It felt like a history lesson, maybe aimed at children who were just 'coming of age', so to speak - to be able to appreciate them.

That's all folks!
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:08 pm

Super interesting dream.

While I thought "smash liek" was funny, it could be the kind of thing that is the less wholesome precursor to your prognostic dream examples.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby NeonLX » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:15 pm

Sadly, I don't seem to dream anymore. Or if I do, I'm not remembering them. I used to have some really fantastic dreams with lots of detail that I could remember afterwards.

One of my favorites was that I lived in some arid desert where the humidity was very low. I went inside a building and it was refreshingly cool. I drank a lemonade-like drink that made me feel more contented than I ever have been in real life.

I also had a dream where I was dreaming and woke up from that dream, only to find that I was still dreaming. This happened while I was staying at my great grandmother's place. I had several strange incidents when staying there; some of them were waking and some were dreaming. This would have been 1970-71. I feel almost dizzy trying to remember what happened then and there.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:23 pm

I have reoccurring prognostic dreams about the city. The layout is extremely consistent from dream to dream but is far different from its current state - though I can identify which neighborhood I'm in and certain landmarks, it's built up about 100 years into the future. Most aspects represent fairly realistic urban planning schemes - a broad avenue turned into green space, our current large train station with a major highway running past now turned into a hub for skyways and a "hyperloop"-style transport system suspended fairly high up in the air (dreamt first approximately ten years before Musk's announcement), certain neighborhoods left for decay and reclamation by nature, new cultural districts, etc. I've always marveled at how consistent they are and they've been happening about once per month for about 15 years. I pretty much fully believe that they are some kind of premonition tapping into an alternate reality or future nonlinear time.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby guruilla » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:01 pm

coffin_dodger » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:56 pm wrote:I rarely remember dreams, but this one was vivid.

Immersed, I was watching a video clip from the future - paradoxically viewed through an old, boxy, square TV set, with an enormously convex screen, almost spherical.

The video was cartoonish in style. Something vaguely human in form - but highly personable - was presenting.

It told the story of the death - and rebirth - of jokes.

It began by cataloguing how jokes had once been a great source of merriment - a mechanism to lighten mood, to convey and simultaneously deny the crass nature of things - translated into laughter. But jokes had a dark side - they were intermingled with mockery, racism, sexism - so many isms.

The presenter continued - jokes had begun to die out in the late 20th century, into the dawn of the 21st - a time of great seriousness - and a time of change. Personally experienced comedy became the rage. It became essential to mock one's own attitudes - for the sake of not only political correctness, but personal inward contentment as well. This made 'joking' an intensely personal experience - rarely shared amongst others in a sociological sense - you had to be there at the gig to 'get' it. Something had been lost that seemed perhaps unnecessary and certainly impossible, to replace.

But then, from nowhere, a new type of joke, something to lift the spirit, began to emerge. A joke that one received almost exclusively as text. Electronically or actually written on paper.

Always, on first reading, appearing as an insolvable riddle or piece of confusing, garbled nonsense. But over time, which could vary from minutes to months, years even - the hitherto hidden meaning of the joke was revealed as the receiver continued to think about what it could mean.

The joy generated at the point of realisation of meaning - a true 'Eureka' moment, with a slap of the forehead and a self-exclamation of 'how could I have missed that?', multiplied and added enormously to the most excellent experience of the joke. They were little parcels of ecstacy, joy and wonderment wrapped in an enigma, always delivering an unprecedented punchline - and the wait (with the surity that it would come to you, it always did) was part of its delicious experience.

Of course, no examples were given in the presentation - I got the feeling it was taken for granted that everyone understood the mechanics of these jokes at that point in time. It felt like a history lesson, maybe aimed at children who were just 'coming of age', so to speak - to be able to appreciate them.

That's all folks!

This would be an interesting dream at any time, but it's doubly so since I read it right after this exchange on Twitter:

lethaljoke.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Postby coffin_dodger » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:49 pm

Cue Twilight Zone music.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby Nordic » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:09 am

Would anyone happen to know, or have any ideas, as to interpreting a dream where the person dreaming is cutting off his own foot? With a saw. Without much pain but the growing realization that perhaps it's s mistake that cannot be rectified and he has already very likely made a terrible mistake?

Asking for a friend.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Morty » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:16 am

I don't think it's necessarily a bad dream at all. Most likely it's just a confirmation that the dreamer is parting ways with something that has heretofore been part and parcel of his identity, and the newness of the situation is causing him to question whether his judgement is sound.
Morty

Postby Elvis » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:52 am

Nordic » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:09 am wrote:Would anyone happen to know, or have any ideas, as to interpreting a dream where the person dreaming is cutting off his own foot? With a saw. Without much pain but the growing realization that perhaps it's s mistake that cannot be rectified and he has already very likely made a terrible mistake?

Asking for a friend.

Is the dreamer about to get married? or face some other life-altering choice? I would take an inventory. To me, the interpretation seems to be contained in the bolded part above. Maybe involving a loss of freedom, or mobility etc.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Searcher08 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:21 am

Nordic » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:09 am wrote:Would anyone happen to know, or have any ideas, as to interpreting a dream where the person dreaming is cutting off his own foot? With a saw. Without much pain but the growing realization that perhaps it's s mistake that cannot be rectified and he has already very likely made a terrible mistake?

Asking for a friend.

I has a search and thought there were some helpful ideas in here...
http://www.auntyflo.com/dream-dictionary/amputation

Also, the unconscious seems to love punning, so "saw - tool" may relate to "saw- visually perceived"

Some thoughts that came to mind:
What was happening in the background of the dream (Foreground / Background reversal principal)?
The use of the word 'perhaps' indicates the mistake 'may' be capable of rectification; similarly with
'likely' made a terrible mistake
indicating it isnt a done deal.

@Coffin_dodger
That was EPIC! :)
Have you ever read the Robert Monroe book where he talk about the reason for large number of UFO sightings? They are here to harvest.... jokes. Humour is apparently a very rare quantity in the rest of the galaxy and the current Earth time / space is like a massive humour mining operation.

My most recent dream:
I launch a business website that does very well and end up being interviewed on TV - and some person from the White House sees it and quickly offers me a job - as Donald Trump's PA. I take the job and he subscribes to RI, where he annoys slad by posting 'high energy' tweets under her posts :lol2:
Everything is going well till he starts hanging out with a 17yr old Nu Yawk Audrey Hepburn - alike ingenue. The Donald disappears for days at a time - pretending to be a Democrat Donald Trump impersonator, a ruse which fools everyone except me and slad... - leaving me, who has absolutely no idea what to do in charge,
with his parting words.
"Just run things like I would".
Last edited by Searcher08 on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Searcher08

Postby semper occultus » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:36 am

pretty much what happened between Jeff and the mods...
semper occultus

Postby Searcher08 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:49 am

semper occultus » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:36 pm wrote:pretty much what happened between Jeff and the mods...

:mrgreen:
Searcher08

Postby brekin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:16 pm

Elvis wrote:
Nordic » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:09 am wrote:Would anyone happen to know, or have any ideas, as to interpreting a dream where the person dreaming is cutting off his own foot? With a saw. Without much pain but the growing realization that perhaps it's s mistake that cannot be rectified and he has already very likely made a terrible mistake?
Asking for a friend.

Is the dreamer about to get married? or face some other life-altering choice? I would take an inventory. To me, the interpretation seems to be contained in the bolded part above. Maybe involving a loss of freedom, or mobility etc.

I had a series of dreams where my teeth were falling out. It got progressively worse, huge chunks of flesh hanging off of them. I did a little research and roughly losing ones teeth can come from a sense of feeling old, losing control, mortality concerns, etc. This was happening to me, though, not something I was doing to my teeth.
I would guess that "cutting off a piece of yourself" is doing something that may be related to the sense that the person is doing something that is cutting them off from life, from what is important, what they need. That they realize they have made a mistake is recognition that they already know this, at some level.

But sometimes dreams aren't so much the subconscious talking in images, but an actual specific issue. Could be something directly leg related. Like being pre-diabetic or diabetic but still having a diet that could cause someone to have their leg amputated for example.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion