another 9 11 -- the killing of aldo moro

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: another 9 11 -- the killing of aldo moro

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Sounder » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:46 am wrote:But what I do not understand is how can the membership not see that what they propose to do can only help the right, and worse yet, the imperial powers?

Or to transfer to present day, how can people not recognize that unrestrained immigration can only increase support for the right-wing?

Here's a better analogy for the present day: how can leftists not recognize that using the democratic process to undermine a pro-corporate, hawkish candidate purporting to be a liberal in favor of the right-wing candidate in the hopes that the country will respond to the tyrannical aspects of a right-wing government in the next election cycle by putting a leftist in office never works, at least in the USA? The obvious historical precedent is the Yippies using the Democratic convention in Chicago as a rallying point to undermine the "liberal" legitimacy of Hubert Humphrey. IIRC, they calculated having Nixon in charge would be so repressive for Americans that not wanting him four years later, or another LBJ wannabe on the other side, the majority would embrace a lefty like McGovern. We saw how that worked then. Have we changed that much? Ask me again in 2020.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Previous

Return to General Discussion