Animal Uprising Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Animal Uprising Thread

Postby Maddy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:02 am

(Dog ownership is a responsibility all the way around - like any animal, or children - or you know, being human.)
Be kind - it costs nothing. ~ Maddy ~
Maddy

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:56 am

82_28, the battle at Kruger is a classic. It's like a war between nations. I would show it in high school classrooms if I had access to classrooms, which, perhaps thankfully, I do not.

Who is in the right in this situation?

Which group is the aggressor, and which the victim?

Do we approve of the alligator when it tries to bite the lion cub, while the family of lions are trying to drown and asphyxiate the buffalo calf, even though it ends up biting the calf? Do we side with the buffalo herd when they catch and trample a lion cub, as a group?

If so, why?

And what role do the observers play? And why won't they be quiet? (On Edit: They weren't as annoying as I remember - actually, their commentary is kind of needed).

It's an incredible piece of nature film where, remarkably, despite the kind of massed charges not seen since Waterloo, nothing dies.

On a sidenote, I heard about some angry Orca's not long ago.
"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:44 pm

Farmer trampled to death by cows in front of his daughter

A farmer has been trampled to death by his own cows as his daughter looked on.
John Leslie Ward, 67, was working with his daughter on their Sheffield farm trying to put identity tags onto calves in a barn when he was attacked by the animals.

Mr Ward's 21-year-old daughter Katie said her father was thrown into the air by a bull as he attempted to tag the calves. When he landed on the ground, a cow, whose calf Mr Ward had been tagging, began stamping on him. Miss Ward then dragged her father away from the animals and dialled 999 before ringing her uncle, who lives on the same lane in Ridgeway, pleading for help. Miss Ward, who has had to continue to feed the cattle including the bull and cow which killed her dad, said her father, known as Les, lived for his farm. She said: 'It was his life - he worked every hour there was. 'What happened is all a blur. It happened so fast.

'We were in the shed together tagging the calves. A bull came up to him and nudged him and then threw him into the air. 'That's when the mother started on him. All I remember is her jumping on him all over. I know she had all her feet on him. 'I managed to get a stick and get her off him and then rolled then rolled and called an ambulance.'

Miss Ward's uncle Roger Bradley, 65, said: 'I have known Les all my life - he used to be married to my wife's sister. 'His daughter rang me to say he had been trampled and when I got to the farm he was laid face down. He was alive but couldn't speak. 'Katie had managed to get the cows off him and rang for help. He was black and blue but still breathing but by the time the ambulance arrived it was too late. 'I helped by doing chest compressions but I was told the finest doctor in the world couldn't have saved him - his chest was completely smashed to pieces.

'He used to work every hour there was and when he reached 65 I told him he should give up and just keep a few cows to potter about with because his dream was to go to America for two or three months and follow the combines working from the south of the country to the north. 'But he could not give the farm up - it was his total life.'

A Health and Safety Executive spokeswoman said: 'We have been made aware of this incident by the police and health and safety inspectors have been out to the site and are assisting the police with their investigation.'

Mr Ward had lived on the farm since he was a child. He started working as a milkman before growing his own potatoes, which he used to sell on his round. After selling his milk business he bought more land, invested in animals and began farming full time.

An inquest into his death is expected to be opened by the Chesterfield coroner on Tuesday.

http://tiny.cc/djnze
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Simulist » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:59 pm

Mr Ward's 21-year-old daughter Katie said her father was thrown into the air by a bull as he attempted to tag the calves. When he landed on the ground, a cow, whose calf Mr Ward had been tagging, began stamping on him.

Something tells me that Mr. Ward would have been inclined to do the exact same thing, had someone like himself been tagging Mr. Ward's 21-year-old daughter.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:20 pm

I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to have the bull around for such events at any rate, so I wondered why he did. Cows are more interesting than most of us would imagine.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Nordic » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:24 pm

Yeah, why was the bull even in the same pen? Bulls are fucking dangerous as hell. I've been on farms in my family enough to know this.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Avalon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:14 am

Simulist wrote:
Mr Ward's 21-year-old daughter Katie said her father was thrown into the air by a bull as he attempted to tag the calves. When he landed on the ground, a cow, whose calf Mr Ward had been tagging, began stamping on him.

Something tells me that Mr. Ward would have been inclined to do the exact same thing, had someone like himself been tagging Mr. Ward's 21-year-old daughter.

Very likely her ear already is tagged, and may have been done when she was a child. We just use earrings instead of tags.
Avalon

Postby Simulist » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:46 am

Avalon wrote:
Simulist wrote:

Very likely her ear already is tagged, and may have been done when she was a child. We just use earrings instead of tags.

There is undoubtedly a lot of truth in that.

But I'd certainly protest — and so would Mr. Ward — if someone presumed to "tag" his daughter of their own volition.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Avalon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:06 pm

I'm not a big fan of parents owning their children and putting holes in them that weren't there before or lopping off bits when the children can't consent. Sometimes I feel like stomping parents who did that myself. I guess I'm an animal too.
Avalon

Postby Simulist » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:11 pm

Avalon wrote:I'm not a big fan of parents owning their children and putting holes in them that weren't there before or lopping off bits when the children can't consent. Sometimes I feel like stomping parents who did that myself.

No disagreement here.

Avalon wrote:I guess I'm an animal too.

We all are.
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby hava1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:41 am

same reports here in israel. wondering if this is real or some psyops code.?

3 cases reported this weekend on wilding attacking wolves, jackals and so forth. ??
hava1

Postby 82_28 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:11 pm

Elephant kills trainer at Pennsylvania circus

(CNN) -- Tragedy struck at a Pennsylvania circus Friday after a startled elephant stomped its trainer to death, police said.

People at the Irem Shrine in Wilkes-Barre, which has been hosting the James Hamid Circus all week, rushed to help but not before the trainer sustained life-threatening injuries, said police Lt. Steven Oshefski.

It was unclear what spooked the elephant, but the pachyderm was calmed by those on the scene.

The victim is not being identified until next-of-kin have been notified, Oshefski said.

The incident was classified as a workplace accident and the investigation has been turned over to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

A balloon vendor at the circus told CNN affiliate WBRE that the death was shocking.

"In the 30 years I've been doing my vending, I've never heard an animal killing their trainer and all," said Ed Conrad. "So something must have happened."

Oshefski said the elephant came into contact with electrical wires, but it was unclear what exactly startled the animal.

Animal rights activists decried the use of animals in circuses.

"It should come as no surprise that elephants and other animals sometimes snap and attack circus employees and members of the public," said Robbyn Brooks of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).

"PETA has obtained shocking photos and video of circus trainers as they beat elephants and subject them to violent training methods using barbaric devices such as bullhooks," Brooks said.

Circus members observed a moment of silence for the elephant handler who died, WBRE reported. The circus, however, made a decision almost immediately after the death that the performance would go on.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/04/10/ci ... ef=edition
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby beeline » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:54 pm

Link

Animal group: Dumbo’s handler’s death no accident

By Joseph A. Gambardello

Inquirer Staff Writer

An animal protection group is challenging a Pennsylvania coroner's finding that the death of a circus animal handler when he was kicked by an elephant was an accident.

The California-based In Defense of Animals, which opposes keeping elephants in captivity, sent a letter to Luzerne County Coroner John Corcoran arguing that Dumbo, an African elephant, intended to kick Andrew Anderton, 48, at the Irem Shrine Circus in Wilkes Barre on Friday.

Corcoran's office said it had received the letter but that he had not read it yet.

In the letter, the IDA quotes elephant expert Joyce Poole as saying, "Dumbo may not have intended to kill her keeper with her kick, but she certainly intended to kick him."

"With a body weighing six tons elephants are extremely careful and rarely do anything by accident," Poole is quoted as saying. "They have superior sense of hearing, an incredible sense of smell and they are able to detect minute vibrations via their feet. Dumbo would have known that Anderson was approaching her from behind; she would have been able to smell, feel and hear him."

An e-mail was sent to Poole, who is based in Africa, seeking additional comment.

The letter signed by IDA's executive director Catherine Doyle said removing elephants from the wild and keeping them chained and in confined spaces away from contact with other elephants creates "a great deal of stress."

That stress, in turn, sometimes results in fatal attacks on humans, the organization said.

In asking Corcoran to revisit the case, the IDA said his finding of accidental death sends a message that "such occurrences are mere accidents, which lulls the public into a false sense of security."

"In fact, this was not an accident or isolated incident, and it is important the public understands this before deciding to attend circuses that use wild animals to perform and give rides," the group said.

The IDA said that since 1990 elephants have been blamed in the deaths of at least 14 people and for injuring more than 135 others in the United States.
beeline

Postby 82_28 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:34 pm

There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:08 pm

Pig wrestling canceled after porkers elude capture

GREAT FALLS, Mont. (AP) - A pig wrestling competition at a county fair in northern Montana has been canceled after the porkers eluded fair officials trying to round them up for the event.

Fair office manager Shirley Embleton says the wild pigs spend the year on a 10-mile free-range property along the Marias River and about 30 are captured the Friday of the scheduled event.

But this year, fair officials were only able to locate one boar, despite flying the river. The event was postponed until Saturday, but neither the landowner nor fair officials could locate the absent pigs.

Embleton says next year, organizers will devise a new plan to locate and capture the animals earlier in the week.

http://www.9news.com/news/watercooler/a ... &catid=337

Run guys! Run!
82_28

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion