Animal Uprising Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Animal Uprising Thread

Postby Nordic » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:38 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... burbs.html

Drunk baboons plague Cape Town's exclusive suburbs

Groot Constantia, in the heart of Cape Town's wine country, can deal with inebriated holidaymakers – but it is invading baboons which have developed a taste for its grapes that the wine makers are struggling with.

Each day, dozens of Cape Baboons gather to strip the ancient vines – the sauvignon blanc grapes are a particular favourite – before heading into the mountains to sleep. A few, who sample fallen fruit that has fermented in the sun, pass out and don't make it home.

"They are not just eating our grapes, they are raiding our kitchens and ripping the thatch off the roofs. They are becoming increasingly bold and destructive," said Jean Naude, general manager at the vineyard, which is celebrating its 325th birthday this year. Guards banging sticks and waving plastic snakes have been deployed with only limited success, and not even a blast of a vuvuzela, the plastic horn made famous at the World Cup, seems to frighten them.
It is not just the vineyards in South Africa which are under siege, however, but also the exclusive neighbouring suburb of Constantia, home to famous residents including Earl Spencer, Wilbur Smith and Nelson Mandela.

Crisis meetings between animal welfare groups and traumatised locals are struggling to find a workable solution.

"Where there's a mountain, there's a baboon," said Justin O'Riain of the Baboon Research Unit at the University of Cape Town. "As we take up more and more of their land, the conflict increases."

The baboons lived in the mountains of Cape Town long before humans took up residence, but development has forced the unlikely neighbours into increasingly closer contact.

Before laws afforded baboons a protected status a decade ago, troublesome animals were regularly killed or maimed by home owners and farmers. Now around 20 full-time "baboon monitors" are employed to protect them and guide them away from residential areas. It has proved mission impossible. Last week, a 12 year old boy was left traumatised after confronting a troop who had broken into his family home.

Hearing noises from the kitchen, he went to investigate and found the beasts ransacking cupboards. When the child fled upstairs to find his babysitter, three males gave chase and surrounded him as he made a tearful phone call to his mother, while the animals pelted him with fruit.

"When he called me he was terrified. They had him surrounded," said the Constantia housewife, who did not wish to be identified.

Chickens, geese, peacocks and even a Great Dane dog have been killed in recent weeks by the marauding baboons - the males have huge and terrifying canine teeth. Roof tiles, electric fences, orchards and vegetables gardens have been trashed.

"Lunch parties in the garden are now just impossible," a homeowner complained. "It is so unrelaxing. Rather than chatting over our meal, we are looking over our shoulders and bolting the food as quickly as we can before it is stolen. We can't even leave a window open in summer. We are under siege."
In a concession to despairing residents, wildlife authorities have begun collaring baboons identified as "troublesome" and imposed a strict "three strikes" policy whereby animals which repeatedly break into homes are humanely destroyed.

Fourteen year-old William, a large male known officially as GOB03, who had terrorised the coastal suburb of Scarborough for as long as anyone can remember, was the first to fall foul of this controversial rule.

His death last month was greeted with outrage and jubilation in equal measure and dominated the letters pages of the local newspapers for weeks.
Meanwhile, For Sale signs are sprouting up in suburbs with baboon populations. Families which have lived in the same house for generations are giving up, moving away to get away from their animal tormentors.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby 82_28 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:36 pm

Crocodile on plane kills 19 passengers

* Crocodile escapes from carrier bag
* Creature causes on board stampede
* Plane tips, then crashed into house

A STOWAWAY crocodile on a flight escaped from its carrier bag and sparked an onboard stampede that caused the flight to crash, killing 19 passengers and crew.

The croc had been hidden in a passenger's sports bag - allegedly with plans to sell it - but it tore loose and ran amok, sparking panic.

A stampede of terrified passengers caused the small aircraft to lose balance and tip over in mid-air during an internal flight in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The unbalanced load caused the aircraft, on a routine flight from the capital, Kinshasa, to the regional airport at Bandundu, to go into a spin and crash into a house.

A lone survivor from the Let 410 plane told the astonishing tale to investigators.

Ironically the crocodile also survived the crash but was later killed with a machete by rescuers sifting through the wreckage.

British pilot Chris Wilson, 39, from Shurdington, near Cheltenham, Glocs was acting as the plane's first officer alongside Belgian pilot Danny Philemotte, 62, who was owner of the plane's operator Filair.

The plane smashed into an empty house just a few hundred metres from its destination.

"According to the inquiry report and the testimony of the only survivor, the crash happened because of a panic sparked by the escape of a crocodile hidden in a sports bag,” news organisation Jeune Afrique reported.

"One of the passengers had hidden the animal, which he planned to sell, in a big sports bag, from which the reptile escaped as the plane began its descent into Bandundu.

"The terrified air hostess hurried towards the cockpit, followed by the passengers."

The plane was then sent off-balance "despite the desperate efforts of the pilot", said the report.

"The crocodile survived the crash before being cut up with a machete."

The plane was a Czech-made Let L-410 Turbolet, one of more than 1,100 produced as short-range transport aircraft and used mainly for passenger services.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/croc ... 5942045322
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:00 am

http://www.ktvu.com/news/25714385/detail.html

Posted: 9:33 pm PST November 9, 2010Updated: 10:41 pm PST November 9, 2010
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- An Alameda woman was receiving rabies shots as a precaution after being attacked by five raccoons over the weekend during an ordeal she described as like something out of a horror movie.

The Sunday night raccoon attack in Alameda’s Washington Park was not the first such incident, according to wildlife officials.

The attack on Rachel Campos was the ninth since June and the worst so far as the victim found herself fighting off five raccoons while she walked her dog.

“I knew it was a bite, but I don't remember pain,” remembered Campos. “I was just screaming bloody murder: ‘Help me! Help me! Help me!’”

Campos said she felt lucky that she escaped with just one bite and that her terrier Doogie wasn't hurt. It was the dog’s barking that brought on first one raccoon and then an entire pack.

“The other four dropped out of these trees somewhere and all started to run after us,” said Campos. “And then I tripped. Once I fell down, I was worried I wouldn't be able to get them off me, and I was screaming at the top of my lungs.”

County officials know thousands of raccoons are in trees and storm drains, emerging at night to search for food which is plentiful in garbage cans and pet dishes.

Surveillance cameras and calls for service in the area reveal an exploding population. Raccoons are getting more territorial and less afraid of people.

“It's Bay Area wide, but Alameda is a unique situation because it's landlocked,” said Daniel Wilson of Alameda County Vector Control. “So when their population increases, they can't expand out.”

In the attacks that have happened across Alameda since June, nine people have been bitten, usually while trying to save their pets.

At Washington Park, it seemed everyone KTVU spoke with has had run-ins with raccoons.

“They're like rats,” said Alameda resident and dog owner Robert Call. “We've had them climbing in through our doggie door and rummaging through things in the kitchen.”

Campos said she was receiving a series of rabies shots as a precaution after being bitten by the raccoon.

“It was definitely like something out of a horror movie,” said Campos.

While she said she will carry pepper spray in the future to protect herself, she wants officials to do something to reduce raccoon numbers.

“I wouldn't want this to happen to an older person who wouldn't be able to get away, or have somebody fall and really get hurt,” said Campos. “It's not a safe situation.”

Officers said they were going to try to trap the raccoons in this park. But since euthanizing the animals isn't popular, experts said getting rid of any food sources is the best option to reduce the current number of pests.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby norton ash » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:48 am

Campos said she felt lucky that she escaped with just one bite and that her terrier Doogie wasn't hurt. It was the dog’s barking that brought on first one raccoon and then an entire pack.

Way to go, Doogie. Some terrier. Those raccoons knew you were a joke and were planning to eat you.

You're a disgrace to dogs.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby nathan28 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:02 pm

norton ash wrote:

Way to go, Doogie. Some terrier. Those raccoons knew you were a joke and were planning to eat you.

You're a disgrace to dogs.

It was an inside job.
„MAN MUSS BEFUERCHTEN, DASS DAS GANZE IN GOTTES HAND IST"

THE JEERLEADER
nathan28

Postby slomo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Those Bay Area raccoons are pretty tough. I had my own run-ins with them back when I lived there. Definitely not to be messed with.
slomo

Postby Simulist » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:46 pm

I grew up in the Bay Area. One year, as I was driving back home through the redwoods, I saw a roadside petting zoo of sorts, and stopped in. One of the raccoons picked my pocket, and tried to steal my keys! They are amazing little creatures. And probably very formidable.

(Even though they're so cute!)
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby slomo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:48 pm

Simulist wrote:I grew up in the Bay Area. One year, as I was driving back home through the redwoods, I saw a roadside petting zoo of sorts, and stopped in. One of the raccoons picked my pocket, and tried to steal my keys! They are amazing little creatures. And probably very formidable.

(Even though they're so cute!)

Hah, I went backpacking once on the coast, and they fricking stole my oatmeal breakfast packets right out of my backpack!
slomo

Postby justdrew » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:45 pm

Turkeys terrorize New York neighborhood
Nov. 10, 2010

NEW YORK, Nov. 10 (UPI) -- Residents of a New York neighborhood said aggressive turkeys are terrorizing the area.

Locals in the Ocean Breeze neighborhood said the fowl have been blocking traffic, filling their yards with droppings and even trapped resident Gina Guaragno in her car for a short time before she splashed them with window washing fluid, the New York Daily News reported Wednesday.

Residents said the turkey trouble began about 10 years ago after a woman released her nine pets, and the state Department of Environmental Conservation estimates there are now about 100 of the wild birds in the neighborhood.

City Councilman James Oddo said many area seniors have told him they are afraid to leave their homes. He said officials balked at a plan he forwarded two years ago to move the turkeys upstate.

"How are people supposed to have faith that their government can deal with problems like terrorism when we can't even deal with turkeys?" Oddo said.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:54 pm

Seamus OBlimey

Postby norton ash » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:23 pm

Breaking! Bull jumps into crowd at Edmonton rodeo, injuring 4. Video at link.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/ ... ntoNewHome

Beef bites back.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby beeline » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:40 am

justdrew wrote:

"How are people supposed to have faith that their government can deal with problems like terrorism when we can't even deal with turkeys?" Oddo said.

Well, first our elected leaders would have to initiate a wild turkey committee. Once the committee drafted a bill, that bill would first have to pass the House with a 2/3 majority. Keep in mind that the various turkey lobbyists (turkeys are a huge industry, especially in November) from K Street would barely allow this bill to get out of committee, so there's that fight. If the bill gets out of committee and passes the House, there's still the hurdle of getting is past the Senate, and I have it on good authority that there are many pro-turkey senators. So it's an uphill fight there. And who knows where Obama stands on turkey. He could sink the whole deal with the stroke of a pen.

Then there's the whole bourbon lobby to deal with:

beeline

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:36 pm

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=13492232

WASKOM, TX (KLTV) - A Harrison County man in his 60's has been killed by his pet deer.

Officials say 67-year-old Gerald Rushton was raising a European Red Stag on his property along with other animals.

As Rushton was entering the stag's pen to feed it, the 550 pound animal became aggressive, charged and pinned Rushton against a fence. Investigators say Rushton was gored several times and trampled.

The red stag was killed so rescuers could get to Rushton, but they say he was already dead.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Laodicean » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:46 am

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby matrixdutch » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:21 pm

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/aggress ... d-victims/

Aggressive Sharks Pose New Danger for Australian Flood Victims

A new horror for the unfortunate victims of Australia’s widespread flooding (a submerged area the size of France and Germany combined) is news that several dangerous creatures are floating in the waters around them. Officials are warning residents of Brisbane, the country’s second-largest city, to avoid venturing into the flood waters as aggressive bull sharks have been spotted swimming through the streets.

One man now camped out on his rooftop told BBC News that he watched as one swam past his home Friday. “It was a bull shark and it was spotted in a local suburban street,” Rob Minshull said. “We do have sharks in the Brisbane River; they have obviously come over the flood barriers and come looking for food.”

A local butcher spotted two sharks swimming near his local shop in Goodna and another pair of bull sharks were spotted swimming past a local McDonald’s restaurant.

The sharks apparently ventured several kilometers from the river, the Queensland Times reported.

Bull sharks are the third most likely shark to attack a human being. They are noted for their aggressive behaviour and often swim in shallow waters along coasts and rivers. …

Goodna was awash with water eight metres deep during the past 48 hours. The water receded dramatically overnight.

Police evacuated people from a large area of Goodna as large quantities of flammable gas spewed into the air yesterday.

Police said significant amounts of fuel had leaked into floodwaters from ruptured underground storage tanks at petrol stations near the St Ives shopping centre.
Our truth consists of illusions that we have forgotten are illusions - Nietzsche
matrixdutch

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion