Animal Uprising Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Animal Uprising Thread

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue May 03, 2016 11:41 am

Have we asked why the animals are uprising?

Here's one reason:

Man faces cruelty charges after 143 alpacas found dead
Published 7:39 am, Monday, May 2, 2016

MARATHON, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities say a man has been charged with animal cruelty after an investigation uncovered more than 140 alpacas had died on a central New York farm over several months.

Dayton Wood was arrested on Friday and is charged with 143 counts of overdriving, torturing and injuring animals, and failure to provide proper sustenance.

Wood had been a paid care taker for the animals at the farm in Marathon, 40 miles south of Syracuse.

The Cortland Community SPCA says investigators had been tipped off that there were dead alpacas at the farm.

Authorities didn't say how the animals died.

Wood has been released on his own recognizance and is due in court next week. It wasn't immediately known if Wood has an attorney who could comment on the charges.

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Man-faces-cruelty-charges-after-143-alpacas-found-7387407.php
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 pm

SonicG » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:41 pm wrote:
MacCruiskeen » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:51 pm wrote:Marx: "The exact moment when the working class achieves self-awareness":

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/Cb0hvBYW0AAYn0g.mp4

"Orangutans of the world - Relax!!" - Not-Marx

That makes uncanny viewing. I had never seen an animal - even a primate - tying a knot before. And with such speed and dexterity! If you focus on the arms alone, its movements are practically undistinguishable from a human's. (Orang utan = "[hu]man of the forest") But it's not just the execution, it's the planning, and the ability to learn instantly from mistakes.

(As more than one person asks, in the comments at YouTube: Why is a creature this intelligent confined to a jail?)

I just bought this book yesterday; it's funny and moving, it makes an unanswerable case, and it's full of fascinating stories:

Jeffrey Masson is a good man.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed May 04, 2016 2:27 pm

Yes, Mac, it was amazing to me, too, to see the great ape tie a knot so effortlessly.

Elephants are amazing and emotional creatures. The photograph below was pasted to FB on 2 Jan. 2016.

Iamwhomiam

Postby 82_28 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:21 am

Elephant kills woman taking photographs in Indonesia

SOLO, Indonesia (AP) — An endangered Sumatran elephant charged a woman who was taking photographs, trampling her to death Wednesday at a tourist spot on Indonesia's island of Java.

Veterinarian Octavia Warahapsari took care of two trained Sumatran elephants used for tourist treks at the Gajah Mungkur scenic reservoir in central Java.

Pardiyanto, an official at the reservoir, said one of the elephants charged Warahapsari while she was taking photographs in an open area. She ran but returned to retrieve her dropped cellphone. The elephant caught her in its trunk and threw her to the ground. The 25-year-old Warahapsari died of severe injuries.

"It was tragic," said Pardiyanto, who goes by one name. "People saw this giant animal trample her but they could not do anything to help her," he said.

Only 3,000 Sumatran elephants are believed to remain in the wild. They're threatened by shrinking habitats and poaching.

The two elephants were brought to the reservoir from a zoo in a neighboring town last month to attract more visitors.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... -indonesia
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:42 am

Hagaman Musson says: "So I was waiting for my son to come home from school and I see this woman trying to get a close up of the squirrel trying to get a selfie with it. Next thing I know he's chasing her down the street and she's rejecting the close up. Now she's in front of our house and the squirrel comes into view still chasing her. So now she's filming him screaming for him to get away. "
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:53 am

Did Canuck the crow swoop off with a knife from a Vancouver crime scene?

Canuck the crow, Vancouver's most notorious bird, is being accused of flying away with a knife from a crime scene.

The crow has quite a reputation in Vancouver and its antics are regularly chronicled on social media, including a dedicated Facebook page that has a profile photo of the bird holding a knife in its beak.

Earlier on Tuesday, police had shot a man near Hastings and Cassiar streets. They were called to the scene of a car engulfed in flames. When they arrived, police said, they were confronted by a man with a knife.

Shots were fired and the man was arrested.

Vancouver Courier reporter Mike Howell said he saw the bird — which had a red tag on its leg as does Canuck — swoop in and pick up an object from inside an area cordoned off by police tape.

"A cop chased it for about 15 to 20 feet, and then the crow dropped it and took off," Howell told CBC.

"It was really strange. In my 20-plus years reporting from crime scenes, I've never seen anything like that crow trying to take a knife."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3600299
82_28

Postby Cordelia » Fri May 27, 2016 10:52 am

‘Covered with bees, and a swarm pursuing': Man dies after being stung more than 1,000 times in Arizona park

"What was supposed to be a short and easy hike ended in tragedy Thursday morning when a young man died after being stung more than 1,000 times by bees in an Arizona park.

Alex Bestler, 23, was walking along Merkle Memorial Trail in Usery Mountain park near Mesa just before 9 a.m. when he and a friend were suddenly attacked by thousands of bees.

“Without provocation or warning, a large swarm of bees descended on both of them as they continued on the trail,” the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... ge%2Fstory
Cordelia

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri May 27, 2016 11:48 am

Car Chased by 20,000 Bees for Two Days After Hive Queen Gets Stuck in Trunk

By Sumitra on May 26th, 2016

[...]

Roger said that this was the strangest incident he’d encountered in his 30 years of beekeeping. “It is natural for them to follow the queen but it is a strange thing to see and quite surprising to have a car followed for two days. It was quite amusing.”

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/car-c ... ign=buffer
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:50 pm

Fish can recognize human faces (and we know because they keep spitting at us)
By Rachel Feltman June 7 at 12:14 PM
(University of Oxford)
Archerfish are already stars of the animal kingdom for their stunning spit-takes. They shoot high-powered water jets from their mouths to stun prey, making them one of just a few fish species known to use tools.

But by training Toxotes chatareus to direct those jets of spit at certain individuals, scientists have shown that the little guys have another impressive skill: They seem to be able to distinguish one human face from another, something never before witnessed in fish and spotted just a few times in non-human animals.

The results, published Tuesday in the Nature journal Scientific Reports, could help us understand how humans got so good at telling each other apart. Or how most people got to be good at that, anyway. I'm terrible at it.

Study reveals archerfish can recognize human faces
Play Video0:22
A species of tropical fish called Archerfish seem to be able to distinguish one human face from another, something never before witnessed in fish and spotted just a few times in non-human animals. (University of Oxford)
It's generally accepted that the fusiform gyrus, a brain structure located in the neocortex, allows humans to tell one another apart with a speed and accuracy that other species can't manage. But there's some debate over whether human faces are so innately complex — and that distinguishing them is more difficult than other tricks of memory or pattern recognition — that this region of the brain is a necessary facilitator of the skill that evolved especially for it. Birds, which have been shown to distinguish humans from one another, have the same structure. But some researchers still think that facial recognition might be something that humans learn — it's not an innate skill — and that the fusiform gyrus is just the spot where we happen to process all the necessary information.

That's where fish come in: They don't have anything like this structure within their (relatively) simple brains. But they've been trained to spit at particular shapes or colors before, so Cait Newport, Marie Curie research fellow in the department of zoology at Oxford University, wanted to see whether faces posed a particular challenge for fish brains.

And based on the spits she monitored, they don't.

[The stunning accuracy of archerfish spit]

"It's very similar to training a pet dog," said Newport, who conducted the research along with scientists from the University of Queensland. First she taught archerfish that spitting at a cursor she moved around on a screen would result in food pellets. Then she taught them to spit at pictures of human faces — and then she taught them to spit at a particular face, even when given options. In two experiments — each using four fish — the subjects were presented with a random sequence of 44 faces in addition to the one they'd been trained to pick. In both cases (including an experiment where the researchers made the faces gray-scale) the fish made better than random guesses, obtaining average accuracies of 81 percent and 86 percent.

"Obviously the first takeaway is that they could do it. They were distinguishing something really complicated," Newport said. This also shows that the fish have surprisingly good memories. "It certainly challenges the whole idea of a fish with a 30-second memory," she joked.

There's no doubt that whatever mechanism humans use for recognizing one another is much more sophisticated — and more accurate — than the recognition Newport saw in archerfish. "We may even find that fish aren't able to do it in other conditions," she said, while humans are able to recognize faces at different angles and under different light, at least up to a point. She plans on testing the limits of archerfish abilities in future studies.

"But this does start to suggest that there's nothing special about human faces, and that they can be treated as any other object and still be recognized," she said, which further suggests that facial recognition is learned and not innate. Again, this doesn't mean the fusiform gyrus isn't important — irregularities there have been linked to a condition called face blindness, which prevents humans from recognizing individuals — but it could mean that the human ability boils down to more than just some unique brain matter we've evolved to carry.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby PufPuf93 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:43 am

Cordelia » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:40 am wrote: Things are getting wild in Northern Virginia: Raccoon and fox attacks reported

"A man fought off a raccoon that bit him and eventually killed it by putting his foot on its throat in Fairfax County. And two women were bitten by foxes in separate incidents in the county.

The incident with the raccoon happened Thursday about 11 a.m. in the Clifton area.

Police said the man was awakened by a raccoon in his home. It’s not immediately clear how the animal got inside."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/th ... story.html

Edited to add that I had a 'pet' raccoon as a child; they're very intelligent and dexterous creatures. :lovehearts:

There is much wildlife where I live because the location is within a National Forest. Wildlife comes into my yard and gets into garbage (black bear, feral cats, spotted and striped skunks, raccoons, and red fox. Other wildlife that comes into my yard include deer and coyote and the dogs once treed a mountain lion across the USFS road from my house that is on property I own. I have no dog(s) now. I have several pear trees that tend to have large amount of fruit on the ground that I rake into piles for convenient eating and removal by black bear.

The last two years my garbage is never spread like to the extent nor as often as prior. The feral cats that had infested an out building for 20 years have disappeared. The quail that usually are busy with their young in the Spring are not present either.

Why? A ring tailed cat took residence under my deck. Last Spring there were three kits hidden in the tall grass I was about to weed eat. This Spring there was a racket and there were two ring tails frozen in a stare down with me on the deck; I think they were mating. I see the ring tail at night about once a week where it will not approach me but does not run off either. The ring tail cat seems to have staked out a territory and keeps other wildlife away.

The ring tail are nocturnal and one mostly sees them driving at night. In the Karuk regalia for the World Renewal Ceremony / White Deerskin Dance / Pichi 'avich, ring tail cat tails are made into an apron worn by the shaman. The ceremony takes place at Tisshanik by the River below my home.

Note: Not my house, an internet photo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring-tailed_cat

The ringtail (Bassariscus astutus) is a mammal of the raccoon family, native to arid regions of North America. It is also known as the ringtail cat, ring-tailed cat, miner's cat or bassarisk, and is also sometimes mistakenly called a "civet cat" (after similar, though unrelated, cat-like omnivores of Asia and Africa). The ringtail is sometimes called a cacomistle, though this term seems to be more often used to refer to Bassariscus sumichrasti.

Note: Where I live is lush forests on a ledge between two creeks about 500 feet elevation and 3/8 miles from a major river. Lots of water and green, Douglas-fir and mixed hardwood forest.

Description

The ringtail is buff to dark brown in color with white underparts and a flashy black and white striped tail that has 14–16 white and black stripes,[2] which is longer than the rest of its body. The claws are short, straight, and semi-retractable.[3] The eyes are large and black, each surrounded by a patch of light fur. It is smaller than a house cat and is one of the smallest extant procyonids (only the smallest in the olingo species group average smaller). It measures 30–42 cm (12–17 in) long to the base of the tail with the tail adding another 31–44 cm (12–17 in). It can weigh from 0.7 to 1.5 kg (1.5 to 3.3 lb).[4] Ringtails have occasionally been hunted for their pelts, but the fur is not especially valuable.

Typically weighing around three pounds, ringtails possess superb hearing and eyes that allow them to move about at night. A nocturnal creature, the ringtail's large eyes and upright ears make it easier for it to move about in the dark. Its fur ranges in coloring from tawny to grayish, and a pointed muzzle with long whiskers resembles that of a fox - which is appropriate in that its very name means ‘clever little fox’. Its tail is about a foot long, with seven to nine black rings and is about the same length as the animal's body. Like its namesake, the ringtail uses this tail for balancing when moving about its habitat. The tail also serves another purpose, acting as a distraction for potential predators. The white rings provide predators with a focus other than the ringtail itself; by grabbing the tail rather than the body, the ringtail has a greater chance of escaping.[5] Additionally, their semi-retractable claws and long tail provide the ringtail with tools ideal for climbing [6]

Ecology

In areas with a bountiful source of water, as many as 50 ringtails/sq. mile have been found. Ranging from 50 to 100 acres, the territories of male ringtails occasionally intersect with several females [7] It has been suggested that ringtails utilize feces as a way to mark territory. In 2003, a study done in Mexico City found that ringtails tended to defecate in similar areas in a seemingly nonrandom pattern, mimicking that of other carnivores that utilized excretions to mark territories.[8] Ringtails prefer a solitary existence but may share a den or be found mutually grooming one another. Limited interaction except during the breeding season which occurs in the early springtime. Occasional prey to coatis, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, lynxes, and mountain lions, the ringtail is rather adept at avoiding predators. Its ability to excrete musk when startled or threatened is largely attributed to the ringtail’s success in deterring potential predators. The main predators of the ringtail are the Great Horned Owl and the Red-tailed Hawk.[7]

Note: Red-tailed Hawk are common and Bald Eagles and ospreys nest nearby. Goshawks are also present but uncommon to see as are Northern Spotted owls. There are definite spots where feces accumulates i
PufPuf93

Postby brekin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:02 pm

82_28 wrote:

Hagaman Musson says: "So I was waiting for my son to come home from school and I see this woman trying to get a close up of the squirrel trying to get a selfie with it. Next thing I know he's chasing her down the street and she's rejecting the close up. Now she's in front of our house and the squirrel comes into view still chasing her. So now she's filming him screaming for him to get away. "

It's the faux fur trim on the hood of her jacket. When she runs it bounces and the squirrel probably thinks it is another squirrel or more.

Or she's just super foxy.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 82_28 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Good point, Brekin. I'm one of those people who has always slammed on the brakes for squirrels. It wasn't until I read something a long time ago that the reason they dart is that they cannot see, their eyesight cannot resolve such a fast moving large object and that's the reason they get confused.
82_28

Postby norton ash » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:22 am

My sister was upset about running over a squirrel. My wise father just told her to think instead of the happy fox or raven.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Cordelia » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:53 am

The ringed tail cat looks like an exquisite little creature Puff-Puff, I've never seen one, even in a zoo. Thanks for the information and description of your wildlife habitat. Our orphaned raccoon was so clever, he could poke open a raw egg with his 'finger' nail and suck out the contents.

(As usual) Brekin, great catch about the furry collar attracting the squirrel! 82, I was thinking their eyes are too large, and well positioned as a prey animal's, too be faulty in that way and looked it up. ..... fwiw. This is a biologist's take on way squirrels dart around oncoming cars.......

What’s up with squirrels and cars?

"Our eyes are on the front of our head, so the fields of view from each eye overlap in the center, allowing us to have the depth perception necessary to judge how quickly a speeding object is approaching. Squirrels, on the other hand, have eyes more on the sides of the head, so they have more side, or peripheral, vision than us.

They can actually see more around the back of the head than us, which helps in detecting predators approaching from behind. But there is a trade-off that comes with this advantage, which is that each eye’s field of view does not overlap to the degree it does in humans, so their depth perception is not as acute as that of most primates.

There is another piece to this puzzle. An effective predator avoidance behavior is to freeze as a predator is approaching and then dart out of the way at the last moment. The predator is unable to change directions as quickly and thus often misses its squirrely prey. This behavior is an adaptation, or a trait that has genetic origins and increases fitness, but this is a perfect example of how adaptations result in a species being better fit to survive in their current environment.

When the environment changes, such as a vehicle traveling faster than any predator, what was once an adaptation may end up reducing fitness. The squirrel’s predator avoidance behaviors probably have a net positive effect on fitness, meaning they do a better job of reducing their predation than increasing being hit by a car. And since they have such a high reproductive rate, typical of rodents, we probably will not see them going extinct anytime soon due to vehicular traffic."

More...........
https://news.illinoisstate.edu/2016/01/ ... rels-cars/

If anyone else is interested in the eye shapes of predators and prey...... http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/new ... or-or-prey
Cordelia

Postby 82_28 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:16 pm

I live in a big city and the squirrels are way more different. So I got to thinking last night once again about why this is so.

Development.

I grew up in a quickly growing suburbia of Denver where I saw all kinds of animals flee. Antelopes, wolves, squirrels. Those guys had a spot. Then all of their habitat/homes were stolen from them -- I just thought they were an added feature to our modern yet rustic living or something. Their land was now a subdivision. We had this football/soccer field where herds of pronghorns would run through. Now I just realize they were confused and scared. At that time I lived on the very edge of the growth and there were wolves howling in the close distance. You'd go to the west and would hear Elk bugling.

I didn't ask to do it, but was along for the ride.
82_28

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion