Biscuit crumbs

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Biscuit crumbs

Postby semper occultus » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:52 am

...interesting list...probabaly with a fair few assumptions & inspired guesswork thrown in aswell though ...

...firstly who the hells' Nancy Shevell....I noticed that U2 was shown as a band whilst Queen they show the individual band members....but yeah the wacky world of the music biz...going back to some of these 60's bands ofcourse the business model was that they were discarded penniless after their fans had moved on & the money accrued elsewhere !

.I think Dave Clark of the Dave Clark Five was an early pioneer of actually understanding contracts they were signing & holding onto to the IP that actually accrued the earnings...Jagger was no slouch in that area either in due course.....otoh Blondie famously wound up the band after their stratospheric success in the early 80's & were told the residual left in the bank to be divvied up by the band members was $25,000.....although they may have injected or sniffed some element of the gross though...
semper occultus

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:44 am

Nancy Shevell is Mrs. Paul McCartney.
Iamwhomiam

Postby KUAN » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:22 am

this one

http://www.theguardian.com/music/lostin ... ildren-too

Once more to House Sting, that musical powerbase whose extensive global property portfolio means the sun never sets on its yoga mats. Headed by the eponymous troubadour and his wife Trudie Styler, House Sting is widely regarded as one of 21st-century Earth’s most savagely self-parodic entities. Committed eco-warriors Sting and Trudie are as at home dismissing a pregnant chef for being too ill to travel from Wiltshire to London to make them some soup or something as they are organising summits at their Tuscan estate, where the aim is “to rethink how change happens in our society”. (Short answer: not like this.)
KUAN

Postby semper occultus » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:41 pm

Iamwhomiam » 21 Apr 2016 13:44 wrote:Nancy Shevell is Mrs. Paul McCartney.

....I did wonder...she has slightly less penchant for publicity than the previous incumbent it appears...
semper occultus

Postby KUAN » Sun May 08, 2016 11:16 pm

was walking back from the shops today, loverly sunny morning, passed a nice old indonesian looking lady - smartly dressed, imelda marcos sunglasses, she brought to mind the doco, The Act of Killing - we both smiled and nodded
KUAN

Postby KUAN » Sun May 08, 2016 11:37 pm

as for other people - don't get me started
KUAN

Postby stefano » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:39 am

stefano

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:02 am

They should definitely know that. Though I like to say that violent crime is the lowest it's ever been it looks like I could be wrong, but I wonder how things were reported in the 60s, especially crimes against women, queer people, trans people, and people of color.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:05 am

^^^^ Violent crime has been growing rapidly this year, bucking the trend over the past decade that each passing year saw ever decreasing incidents of violent crime.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:18 am

I had been assuming that it was just amplified by all the peoples' cameras and democratization of communication, but if statistically violent crime is on the rise, that's another thing.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby KUAN » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:26 am

ok 38 billion; just stop building settelments - hell, we could put them up in Utah, we'll just make it 36 billion plus we could develop I.T.
Sure, ok
beep beep beep - beep beep beep - beep beep beep
Fuck, time to get up
KUAN

Postby KUAN » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:54 am

There is an arab saying, (I think I read somewhere), that goes something like:

'When you have finished building your house, it's time to die'

Can anyone at RI help me find it? Ta
KUAN

Postby dada » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:32 am

KUAN wrote:There is an arab saying, (I think I read somewhere), that goes something like:

'When you have finished building your house, it's time to die'

Can anyone at RI help me find it? Ta

After a brief search, the only place I could find reference to this saying was in a book, "A Thousand Days in Venice: An Unexpected Romance" by Marlena de Blasi. Looks like a book I wouldn't enjoy.

Nasruddin contracts a mason to have his tomb built. When the mason is done, he wants to be paid. Nasruddin won't pay up, he says the tomb isn't finished. The mason asks what else he could possibly do? Nasruddin says it still needs the body.

:dancingfrog:
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby semper occultus » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:19 am

Humans created 5 billion gigabytes of digital information in 2003; in 2013 it took only 10 minutes to produce the same amount of data.

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/10/aeon-deep-time/505922/
semper occultus

Postby KUAN » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:23 pm

Thanks dada, but na, not he one.

It's a saying and not part of a story as far as I know...
KUAN

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion