'Collapse': Chris Smith's new film about Michael Ruppert

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:36 pm

MacCruiskeen wrote:
Roger Ebert wrote:The facts he outlines are known to world leaders, who don't talk a lot about them in alarmist terms, but they explain why Bush/Cheney were happy to have an excuse to invade Iraq. And why our embassy compound in Baghdad is the largest we've ever built, larger than Vatican City. And why we're so much more worried by Iran than North Korea. They may also explain Obama's perplexing decision to increase troops in Afghanistan. An undeclared world war for oil is already under way.

I don't know when I've seen a thriller more frightening. I couldn't tear my eyes from the screen. "Collapse" is even entertaining, in a macabre sense. I think you owe it to yourself to see it.

Well, well. It's really pretty amazing to see the name "Roger Ebert" above those words! With this one low-budget film, Ruppert (and Smith) may have done more than anyone else to force Deep Politics, finally, into mainstream public awareness.

Thanks for posting this, Julia.

Taking that analysis into account, along with Ebert's proclamation, "I have a pretty good built-in B.S. detector, and its needle never bounced off zero while I watched this film.", I wonder if Ebert has read Crossing the Rubicon or if seeing this film will inspire him to read it.
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: 'Collapse': Chris Smith's new film about Michael Ruppert

Postby beeline » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:34 pm

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=111&sid=577994

Dig deep: Gasoline prices ready to move higher

March 1, 2010 - 4:29pm

(AP) - It may not make much sense, given that the economy remains weak, but the cost of filling up your car is about to go higher.

Seasonal influences are strong this time of year and account for much of the expected increase that many analysts say will push gasoline to a nationwide average of at least $3 per gallon this spring. Rising oil prices also are a factor in higher gasoline prices.

"There is no legitimate fundamental reason for higher prices, but it is March 1st, so we have to expect to see them," Peter Beutel of Cameron Hanover said Monday of oil prices in his report. "Reasons have a way of materializing at this time of year."

Wholesale prices for the April gasoline contract on the New York Mercantile Exchange are about 10 to 12 cents higher than the March contract that expired Friday. Much of the rise comes from refiners switching to more expensive summer blends of gasoline designed to meet tougher pollution standards in effect between April and September. The higher prices should make their way to the pump over the next few weeks.

At $3 per gallon, a typical motorist using 50 gallons of gasoline would pay about $150 per month for fuel. That is about $15 a month more than current prices. Drivers currently spend about 2.5 percent of their income on fuel.

The higher prices come at a time when most Americans' incomes are stagnant. Incomes edged up 0.1 percent in January, below analysts' estimates, according to the Commerce Department.

A family with one car is spending about 4 percent of its income on fuel currently, according to Oil Price Information Service.

Gasoline prices were flat overnight, rising 0.1 cents Monday to a national average of $2.705 per gallon, according to auto club AAA, Wright Express and OPIS.

Prices have moved higher the past two weeks, approaching the 2010 high of $2.7583 per gallon set on Jan. 14. In the past week prices climbed 5.7 cents and are now 78.4 cents higher than year ago levels.

The Energy Information Administration said Monday that the nationwide average of gasoline prices was $2.702 per gallon Monday, an increase of 4.7 cents in the past week. The Gulf of Mexico region posted the lowest average prices at $2.596 per gallon. The West Coast was highest at $2.937 per gallon.

Crude oil prices are more than twice what they were a year ago when the U.S. was mired in the Great Recession. Investors look for global demand to pick up as the economy improves, especially in China and other developing countries.

Oil prices got to $80.62 a barrel Monday on the NYMEX before falling back to settle at $78.70, down 96 cents. The $80 level has been tough for oil to crack. It has reached the mark time and again over the past several months only to fall back again.

A stronger dollar also was a drag on oil Monday. Oil is traded in dollars on global markets and becomes more expensive for international investors who hold other currencies.

In other Nymex trading in April contracts, heating oil fell 1.18 cents to settle at $2.0235 a gallon, and gasoline lost 3.23 cents to settle at $2.1556 a gallon. Natural gas lost 13.4 cents to settle at $4.679 per 1,000 cubic feet.

In London, Brent crude dropped 70 cents to settle at $76.89 on the ICE futures exchange.

___

Associated Press writers Pablo Gorondi in Budapest and Alex Kennedy in Singapore contributed to this report.

(Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
By MARK WILLIAMS
AP Energy Writer

(AP) - It may not make much sense, given that the economy remains weak, but the cost of filling up your car is about to go higher.

Seasonal influences are strong this time of year and account for much of the expected increase that many analysts say will push gasoline to a nationwide average of at least $3 per gallon this spring. Rising oil prices also are a factor in higher gasoline prices.

"There is no legitimate fundamental reason for higher prices, but it is March 1st, so we have to expect to see them," Peter Beutel of Cameron Hanover said Monday of oil prices in his report. "Reasons have a way of materializing at this time of year."

Wholesale prices for the April gasoline contract on the New York Mercantile Exchange are about 10 to 12 cents higher than the March contract that expired Friday. Much of the rise comes from refiners switching to more expensive summer blends of gasoline designed to meet tougher pollution standards in effect between April and September. The higher prices should make their way to the pump over the next few weeks.

At $3 per gallon, a typical motorist using 50 gallons of gasoline would pay about $150 per month for fuel. That is about $15 a month more than current prices. Drivers currently spend about 2.5 percent of their income on fuel.

The higher prices come at a time when most Americans' incomes are stagnant. Incomes edged up 0.1 percent in January, below analysts' estimates, according to the Commerce Department.

A family with one car is spending about 4 percent of its income on fuel currently, according to Oil Price Information Service.

Gasoline prices were flat overnight, rising 0.1 cents Monday to a national average of $2.705 per gallon, according to auto club AAA, Wright Express and OPIS.

Prices have moved higher the past two weeks, approaching the 2010 high of $2.7583 per gallon set on Jan. 14. In the past week prices climbed 5.7 cents and are now 78.4 cents higher than year ago levels.

The Energy Information Administration said Monday that the nationwide average of gasoline prices was $2.702 per gallon Monday, an increase of 4.7 cents in the past week. The Gulf of Mexico region posted the lowest average prices at $2.596 per gallon. The West Coast was highest at $2.937 per gallon.

Crude oil prices are more than twice what they were a year ago when the U.S. was mired in the Great Recession. Investors look for global demand to pick up as the economy improves, especially in China and other developing countries.

Oil prices got to $80.62 a barrel Monday on the NYMEX before falling back to settle at $78.70, down 96 cents. The $80 level has been tough for oil to crack. It has reached the mark time and again over the past several months only to fall back again.

A stronger dollar also was a drag on oil Monday. Oil is traded in dollars on global markets and becomes more expensive for international investors who hold other currencies.

In other Nymex trading in April contracts, heating oil fell 1.18 cents to settle at $2.0235 a gallon, and gasoline lost 3.23 cents to settle at $2.1556 a gallon. Natural gas lost 13.4 cents to settle at $4.679 per 1,000 cubic feet.

In London, Brent crude dropped 70 cents to settle at $76.89 on the ICE futures exchange.

___

Associated Press writers Pablo Gorondi in Budapest and Alex Kennedy in Singapore contributed to this report.
beeline

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nordic » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Yeah that makes so much sense.

Seeing as how the ports of the world have been circled for months now by big fat tankers full of oil, just WAITING for the price to go up so they can sell all the surplus.

I guess they're carefully gonna release all this oil into the world at inflated prices.

But it's "free market" and "the invisible hand", really! How could it be anything else?

The invisible hand is parked firmly up everyone's asses.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

MICHAEL C. RUPPERT in a Web Streaming Q&A Session after a screening of COLLAPSE at Goldsmith’s College, University of London – Watch it Live, Friday March 26th (12:30 PM, PDT, 3:30 PM EDT, 7:30 GMT)

Watch it live here! -- http://www.ustream.tv/channel/collapsenet (The film will not be live-streamed. The Q&As following are expected to last for 45 minutes to one hour.)

Goldsmiths College, University of London is proud to have the first-ever UK screening of the critically-acclaimed Bluemark Films' documentary "Collapse" followed by a live Q&A with the film’s only subject Mike Ruppert. -- While the collapse of human industrial civilization and the subject of Peak Oil were either unthinkable or unknown to most a year ago, they seem front and center these days. Ruppert has an estimated 80% accuracy rate in economic, political and energy predictions over a decade of investigative journalism. He accurately and precisely predicted the crash of 2008 for years. Now he predicts that as much as two thirds of the human race may perish in the next five to ten as food disappears and lights go out around the world.

More than half of the predictions Ruppert made in the film – which finished shooting in June 2009 – have already come true. That will make you seriously ponder the other dire predictions he made in the film. Ruppert has authored two books, one of which (“Crossing the Rubicon”) is in the Harvard Business School library. His critically acclaimed new book “Confronting Collapse” was the foundation for the film. (Available through Amazon.com in the US and UK)

**** -- “Above all else see COLLAPSE. Above all else” – Roger Ebert, The Chicago Sun Times

[...]

http://mikeruppert.blogspot.com/2010/03 ... ing-q.html

Goldsmith's College is about as serious, mainstream and respectable an academic address as you can find - a prestigious location for the UK premiere. Serious people are no longer laughing at Ruppert. Understandably, he's pleased about that, after such a long period in the wilderness. But, as he knows very well himself, it's a kind of pyrrhic victory.

How many of you have a feeling of impending doom right now? It's an understatement when I say I am not optimistic about the way things are going. Symptomatically, I just played the lottery for the first time in years.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:43 pm

Nearly two years on, I finally watched the whole thing. It is hard to endure at points - not that it's ever boring, much less unpersuasive (on the contrary). Frankly it's left me kind of speechless, even though I was already familiar with most (not all) of his argument. The film archive material is also well chosen and well-used: it makes its points economically and un-selfindulgently in a way that puts the likes of Adam Curtis to shame.

The last 23 months have certainly not weakened Ruppert's case. I can't do better right now than quote Ebert again:

Roger Ebert wrote:The facts he outlines are known to world leaders, who don't talk a lot about them in alarmist terms, but they explain why Bush/Cheney were happy to have an excuse to invade Iraq. And why our embassy compound in Baghdad is the largest we've ever built, larger than Vatican City. And why we're so much more worried by Iran than North Korea. They may also explain Obama's perplexing decision to increase troops in Afghanistan. An undeclared world war for oil is already under way.

I don't know when I've seen a thriller more frightening. I couldn't tear my eyes from the screen. "Collapse" is even entertaining, in a macabre sense. I think you owe it to yourself to see it.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Laodicean » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:17 pm

Dow Jones fell over 500 points today, as Europe continues to collapse...
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:39 pm

Laodicean wrote:Dow Jones fell over 500 points today, as Europe continues to collapse...

Yup - "worst day for the markets since 2009" (BBC). Of course, that ongoing collapse is something that the top half of the top 1% are perfectly capable of profiting from, or of taking a temporary loss on that will benefit them in the medium-to-long term. 'Austerity' is certainly not for everyone, and disaster capitalism feeds on collapse. A bad day for the herd is a good day for the vultures.

I liked it when Ruppert was asked to talk about his religion and answered with just that one laconic quote: "The love of money is the root of all evil." A long interview between him and Naomi Klein would be something worth experiencing.

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Stephen Morgan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Perhaps weakening of equities is a consequence of strengthening of the currency and bond markets, now that America is all solvent again.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:53 am

Stephen Morgan wrote:Perhaps weakening of equities is a consequence of strengthening of the currency and bond markets, now that America is all solvent again.

True, but where you see it (mayhaps?) as equilibrium restored, I see that as the mechanism behind the crime. These are not "immutable market laws" playing out, this is a machine being controlled and primed.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby bks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:45 pm

Ruppert gets too much credit for his supposed powers of prediction. He's not the most eloquent or informed spokesman for the Peak Oil narrative or even the collapse narrative, and many well-regarded people who partnered with him in some fashion eventually left his company because of Ruppert's bad behavior [Dale Allen Pfeiffer, Stan Goff, just to name two] He's prone to making ridiculously exaggerated claims and he's not beyond taking credit for things that actually don't square with what he's said. He likes to blame others for what are manifestly his own failings [a particularly unattractive quality], and in times of stress or conflict comes across like a very big-brained, supremely intelligent spoiled child. His recent humblings may have tempered some of those personality traits, but they're longstanding from what I have read and experienced, in much more limited fashion, firsthand.

This latest prediction he's now trumpeting, the one from April 8, said we have "until July" before the market begins its crash. That is now being stretched to mean through July, which wasn't what was said, and anyway the stock market giveback of the last couple of weeks is hardly a crash at this time. More losses might be on the way, but there is no clear evidence I'm aware of that the losses are primarily due to the quarterly earnings reports of Japanese companies in the wake of the tsunami and Fukushima disasters. There are plenty of plausible narratives that one might invoke to explain a fall in stock prices beginning a couple of weeks ago, with the end of QE2 on July 1 at the top of the list.

Further, when he makes a patently absurd claim that falls flat, we don't hear about afterward. In that video [see below], he predicts that the world we live in won't be recognizable by Fall 2011. [See the 12:00 mark forward] That's absurd and sure to be false, but he says those sorts of things routinely. And we won't hear him admit it when it doesn't happen:

http://vimeo.com/22156810
bks

Postby StarmanSkye » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:03 pm

This vid seems to complement this thread quite well, posted by NewAmericaNow:
Economic Collapse: Why It Won't Be Stopped.

--quote--
The hard truth as to why we as a society can not stop the economic collapse.

My interpretation and creative license used in adapting an very good article
called The Shape of Things To Come written by Charles Hugh Smith

My Blog
http://www.newamerica-now.blogspot.com

The Shape of Things To Come
http://www.oftwominds.com/blogjuly11/sh ... s6-11.html

StarmanSkye

Postby Laodicean » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:54 pm

From Vice's six part series. Parts 1 and 2 released so far.

Apocalypse, Man
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby divideandconquer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Wow! He supports the peak oil theory! He must be compromised.

I think most, if not all, of the alternative media personalities are compromised but, still, I have mixed feelings because they open so many eyes.
'I see clearly that man in this world deceives himself by admiring and esteeming things which are not, and neither sees nor esteems the things which are.' — St. Catherine of Genoa
divideandconquer

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks Laodicean! I've been wondering what happened to Michael Ruppert. Glad to see he has not compromised on his principles. He's done the opposite of 'If you can't beat 'em - join 'em': he's left 'em. If you can't change the way money works - fuck money!

Here's Part Two:

"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:02 pm

Here's Part Three:

"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion