Hip Hop and Conspiracy Theory

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Hip Hop and Conspiracy Theory

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:13 am

Welcome to the reality tunnel I spend every day in: hip hop is literally my life now.

I was once one of y'all...and in any meaningful sense I still am. Nobody here is a cynical weirdo first and foremost. Even Hugh has a day job.

Here in the hip hop headspace, we've got Prodigy, who built his career rapping about robbery and murder and is currently in prison. He's also big into Malachi York and has a very Icke-informed reading on the NWO. He's been very vocally accusing his rival Jay-Z of being a mason, if not Illuminati, and being a Satanist. Jay-Z, who is very rich, sleeping with Beyonce Knowles and not currently in prison, does admittedly fuck with people by doing...well, stuff like this:

His triangular pyramid hand sign doesn't help, and Jay has, after all, named his label after the Rockefeller family. Although hip hop conspiracy theory is mostly a Jeff Rense mish-mash, I think RI heads would dig a trip through another perspective -- here's a run down of the "occult symbolism" in a recent Jay-Z video, which sucked by Masonic decree, like always.

http://justgetthere.us/blog/archives/Ja ... tions.html

(ENJOY.)

Here's Prodigy's own take on his awakening:

http://www.urb.com/permalink/3989/Prodi ... Moment-of-

It's a long game, from any perspective, and the past never goes away for a second.

Conspiracy theory has always been fodder for lyrics, though...there's a group called the Lost Children of Babylon who are also followers of Malachi York and make hilariously bad albums. Jedi Mind Tricks started out on the same frequency, but settled for teenage superviolence anthems and fake Islam...my personal favorite was always Non-Phixion, though. Unlike most mammals, cocaine made them quieter and more aware. They were more cynical, more funny, and not surprisingly way better rappers than...well, most humans.

On Monday night, the entire Rhymesayers tour bus -- Brother Ali, Evidence, BK One and the crew for the Fresh Air tour they're doing right now -- saw a huge UFO over Colorado...and talked about it on Twitter. The future is now, huh?

It's been entertaining seeing RI memes floating through the lens of my lil' music career.

Maybe in another decade they'll discover Jacques Vallee.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby American Dream » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:20 am

How about Immortal Technique and Paris?

They are some of my favorites!
American Dream

Postby Nordic » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:05 am

Not to deliberately dredge up any racial aspects to this, but haven't black people always had a unique perspective on things?

And during the Bush years, I, a very "nordic" fellow, started to think "this must be what it feels like to be black". The way the ruling class just laughed in our faces, did whatever crimes they wanted, killed whomever of us they felt like, etc. etc. etc.

Haven't African Americans always been suspicious of the origin of AIDS?

Don't most of them believe O.J. is innocent and was 100% framed?

They've always had a different reality than whites, and I mean that literally, their worldview is from a completely different place.

I hope this isn't off topic. This is a very interesting post, but I don't know much about rap, except some of its origins and I had to learn a lot about NWA and Easy E for a project I was working on. His death was pretty strange, too, BTW.

The fellow in jail reminds me of Malcolm X in the sense that he's figuring shit out. :)
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby smiths » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:08 am

its a very interesting article,

its one thing to use symbolism but to name your label after rockefellers and talk about the family and constantly give that stupid fucking symbol,

that is weird shit

i have just been reading 'the leopard'

the royal prince of the ancient family of salina is talking to the jesuit about who stands to lose most in the war of 1868 in italy, and mocks the jesuit by suggesting it will be the church,
they both however agree that the masons stand to gain the most and are a very significant force in what was going on in italy at the time,

it was quite eye opening to me :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Leopard

"We were the Leopards, the Lions, those who'll take our place will be little jackals, hyenas; and the whole lot of us, Leopards, jackals, and sheep, we'll all go on thinking ourselves the salt of the earth."

oh yeah, i liked your hip hop tune, still cant dig lyrics about 'pussy' and coming on your gilfriends shoes though
the question is why, who, why, what, why, when, why and why again?
smiths

Postby operator kos » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:26 am

I've always had the suspicion that the CIA in some part funded the careers of certain rappers who glorified crack cocaine.

As to the racial aspect, I've always found people of color to be wiser on the whole about the government than white people. Obviously they've had a much long history of being stomped on by The Man, while historically even poor white families often trusted that the government was on their side.

There are a ton of conscious hip-hop artists in the Bay Area where I live...

Remo Conscious (of Loose Change fame)
Paris
Raskadu
Zion I
Wig
Aesop Rock
Beltaine's Fire (Celtic hip-hop, can you believe it?)
and the list goes on...
operator kos

Postby OP ED » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:31 am

OP ED

Postby Nordic » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:39 am

That's your article, WB?
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Penguin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:58 am

(Organized Konfusion - Stress The Extinction Agenda)

http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=20332

DMX interview on XXL Mag, before selections:

Are you following the presidential race?
Not at all.

You’re not? You know there’s a Black guy running, Barack Obama and then there’s Hillary Clinton.
His name is Barack?!

Barack Obama, yeah.
Barack?!

Barack.
What the fuck is a Barack?! Barack Obama. Where he from, Africa?

Yeah, his dad is from Kenya.
Barack Obama?

Yeah.
What the fuck?! That ain’t no fuckin’ name, yo. That ain’t that nigga’s name. You can’t be serious. Barack Obama. Get the fuck outta here.

You’re telling me you haven’t heard about him before.
I ain’t really paying much attention.

I mean, it’s pretty big if a Black…
Wow, Barack! The nigga’s name is Barack. Barack? Nigga named Barack Obama. What the fuck, man?! Is he serious? That ain’t his fuckin’ name. Ima tell this nigga when I see him, “Stop that bullshit. Stop that bullshit” [laughs] “That ain’t your fuckin’ name.” Your momma ain’t name you no damn Barack.

So you’re not following the race. You can’t vote right?
Nope.

Is that why you’re not following it?
No, because it’s just—it doesn’t matter. They’re gonna do what they’re gonna do. It doesn’t really make a difference. These are the last years.

But it would be pretty big if we had a first Black president. That would be huge.
I mean, I guess…. What, they gon’ give a dog a bone? There you go. Ooh, we have a Black president now. They should’ve done that shit a long time ago, we wouldn’t be in the fuckin’ position we in now. With world war coming up right now. They done fucked this shit up then give it to the Black people, “Here you take it. Take my mess.”

Right, exactly.
It’s all a fuckin’ setup. It’s all a setup. All fuckin’ bullshit. All bullshit. I don’t give a fuck about none of that.

We could have a female president also, Hillary Clinton.
I mean, either way it doesn’t matter. I don’t care. No one person is directly affected by which president, you know, so what does it matter.

Yeah, but the country is.
I guess. The president is a puppet anyway. The president don’t make no damn decisions.

The president…they don’t have that much authority basically?
Nah, never.

But Bush pretty much…
You think Bush is making fuckin’ decisions?

http://www.shadowhuntaz.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBBPhCoQ ... re=related
Penguin

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:46 am

operator kos wrote:There are a ton of conscious hip-hop artists in the Bay Area where I live...

Good to know. I might be out there next year for school, UC Davis's program is looking like the perfect mix of academics and climate. Played some Bay shows in 08 on my last tour and loved it there. Way too many people, though.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:03 am

Nordic wrote:Not to deliberately dredge up any racial aspects to this, but haven't black people always had a unique perspective on things?

No. "Black people" is a handy abstract concept but not a concrete reality, and thus has no real attributes to speak of.

Nordic wrote:Don't most of them believe O.J. is innocent and was 100% framed?

Triple No. Based on my interactions and travels and conversations I find it utterly impossible to believe there's a statistical majority of african-americans who believe that.

AIDS, though, you've got a point. Then again. I'm from Vermont, and they're all suspicious of AIDS, too. Nary a "black people" in sight, though.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby Zap » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:20 am

I always enjoyed this coincidence ...

Months before the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, an Oakland, California hip hop group called The Coup had settled on the cover for their fourth studio album Party Music. The cover featured group members Boots Riley and Pam the Funkstress using a bomb detonation device to blow up the World Trade Center.

Little did they know that shortly before the album was to be released, the iconic Twin Towers would be destroyed in a similar manner.

Great group, as well ... awesome music - and Boots Riley, the singer, is a cool guy:

Boots Speaks Out About 9-11

Last week Boots Riley and his Oakland based rap group The Coup found themselves embroiled in a controversy that was unintended. Their new album 'Party Music' was scheduled to be released. There wasn't expected to be a whole lot of fanfare. While, Boots and The Coup have a strong fan base, they are no where on the level of national popularity like Jay-Z or P-Diddy. In other words the group wasn't expected to appear on MTV 's TRL or even DFX for that matter. The Coup wasn't expected to be played on a whole lot of Top 40 commercial stations anytime soon. Boots is on 75 Ark, a small label and his politically laced lyrics and Cali style funk beats were in sharp contrast to much of the subject materialistic subject matter being embraced and promoted by mainstream outlets.

The problem that Boots ran into had to do with the front album cover which depicted Boots holding a detonator blowing up the now destroyed World Trade Center. The cover was shot several months ago and was in line with Boot's philosophy of not liking capitalism. The World Trade Towers have been viewed as a symbol of capitalism all over the world. Boot's depiction was designed to symbolize a concept, little did he know that his picture would be eerily prophetic. Shortly after the second plane crashed into the World Trade Center, Warner Brothers which distributes the album decided to wisely pull the album. All images of the World Trade being blown up were removed from websites and distributed material. However, the word had gotten out and days later The Coup's album cover was being discussed all over the country.

Talk show pundits said it was just another example of the horrors 'gangsta rap'. Others said it was nothing but tasteless, cheap exploitation. Still others felt The Coup themselves needed to be investigated to see if they had any ties to subversive forces within the US. Boots rolled through our Hard Knock Radio show the other day and talked with us and our audience about the controversial album cover. He explained why it was pulled and offered his insights to the horrific tragedies that occurred just a week ago.

Davey D: Boots how are you?

Boots: What's going on? I got a bit of a cold.

Davey D: I sat on this story for a bit because I didn't wanna bring any undue tension to you in lieu of Tuesday's tragedy. But the story is now out thereÉ I read about it on various newswires and it was being talked about last night on local news talk stationsÉI'm talking about your album coverÉ It's an eerie album cover that depicts you holding a detonator blowing up the World Trade building. Now of course this picture was taken several months ago, but its being talked about now with your album about to drop. I'm hearing people accusing The Coup of being irresponsible and unpatriotic. Others are saying you guys are trying to capitalize and exploit a horrific tragedy. I wanted to get your viewpoint on all this before it gets totally twisted. Talk about this.

Boots: Well, first the album got pulled. Second, people seem to be talking about this because the blast shown in the picture is on the same level and general area of where the planes crashed. When we originally made that picture it was in May and June. It was supposed to be a metaphor to symbolize us destroying 'capitalism'.

What The Coup talks about is what I think it takes to make a revolution. If anybody has ever listened to our music. I definitely espouse revolution and overthrowing the system. My way in which I think this has to happen is through hundreds of thousands and perhaps millions of people moving, organizing and making something happen. I do think in the end it will be a violent revolution, but I don't think it's something that will happen by the act of a few people. I wanna say that off that bat, that last Tuesday's tragic act is not something that The Coup endorses.

What happened the other day was a tragedy but the media wants to make us think that this happened in a vacuum. They don't tell us about the fact that the US ordered a hundred thousand people killed in East Timor a few years ago. We funded the operation, brought the guns and as a matter of fact had US Generals as consultants who let them do the firing.

They don't talk about the fact that the US constantly creates terrorists groups to work against other countries such as FRAPH in Haiti run by Emanuel Constant who still lives in New York. And is protected by the CIA. They went and killed thousands of people in Haiti to overthrow Aristide using the same type of terrorist tactics that the US claims to be so shocked about.

Osama bin Laden himself was a CIA operative. He was a CIA operative working for the US against the Soviets in Afghanistan. Not only was he an operative, they [the CIA] trained him on his tactics which is one of the reasons they are probably so sure its him. They know because he is using their tactics. What I'm saying is this type of stuff is the modus operandi on a yearly basis for the United States government and the corporations that back them.

Davey D: I remember when I was younger and President Regan got shot, there was a college next to my school-Lehmen college that started a club called 'The Club to Assassinate Regan'. About a week after they started the club, Regan actually got shot and everyone who was in that club got questioned by the Secret Service even though the club was formed as a joke.With this album cover and the terrorist events having transpired, have you been questioned or do you think you will be questioned by law enforcement officials? Are you concerned about your safety considering how upset and angry people are about these terrorist attacks? Do you think people will see you as unpatriotic and take their anger out on you?

Boots: I'm not concerned. I realized that anything can happen but I'm putting my political viewpoint out there. Once again my political viewpoint is what happen on Tuesday should not happened. Those attacks are not at all in line with what I'm talking about and my sympathies go out to the families and friends of all those killed. As a matter of fact, I just found out an hour ago a friend of mine was on the plane from Newark-Flight 93.
The reason why Warner Brothers pulled this album cover doesn't have anything to do with sympathy for the people because you know as well as I do that right now they are trying to buy the movie rights to what happened last Tuesday. So to them, it's not about nobody should mention this subject. It's about the fact that I might have a political viewpoint and was in a position to give my spin as to why and what happened.

If you notice, all the media outlets on television have the exact same line. There's no variation in the editorials of what should happen. Everything is about; 'spend more money on the military', and 'people should join the military'. For the first time in my life and I didn't expect to see this... Black people standing on the overpass on one of the freeways in Oakland waving the American flag. It's because of all of this hype. This is why I wanted to keep the album cover. Originally the album cover had some humor which was lost with what happened on Tuesday. But I wanted to keep the cover so I could have a platform..

Davey D: Now I was going to ask you whether or not it was your decision to pull the album. I have been getting emails from people saying that if Boots was a true revolutionary, he would've never pull the album cover. So what your saying is the final decision was out of your control?

Boots: The decision came a couple of hours into the day after the second plane crash. Warner Brothers pulled the album.

Davey D: Now we should remind people that this isn't the first time Warner Brothers has been embroiled in controversy with rap artists. They had a major problem with Ice T after he did his song 'Cop Killer'.

Boots: They also had problems with Paris and his album 'Sleeping With The Enemy'.

Davey D: That's rightÉ For folks who don't know Warner Brothers was the distribution company for Paris back in '92 when he released a song called Bush Killer. The inside cover had a picture of him standing behind a tree ready to assassinate then President Bush sr. Warner Brothers made him release the record after the 92 election... Lets take some phone calls..

Caller #1 [Kim]: Should the United States be partially accountable if bin Laden was a CIA operative that was trained by the US?

Boots: We don't know why the US is saying he did it. It could be for other reasons. The main point is the US trains terrorists. We're only up in arms now because this hit us here at home. Millions of people all over the world live in fear everydayÉ

Caller#2 [Kwame]: You know Saddam Hussein was on the CIA payroll. A lot of people don't know that Kuwait used to belong to Iraq and it was America and Britain that separated them. That's where you get BP gas stations which is British Petroleum Gas... Also your boy Noreaga in Panama. He was part of the CIA.

Boots: In Panama, they killed mad amounts of people.

Caller#2 [Kwame]: There were mass grave sites after they did those bombings.

Boots: That's what gets me so upset. Now people are up in arms about last Tuesday as if life inside the US borders are somehow make you more of a human being. We dehumanize everyone else.

Caller#2 [Kwame]: They say there are 5000 thousands kids who die everyday in Iraq because of our sanctions. In fact the US just did a bombing raid in Iraq this past Sunday just before the World Trade attacks.

Davey D: Let me ask both of you guys this.. Someone listening to this conversation may conclude that you are not patriotic and you don't love this country. If you think America is so bad, why not leave and go to another place? If you don't like the way the game is played you are free to leave. How do you respond to that?

Boots: The thing about moving to another country is that the US is running the whole wide world. Like I said earlier, people are living in fear all over the world. They are living in fear of the United States military and the military operations which are on the United States' payroll. It would not help me at all to move anywhere else. The only thing that would help me is to be where I am and where I know people so we can organize to overthrow this country.

Caller#2 [Kwame] When people say you aren't patriotic, its usually white or European Americans.Now this next point applies to them as well as many of us [African Americans]. We deny history and we are ignorant of history. This is really a colony. It's not that I'm not patriotic. I'm patriotic to truth, righteousness and justice. I appreciate this guy I heard on the radio the other day. [The Dogg House] where he said 'truth is truth'. He said we should get the people who committed these acts, but we should also tell the truth about what this government doesÉ The freedoms we have here are part of the deceptions of them [the gov't] doing all this other stuff. The CIA is training people in Central and South America to kill their own people. They set up puppet governmentsÉ A lot of people just don't know this. Some people are more political than others I'm just fighting for righteousness.

Davey D: Boots someone just sent us an email asking whether or not we should have a military? And if so what should be the purpose of the military?

Boots: The purpose of the military is to protect corporate interestsÉ Any military for any government is gonna serve whoever runs that system. Here in the US, it's the capitalist, the ruling class and the multinational corporations.

To answer the question of how the military could be run differently? That will come only when there is a drastic change to the system. The military are the guns that allow these companies to keep making their money. For example, the FRAPH organization and Emanuel Constant in Haiti was funded by Nestles and the Spaulding baseball company. That was them protecting their profits in Haiti. They didn't want Aristide to raise the minimum wage up from 10 cents an hour.

The terrorism that the US perpetrates all over the world has to do with profitsÉ

Caller#3 [Stacey]É I wanna talk a little bit about tactics. ABC News says 90% of our country supports war, but when you scroll down and look at their website you see that only 432 people were polled. I just want to encourage everyone to go into the community and share this information and hold teach ins and talk to people who may not know these things. We can counter these big media conglomerations with one on one conversations with people.

Davey D: I would just add that anyone who has what we may consider an informed perspective step it up a notch and involve themselves in these on going discussions by writing letters to the editors, calling up local radio talk shows and tv stations and basically do whatever it takes to keep these perspectives out there so people don't fall prey to only what is being handed down by mass mediaÉ We can't allow corporations to define our conversations and agenda.... Boots any last comments.

Boots: I've gotten emails from people who were mad that we would put out such a cover with or without the tragedy. People should be mad that the US is gonna use the death of these people at the World Trade Center to beef up police and to further oppress people not only here but all around the world. They are going to get the green light to basically do whatever they want. Like the last caller pointed out. They said there is 90% support from the American people, but they only polled 432 people. That's so they can have an excuse to do whatever the hell they want.

http://www.daveyd.com/bootsonthewarpolitics.html

-
Last edited by Zap on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zap

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:21 am

smiths wrote:
oh yeah, i liked your hip hop tune, still cant dig lyrics about 'pussy' and coming on your gilfriends shoes though

Hump Jones is a trojan horse, hence the vulgarity.

If I could only play one track for people, this would be that, so I uploaded it this morning:

http://wombaticusrex.bandcamp.com/track/i-see

I look for common threads where it all connects
so I've got respect for those who try and talk to God direct
I hang around with dudes who claim they found the truth
go walking with Mohmammed and watch the mountains move
but nowadays, I'm getting lost in the music
talking to Buddhists, and messing with philosophy students
...there's six billion different approaches to wisdom
I chose to focus and listen in frozen lotus positions
...before the prophets and priests perverted the essence
and left us searching and guessing with circular questions
it's getting harder to explain the simple facts
when the whole entire structure of our language is a trap
plus...it's pretty easy these days to lose your patience
and forget that all these cages are just hallucenations
...cuz once you see what's hidden in plain sight
it's impossible to go back living the same life
I AM NOT AN AMERICAN....that's just a line in the sand
and we're all the same monkeys in the final exam
so I pledge alliegance -- to Ghandi, Malcolm X and Jesus
...all of whom died for the same pathetic reason:
if you show people a small portion of truth
they miss the point completely and start worshipping you
lost in the mix, balancing the profits and risks
with the desperation that makes this economy tick
cuz even in a world of talk shows and instant messages
I can hear the emptiness behind your hollow sentences
raised to be a slave to weed, alcohol and paper schemes
obsessed with ways and means, but too afraid to dream
and if those chains were undone, could you take it and run?
...or stand around, waiting for some savior to come?
do you feel like your living stranded on a prison plant?
with a whole generation just taking this shit for granted?
....look: if optimism is dumb, I'll BE stupid
and make some theme music for those who see through it
and leave the average human with the obvious conclusion
there's are no average humans, that's an optical illusion
the king is dead....and all his servants have to fake it now
all around the world, the Control Machine is breaking down
so keep your body and mind strong and alive cuz God is inside
.....and you're a monkey that's along for the ride
and this is just a rap, so I don't want nothing back
cuz I didn't give you shit...I just showed you what you had.
Wombaticus Rex

black people

Postby wordspeak2 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:49 am

Just curious, Wombaticus, what do you mean by,
"Black people" is a handy abstract concept but not a concrete reality, and thus has no real attributes to speak of."
?

I would have thought to concur, from my experience, that, "Black people have a unique perspective on things." But, correct me here.

Of course, these positive political hip-hop artists such as Immortal Technique can may a *huge* impact. Needless to say, they took out Tupac as he was on the edge of re-sparking widespread black revolutionary spirit. Probably killed Notorious B.I.G., too, from what I understand.
wordspeak2

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:57 am

^^"Black People think XYZ" is just like "They killed Tupac" -- they who? We make it easy to distance ourselves from The Other with language tricks like that, which is comforting and rewarding and totally hinders our perception.

Generalizing is always convenient and always a mistake.

EDIT: please realizing I'm smiling while I type that, fully realizing the contradiction I dropped there. Mu.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:05 pm

Two articles from almost five years ago:

Hip-Hop & 9/11 Truth
http://www.911truth.org/article_for_pri ... 7015748817

(You must follow the above link because the story employs graphics and a colorful layout.)

&

http://www.gnn.tv/print/1016/Hip_Hop_an ... h_Movement

Hip-Hop and the 9/11 Truth Movement

Unapologetic and first to respond
By Michael Kane
Published: Wednesday December 22nd, 2004

Politics in hip-hop is nothing new, and some argue it is the fifth, or sixth, element of hip-hop – depending on where you place the art of beat boxing. Whether it’s the hard tones of Chuck D in Public Enemy, the streetwise prose of the Intelligent Hoodlum, the unapologetic words of N.W.A., or KRS 1’s “edutainment,” hip-hop has a long political tradition that is experiencing a revival from the bottom up. That revival has found a home in the self-described 9/11 Truth Movement.

The 9/11 Truth Movement started as an Internet-based research community documenting the inconsistencies in the official government version of what happened that day. As they gathered more evidence, some in the movement have taken the position that there were elements within the U.S. government and military complicit in the attacks. Others argue the government’s official story as presented in the 9/11 commission report simply doesn’t add up, and more investigation is needed before any conclusions can be made.

Likely Allies

No element of the entertainment industry responded to the mass murders of 9/11 with an inquisitive mind and bold presence – except hip-hop. Because of this, Davey D’s web site has been a significant, though unofficial, ally of the 9/11 Truth Movement, publishing articles directly related to 911 Activism.

While many icons in the so-called alternative media, such as Democracy Now’s Amy Goodman, have shied about from meaningful investigation into the unanswered questions about the attacks, hip-hop responded first to the scene providing an alternative to the alternative. With the recent reporting that there is a hip-hop task force in NYPD, it’s no wonder why the hip-hop community didn’t accept the official government version of 9/11 as gospel.

In spring of 2004, while being interviewed by Keidi Obi Awadu on LIBradio.com, this reporter spoke about the NYPD’s harassment of NY911Truth and No Police State Coalition activists while in front of Ground Zero. Keidi’s response was, “Hey, welcome to the club.”
Politics in hip-hop rose to mainstream news in the build up to election 2004. The choir of voices in hip-hop against the Bush administration included Paris, Immortal Technique, and Dead Prez, as well as Jadakiss, and Eminem. Unique to the various approaches hip-hop took to the anti-Bush consensus was the willingness to take on the most taboo political topic of all.

These voices have added to the choir, whether intentionally or unintentionally, of the 9/11 Truth Movement. With the election having disappointed at least half of the country accompanied by charges of voter fraud on Nov. 2, there is a resurgence of interest into what really happened on 9/11. This is especially true in New York where many activists feel this is all they have left to obtain justice.

Yet it was the hip-hop community who stood alone in immediate response to what was really behind 9/11. Hip-hop wasn’t afraid to ask the hard questions, make bold statements, and offer no apologies.

Paris

The first voice to speak truth to power regarding 9/11 was Paris on his release “Sonic Jihad.” No stranger to political controversy, this hip-hop legend came out of retirement to confront the man whose Daddy he stalked a decade earlier on the cover of his 1992 release Sleeping with the Enemy.

Almost immediately after 9/11, Paris expressed his uncensored thoughts regarding 9/11. In his song, What Would You Do, Paris states:
bq. Now ask yourself who’s the one with the most to gain (Bush)
‘Fore 911 motherfuckas couldn’t stand his name (Bush)

A year after 9/11 Paris published an essay entitled The War on Terror, where he held forth on everything from the Patriot Act, to CIA drug operations, to who benefited from the crimes of 9/11, to his analysis of the term “conspiracy theory.”

“Understand the label “conspiracy theory” is a tactic that the media often invokes to immediately discredit voices of dissent and people who seek truth,” writes Paris.

“The first thing that you must do is ask yourself, over and over again, the following question: ‘Who benefits?’”

Paris narrated GNN.tv’s documentary Aftermath, one of the first films to address the unanswered questions surrounding 9/11. He also teamed up with Dead Prez on his return release, “Sonic Jihad” on a song titled Tear Shit Up.

Immortal Technique

No one tackled the topic with more ferocity than Immortal Technique, the Harlem-based MC whose second release, “Revolutionary Vol. 2,” opens with an introduction by Mumia Abu Jamal from death row. Nick Levis of 911Truth.org has said “Rev. 2” is “the official soundtrack of 911Truth.org” since it was all he listened to while writing the amended complaint to Elliot Spitzer’s office calling for an independent grand jury trial investigation into the crimes of 9/11.

This is one of those special moments in history where hip-hop fans are privileged to watch a truly unique talent at the beginning of his career. In this case, Tech’s fierce independence makes the artist’s future very dangerous to the status quo. “Rev. 2” has independently sold over 35,000 copies in an unadulterated critique of American culture & politics with a focus on 9/11.

On track #13, titled “The Cause of Death,” Tech states:

I was watching the towers, and though I wasn’t the closest,
I saw them crumble to the earth like they were full of explosives

“What’s interesting about that song, and others like it, is that I see more people starting to not be afraid,” said Immortal Technique in a phone interview. “I don’t know where they were hiding their balls before. Now all of sudden I think everyone thinks its cool to be subversive because it sells records but, you know, I was rhymin’ and talkin’ about stuff like this before hand; I definitely wasn’t the only one.”

I asked what inspired that line.

“The line about the explosives comes from actual interviews and comments from firemen about the way they saw the buildings collapse – some saying they heard “loud explosions” when the buildings were collapsing. Some people have speculated that it was simply each floor caving in, but that would sound different. These are professionals saying this.”

Accounts from firefighters who were first responders at Ground Zero have raised questions into how the towers fell. A discussion recorded in an NYC fire department on 9/11 between Salvatore D’Agostino and two other firemen from America’s Morning broadcast on CNN, supports Immortal Technique’s reasoning for penning the explosive lyric. So did a report from Fire Engineering magazine saying that FEMA’s investigation into what caused the towers to collapse was a “half baked farce.” Others such as Kevin Ryan and Van Romero have added additional weight to Tech’s line of logic.
Supporting Evidence

Tech is insistent that America’s historical support and sponsorship of terrorism needs to be exposed before one take seriously understand how and why 9/11 happened. This is a history that he says has been “whitewashed.”

For example, it’s widely known that fact that Osama bin Laden was a CIA asset when fighting in Afghanistan against the Soviet Union during the late 1980s. What’s less known are the links between al Qaeda and al Qaeda-linked jihadists and U.S. intelligence that persisted throughout the 1990s.

In the Balkans, for instance, the U.S. aided the Muslim Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) in its war against the Serbs. The KLA was widely known to be involved in drug smuggling and to have included mujahdeen fighters from across the Muslim world. A 1998 Senate Republican Policy Committee report noted that the KLA “is closely involved in terrorist organizations motivated by the ideology of radical Islam, including assets of Iran and the notorious Osama bin Laden.”

In the late 90s, the U.S. government, and U.S. oil companies, played ball with Afghanistan’s ruthless Taliban regime, over the complaints of human rights groups. The Taliban received much of its support from (some say it was a creation of) Pakistan’s ISI (Pakistan’s CIA). The ISI was the conduit by which much of the CIA’s anti-Soviet operations were funneled, and the close relationship remained.

On 9/11, the Gen. Mahmoud Ahmad headed the ISI. An Indian intelligence report forwarded to Washington D.C. and cited by the Times of India and Agence France Press (AFP) revealed that Ahmed had authorized a $100,000 wire transfer to Mohammed Atta prior to 9/11. Atta was, of course, the alleged ringleader of the 9/11 attacks. ABC News had earlier reported FBI sources confirmed that such a transaction from a Pakistani bank to Atta occurred.

On 9/11 itself Mahmoud Ahmad was in Washington D.C. on an official visit having breakfast with then-Sen. Bob Graham (D-Fla.) and then-Rep. Porter Goss (R-Fla.), heads of the Senate and House intelligence committees respectively. The congressional investigation into 9/11 – headed by these very men – never mentioned Mahmoud Ahmad, never mentioned the $100,000 wire transfer to Atta, and never mentioned that Graham and Goss were having breakfast with Ahmad as 9/11 unfolded.

In August 2004, Porter Goss was tapped by Bush to head the CIA.
Follow My Lead on a Journey

While Immortal Technique and Paris were first in hip-hop to respond to these realities, Jadakiss later penned the line, “Why did Bush knock down the towers” in his #1 hit single, “Why?” Billboard Magazine quoted Jadakiss as saying, “I just felt he (Bush) had something to do with it. That’s why I put it in the song. A lot of my people felt he had something to do with it.”

That seems to be the general vibe on the street, especially in New York where both Jadakiss and Immortal Technique are from. A recent Zogby poll commissioned by the 9/11 Truth movement found half of New York City residents believed the Bush administration had foreknowledge of the 9/11 attacks and “consciously failed” to act.

“New Yorkers can smell bullshit,” said Immortal Technique. “Everyday in New York there’s some bullshit, some hustle. Someone’s trying to sell you a phone that doesn’t work, a fake Movado. New Yorkers aren’t gullible…you can’t charge somebody with a crime without a motive. New Yorkers look at the crime (of 9/11) and they see a motive…(the Bush administration’s) motivation is money & power…

But Jadakiss later backed away from his original position in an interview with the Washington Post. This was after Bill O’Reilly had called the song an “atrocity” and Jadakiss a “smear merchant.”

“Obviously it’s just a metaphor,” Jadakiss told the Washington Post.

Reliable sources say Jadakiss changed his tune because he didn’t know the facts surrounding 9/11 to properly respond and make his case. In his interview with the Post, Jadakiss referenced Fahrenheit 9/11 for much of his information. According to Immortal Technique, Moore’s documentary is “just scratching the surface.”

9/11 Truth activists were very excited by the buzz hip-hop created by hip-hop around the entire issue, but no one expected what was to come next. Eminem teamed up with GNN’s Ian Inaba to produce Mosh, which opens up with a re-enactment of Bush in Booker Elementary School continuing to read about a pet goat while America was under attack on 9/11.

The groundwork had been laid in 2002 when GNN.tv produced White America with Eminem, a politically charged video that was banned from MTV. But the second time around went way beyond all expectations, even reaching #1 on MTV’s TRL.

Come Together

“The most disgraceful thing that takes away from everything we are trying to do to expose truth and find out who the terrorists are and who wants to hurt America,” says Tech, “is I don’t think we’re doing enough to show the American public whose benefiting from those trying to hurt America.”

Tech spells it out whose benefiting in The Cause of Death:

And just so conservatives don’t take it to heart
I don’t think Bush did it, cause he isn’t that smart
He’s just a stupid puppet taking orders on his cell phone
From the same people that sabotaged Senator Wellstone
bq. The Military Industry, has got it poppin’ and lockin’
Looking for a way to justify the Wolfowitz doctrine
And as a mater of fact Rumsfeld, now that I think back,
Without 9/11, you couldn’t have a war in Iraq

Or a defense budget of world conquest proportion,
Kill freedom of speech, and revoke the right to abortion
Tax cut extortion, a blessing to the wealthy and wicked,
But you still have to answer to the Armageddon you’ve scripted

And Dick Cheney you fuckin’ leach, tell ‘em your plan
About building your pipe-line, through Afghanistan

Tech’s latest release has brought another hip-hop icon into the fold of 9/11 Truth – Mos Def. The song titled, Bin Laden, was featured on a mix-tape from DJ Green Lantern titled Shade 45: Sirius Bizness_. The song features Mos Def on the chorus saying:
bq. Bin Laden didn’t blow up the projects. It was you n*gga, tell the truth n*gga

This is reminiscent of the message from Dead Prez in their song Know Your Enemy, where Stickman says Bin Laden wasn’t targeting his community:

They wasn’t aimin’ at us. Not in my house!
They hit the World Trade, the Pentagon and almost got the Whitehouse

The chorus states, “George Bush is way worse than Bin Laden is.”

But in the song, “Bin Laden,” Mos Def is followed by a sample of the controversial Jadakiss line from “Why?” saying Bush knocked Down the Towers. At the end of the song Eminem is sampled:

Fuck money, I don’t rhyme for dead presidents,
I’d rather see the president dead, it’s never been said,
But I set precedents.

This line caused Em to be investigated by the Secret Service, though they determined he was “no threat” to the president. “Bin Laden” ends with a final word from Eminem:

Shady Records was 80 seconds away from the towers,
Some cowards fucked with the wrong buildings, they meant to hit ours.

Eminem is launching a new Sirius digital satellite radio channel called Shade 45. Let’s hope it will be a safe haven for revolutionary music for years to come. Eminem boasts that he will use the station to launch “exclusive and uncensored hip-hop.”

Michael Kane is a freelance journalist who fronts Clarity, the group who released the song buddy buddy in 2002 that detailed U.S. Air Force response on 9/11. They’ve just released a 2nd edition to their 2nd CD, titled THIS IS NOT A TEST, featuring the song Seven which focuses on the still unexplained implosion of WTC 7.

http://gnn.tv/articles/1016/Hip_Hop_and ... h_Movement
JackRiddler

Next

Return to General Discussion