Adam Curtis

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Adam Curtis

Postby Stephen Morgan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:54 pm

"Adam is such a contrarian" -- Jon Ronson

"We all do it. All journalists. We create stories out of fragments. We travel all over the world, propelled onwards by something, we sit in people's houses, our notepads in our hands, and we wait for the gems. And the gems invariably turn out to be the madness - the extrem, outermost aspects of that person's personality - the irrational anger, the anxiety, the paranoia, the narcissism, the things that would be defined within DSM as mental disorders."
-- Adam Curtis
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:10 pm

The phrase "two cheeks of the same arse" comes to mind.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby elephant » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:52 pm

All due respect to the ire of MacCruiskeen whose contributions I have valued on this site, but I'm excited to have discovered Curtis' blog.

The first thing I read there is his entry on Syria which is fucking excellent. The approach itself with its compelling essay/narrative punctuated by images AND short videos seems brilliant. Text balanced by image. Consideration and sensation. Small but substantial interconnecting bits.

Might just be me, but this seems like a strong technique for creative transmission.
elephant

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:14 am

One of Curtis' docs. will tell you that "Lee Harvey Oswald may have been a KGB-hypnoprogrammed assassin!'

Pffhhh.. Don't forget that Curtis' material is publicized by the MI6-BBC. duhh.
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby 8bitagent » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:35 am

As much as I am enjoying his Kabul city visual/written/video blog posts, I wish he could have turned it into a documentary.

I get the criticism, and loved the brilliant spoof on youtube of his style...but I just find his stuff hallucinary and brilliant. I seem him more of a cutup artist than purely a journalist, one which I find intoxicating.

Also, is it me or did the Muslim world seem more laid back and chill before 1979 and total US intervention? Images and videos of Cairo in the late 60's, Kabul even in the 70's...amazing, almost "mod". Seeing a smart, independent beautiful woman like Bhutto with so much respect in that sort of culture...we really don't see much of this today.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:50 am

For some reason that reminded me of this song mac.

Joe Hillshoist

Postby 8bitagent » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:55 am

Joe Hillshoist wrote:For some reason that reminded me of this song mac.

Nice! Surprised I never heard of this act. Reminds me a bit of Killing Joke
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Stephen Morgan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:09 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2 ... unday.html

THE DOWNFALL OF A PRESS BARON

As we wait to see whether Rupert Murdoch will fall from power and lose control of News International, I thought I would tell the extraordinary and forgotten story of the dramatic downfall of the newspaper mogul who used to dominate Britain before Rupert Murdoch arrived.

Cecil King ran the Daily Mirror - along with over two hundred other papers and magazines - and was as powerful and influential in 1960s Britain as Murdoch would become in the 1980s. The Daily Mirror dominated Fleet Street - and politicians bowed down to its power and influence.

But in 1968 Cecil King became convinced that Britain was heading for disaster - and he decided to engineer what in effect would be a political coup. He was going to use the Daily Mirror to try and bring down the Labour government.

Many in the Labour Party have believed ever since that Cecil King was conspiring with members of MI5 to destroy the democratically elected government, but there appears to be no hard evidence for this.

The truth is that King was in league with more familiar "rogue elements" - senior City of London bankers, including the Governor of the Bank of England, who wanted to force the Labour government to slash the financial deficit. But the Prime Minister, Harold Wilson, was refusing to bow to their demands.

At the same time as this was happening, many of the journalists in Fleet Street were filled with a terrible doom about the future of newspapers. As a result the BBC got excited and went and made all sorts of films about newspapers - recording Fleet Street before it died. Some of the material they filmed is just wonderful - it is full of both touching and silly moments of an old world of journalism.

It also forms a fascinating backdrop to the strange story of Cecil King because much of the BBC material was shot inside the newsrooms of the Mirror, the Express, and the Times at the very moment King was planning his coup. So I decided to make a documentary film which both told the King story and also let some of the archive run longer than normal because it is so fascinating.

I have no idea who most of the journalists are who appear - but I'd love to find out.

Here it is. It's still a rough cut. As well as all the BBC stuff there is also a wonderful bit from the brilliant ITN Source archive - they kept the camera running as Harold Wilson rehearsed an address to the nation.

There's a video at the link.

Many in the Labour Party have believed ever since that Cecil King was conspiring with members of MI5 to destroy the democratically elected government, but there appears to be no hard evidence for this.

Well, that's bullshit. I've got a couple of books: Leigh's "Wilson Plot" and Ramsay and Dorrill's "Smear!", but of the top of my head there are several journalists who have admitted putting out information from the intelligence services, and Peter Wright who was in MI5 at the time says there was a cadre of officers faking evidence to use against Wilson. That's an unusually large amount of evidence for activities of a secret organisation, don't you think?

The truth is that King was in league with more familiar "rogue elements" - senior City of London bankers, including the Governor of the Bank of England, who wanted to force the Labour government to slash the financial deficit. But the Prime Minister, Harold Wilson, was refusing to bow to their demands.

Both Labour governments of the 60s came into government having been left large trade and budget deficits by the Tories, and left office leaving large surpluses for the Tories. This "ooh, inflation, deficit, irresponsible Labour spending" meme is late-era Tory propaganda.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Harvey » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:47 am

New Adam Curtis documentary available tomorrow night, Hyper Normalisation:

And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Joao » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:53 am

Joao

Postby Jerky » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:02 am

Okay, that BINGO card is brilliant, I admit, but Curtis' documentaries are STILL required viewing!

Century of the Self, All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace, The Trap, Bitter Lake, Power of Nightmares (my favorite), and now HyperNormalisation are ALL jam packed with ideas that any conscious individual in this post-post-modern world needs to grapple with if they wish to call themselves TRULY awake and alive and conscious anymore (unless, that is, you're someone who is already well acquainted with, and who deals with, the prima materia that Curtis uses in the construction of his films).

Jerky
Jerky

Postby justdrew » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:03 am

well, so far I agree with the first 2 minutes of HyperNormalisation fully, spot on. and this is directly tied in with why I called the "simulationist" concept's popularity an 'American Ghost Dance'

but then, if every thing has it's end, what about things that aren't real? Probably even more so.

( I can't be bothered to play along with the score card, but it is temping ;-) )
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby 82_28 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:27 am

Here's the full thing. Just released. Haven't watched it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFtsrjlsclQ
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:12 am

God fucking dammit. I figured it would get yanked. It was. Sorry about that, everyone. I think I have it loaded up in my browser so I can finish it in the morning. WTF is BBC scared of? Who the fuck cares? It says BBC at the top left. There are no ads. Fucking leave it be. But it is quite good. Duh. So I guess you gotta find HyperNormalisation on your own.

Bummer.

We'll figure it out.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby lucky » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:55 am

Free to watch on the BBCi player (maybe just in the UK?) - watched the 1st hour pretty mind blowing....who knew the ayatollah started suicide bombing? not me, its a fascinating view -will finish at the w/e
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion