A Handmaid's Tale

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

A Handmaid's Tale

Postby 82_28 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:32 pm

On the brink? You tell me. Atwood must be some sort of prophet or a self fulfilling prophecy wonk.

I think we're on the brink. . .

http://dystopianchallenge.blogspot.com/ ... eview.html

It was after the catastrophe, when they shot the president and machine-gunned the Congress and the army declared a state of emergency. They blamed it on the Islamic fanatics, at the time. Keep calm, they said on television. Everything is under control. - From The Handmaid's Tale, page 174-

Margaret Atwood's futuristic novel - The Handmaid's Tale - is timeless and relevant. Set in the fictional Republic of Gilead and spanning the Eastern seaboard of the United States after the collapse of the American government, the novel is narrated by Offred...a young Handmaid whose sole purpose in life now is to be the vessel for producing a baby for the upper classes. Atwood creates a terrifying hierarchy with men being "on top" and women being relegated to a variety of freedom-less classes such as Wives (top ranked married women who are unable to conceive), Daughters (the adopted offspring of wives), Marthas (infertile, single, older women whose skills at domesticity keep them from being shipped off to the Colonies), Econowives (low-ranked married women who must "do it all"), Handmaids (fertile women whose sole function is to provide babies for the upper echelon), Aunts (the only women who have any autonomy and are used to train and monitor the Handmaids), and Jezebels (the prostitutes who are hidden away in hotels and used for men's pleasure). Atwood uses irony effectively with Biblical references and play on words to craft a compelling story.

The novel questions how much freedom we are willing to give up in the guise of safety. Viewed in respect to our current world and political environment of red alerts, government lies to enact war, terrorism, airline security, phone tapping and the whittling away of individual freedoms...The Handmaid's tale is a thought-provoking expose on what could happen when we willingly give up our freedoms to supposedly ensure our safety. Are we on a slippery slope? Atwood also questions our sources of information (ie: the news media).

The anchorman comes on now. His manner is kindly, fatherly; white hair and candid eyes, wise wrinkles around them, like everybody's ideal grandfather. What he's telling us, his level smile implies, is for our own good. Everything will be all right soon. I promise. There will be peace. you must trust. you must go to sleep, like good children. He tells us what we long to believe. He's very convincing. -From The Handmaid's Tale, page 83-

Atwood is a genius at creating character. Offred's voice is pitch perfect, taking the reader step by step through her horrible story. Even Serena Joy, the Commander Fred's wretched wife, elicits sympathy from the reader. Atwood's skill with language has never been more spot on then in this novel where she twists words and phrases, showing the reader that all is not as it seems.

But all of that was pertinent only in the night, and had nothing to do with the man you loved, at least in daylight. With that man you wanted it to work, to work out. Working out was also something you did to keep you body in shape, for the man. If you worked out enough, maybe the man would too. Maybe you would be able to work it out together, as if the two of you were a puzzle that could be solved; otherwise, one of you, most likely the man, would go wandering off on a trajectory of his own, taking his addictive body with him and leaving you with bad withdrawal, which you could counteract by exercise. If you didn't work it out, it was because one of you had the wrong attitude. Everything that went on in your life was thought to be due to some positive or negative power emanating from inside your head. -From The Handmaid's Tale, pages 226-227-

I was hooked by the story from page one and read it straight through in two days.

The Handmaid's Tale is on the ALA's list of 100 most banned books. It was short listed for the Booker Prize in 1986, won the Governor General's Award in Canada in 1985, and made the Orange Prize list of 50 Essential Reads. Brilliant, chilling, suspenseful, and masterly written - this novel is a modern classic.

Highly recommended; rated 5/5.

To read more about this novel, check out Wikipedia. Also here.
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:35 pm

Most of the book, I believe, can be read here btw:

http://books.google.com/books?id=UbLgCJ ... navlinks_s
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:42 pm

Which isn't to say I just read the book. I probably read it about 10 years ago. Recent developments have given me a sorta pause, as they say. And probably many readers here have already read it as well.

Again, just throwin' shit out there. . .

:)
82_28

Postby Peregrine » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:33 pm

Saw the movie quite a long time ago. Books are always so much better than the movies, I'll have to read it.
Peregrine

Postby Cordelia » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:35 pm

Great writer and book--it's been more than ten years since I read it. Thanks for the reminder.

Recently I was shocked to hear a young, intelligent, beautiful young woman seriously contemplate selling her eggs. Another source of revenue as jobs decrease. Are these the beginning stages of what Atwood describes?
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby AlicetheKurious » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:44 am

It's a genuine tour de force -- I also was hooked from the first page, couldn't stop reading it until the end. The heroine's calm narration only makes her tale more chilling and frightening.

However, I was especially intrigued by the subtle methods that "rebels" used for identifying and communicating with each other; how, for example, a split-second glance can forge a death-defying link between two enslaved people.

Although the world Atwood describes is very ugly, and enough parallels exist with our own to make it deeply disturbing, there is paradoxically something almost exhilarating in her recognition that the human spirit is not as easy to enslave and destroy as the human body, that while it can be done, there will always be some renegades left, who retain their humanity and ability to see and think for themselves. That may not seem like much, in a world as dark as the one in "A Handmaid's Tale" (or ours, for that matter). but without those sparks to light the way, there can be no going back.
"If you're not careful the newspapers will have you hating the oppressed and loving the people doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X
AlicetheKurious

Re: A Handmaid's Tale

Postby 82_28 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:46 am

Heads up.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/hulus-the-handma ... 1789607271

Hulu's The Handmaid's Tale Will Contrast Its Dark Story With Gorgeous Visuals
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:16 am

Just realized I named the OP wrong. Not "A Handmaid's Tale" but "The Handmaid's Tale". Anyway. Sorry about that from circa 2009 82_28. :partyhat
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Cordelia » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:06 am

Premiers tonight for Hulu members...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZJGegIS9Lw
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Return to General Discussion