googly eyed ?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:18 pm

But to be clear, Jeff's choice is Jeff's choice and I don't even care enough to check back into this thread after the post you're reading now. Said my piece, my piece didn't matter, no big deal.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Maddy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:11 pm

compared2what? wrote:Maddy! What are you suggesting?

Remember yourself!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROFLMAO!

I had never seen that before! OMG! So true! So true!

We're going to have to watch each other, C2W! XD
Be kind - it costs nothing. ~ Maddy ~
Maddy

Postby Percival » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:37 pm

I have actually been reading this forum since long before Jeff transferred it to this server, back on the original RI forum and I have never in all that time felt that I had to tip toe around and watch what I say because a certain few posters will always stick their nose in and make a stink of something that they feel is somehow offensive to them or someone else.

I can no longer say that about this place, you now have to watch everything you say because a growing number of extremely hypersensitive members have hijacked the place and turned it in to their own little playground. They take everything everyone says personally and try and spin it in such a way that the person posting it is insensitive to their experiences, they selectively pick out certain words or comments, take them out of context and suggest the poster is racist, homophobic, rude and uncaring. It has gotten to the point that every thread turns in to a pissing match specifically because of this particular group of posters who have somehow gotten the idea that they are the forums thought police, derailing entire discussions and topics to push their agenda and put themselves front and center all other discussions be damned. It is ridiculous and it is really making this place a lot less enjoyable and anything but rigorous and inituitive debate. It is now becoming clear that if you want to be accepted around here and not accused of being politically incorrect, insenstive, racist etc, then you better walk on egg shells and spend a few hours considering every single word you choose to post so as not to offend the thin-skinned among us.

It isnt what it once was thats for sure. Ive nearly lost all interest lately.
Percival

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:00 am

You guys ... i just wish you had been in Australia watching Hey hey ... over the last month or so.

Also, how would you guys in the states feel about someone calling Van Jones a "vile watermelon man"? Just out of interest...
Joe Hillshoist

Postby chiggerbit » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:26 am

chiggerbit

Postby MinM » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:37 am

Earth-704509
MinM

Postby compared2what? » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:04 am

Wombaticus Rex wrote:
compared2what? wrote:You kind of lost me somewhere in there. What part of that is food for thought, and what thought is it food for?

"Googly Eyed" is supposed to be "racist" -- referring to black people. Yet the phrase is derived from, and refers to, something white people did. Created. Perpetuated. My point is that it's a weird loop, where it never actually referred to black people at any point, but today we're here calling it "racist" out of deference to -- what exactly?

It's like this. We have two basic set-ups. And they are:

(1) Al Jolsen wearing blackface. He is:

a white man depicting a man from a darker-skinned race as googly-eyed.

(2) John D. Caucasian referring to an Arab Muslim as a "Googly-eyed Muslim." He is:

a white man depicting a man from a darker-skinned race as googly-eyed.

Is that clear? Good.

Blackface performance in the United States became hugely popular around, let's say 1850, give or take a decade. And its memes, traditions, characters, and set-ups lasted in one hugely popular form of entertainment or another until the 1950s. In the U.S. mainstream. It's still done by amateurs for private entertainment.

Anyway. The classic minstrel-show tradition peaked in the 1890s or so. Before that, in the ante-bellum south, such shows were viewed as funny-because-they-were-a-true reason why slavery was really the only happy or safe condition in which black people (as depicted by white people with burnt cork on their faces, using made-up dialect and playing lying, lazy, imbeciles, who were also chicken-thieves and watermelon-eaters with no morals, subnormal intelligence, and a childlike love of singing, dancing, cotton-picking, and stepping and fetching it) could happily or safely live.

And I'd say that wasn't "supposed to be" racist. It was racist. Also, btw, there were some black blackface performers in that era. I mean, they were African-American performers. However, since they couldn't have performed anywhere unless they played minstrel-show stock characters in blackface, that's what they did. Starting roughly in the twenties or a little before, black entertainers began to play the same stock characters without blackface, eventually as less obviously cartoonish and degraded comical types -- ie, the sassy maid, the easily comically terrified malapropism-uttering job-shirking bellboy, and so forth. Some became stars that way, Steppin Fetchit being one example. Or Buckwheat and Farina, who were both classic pickanninies. As was less classically, Butterfly McQueen in Gone With the Wind. In which Hattie McDaniel, the first black woman to win an Academy Award, was -- obviously, a Mammy.

McDaniel actually got her start in a black minstrel show act, before they died out. She was the target of criticism in the South, where it was felt she spoke too freely to her employer and in the North, where eventually the NAACP called her out for playing sassy-maid types. (Her response was that she would rather play a maid for $700 a week than be one for $7. And that's A-Okay with me, obviously, insofar as it's even my business. However, I do think it's a shame that those were her only choices, and I imagine that even though she made the best of it, so did she. She was a singer-songwriter originally and before all else. She just couldn't make a living in show business that way.)

In any event, not all of it was cut-and-dried "We Hate Niggers" racism at every juncture for every second. Al Jolson wasn't like that at all, in fact. Neither, exactly, were Amos 'N' Andy who basically did radio blackface up until the 1950s. Also, I think people of all races should decide for themselves where to draw their boundaries on these and, for that matter, all other issues, in accordance with their own good consciences. FWIW, I totally oppose the banning of all and any words, as words, including ones I find hateful. If I had to, I'd fight for the right of Nazis to march through Jewish neighborhoods in Skokie, Illinois. (Wiki summary here for the kids who don't get that reference.)

Because they do have the same basic rights -- including freedom of assembly and freedom of speech, which either apply to nobody or to everybody -- that I have. And that I believe people need to have in order to be part of a free society. Which, by my lights, includes, among other things, being free to think for themselves and also to express their thoughts freely, using the words they believe best convey their intended meaning. And/or meanings.

Is that clear? Good.

The memory and feelings of Al Jolson and 10,000 other minstrel dipshits wearing blackface in Heaven right now?

The stereotypes that originated then have never died entirely. Some of them haven't even faded very much. The overwhelming majority of African-Americans still have to conform to various "Good Negro" standards, as defined by the dominant culture in whatever part of this very, very large country they call home, if they want -- for example, to work in one of the professions that are dominant-culture white. Which would be all of them, btw.*** And even then, they'll get followed by floorwalkers in stores and pulled over by cops for driving while black and, pretty much inevitably, have to routinely and frequently hear people of all races saying racist shit, or endorsing racist stereotypes, or whatever the fuck, both intentionally or unintentionally -- year in, year out, for the whole of their lives. Because this is a very racist society.

That last part is my opinion. I base it on the best information available to me. Since not all information is available to me -- or, for that matter, to any individual -- it could be wrong. But I believe it to be right in good faith. And by my standards, inequality and injustice based on race, gender, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, political belief, et cetera are categorically unacceptable.

For a number of reasons. One of which is that perpetuating it is one of the principle means by which the handful of people who have been ruling the world since the year dot stay in power. Except that they don't perpetuate it, no matter what they fucking think. We do. Although we don't have to. Or at least I don't have to. So I don't, as best I can. As the hyper-sensitive Dr. King said, injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. Feel free to disagree. Because you are free to disagree.

Finally, to frankly exercise my right to speak freely, there's another part of your argument the logic of which I can't quite follow. And it's this:

I maintain that people should think about the racist connotations of using the word "googly-eyed" to describe bogeymen of dark-skinned racial heritage. Jeff has provided one citation that flatly and indisputably shows that it does have those connotations in that context. To which I could add any number of others, although for expediency's sake, here's a [color]link[/color] to a brief YouTube montage that pretty much covers it.

As I understand it, your position is that your unfamiliarity with those connotations renders them meaningless. How do you fucking figure that? Exactly? Because for one thing, although you might have never have heard about them before, now you have. And for another, your never having heard about 100 years of very popular and widely known racist imagery doesn't actually mean that it doesn't exist or have connotations for a very large number of other people. Including not only racists, as I mentioned earlier, but -- PS -- virtually all American members of the race they hate. Not all of whom feel the same way about them, obvi-fucking-ously. But, you know, it's kind of self-evident that they're generally very fucking insulting, demeaning and dehumanizing. How would you feel?

If it's not a major issue to you, for whatever reason, that's fine. I wouldn't call you names -- ie, racist, hyper-insensitive, et cetera -- if so. I'd do what I fucking did. Which was ask people to think about the implications of the word (of which they're now aware if they're reading this) before they used it. After which, they'd be free to use it or not as many times as they felt like doing. Just as I'd be free to ask them to think about the implications, as many times as I felt like doing. Which I seriously doubt is going to be very frequently, if ever, btw. But either way, fundamentally, if your position had always been that it didn't strike you as a very big deal, I'd still know you were basically of like mind to me, in political terms, as well as an excellent writer and thinker in whose opinion I'm interested.

My point?

Glad you asked.

I wouldn't fucking feel that you were imposing on me, threatening me or -- in short -- committing any offense against me or the world that justified the kind of "la-la-la, I can't hear you, yet I somehow know that you're overemotional in some way that calls your judgment-into question anyway, in addition to which, it's people like you who have ruined Christmas and the RI forum by freely speaking your opinion which differs from mine and therefore must be invalidated and denied" response that, in one form or another, I'm getting from you, elfismiles, Percival, xsicbastards, and possibly Norton Ash, although possibly not. It wasn't clear to me what his point was.

But that wasn't always your position. Apparently it is now, what with:

Wombaticus Rex wrote:But to be clear, Jeff's choice is Jeff's choice and I don't even care enough to check back into this thread after the post you're reading now. Said my piece, my piece didn't matter, no big deal.

Sorry. But to continue to speak frankly, frankly you'd already gone more than a little too far to walk it back to "but I don't really care about you or your point much one way or the other, though I do respect Jeff" when you were back at "too fucking stupid to actually BE racist." Or, as you put it, when you said your piece. In dismissive and insulting terms. Without making a case for it that had any substance beyond that (a) It was news to you; and (b) references to past racist caricatures by white people can't be racist because they're not really references to the racist caricatures but to the white people.

Which doesn't exactly do much to support that "what you say is too fucking stupid to take seriously" line of rebuttal. Frankly.

That said, you're under no obligation to respond. And I won't hold it against you if you don't. It's your judgment call. I'm sure that whichever way you make it, it will be because in your judgment, that's the right way. In the event that you decide not to reply, as I see it, basically:

I think you and others got your panties in a bunch and counterpunched when no punch had been thrown. I just made my case for that, and absent new and unaddressed points, I'm done. You and others think pretty much the same about me as I do about you. And you've also made and concluded your case for that. I still like all of you. Cheers.

*** And yes, I'm including the NBA, or whatever similarly superficially non-dominated-by-white-people example someone may be thinking of bringing up. That I can think of, anyway. But, hey people! I'd be happy to be wrong, so if you know of an exception, ask yourself "Who owns it, who patronizes it, and who makes the rules for it ultimately?" and if it's still an exception, please pipe up.
compared2what?

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:59 am

Joe Hillshoist wrote:You guys ... i just wish you had been in Australia watching Hey hey ... over the last month or so.

Also, how would you guys in the states feel about someone calling Van Jones a "vile watermelon man"? Just out of interest...

Just out of interest ... cos ... van Jones is a former Obama admin guy, and he was called a watermelon man on a blog comment here.

I called the individual, who by coincidence happens to think people should be free to use the word nigger (so do I but on the proviso that if you use it round me I am free to punch you in the head,) or any other racist speech, on it. He was stunned when I called him racist for calling a black man in America "vile watermelon man". As far as I can tell he was genuine, and I basically hung shit on about it for days or weeks before coming to that conclusion. he adamantly claimed that wasn't what he meant, and in his favour, he's the sort of obnoxious jerk who wouldn't bother with that sort of dnial.

He claimed that he used the term in reference to Jones politics, that he was green on the outside and red on the inside. Its a common use of that term in Australia, specifically to make the point that any greenie is at heart a dirty pinko commie bastard. Pretty much everyone I have talked to about this is ignorant of the racist overtones of the term, most greenies I know say they have been called watermelons and none of them are black.

Then there are the two cases of people performing in blackface in Australia in the last month. One on hey hey its saturday. Its on youtube somewhere. The other - John Safran wandered around Chicago for a while claiming to be a black man raised by white jewish people who always told him to stop trying to be black.

John Safran is a pasty white guy who grew up wanting to be a black rapper, anbd now does tv shows in Australia. I like him, actually, I'm immature like that.

Although there is a world of difference between the two. Personally I don't find either example racist (cept on the part of the hey hey production people, who obviously know the historical context), but one certainly could be taken that way, both if you were looking for excuses to be offended.

Of course this is a situation where you have to judge each case on its merits, and on the specifics, not on some general principle.

I can see your exasperation tho. You can lead a horse (or a wombat in this case) to water, but you can't make them think. No matter how much food they irrigate with that water.

Thats complete bollocks actually. You can't actually make a wombat do anything. Stubborn hairy nosed bloody things that they are.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Zap » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:56 am

82_28 wrote:
We have a googly eyed Muslim army major who massacres a bunch of his comrades.

Another googly eyed Muslim getting tried as a "terrorist" in a civilian court for crimes committed on 9-11.

Another googly eyed man named Muhammed got executed AT 9:11 the other night.

And now Obama's googly eyed brother has spilled the beans about an abusive man, raised within the Islamic faith and just so happens to be Osababama's dad.

If you weren't trying to stir the pot or be racist, why the repetition of "googly eyed" at all? What non-racist meaning did it add?
Zap

Postby elfismiles » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:50 pm

Wow! Glad this post stirred debate.

I certainly respect Jeff and cohorts moderator-needs. It just seemed awfully sudden to me to lock a thread after 2 posts that seemed so innocuous to me.

As others have pointed out... a lot of folks are ignorant of perceived racial overtones to a variety of phrases.

I am vehemently against Hate Speech Laws and Hate Crimes Legislation. But on the other hand, I feel that owners of an establishment (even virtual digital kingdoms like RI) certainly have a right to restrict / control what types of dialogue they want in their online house / backyard.

The soft spot in my heart for freedom of speech is what caused my knee-jerk reaction of starting this thread as well as posting this one:

http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board/v ... hp?t=25879

I've often joked that I am a racist in so much as I know I am biased and bigoted as I think all people are. And there ARE differences among the beautiful variety of ethnicities we share this planet with. So while I recognize that RACE is a misnomer I also recognize that we are all different and yet we are all human with feelings and souls and intellects that go far beyond the melanin within our skins and the other differences that make us all so unique.

Peace out! Off to lunch...
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby beeline » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:09 pm

I take offense because 'googly-eyed' is CLEARLY a reference to Cookie Monster, and I take all denigrating comments towards Cookie Monster as patently offensive.

Last edited by beeline on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beeline

Postby Percival » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:24 pm

I didnt see anything racist about the posters comment at all but then again I dont troll every thread looking for the slightest little fucking thing to take issue with so I can jump somebody's ass and make them look like a racist while making myself look enlightened and beyond reproach.

When I read the comment I took the poster to mean THAT IS HOW THE MEDIA PRESENTS these people to us, with sort of a Manson-like stare which could very easily be called "googly eyed."

Googly eyed indeed.
Percival

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:38 pm

When I read the comment I took the poster to mean THAT IS HOW THE MEDIA PRESENTS these people to us, with sort of a Manson-like stare which could very easily be called "googly eyed."

Yeah that may have been their point...

But you know, the US media would never be racist about non whites. It just doesn't happen and it never has. I thought that was obvious...

(Also, Mark Obama is about as far from googly eyed as you can be. If his eyelids were any closer his eyes would be closed. he looks like he has been punching cones for hours in that WaPo article.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby 82_28 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:55 pm

Zap wrote:
82_28 wrote:
We have a googly eyed Muslim army major who massacres a bunch of his comrades.

Another googly eyed Muslim getting tried as a "terrorist" in a civilian court for crimes committed on 9-11.

Another googly eyed man named Muhammed got executed AT 9:11 the other night.

And now Obama's googly eyed brother has spilled the beans about an abusive man, raised within the Islamic faith and just so happens to be Osababama's dad.

If you weren't trying to stir the pot or be racist, why the repetition of "googly eyed" at all? What non-racist meaning did it add?

Sweet jumpin' Jesus trampoline center. Sometimes you can't win to lose. I recognize that. I was PRECISELY pointing out the inherent and implicit racism that such actions play into the hands of. I thought at the time I was attempting to extrapolate the intended effect of an anti-muslim "psyop". Period.

I also thought most here may appreciate the irony of "googly eyed" dudes insofar as the clear and obvious MO of these recent developments. And BTW, I used to work in a liquor store in Denver many years ago and "googly eyed" was the term we all used to refer to the very far gone alkies. It's a term I've always used. And frankly, thinking about it, it only refers to crazy people when I employ the term.

Yes, I am still beating my wife.
82_28

Postby compared2what? » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Percival wrote:I didnt see anything racist about the posters comment at all

I gathered that. And I find it non-indicative of anything about you or the world that isn't a part of that self-admission. You, Percival, know and think many interesting things. You don't happen to know that the phrase "googly-eyed" has racist connotations when it's applied to a person of color. As I've said, I assumed that the poster didn't either. That's why I posted. As I've also said. I should have made an explicit statement to that effect, and I regret that I didn't. I've already said that, too.

It may have escaped your attention, but I haven't actually called anyone on this thread (or the tangentially related thread to which I linked in my apology to 82_28) a racist. And I'm not calling you one now. Because I don't think it. I think we're equals. I also think you're my ally in most things wrt specifics, as well as virtually all things wrt general principle and ideology.

I further think that it's utterly unsurprising that you and most RI posters aren't (or weren't) aware that the phrase "googly-eyed" has racist connotations when it's applied to a person of color. Racial politics in America are as complex and dense with detail as the politics of 9/11 truth in America. Most people aren't routinely exposed to much reliable or in-depth information on either of those subjects. RI posters, as a group, are a blessed exception when it comes to the politics of 9/11 truth.

That has no implications one way or the other for the depth of group knowledge and/or interest in racial politics. It's rarely the main focus of discussion here, and it's never discussed in much complex detail when it is, at least as far as I'm aware. Gross racism is definitely recognized and harshly condemned when it's expressed. Which leads me to believe that RI posters as a group aren't racists. Either as a group or as individuals.

But neither are they statistically any more likely to have made a dedicated effort to seeking out reliable or in-depth information on racial politics than most people are. As a group. Individual levels of awareness are largely terra incognita to me. And I frankly pretty much couldn't be less interested in exploring it. Personally, I've been very interested in the subject of racial politics in America for pretty much my entire adult life. During which I didn't fail to notice that it wasn't a very common interest for people not directly affected by it. Very few of whom are racists. They just have other interests. In itself, that doesn't affect my belief that we're equals. I don't fucking care what people's racial politics are, as long as they're not racist.

But guess what? None of that makes me any less familiar with the racist connotations of the phrase "googly-eyed" when it's being used to describe a person of color. Or any less aware of how extreme the racism they connote is to the people who recognize them. Which may I say for the third time, in bold type, is a very large number of people, however few of them regularly post at RI. Therefore, if regular posters at RI wish to avoid leaving people other than themselves with the mistaken impression that they hold extremely racist views, I advise them to make a note of that. It can't hurt. And it might help. Because those connotations were immediately as glaringly obvious to me as they would be to most people whose front-burner political issues included race-relations in America. Which may not be a group that has much representation here. And which definitely is a special-interest group, relative to the general population, in much the same way as the several special-interest groups that are well represented here. Except larger in most cases.

In any event. None of the special interests discussed here are inherently racist. No one's saying otherwise. I'm saying that there's not a lot of natural overlap between racial issues and the issues in which they're specially interested. But I have no fucking idea why I need to say it, since neither is there any natural conflict, at least on a group level. So unless people find all interests other than their own outrageously offensive impositions on their rights and freedoms, I don't actually see how being informed of a fact that's relevant to racial politics in America constitutes such a major fucking threat to them that it merits mounting a counter-offensive campaign to discredit it.

If you do, please explain it to me in plain terms that I can understand. I'd be much indebted to you for it.

but then again I dont troll every thread looking for the slightest little fucking thing to take issue with so I can jump somebody's ass and make them look like a racist

Holy fucking fuck. Neither do I. If you're suggesting that I do, post the fucking evidence. To the best of my memory, I've only ever been a primary participant in two (2) threads that amounted to or involved a major debate over racial politics, prior to the one that got locked before it otherwise would have been amiably settled by myself and 82_28, as it turns out. Links (COMING ON EDIT) and here.

If I'm forgetting others, I wouldn't be surprised. So if you remember them, please link.

Also please fucking quote an instance of my trollery on them, and explain what precisely the fuck made it trolling.

Thanks.

while making myself look enlightened and beyond reproach.

If you're referring to me, I don't aim to do that. I'm as fucked up and reproachable as anyone, and I don't pretend otherwise. But even if I did aim to do that, it would kind of go without saying that I missed the target as often as I hit it.

Also, if you're referring to me, please make a case for the contention that I do it as a matter of routine, characteristically, with greater frequency than any other poster arguing his or her case.

And if you're not referring to me, please say so explicitly. Because as it stands, you're implying that I try to make myself look enlightened and beyond reproach as, like, a power play or something. Which would be pretty fucking ugly behavior, if it were true.

Googly eyed indeed.

As the poster himself said on page one of this thread, your reading of his comment was more perceptive and more accurate than mine. I haven't disputed his explanation for it once. On the same page, I conceded of my own accord that I was very fucking wrong not to have specified that I didn't think he intended to post a comment with racist connotations, very fucking sorry that I hadn't, and asked if I could eat shit for making a mistake he ended up paying for. I haven't repeated that mistake since then, but I don't mind eating shit again for making it the first time. It was a bad, bad mistake. Owing to which, I do wonder what reason you had to announce what your reading of the comment was. After all, it can't have been to shed new light on its meaning, as explained by its author four pages ago. And the only other explanation I can think of isn't applicable here.

Given that you don't go around trying to make yourself look more enlightened and irreproachable than other posters, I mean.

I guess your point must have gone over my head. Would you mind letting me know what I missed?
compared2what?

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion