How Bad Is Global Warming?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: How Bad Is Global Warming?

Postby Burnt Hill » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:02 am

Worldwide phenomena in the sense that the phrase Global Climate Change implies.
The sea level in Chesapeake Bay is not fully representative of the local climate, no less the global climate.
Regardless of the fisherman's perspective.

Sounder says -
The technocratic strain of thinking in society, with google being an exemplar in this regard, supports the 'chemical solution' with pharmaceuticals, GMO's, mandatory vaccines, and the war that is required to enforce these 'values' on recalcitrant players, and that is in my opinion more problematic to ecosystem integrity than is climate change.

:Sure, what difference will it make for a brain damaged society..
But it is not an either this or that situation, we get to suffer both enviromentally and mentally, yay!
Burnt Hill

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Sounder » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:19 am

Thank-you for your civil tone Burnt Hill.

Sounder says -
The technocratic strain of thinking in society, with google being an exemplar in this regard, supports the 'chemical solution' with pharmaceuticals, GMO's, mandatory vaccines, and the war that is required to enforce these 'values' on recalcitrant players, and that is in my opinion more problematic to ecosystem integrity than is climate change.

Burnt Hill wrote....
But it is not an either this or that situation, we get to suffer both enviromentally and mentally, yay!

Perhaps my point is too obtuse for some here to get, it is this; Climate Change, sure, but not at the levels that alarmists claim, because people exaggerate. It's a common fault. On the other hand, the sponsors of this alarmism also sponsor GMO's, indiscriminate production and use of pharmaceuticals, vaccines and war to enforce this 'value set', so it is not unreasonable to assert that the motives of our chemical cure technocratic masters may be less than pure.

People cannot call themselves environmentalists if in fact they support the killing of microbes that are the base of our life support.

We call this genocide success.

All form, no substance makes Johnny a dull boy.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Nature Based Solutions

Postby Burnt Hill » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:08 pm

Cities and towns near the Chesapeake Bay are facing a major threat from sea level rise. The good news is that nature-based solutions can help us adapt to recurrent flooding. In fact, coastal Virginia has seen the highest rate of relative sea level rise on the whole Atlantic coast, more than 14 inches since 1930.

http://www.cbf.org/issues/climate-change/sea-level-rise.html

Sea Level Rise
Finding Nature-Based Solutions to Sea Level Rise

Cities and towns near the Chesapeake Bay are facing a major threat from sea level rise. The good news is that nature-based solutions can help us adapt to recurrent flooding. In fact, coastal Virginia has seen the highest rate of relative sea level rise on the whole Atlantic coast, more than 14 inches since 1930. The Hampton Roads region is particularly at risk because, in addition to rising seas, the land is also sinking. In coastal Virginia recurrent floods already inundate city streets and homes, while frequent storms batter infrastructure.

The good news is that there are ways to adapt to recurrent flooding, as well as address rising waters, using nature-based solutions. Learn about successful Virginia projects that use these practices.

Large scale shoreline protection techniques like living shorelines, living breakwaters, and oyster reefs, all stabilize the waterfront against the force of waves and storms.

Smaller scale techniques, like rain gardens, tree boxes, vegetated swales, permeable pavers, rain barrels, and downspout disconnections, hold and filter rainwater into the ground rather than letting it wash off hard streets and buildings and into creeks and rivers. This relieves pressure on overwhelmed city systems that struggle to address this regular deluge of polluted runoff.

Natural Approaches Improve Water Quality
These approaches based on natural systems have so many benefits. In addition helping us adapt to sea level rise, many of these techniques also lead to cleaner water in rivers, creeks, and the Chesapeake Bay.

Living shorelines and living breakwaters reduce the impact of storm waves and provide critical habitat, in turn creating homes for wildlife and improving fisheries. Small scale infiltration projects absorb flood waters, remove water pollution, and increase the ability to hold polluted runoff from rainfall. Ultimately, these projects also create beautiful green spaces for people to enjoy, making communities more livable and economically attractive.

CBF Highlights Opportunities for Nature-Based Solutions
CBF is highlighting natural solutions for adapting to sea level rise in Virginia that can both protect cities and suburbs and improve local water quality. Under a grant from the Blue Moon Fund, CBF Sea Level Rise Fellow Thomas Quattlebaum is working with officials and local governments in Hampton Roads on cost-efficient ways to address rising waters. "For example, if you're tearing up a city road to update infrastructure, there may be an opportunity to incorporate nature-based infiltration options like rain gardens that can help with our current flooding problems as well as better prepare us for impending sea-level rise threats and improve water quality for now and well into the future," according to Thomas.

CBF is studying and promoting proven nature-based techniques that will help communities prepare for the challenges ahead.

Find out more below or on our interactive map.
Burnt Hill

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:43 pm

What made the crabber's claim so outrageously false is that he was wrong, dead wrong. As BH has just related, there has been more than a one-foot rise in the sea level of the Chesapeake Bay, six inches from subsidence and six due to the rising ocean level. (I believe it's 14 cm, BH.) In fact, the rise of the Chesapeake is unique and has risen more than any other along the East coast.

In part, the subsidence is due to how the Bay was formed, by a meteorite's impact crater.

https://chesapeake.usgs.gov/sciencesummary-sealevelrise.html

http://www.nwf.org/Wildlife/Threats-to-Wildlife/Global-Warming/Effects-on-Wildlife-and-Habitat/Estuaries-and-Coastal-Wetlands/Chesapeake-Bay.aspx

https://phys.org/news/2014-04-chesapeake-bay-impact-crater-sea.html

http://www.chesapeakequarterly.net/sealevel/index.php

Responding to your other commentary on vaccines, gmo, etc., would be off-topic in this thread.
Iamwhomiam

Postby DrEvil » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Sounder » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:19 am wrote:Thank-you for your civil tone Burnt Hill.

Sounder says -

Burnt Hill wrote....

Perhaps my point is too obtuse for some here to get, it is this; Climate Change, sure, but not at the levels that alarmists claim, because people exaggerate. It's a common fault. On the other hand, the sponsors of this alarmism also sponsor GMO's, indiscriminate production and use of pharmaceuticals, vaccines and war to enforce this 'value set', so it is not unreasonable to assert that the motives of our chemical cure technocratic masters may be less than pure.

People cannot call themselves environmentalists if in fact they support the killing of microbes that are the base of our life support.

We call this genocide success.

The genocide is being perpetrated by people peddling denialist hogwash like the NN thing you posted. Can you spell ocean acidification? Droughts, mass migrations and ocean die-offs are going to kill way more people than your precious chemicals. Btw: It's possible to care about both things at the same time.

One of the reasons it's so damn hard to get anything done on climate change is all the fucking idiots buying into this simple-minded conceit that they are behind it for some vague nefarious purpose.

Then fucking add some substance to your idiotic ramblings.

For anyone wondering: The reason I'm so harsh on Sounder and other deniers (yes Sounder, you are a denier when you peddle straight up disinfo) is that the evidence for global warming/climate change is so overwhelming by now that anyone who doesn't get it just don't want to for whatever reason. Using arguments and logic on them is pointless (it usually leads to them getting even more set in their ways. See: Trump supporters), but I refuse to let their bullshit stand unopposed, so ridicule and abuse are the options left, because that's what they fucking deserve.

If I can't change their mind then maybe I can help make their position so toxic that they will keep their stupid mouths shut and let the rest of us get on with it. I fully support no-platforming for denialists.

And Sounder, even if the dangers of climate change is being exaggerated (which I don't think, more the opposite. Take the IPCC report for instance. It's the most conservative possible estimate, just to get everyone to sign off on it) why the hell would you want to even take that chance? There is no plan(et) B. If we end up fucked we end up fucked for good.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Funny how a 10" rainfall in New Orleans last week and another 10" are expected to fall in the Tulsa OK area this weekend gets little more thsn coverage. Becoming too common for comment?
Iamwhomiam

Postby Blue » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:27 am

Tagus river at risk of drying up completely

Climate change, dams and diversion bring Iberian peninsula’s longest river, on which millions depend, to brink of collapse

The Tagus river, the longest in the Iberian peninsula, is in danger of drying up completely as Spain once again finds itself in the grip of drought.

Miguel Ángel Sánchez, spokesman of the Platform in Defence of the Tagus, says “the river has collapsed through a combination of climate change, water transfer and the waste Madrid produces.”

The Tagus, known in Spanish as the Tajo and Portuguese as the Tejo, rises in Aragón in northern Spain, passes close to Madrid and forms part of the border with Portugal before flowing into the sea at Lisbon. En route, it is dammed no fewer than 51 times in Spain alone.

But its troubles begin at the headwaters in Aragón. In 1902 a plan was conceived to siphon off water from here and divert it to the Segura river to irrigate farms in the arid southeast in what is known as the Tajo-Segura transfer. Construction began in 1966 and water started flowing out of the dammed Tagus headwaters to the Segura in 1979.

However, the amount of available water was miscalculated and Spain’s cyclical droughts were not factored in. Today only 47% of the predicted water resources exist and levels in the two headwater dams are down to 11% capacity, too low to allow any transfers.

“All of these problems derive from designing a water transfer from the headwaters of a river, overestimating the available resources and joining two areas with similar climate cycles,” says Nuria Hernández-Mora, a founding member of the Foundation for a New Water Culture. “The transfer has served to create social and political conflict and turn the Tagus into one of the rivers in the worst ecological state in the peninsula.”

Siphoning off the headwaters is only permitted when the dams have sufficient water – previously this was just an option, not a guarantee of supply. However, the government recently passed a law that says that as soon as there is a surplus there is an obligation to transfer it, making it impossible to store water to cope with droughts.

The law flies in the face of the European water directive and when an EU delegation visited the Tagus and Ebro rivers last year it issued a highly critical report of Spain’s failure to conform with the directive.

The Tagus’s troubles don’t end with the transfer. Even after about 65% is siphoned to the Segura, it still has to supply Madrid’s 6 million inhabitants, whose inadequately treated waste water is dumped back into the river further downstream. The water from the Tagus is also used to cool nuclear reactors.

The Portuguese complain that Spain is siphoning off water and polluting the river, arguments Spain rejects. In January Lisbon filed a formal complaint with Brussels over Spain’s plans to build a nuclear waste treatment plant close to the river and the Portuguese border.

https://weather.com/news/news/spain-tag ... ng-up-risk

Blue

Postby SonicG » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:35 am

God's wrath upon the worshipers of the false god Mammon is swift and just...

We now have 3 named storms in the Atlantic. Hurricane Irma, Tropical Storms Jose and Tropical Storm Katia.

https://twitter.com/LeoHirsbrunner/stat ... 7174556674

Why does they make them look like fireballs, daddy? :sun:
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby Blue » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:02 am

More like a buzz saw coming towards me.

Irma sets a record as strongest hurricane in open Atlantic in two ways

As noted above, Irma’s peak sustained surface winds of 185 mph are the highest observed in any hurricane north of the Caribbean and east of Florida, topped only by Allen (1980) in the Caribbean (190 mph). Two hurricanes have notched 185-mph winds in the Caribbean: Gilbert (1988) and Wilma (2005). The Labor Day hurricane of 1935 hit the same peak winds in the Florida Straits.

Irma set another record late Wednesday afternoon: its central surface pressure dropped to 916 mb, as extrapolated from dropsonde data collected by Hurricane Hunters. This beats the previous Atlantic record outside of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, a 919 mb reading from a dropsonde with Hurricane Gloria (1985).

Irma's central pressure at 2 pm EDT Tuesday, when the hurricane's top winds first hit 185 mph, was 926 mb. Interestingly, the other four Atlantic hurricanes with winds at least that strong had significantly lower central pressures:

Wilma: 882 mb
Gilbert: 888 mb
Labor Day 1935: 892 mb
Allen: 899 mb

Why the difference? Wind speeds are driven by the contrast between the central pressure of a hurricane and its surrounding environment. As a rule, the sharper the contrast, and the smaller the distance over which it occurs, the stronger the peak winds. Normally, one would expect a medium-sized hurricane like Irma with a central pressure of 926 mb to have slightly weaker winds. However, surface pressures around Irma are considerably higher than usual, which appears to have boosted the pressure gradient, according to Philippe Papin (University at Albany, SUNY).

As a hurricane matures, its wind field often spreads out while the peak winds slowly decrease. The hurricane’s storm surge potential does not necessarily drop, though, because the broadened wind field can be pushing just as much water as before. Hurricanes such as Ike (2008) and Sandy (2012), whose winds weakened before landfall, produced much more surge than one might have expected from their Saffir-Simpson rating, which depends only on maximum wind speed. A storm as powerful as Irma will have the potential to create devastating storm surge even if its wind field eventually expands and its top winds weaken.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/extremely-dangerous-cat-5-irma-storms-leeward-islands
Blue

Postby DrEvil » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:26 pm

So basically Irma is a tornado the size of Ohio. Yikes.

At least there's a chance that Mar-a-Lago gets it. :evilgrin
DrEvil

Postby Cordelia » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Hurricane Irma just slammed into Trump’s Caribbean estate — and is headed toward his Florida properties

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... age%2Fstor

Le Chateau des Palmiers, which President Trump purchased in 2013, is on the market for $16.9 million. (Meddy GS/Courtesy of Island Real Estate Team)

Price reduction upcoming.

Blue » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:02 am wrote:More like a buzz saw coming towards me.

Hope not--stay safe Blue & anyone in 'Irma's path'!
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby 8bitagent » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:18 am

I'd say, yeah, global warming is pretty fucking defcon 4 bad. Rush Limbaughs bizarre "Irma is a media hoax", Trumps obliteration of Paris accord and Alex jones endless "climate change is a globalist hoax" that match up with
big donor oil Republican talking points is on par with holocaust denial and flat earthers at this point.

I cant remember the last time North America had both the most insane flooding as well as the most destructive hurricane barrelling down in recorded human history, on top of all sorts of other crazy weather phenomena in the Atlantic forming
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby 8bitagent » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:20 am

Iamwhomiam » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:25 pm wrote:Funny how a 10" rainfall in New Orleans last week and another 10" are expected to fall in the Tulsa OK area this weekend gets little more thsn coverage. Becoming too common for comment?

Exactly. 1300 die in Mumbai the same time as Harvey from massive flooding, nary a mention. Now Harvey as horrific as its been in Texas and Louisiana, still didnt get near the coverage of the Katrina clusterfuck.
It seems there will be just too many of these coming happening to keep track. They may need to create a Cat-6 to describe what this Irma thing is
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby DrEvil » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Category 5 is "complete destruction", so Cat 6 would be pointless (unless hurricanes start scouring things down to the bedrock, at which point the category would be the least of our worries).
DrEvil

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion