How Bad Is Global Warming?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

How Bad Is Global Warming?

Postby DeltaDawn » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Msn News had headlines that read "U.K. Hit by Worst Cold in Decades". Southern USA has had below freezing temperatures the whole month of December and weather forecasters are saying it's the coldest December in decades. The Rockies were surprised with such an early blizzard this year and the list goes on.

Living in an area that harbours the ringleaders of the importance in eradicating global warming gives me confidence to repeat what I've said all along. It's another way of controlling people's affairs and supporting the agencies that do just this. We now pay emission control checks that cost on top of registration, our farmers are under stricter regulations, thus open to inspections at all times...and again, the list goes on.

Then we have the fact, since it's global, there are reasons for all countries to divulge certain amounts of information they might not otherwise do. The entire thing to me stinks of bringing us one step closer to NWO and many steps made for the reputations of those taking us there.

Only my opinion and you know everyone has one :)
For we have not been given the spirit of fear; but of love, peace and a sound mind
DeltaDawn

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How Bad Is Global Warming?

Postby operator kos » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:39 pm

You should base your opinions of scientific issues on scientific reports, not political rhetoric. The overwhelming scientific consensus is that climate change is happening and mankind is contributing. So tired of having to repeat that on this board.

IMO, though, climate change is less of an immediate threat to us than peak oil. If, however, peak oil leads us to start burning huge amounts of coal to make up for the energy shortfall, climate change could become a bigger problem even more quickly.

Given that I work for an environmental NGO, I can say with some authority that we're basically fucked at this point anyways. Get ready for your soylent green.
operator kos

Postby NeonLX » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:49 pm

I was recently shoveling out from a 17 inch snowstorm and it was about 0F outside. My redneck* neighbor (also shoveling) yelled at me, "So much for global warming!"

I came back with, "Well, the problem is, it's warming in all the wrong places".

----------------
*Don't want anyone to get the impression that I ain't a redneck--I most certainly am.
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Cosmic Cowbell » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:05 pm

It's sometimes hard for most people to differentiate "Weather" (something you feel changing) from "Climate" (something you'll never feel changing)...

I agree with O-Kos (and Hansen) that Coal is, pardon the pun, the burning issue of our future....
"There are no whole truths: all truths are half-truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that plays the devil." ~ A.N. Whitehead
Cosmic Cowbell

Postby DeltaDawn » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:29 pm

Agreed, yes climate is changing...Do we as a mankind honestly believe we can affect this? O.K....so let's assume global warming and weather/climate have NOthing to do with one another....Still, what exactly kind of reaction will all this cold/record breaking 'weather' have, None???

Andddd....my point might be made already??
For we have not been given the spirit of fear; but of love, peace and a sound mind
DeltaDawn

Postby Occult Means Hidden » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:28 am

Delta,

You know, all those cool animations that simulate the effects of global warming? Perhaps you've seen some. One of those animations has a projection on what rising temperatures would do to the gulf stream in the Atlantic. If you are familiar about the gulf stream, it is what carries warm water and air to western Europe via warmer waters. The global warming projection shows the immediate effect to be extreme frigid cooling in Europe due to the breakdown of the gulf stream. It's not just western Europe, mind you.

So to sum up, one of the core tennants of global warming is... more extreme weather/climate in more select areas. Surely you are aware of this?

Look at this link. It has lots of info: http://www.gulfstreamshutdown.com/

How Global Warming May Cause the Next Ice Age
http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0130-11.htm

The best planetary-scale conductor of heat, water/world's oceans, show a steady rise in average sea temperature.

So global warming is a net cumulative discriptor. Should perhaps more clearly be called "greenhouse increase".

Sure, the "NWO" is taking away liberties by using global warming as pretext. Agreed. Just not by lying about climate change.
Rage against the ever vicious downward spiral.
Time to get back to basics. [url=http://zmag.org/zmi/readlabor.htm]Worker Control of Industry![/url]
Occult Means Hidden

Postby tazmic » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:33 am

kos wrote:You should base your opinions of scientific issues on scientific reports, not political rhetoric.

Okay...

kos wrote:The overwhelming scientific consensus is that climate change is happening and mankind is contributing.

So there are scientific reports that say the climate changes and mankind doesn't live in a vacuum. Thanks for letting me know.

kos wrote:So tired of having to repeat that on this board.

What's tiresome is having to hear this emotional rhetoric over and over again. If you want to say something scientifically significant then be my guest. But your statement barely rises above the level of tautology and has nothing to say about your CACC theories.

kos wrote:I work for an environmental NGO, I can say with some authority that we're basically fucked at this point anyways.

If we are 'basically fucked' at this point, what do you think the PTB should be doing, given that they can't unfuck* us, and presumably wouldn't want to let us know that?

* If they could unfuck us I don't think our situation could be classified as fucked. There is no unfucking a properly fucked situation, obviously, which must be why the word isn't in the dictionary...
"It ever was, and is, and shall be, ever-living fire, in measures being kindled and in measures going out." - Heraclitus

"There aren't enough small numbers to meet the many demands made of them." - Strong Law of Small Numbers
tazmic

Postby Mx32 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:24 am

I am pretty cold in England right now but, hey! it is January and my family has survived the past 9 or so winters without feeling particularly cold. Mild. Or - still wearing t-shirts around the house on sunny January days and wondering "What happened to those freezing winters we used to have?"

But it's GLOBAL warming, climate change.

record breaking heat. Record breaking cold.

The US/UK ain't the centre of the universe - but parts ofboth places saw record breaking weather events in November/December alone.

Meanwhile:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-0 ... rease.html
Mx32

Postby DeltaDawn » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:04 pm

As I had hoped, some very interesting links were posted. Unfortunately, or not, my skeptic mind still at the end of reading said, yeah, yeah, yeah and how EXactly was this figured out and EXactly who paid you to find this out. I still believe that is a hidden agenda and we are basically at this point in history, being treated like mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed manure.
DeltaDawn

Postby Cosmic Cowbell » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:33 pm

Occult Means Hidden wrote:You know, all those cool animations that simulate the effects of global warming? Perhaps you've seen some. One of those animations has a projection on what rising temperatures would do to the gulf stream in the Atlantic. If you are familiar about the gulf stream, it is what carries warm water and air to western Europe via warmer waters. The global warming projection shows the immediate effect to be extreme frigid cooling in Europe due to the breakdown of the gulf stream. It's not just western Europe, mind you.

Britain Without the Gulfstream...

"There are no whole truths: all truths are half-truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that plays the devil." ~ A.N. Whitehead
Cosmic Cowbell

Postby Sounder » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:49 pm

This cold snap has nothing to do with any ‘conveyer belt’ collapse, and to suggest that is a bunch of hooey.

http://assassinationscience.com/climategate/

Climategate has shattered that myth. It gives us a peephole into the work of the scientists investigating possibly the most important issue ever to face mankind. Instead of seeing large collaborations of meticulous, careful, critical scientists, we instead see a small team of incompetent cowboys, abusing almost every aspect of the framework of science to build a fortress around their “old boys’ club”, to prevent real scientists from seeing the shambles of their “research”. Most people are aghast that this could have happened; and it is only because “climate science” exploded from a relatively tiny corner of academia into a hugely funded industry in a matter of mere years that the perpetrators were able to get away with it for so long.

But as wisely noted by P. T. Barnum, and quoted by Abraham Lincoln,

You may fool all the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time.

As an increasing number of highly qualified scientists slowly began to realize that the “climate science” community was a facade—and that their vitriolic rebuffs of sensible arguments of mathematics, statistics, and indeed scientific common sense were not the product of scientific rigor at all, but merely self-protection at any cost—the veil began to drop on what has already become clear as the greatest scientific fraud in this history of mankind.
Sounder

Postby smiths » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:56 pm

its outrageous that a couple of important scientists fiddled with graphs and discredited the tens of thousands of honest scientists whose work all points overwhelmingly towards the same conclusion

the main architects of the 'global warming skepticism' being PR firms, oil companies and totally corrupt scientists who are paid and write what they are told to right must feel completely vindicated

anyone who cant work out whats going on here should fuck off and do some real reading on this subject

Australia suffers hottest decade as globe warms

Australia has sweltered through its hottest decade on record, officials said Tuesday, linking a rise in heatwaves, drought, dust storms and extreme wildfires with global warming.

The Bureau of Meteorology also said 2009 was the second warmest year since detailed records began in 1910, with an annual mean temperature almost one degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit) above average.

Senior climatologist Dean Collins said the average for the decade -- about 22.3 degrees Celsius (72.1 Fahrenheit) -- was 0.48 degrees Celsius (0.89 F) above Australia's 1961-1990 benchmark average and an indication of man-made global warming.

"For the past six decades, each decade has been warmer than the preceding one," Collins told AFP.

"To get six, seven decades in a row that are warmer than the previous one -- it doesn't happen by chance. It's reflecting what's happening at the global level."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100105/wl ... 0105072546

so lets make a big deal about one cold winter, as compared to six decades each warmer than the next
the question is why, who, why, what, why, when, why and why again?
smiths

Postby Sounder » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:32 pm

vitriolic rebuffs.......

anyone who cant work out whats going on here should fuck off and do some real reading on this subject

Real convincing smiths

But of course at least you see the absurdity of connecting the the current cold snap with 'conveyer belt' collapse, right? Still, whatever it takes to push the propaganda is I guess a good thing. So fuck the science anyway.
Sounder

Postby smiths » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:16 pm

which propaganda? do you mean the science

who's fucking the science? the IPCC, or Burston-Marsteller
the question is why, who, why, what, why, when, why and why again?
smiths

Postby Cosmic Cowbell » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:19 pm

Negative phase of the Arctic Oscillation

These regional contrasts in temperature anomalies resulted from a strongly negative phase of the Arctic Oscillation (AO). The AO is a natural pattern of climate variability. It consists of opposing patterns of atmospheric pressure between the polar regions and middle latitudes. The positive phase of the AO exists when pressures are lower than normal over the Arctic, and higher than normal in middle latitude. In the negative phase, the opposite is true; pressures are higher than normal over the Arctic and lower than normal in middle latitudes. The negative and positive phases of the AO set up opposing temperature patterns. With the AO in its negative phase this season, the Arctic is warmer than average, while parts of the middle latitudes are colder than normal. The phase of the AO also affects patterns of precipitation, especially over Europe.

The phase of the AO is described in terms of an index value. In December 2009 the AO index value was -3.41, the most negative value since at least 1950, according to data from the NOAA Climate Prediction Center.

While a negative AO leads to warmer temperatures over the Arctic, it also tends to reduce the flow of sea ice out of the Arctic by affecting the winds that can export the ice to warmer waters, where it melts. In this way, a negative AO could help retain some the second- and third-year ice through the winter, and potentially rebuild some of the older, multiyear ice that has been lost over the past few years. However, we do not yet know if the strongly negative AO will persist through the winter, or what its net effect will be.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

It appears the Gulf Stream is hanging a bit of hard left these days...

While there is no "proof" that this extreme occurrence is related to AGW specifically, it is very reminiscent of W.Striebers film "The Day After Tomorrow" which did blame the alteration of the stream on the vast amounts of fresh water melt from Greenland (which used to be Green apparently and may well be again if this keeps up) affecting salinity and thermohaline circulation. It will be interesting to see how exactly this shakes out.

Feedback loops and such.

The blue dot in the LR corner is where we are....brrrrrrrrrrr

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/ ... off-chart/
Last edited by Cosmic Cowbell on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmic Cowbell

Next

Return to General Discussion