How Bad Is Global Warming?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: How Bad Is Global Warming?

Postby MacCruiskeen » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:17 pm

Good luck to you, PufPuf. Here's to your full recovery.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:17 pm

PufPuf93 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:53 am wrote:
Perhaps speak of context rather than content?

I have been hiding out in the mountains of my birth for the past 15 plus years deliberately being a dropout in a beautiful landscape of National Forest, few people but Native Americans are the dominant percentage of extremely sparse population plus back to the landers (many pot growers as this is Humboldt), a few European gold mining family "pioneer" remnants (me), some remnant logging industry left behinds, and some retirees.

Once I had the intellect and drive to be effectively narcistic and was, needed the boost to do my jobs. My brain comes and goes now, severe at times; forget about drive and endurance.

I am looking at the acceptance of global anthropomorphic climate change as a Pascal's wager; the thought that one should accept Christ because there is nothing to lose and eternal life in heaven to accept. So maybe it boils down to one should accept anthropomorphic climate change as one accepts Jesus. But personally it is not in me to accept Jesus so maybe I should not be so judgmental on those that aren't inclined to accept anthropomorphic climate change.

I'll apologize for the insult but not the thought, perhaps again having it both ways.

What is on my mind most today and recent days is that I have been dealing with a serious cancer for last two plus years. In about an hour I am driving 5 hours to a friends and we will drive two more hours to Sacramento where I will enter surgery tomorrow AM at 9 AM, the surgery will be 4 to 8 hours and I will go back to my friends home for some recuperation before heading home. There can be a very good outcome for my circumstance or maybe not. The illness has forced me out of mountain fortress of mostly solitude. I once flew 40,000 miles per year for work as a management consultant. This will be my longest trip from home since 2003. Looks like I will spend part of today driving in fresh snow. Great. I am fond of just about all the folks at RI and the one's that bother me is over style rather than content.

Wow PufPuf, I hope it went well as it can, stay strong!
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:16 am

All the best PufPuf
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:19 am

I've been fighting these fires that have recently grabbed your attention since August. Not every day but often enough. I've made the odd post during that time.

Every now and then I come to this thread for a few laughs.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby RocketMan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:40 am

Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:19 pm wrote:I've been fighting these fires that have recently grabbed your attention since August. Not every day but often enough. I've made the odd post during that time.

I wish you much strength and hope you stay safe! :lovehearts: :lovehearts: The only way I can describe my feelings regarding the events in your country is UTTER COSMIC EXISTENTIAL HORROR.

I guess laughs are good, even if they are of the somewhat bitter sort...
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:36 am

https://www.kpax.com/news/local-news/fl ... 2020-signs

GLACIER NATIONAL PARK — Glacier National Park is removing signs that state all glaciers will be melted by 2020.

Glacier National Park spokeswoman Gina Kurzmen explained that since the early 2000s scientists have reflected and analyzed data stating glaciers would recede by 2020.

She told MTN News that the latest research shows shrinking, but in ways much more complex than what was predicted. Because of this, the park must update all signs around the park stating all glaciers will be melted by 2020.

The sign at St. Mary’s Visitor Center was removed in May of 2019 and other signs will be removed around the park as budgets permit.

Kurzmen says Glacier National Park will work with the US Geological Survey to monitor the glaciers and update the remainder of the signs as necessary.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby PufPuf93 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:38 am

Thank you RI. :lovehearts:

Was in a hurry to get back home and did last evening.

Kept up with RI on a tablet but didn't post as have a bad relationship with the tablet (and smart phone too).

The procedure was the removal of melanoma from my scalp. There was a brown-purple thing about the size of a quarter that looked like Wisconsin and several freckles that also were melanoma. These were removed and biopsied and I was sent south for further work. What they did was dig deeper in the biopsy and excise the surrounding tissue and send to the lab (this takes several hours) and repeat until no more melanoma is found. If extensive, one needs to under go plastic surgery reconstruction.

Turned out as best as possible. No melanoma left after first cutting so will have divot in head but no plastic surgery required. Be forewarned as a pig skin lattice is placed in the wound to promote healing, the wound will take 3-4 months to heal, so now I am officially pig headed

The cancer is a non-Hodgkin lymphoma and under went chemo in 2018. So still have port in chest and regular oncologist appointments. Had a skin condition where spots had occurred and started expanding and spreading Fall 2019. The oncologist sent me immediately to a dermatologist who discovered and biopsied the melanoma, diagnosed the scaly spots as psoriasis, and began treatment of the psoriasis.

So all is good. :coolshades
PufPuf93

Postby PufPuf93 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:38 pm

Elvis » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:22 pm wrote:Best wishes, PufPuf!

I would point out that there's a helluva a lot more observable, verifiable evidence for anthropogenic global warming than for Jesus. I've looked for evidence of Jesus, and between the two phenomena, if I had to say one was a hoax, I'd say Jesus.

:shrug:

We are in 100% agreement and what I typed is somewhat facetious.

Pascal's wager is an argument of Christian apologetics, that one has everything to gain and nothing to lose by accepting Jesus.

Accepting ACC / AGW as real as a matter of faith by those that doubt (many who live life with a conservative Christian or other religion perspective), in many way mirrors Pascal's wager. :angelwings:
PufPuf93

Postby PufPuf93 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:47 pm

Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:19 am wrote:I've been fighting these fires that have recently grabbed your attention since August. Not every day but often enough. I've made the odd post during that time.

The Australian fires could not get more extensive except by their own growth until stopped by lack of fuel or the rain season.

I posted here some statistics about the fires in California relative to California as a whole and the 15 million and growing acres now in Australia. The worse fire year ever recorded in California was 2018 and your fires are 10X larger. The 2019 California fires, a greater than average year but dwarfed by 2018, your current fires are more than 50X as extensive.

Persevere friend. Be safe.
PufPuf93

Postby DrEvil » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:16 pm

PufPuf93 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:38 pm wrote:
Elvis » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:22 pm wrote:Best wishes, PufPuf!

I would point out that there's a helluva a lot more observable, verifiable evidence for anthropogenic global warming than for Jesus. I've looked for evidence of Jesus, and between the two phenomena, if I had to say one was a hoax, I'd say Jesus.

:shrug:

We are in 100% agreement and what I typed is somewhat facetious.

Pascal's wager is an argument of Christian apologetics, that one has everything to gain and nothing to lose by accepting Jesus.

Accepting ACC / AGW as real as a matter of faith by those that doubt (many who live life with a conservative Christian or other religion perspective), in many way mirrors Pascal's wager. :angelwings:

Pascal's wager also conveniently leaves out the question "how do you know you picked the right religion?"
There's something like 4300 religions in the world, so odds are pretty good you're going to end up with the wrong one.

Anyway, good to see you back and doing well, pig-headedness notwithstanding. :yay
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby DrEvil » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:20 pm

Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:19 pm wrote:I've been fighting these fires that have recently grabbed your attention since August. Not every day but often enough. I've made the odd post during that time.

Is this you bay any chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wpV3lHK90o

:)
DrEvil

Postby chump » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:05 pm

Glad to hear your looking good!

Don’t let those doctors scare you to death!

Don’t you dare do as I did with the spots on my face; shaving ‘em off as I’m shaving my beard, tugging at ‘em and scraping ‘em off with my fingernails, or sometimes like recently, slicing it off with an exacto-knife - sterilized in the hot blue flame with my handy Bic lighter…bleeds a bit, but not too bad, then dabbing the spot with a (clean) piece of toilet paper, spreading on some Neosporin, and one or two Band-Aids until it stopped bleeding… on my face. I’ll spare you the picture.

Anyway, Australia again… reminding me of America... California…

https://youtu.be/rmHLVd4k0EY

[…]

The most important thing to understand about this situation that we are facing here is that this has been done deliberately…

Cotton Farming??

——————

https://youtu.be/1hhzrormtP4
?
chump

Postby DrEvil » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:29 pm

^^The first two videos are from genuine morons, prattling on about chemtrails with sparkler dust, rats on "the SpaceX" and how Fridays For Future is a secret substitution code for 666. Where do you find these lunatics?

That last one from Vice should more correctly be called "Intentional Geoengineering May Be the Answer to Climate Change", as we're already unintentionally geoengineering the fuck out of the planet.

Edit: also, please, please tell me you're joking about the self-surgery! If not, and you're worried about it, go see a doctor!
DrEvil

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:59 am

Nah. But I lmao when I saw it.

That bloke speaks for a lot of us.

Scotty from Marketing can gagf.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:44 am

There's nothing that unusual about these fires either really.

We're in another severe drought, not unusual for Australia, a land of "droughts and flooding rains" to quote an old poem.

So naturally bad fires will happen if they get going.

They get going on days of "severe to catastrophic" fire danger. A fire might be burning quietly then on of these days happens and things go ballistic.

We used to have a couple of those days a year. Well less than we do now anyway. Usually at the hot end of summer.

These days there are more of them, they start earlier in the year, go later into the Autumn and Winter and tend to be more extreme more frequently.

We all knew this was coming. At one point it was "one year in the next 10 or 20" (10 years ago we said that.). Then it was "this year and soon" - 8 or 9 months ago when we realised no rain was coming in 2019.

You only need to ramp stuff up a little to have years like this. We'll have more in the next few decades, and more frequently too.
Joe Hillshoist

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion