A thought on domestication

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: A thought on domestication

Postby 82_28 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:49 pm

I shot clay pigeons once with a .22. Other than that I have been handed a gun a couple times and I handed it right back.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby PufPuf93 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:03 pm

82_28 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:49 pm wrote:I shot clay pigeons once with a .22. Other than that I have been handed a gun a couple times and I handed it right back.

Guns and the similar have to do with humans domestication (think policing or warring) of each other by force or threat.

In most situations presence of a firearm makes people less rather than more safe.

Many people make guns out to be what they are not or should not be.

I don't like to around guns or those active in gun fetish (meaning there are individuals I am generally OK with that I do not care to be around when guns are topic or present).

Did you actually shoot a thrown clay pigeon with a .22?
PufPuf93

Postby 82_28 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:11 pm

Oh hell no, I didn't hit a one. I was like 10 years old hanging out with a bunch of Mormon dads and their kids (we were neighbors). My final shot they asked me if I wanted to shoot the .12 and I said sure. Knocked me on my ass. All Super Soakers from there on.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:49 am

.22 skeet shot, no? Crimped end, no slug, just tiny birdshot.

In boy scouts I shot clay pigeons with such shot.
Iamwhomiam

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:41 pm

PufPuf93 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:15 pm wrote:
NeonLX » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:59 am wrote:I used to own guns, including a .357 magnum "Trooper Special" handgun. That thing packed a real wallop. I shot several tree stumps and the occasional road sign with it, but never anything living. I got rid of my rag-tag collection back in the early 1980s, when my parents were forced to sell the farm.

I am vehemently anti-war. I also detest violence. If I were to ever forced to shoot in self-defense, I'd aim for a limb, or low in the abdomen. I really don't want to kill.

I am also vehemently antiwar and hate violence. I live in age and in my youth in a rural area where guns are normal and considered necessary by many. I have worked or recreated frequently in back county where many others think a gun is necessary for protection but they are not really. In Alaska we had to carry pepper spray or firearms as part of a safety plan in a Fed contract, when working in a brown bear area workers had to be accompanied by a dedicated armed "guard" and look out. My crew had my BILs .357 magnum and the 16 gauge but aside from a training day, the firearms never left the floating camp for the woods and they chose to carry pepper spray. "Our" safety plan was, if I was present and the crew threatened by bear, to spray me and run like hell. I can't see myself in a situation where there was me, a gun, and a threat. Maybe if there was an apocalypse and social break down and it was left to me to protect someone I loved.

Firearms are an interesting tool or topic in the strife in intra-human and inter-species process of domestication. Firearms are probably too new to humanity for true coevolution.

Okay, explain that because I don't get it. Why spray you?
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby 82_28 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:05 pm

Iamwhomiam » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:49 am wrote:.22 skeet shot, no? Crimped end, no slug, just tiny birdshot.

I don't know no nuthin' about guns, but yeah it was tiny bird shot. I have played laser tag in the past and also paintball too a few times. Anyway. . .
82_28

Postby PufPuf93 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:35 pm

JackRiddler » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:41 am wrote:
NeonLX » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:59 am wrote:I used to own guns, including a .357 magnum "Trooper Special" handgun. That thing packed a real wallop. I shot several tree stumps and the occasional road sign with it, but never anything living. I got rid of my rag-tag collection back in the early 1980s, when my parents were forced to sell the farm.

I am vehemently anti-war. I also detest violence. If I were to ever forced to shoot in self-defense, I'd aim for a limb, or low in the abdomen. I really don't want to kill.

I am also vehemently antiwar and hate violence. I live in age and in my youth in a rural area where guns are normal and considered necessary by many. I have worked or recreated frequently in back county where many others think a gun is necessary for protection but they are not really. In Alaska we had to carry pepper spray or firearms as part of a safety plan in a Fed contract, when working in a brown bear area workers had to be accompanied by a dedicated armed "guard" and look out. My crew had my BILs .357 magnum and the 16 gauge but aside from a training day, the firearms never left the floating camp for the woods and they chose to carry pepper spray. "Our" safety plan was, if I was present and the crew threatened by bear, to spray me and run like hell. I can't see myself in a situation where there was me, a gun, and a threat. Maybe if there was an apocalypse and social break down and it was left to me to protect someone I loved.

Firearms are an interesting tool or topic in the strife in intra-human and inter-species process of domestication. Firearms are probably too new to humanity for true coevolution.

Okay, explain that because I don't get it. Why spray you?

Bear sacrifice. Crew gets away. I get munched with hot sauce. Token of affection? Maybe one had to be there to see humor?

A step in bear domestication (to be on topic)?
PufPuf93

Postby PufPuf93 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:36 pm

82_28 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:05 am wrote:
Iamwhomiam » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:49 am wrote:.22 skeet shot, no? Crimped end, no slug, just tiny birdshot.

I don't know no nuthin' about guns, but yeah it was tiny bird shot. I have played laser tag in the past and also paintball too a few times. Anyway. . .

awww I was thinking small .22 slugs.
PufPuf93

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:07 pm

That would be sharpshooters only, I imagine, and quite the feat!
Iamwhomiam

Postby JojoCivil » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:47 pm

I was hanging out with a sweet hippy lady, and she abhorred technology, pining for the good past.

I pointed out that our physiology, teeth included, have been coevolving with our technology for millions of years. Our teeth changed through use of fire to cook hard foods down.

While in the "gun culture" there are a plethora of very sad people, guns are just projectile weapons, like a crossbow/ bolt or a bow and arrow. Useful for hunting game, necessary for killing/wounding humans in cases of violent conflict.

If one is hungry or under attack you would swiftly appreciate a good 22lr tool. Or a bow. Being afeared of guns and negatively fetishizing them is almost more sad than the losers with two hundred guns and 100,000 rounds of ammo, because guns are objects and when you want to kill who cares which object it is. If you or yours are being abused by a pencil, knife, blowdart, acid attack, then will you hate all cutlery? I take a deer every year, sometimes two. Family eats good. Deer eat my damn vegetables and flowers... fair trade... 30-06 heck of a weapon... will go right through the armor on a command car...

The elites are domesticated, and cull their human herd with war and starvation. That is something to hate, not a tool.

We domesticated ourselves with stone tools and fire three million years ago. Hate rocks and combustion?

Perhaps what is disliked is not the chunk of metal or the bullet, but the spirit of aggression and selfish and unequal use of violence? As for me, (and you), when they come to put ya down, you will want all the weapons you can bring to bear.

And speaking of bear, a gun is the worst dissuader, either you kill it just for bing proximate, which is lame, or, you hurt it and make it really mad. What works perfect each time is firecrackers. Holy shite, hilarious! They get outta there like a freight train on nitro. Always keep a few handy, and fire, if you can stand it.
JojoCivil

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:05 pm

Responsible gun owners, whether hunters or not, are not the problem we're faced with from having an abundance of firearms available to society today, but the danger to society lies with irresponsible gun owners, whether they legally or illegally possess their weapons, and those numbers should be reduced if not eliminated. I've never met a legal and responsible gun owner who disagreed. What's your opinion?
Iamwhomiam

Postby NeonLX » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Iamwhomiam » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:05 am wrote:Responsible gun owners, whether hunters or not, are not the problem we're faced with from having an abundance of firearms available to society today, but the danger to society lies with irresponsible gun owners, whether they legally or illegally possess their weapons, and those numbers should be reduced if not eliminated. I've never met a legal and responsible gun owner who disagreed. What's your opinion?

That's a wonderful ideal that I cannot argue with. But pragmatically, what does that mean? How do we identify the irresponsible gun owners, and what do we do about them if we are able to identify them?
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:32 pm

Shoot them.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Cordelia » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:24 pm

JojoCivil » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:47 am wrote:
I pointed out that our physiology, teeth included, have been coevolving with our technology for millions of years. Our teeth changed through use of fire to cook hard foods down.

Off topic rant, I know, but what is it with teeth? Why weren't we animals equipped with imbedded pegs instead? Huge design flaw, imo.
https://biology.stackexchange.com/quest ... y-of-teeth

The video clip of the two cats on page 1 is so heart-breakingly poignant I couldn't watch to the end. It almost looked like his kneading paws were giving the other cat gentle cardiac massage. Animals have taught and given me far more than I can imagine giving them. Cats especially. I think if a quick and clean dispatch isn't possible for a very ill or mortally injured animal in pain, and it's not dangerous or aggressive, it's kindest not to transport it to a vet. What NeonLX did after running over the cat, I think very humane & I don't know if I'd have that courage. If something like that isn't possible, maybe better to just sit with & give comfort to an animal, w/o showing emotion, while it dies.

I don't have a problem w/'responsible' gun ownership either. I can't stand gun hypocrites & am reminded of once 'renowned & respected' journalist Carl Rowan. In the 1970's, I'd sometimes see him around and about where I worked. In addition to his columns & TV appearances, he voiced a syndicated radio program focused primarily on inner city black men, urging them to give up their guns. But, like many of his ilk, he didn't apply his lofty espousals (". . . anyone found in possession of a handgun except a legitimate officer of the law goes to jail--period!") to himself and had to endure public humiliation & ridicule for his fraudulent ideals and advice when, in 1988, he shot (after the police arrived) an unarmed teenager swimming in his pool in the middle of the night ......

"Rowan described the shooting incident early Tuesday morning: "I was awakened about five minutes till 2 by someone messing with my bedroom window. I lay there wondering if I dreamed this. Then I heard a woman screaming or shouting and I thought, God, that sounds like it's on my property."

Rowan said he got up and went to the opposite corner of his house, from where he could peek out to the pool and Jacuzzi area, and "saw four moving bodies. I ran back to my breakfast nook and called the police. Then I waited (for about 10 minutes before police came)."

He became concerned, Rowan said, for the safety of his wife, who was still asleep in their bedroom, and at that moment he remembered that there was a gun in the house--a handgun given him "four or five years ago" by his son, Carl Jr., who was then an FBI agent. His son had been concerned, Rowan said, because "we were getting a lot of death threats in my family. . .stuff I'd written. . .he decided despite my opposition to handguns that it was stupid not to have a gun here."

He found the .22 caliber revolver under some papers in a bureau drawer in the bedroom, along with some bullets, he said. So he loaded it.

Hearing police arrive, he said, he opened a sliding glass door onto his patio, on his way to unlocking a gate to let police in, when he "was confronted by a young man who was smoking something. . . . I realized I was dealing with somebody who was irrational, stoned on drugs, something. . . ."

Continued.....
http://articles.latimes.com/1988-06-16/ ... carl-rowan
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Cordelia » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:27 pm

PufPuf93 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:35 pm wrote:
JackRiddler » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:41 am wrote:

Okay, explain that because I don't get it. Why spray you

Bear sacrifice. Crew gets away. I get munched with hot sauce.
Token of affection? Maybe one had to be there to see humor?

A step in bear domestication (to be on topic)?

Confirmed that pepper spray for a brown bear isn't always a deterrent and can even be a condiment (if taken with a grain of salt).

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/misc/bl-pepper.htm
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion