3D TV could screw you up for good

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

3D TV could screw you up for good

Postby 82_28 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:23 am

This makes some sense. I was at the Sony store some weeks ago and they had a promotional 3D display up. I checked it out for a few minutes. It was almost a little too 3D. It was fascinating however. Video games were sick -- as in hella, crazy cool. There was a demo of a baseball video game. I literally jumped when the pitcher threw the ball "towards" me. Yet something still didn't seem quite right. This article explains why that very well may be.

Keep doing that and you'll go blind

A few days ago I found an odd package waiting in my mailbox. One of the commercial TV networks got my postie to deliver a pair of 3D glasses - very old school, with separate red and blue lenses. I spent a few moments assembling them, and presto! I looked like I'd just walked out of a showing of 1954's Creature From the Black Lagoon.

Now that James Cameron's Avatar has become the highest-grossing film in history, 3D is very hot. The hottest new toys unveiled at this year's Consumer Electronics Show were 3D television sets, 3D Blu-Ray players, and comfortable 3D glasses for the lounge room. At least three US-based cable networks have promised 3D broadcasts will begin sometime this year - for the few people who have 3D television sets. Everyone in the consumer electronics industry sees this as the Next Big Thing: now that everyone has purchased big, flat-screen TVs, 3D is the next logical step, the necessary upgrade that keeps us all on the treadmill of progress. The movie studios have also gotten behind 3D in a big way. Just last week Warner Brothers announced that the two final Harry Potter films will be shot in 3D.

Is this the decade of 3D? It might look that way, but we'd all better hope it turns out quite differently. You see, 3D is not good for you.

How can this be? Isn't the real world in 3D? Yes, the real world of objects is definitely three-dimensional. But that's where the similarity ends. What you're shown on a movie screen - or soon, a television - is not true 3D. That's the source of the problem.

Back in the 1990s I did a lot of development work in virtual reality - another technology destined to be the Next Big Thing. I helped Sega develop a head-mounted display (fancy VR headgear) that could be plugged into the Sega Genesis (known as the Mega Drive in Australia). Everything was going swimmingly, until we sent our prototype units out for testing.

Virtual reality headsets use the same technique for displaying 3D as we find in movies or 3D television sets - parallax. They project a slightly different image to each one of your eyes, and from that difference, your brain creates the illusion of depth. That sounds fine, until you realize just how complicated human depth perception really is. The Wikipedia entry on depth perception (an excellent read) lists ten different cues that your brain uses to figure out exactly how far away something is. Parallax is just one of them. Since the various movie and television display technologies only offer parallax-based depth cues, your brain basically has to ignore several other cues while you're immersed in the world of Avatar. This is why the 3D of films doesn't feel quite right. Basically, you're fighting with your own brain, which is getting a bit confused. It's got some cues to give it a sense of depth, but it's missing others. Eventually your brain just starts ignoring the other cues.

That's the problem. When the movie's over, and you take your glasses off, your brain is still ignoring all those depth perception cues. It'll come back to normal, eventually. Some people will snap right back. In others, it might take a few hours. This condition, known as 'binocular dysphoria', is the price you pay for cheating your brain into believing the illusion of 3D. Until someone invents some other form of 3D projection (many have tried, no one has really succeeded), binocular dysphoria will be part of the experience.

This doesn't matter too much if you're going to see a movie in the theatre - though it could lead to a few prangs in the parking lot afterward - but it does matter hugely if it's something you'll be exposed to for hours a day, every day, via your television set. Your brain is likely to become so confused about depth cues that you'll be suffering from a persistent form of binocular dysphoria. That's what the testers told Sega, and that's why the Sega VR system - which had been announced with great fanfare - never made it to market.

Video games are one of the great distractions of youth. Children can play them for hours every day, and our testers realized that children - with their highly malleable nervous systems - could potentially suffer permanent damage from regular and extensive exposure to a system which created binocular dysphoria in its users. This is the heart of my concern, because 3D television is being pitched as an educational medium - Discovery Channel has announced 3D broadcasts will begin mid-year - and that medium could damage the growing minds it is intended to enlighten.

All of this is rolling forward without any thought to the potential health hazards of continuous, long-term exposure to 3D. None of the television manufacturers have done any health & safety testing around this. They must believe that if it's safe enough for the cinema, it's fine for the living room. But that's simply not the case. Getting a few hours every few weeks is nothing like getting a few hours, every single day.

One of two things is about to happen: either 3D television will quickly and quietly disappear from the market, from product announcements, and from broadcast plans, or we'll soon see the biggest class-action lawsuit in the planet's history, as millions of children around the world realize that their televisions permanently ruined their depth perception. Let's hope 3D in the home dies a quiet death.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2813511.htm
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 3D TV could screw you up for good

Postby 82_28 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:39 am

Navin soon finds out that his glasses invention, now called the Opti-Grab, is selling big and he's entitled to half of the profits; his first check is for $250,000, though Navin initially believes the total to be just $250. He finds and marries Marie, and they hire a live-in butler and chambermaid, despite living in a small apartment. The next check is for $750,000, which he uses to buy an extravagant mansion. Navin doesn't stay rich for long, though, as director Carl Reiner (playing himself) files a class action lawsuit against Navin, claiming that the invention caused his crossed eyes and the death of a stunt driver. Nearly ten million other people have the same complaint and join the lawsuit. Navin is forced to refund $1.09 to every Opti-Grab customer (he is seen hand-writing each check), which bankrupts him. He is also forced to write a check to 'Iron Balls McGinty', a nemesis who had previously physically been attacked by Navin, while discussing ways to keep blacks from renting in an apartment complex.

Depressed, he leaves abruptly wearing nothing but his robe and his pants around his ankles. He claims that the only things he needs to survive are the TV remote control, a paddle-ball game, some matches and a few other items. Living on the streets, he trades all of these items for a thermos, catching the story up to where the movie began. Marie contacts Navin's family, who've carefully invested the small sums of money he sent home throughout the film and become wealthy themselves. They find him (in the first place they look) and pick him up off the street, he and Marie move back home in a "bigger house" (the same old shack, with new rooms added-on and a ten-foot front door), and they live happily ever after. The story ends with the entire family dancing on the porch and singing 'Pick a Bail of Cotton', a old negro spiritual popularized in the 20th century by folk singer Leadbelly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jerk
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby slomo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:57 am

Is there such a problem with ordinary 3D life that we now need virtual 3D?
slomo

Postby 82_28 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:09 am

slomo wrote:Is there such a problem with ordinary 3D life that we now need virtual 3D?

Stupid question mang. Of course the answer to that is an indubitable YES!

(of course I am not calling you stupid)
82_28

Postby slomo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:27 am

82_28 wrote:
slomo wrote:Is there such a problem with ordinary 3D life that we now need virtual 3D?

Stupid question mang. Of course the answer to that is an indubitable YES!

(of course I am not calling you stupid)

Well, OK, I'll bite. Obviously physical 3D reality kind of sucks for a large number of reasons I've detailed in another thread (and would be clear from reading any of the top RI threads at the moment). But how does immersing oneself in a virtual 3D, which is even more of a reality tunnel than "real life", help matters except to provide temporary relief of a form that becomes handicappingly addictive?

82_28, I know we're pretty much of similar minds on this subject, and I ask these questions somewhat rhetorically. Still, it seems that many of my family and friends are busy immersing themselves in Facebook, Twitter, Hulu, online games, and other forms of distraction, while the world burns. Of course, I spend my free time on RI, Reddit, and similar sites, but I like to think that I'm educating myself (as delusional as that might be). In reality, I'm searching for an actionable strategy that will not just unproductively piss away energy of which I have precious little these days.
slomo

Postby Simulist » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:41 pm

That's a good article and interesting information, but I'd actually have to watch 3D-TV for it to screw me up — and I can barely stand more than a few minutes of even conventional TV. Almost all of the programming currently available even among the hundreds of channels now available on the Vast Wasteland grates intensely against my nerves. At minimum, the endless procession of programming is banal, at maximum it is shrill — but nearly all of it is shockingly stupid.

And now we have all of that in "high definition."

Soon it'll be in 3D.

Next it will be in High Definition 3D.

And it'll still be crap.

Go find a good book.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Nordic » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:38 pm

Simulist wrote:
Go find a good book.

Yeah, the Mind's Eye has always been in 3D. And it can smell and taste stuff.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Return to General Discussion